What GW2 is missing compare to GW1: Too Few Armor Set

Which ones you like best are entirely subjective and you'll never get everyone to agree that specific armour styles are better than others. If your vision for how each profession would dress matches Anets and you want all your characters to wear profession specific armour then I suppose GW1 would be better. IMO if you want any more flexibility than that GW2 is far better. For example if you're playing a female elementalist in GW1 and you want something that's not incredibly skimpy you've got a grand total of 3 options (Tyrian, primeval and norn) 4 if you count flameforged but the skirt is pretty short. In GW2 you've got 20-30 or more.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:That is completely subjective, and many of the arnors in GW1 were very similar within each group. And even if some are better, being able to mix and match among more pieces that are more varied means that a unique look can be made by each person. Mixing and matching among the Assassin armors for example doesn’t give near the variation and choice that GW2 offers for any armor weight.

Being able to dye all parts of the armour (on most pieces) also helps with customisation. In GW1 you could only dye certain sections of the armour and the rest remained the default colour, so you had to work with that. For example if you played a ranger large parts of your armour would always be brown and any colour scheme you used had to accomodate that.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:In my experience, few mix-and-matched armors in GW1. Many, many players mix-and-match in GW2. Thus, I would say there are multitudes more armor selections in Guild Wars 2. Not to mention that 3 Professions can share armor styles in GW2, compared to only 1 in GW.

I used to mix and match in GW1. I had a really nice combination on my ranger which would sometimes get comments from other people in groups. (It took me ages to put it together, because there was no preview function, so I had to photoshop the screenshots from the Wiki together to see what would work.)

But then the Hall of Monuments came along and like everyone else I started collecting full sets of elite armour and having got them I didn't want to leave them in the bank or salvage them, so mix and match went out the window and each of my characters wore a set of elite armour which counted for the HoM instead.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Your argument is that the Devs should more strictly design armor where necros look like necros and guardians look like guardians and so on for each profession. In other words, the devs should make more armor that “looks like it should“ for each. However that works only if you agree with the devs. If you don’t then class themed armor is only a boring restriction that limits you in what you can do to make yourself look truly different and, in fact, limits imagination and choice. This would result in more players sticking to the “proper look” and less variation and imagination in armor choices.

Of course, if necro doesn't look like necro, why play the class?

Because a Necro doesn’t have to look the way devs or other players imagine them to look but how you yourself want them to look. That’s why you play a necro that doesn’t look like every other necro.

Sure there should be freedom outside of class sets, but you need class sets first.

Do you? Who has decided that class sets are needed and what a class should look like? Are there mesmers and Ele’s in real life to measure against? No, it’s only video games and just because one game says they look a certain way doesn’t mean another game has to follow that decision. The second game can make up its own rules and decide there is no class sets but many ways for each profession to look.

What restriction? Nobody forces you to wear them, you have other choices. No class armor is another kind of restriction because we don't have it to choose. You are making a bad argument here.

No, no one is forcing it but making class sets that look the same limits variation and choice and reduces the ways to look different.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Because a Necro doesn’t have to look the way devs or other players imagine them to look but how you yourself want them to look. That’s why you play a necro that doesn’t look like every other necro.

Then you can choose other type of armor, why do you take away ppl's rights to look like traditional necro or necro in the game?

Do you? Who has decided that class sets are needed and what a class should look like? Are there mesmers and Ele’s in real life to measure against? No, it’s only video games and just because one game says they look a certain way doesn’t mean another game has to follow that decision. The second game can make up its own rules and decide there is no class sets but many ways for each profession to look.

The dev? They made the class and their dressing style. in both games. Also even in GW2 there are class themed armor, the elite spec ones.

No, no one is forcing it but making class sets that look the same limits variation and choice and reduces the ways to look different.

What are you talking about? Class sets means ppl can make their character to look more like the class, and others can try to dress like that, too. That only helps the game to dress better.

@Danikat.8537 said:Which ones you like best are entirely subjective and you'll never get everyone to agree that specific armour styles are better than others. If your vision for how each profession would dress matches Anets and you want all your characters to wear profession specific armour then I suppose GW1 would be better. IMO if you want any more flexibility than that GW2 is far better. For example if you're playing a female elementalist in GW1 and you want something that's not incredibly skimpy you've got a grand total of 3 options (Tyrian, primeval and norn) 4 if you count flameforged but the skirt is pretty short. In GW2 you've got 20-30 or more.

They can make class sets at the same time with other armor, I don't oppose others can wear each others' armor set. In fact there are class armor, the elite spec ones in GW2.

And yeah, GW2 has a good dye system on cloth but not on weapons like GW1.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Because a Necro doesn’t have to look the way devs or other players imagine them to look but how you yourself want them to look. That’s why you play a necro that doesn’t look like every other necro.

Then you can choose other type of armor, why do you take away ppl's rights to look like traditional necro or necro in the game?

Please stick to reasonable arguments. I’m not a dev, only another player, and I’m certainly not taking away peoples rights to wear what they want. I’m only discussing with you whether your argument is sound and my objections to what you suggest.

The dev? They made the class and their dressing style. in both games. Also even in GW2 there are class themed armor, the elite spec ones.

The devs in a another game made the class and their styles. However this is not that game and the rules, and styles, are different. There’s nothing that says that one game must follow the rules of another game, even if they had some of the same devs.

What are you talking about? Class sets means ppl can make their character to look more like the class, and others can try to dress like that, too. That only helps the game to dress better.

I’m saying that class themed armors, by definition, look very samey if they are designed to match a certain look, for example a “necro armor” would be expected to look like something a necro would wear but not something a mesmer or ele would wear. If the devs make multiple armor sets for each profession that look similar then that causes a decrease in variation, which limits choice as there is less unique items to choose among. As an example, if the devs designed just as many armors where none of them are class themed but each is very different from the other. Much more choice and availability for a unique look and better for the game.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

The Devs have decided that every class can look like whatever they want in that armor weight, and further that if they wanted classes to look their themes they would have done what you keep posting. Clearly after 8 years of adding armor thats not restricted by class they dont want that, thank. Goodness.

Also, your original topic was about the number of skins available per game, not making class armor. this conversation is -way- off topic.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:It depends if you want armor that looks the same and you like that same then yes. If you want more variety then no, GW2 has more variety.

But GW2's overall armor style doesn't look well enough. I tried all skins but most of the sets suck because they were too old or not being set as the "elite set".

GW1 would have more choices if different classes can wear each other's armor.

You shouldn't impose your opinion on others because frankly I can do the same, GW1 overall armor style doesn't look well enough, I tried all skins but most of them look really ugly and out of place. Like that absolute garbage Obsidian armor set that doesn't look good on ANY profession yet for some reason is called "elite". Assassin has exactly 0 good looking sets, Paragon has no set that is even remotely good looking, at least compared to the armor of the Paragon Heroes. Necromancer armor sets were never to my taste but I dislike the entire design of Necromancer in GW1 (aesthetics only, skill/gameplay is fine). Just a few of the top of my head, it's a real struggle to find something that looks good in GW1 because it lacks variety, originality and good looking sets.

Sure, Obsidian sucks other than the Paragon one. Paragon has a few good ones.

Necromancer has a much better themed compare to GW2 since there are no class theme armor. The Vabbian armor is super cool.

People bought Obby armour because they wanted to show off how much they'd earned in the game. You could do the same (albeit with much less of an investment) with Vabbi armour. Obby still looks crap because of a lack of dyeable areas and not much thought gone into looks, despite the cost. Later professions (Nightfall ones in particular) fared better with looks, but core professions just looked silly.

Moral of the story is, just because you have the wealth doesn't mean you have the taste.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

So comparing the 2, maybe GW2 doesn’t have the profession specific armors but they have a good selection compared to the other game plus they have the wardrobe to store them in.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

There are 2,117 armor skins in GW2588 Helmets345 Shoulders274 Coats347 Gloves261 Leggings284 Boots264 Back piecesThere are also 95 outfits

Removing 12 of the Racial armor sets (keep 3 to apply them to all races) and the Mistward armor, which is only heavy, this leads to 248 unique leggings (sets?) of 3 weights. Multiply by 3 (Humanoid, Asura, Charr) because skins unlock for all races at once, and you get a total of 744 + 12 + 1 = 754 armor skins unique to Race + Weight

Still GW1 has a better armor style.

Awesome ... then you should go play it if it's that big a factor for your game satisfaction.

GW2 has nothing to do with how GW1 is made or what it has.

Not going to argue which is better. It would be pointless.However, I would like to see some GW1 armour pieces in GW2.

Such as the Asuran elementalist, ritualist, and I believe Necromancer too.

Ebon Vanguard has pretty neat armour pieces too.

Mesmer females have a short skirt, knee high boots, with a short jacket that look astonishing.Don't remember where you get it at the moment.

Luxons and Kurzicks also have some neat armour, especially for warriors.

There's plenty of armour in Gw2 though I think diversity is the thing most lacking among them.

For example many of the Medium armour tends to have buttcapes which has often been a complaint from players.

Comparing to Gw1 the thing that mostly stood out there was that each class had a very unique style of armour which Gw2 splits between Heavey, Medium and Light instead rather than class specific which is something that I'd deem a negative overall.

Necromancers in Gw1 had a very gothic style that no other class did, but that's been kinda diminished in Gw2 as most light sets are robe like or wizardy in some way with very few fitting the spiky metal armoured Necromancer look from Gw1

Personally i'd like to see more class themed armour sets at some point, not class exclusive but more themed to a specific proffession.Remake more Gw1 armour sets would be awesome as well either as armour or outfits.. I don't really mind which.

But mostly what I want to see is more expensive and presigious elite armour sets.Anet has been adding upgradable sets and that's great but I want to see upgraded/elite sets more like the Ornate Guild Armour and named as such.Luxon/Elite Luxon, Bladed/Fine Bladed, Crystal/Immaculate Crystal.. stuff like that you know, and make them a good quest to obtain so when you do they'll actually feel like something you've earned.A tier 4 set of ascended Racial armour would also be awesome to have as well.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Please stick to reasonable arguments. I’m not a dev, only another player, and I’m certainly not taking away peoples rights to wear what they want. I’m only discussing with you whether your argument is sound and my objections to what you suggest.

So why are you against class themed armor? WHY?

The devs in a another game made the class and their styles. However this is not that game and the rules, and styles, are different. There’s nothing that says that one game must follow the rules of another game, even if they had some of the same devs.

This game is based on the last one, the same world, some of the classes are the same they just change from 250 years ago. It makes sense that they have their style.

I’m saying that class themed armors, by definition, look very samey if they are designed to match a certain look, for example a “necro armor” would be expected to look like something a necro would wear but not something a mesmer or ele would wear. If the devs make multiple armor sets for each profession that look similar then that causes a decrease in variation, which limits choice as there is less unique items to choose among. As an example, if the devs designed just as many armors where none of them are class themed but each is very different from the other. Much more choice and availability for a unique look and better for the game.

Not really, there are many variants. You can also wear some pieces to look good.

For example, the Arah armor is necro liked but my mesmer looks good with the robe. Same for other classes wear the elite spec armor pieces. My DH looks good with the Rev spec shoulder, I can go on with it.

If class themed color would affect variants, then it means many ppl didn't want other styles.

@Dante.1763 said:The Devs have decided that every class can look like whatever they want in that armor weight, and further that if they wanted classes to look their themes they would have done what you keep posting. Clearly after 8 years of adding armor thats not restricted by class they dont want that, thank. Goodness.

Also, your original topic was about the number of skins available per game, not making class armor. this conversation is -way- off topic.What does have to do with my argument?

I didn't make my point clear yesterday because I was tired.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Please stick to reasonable arguments. I’m not a dev, only another player, and I’m certainly not taking away peoples rights to wear what they want. I’m only discussing with you whether your argument is sound and my objections to what you suggest.

So why are you against class themed armor? WHY?

It’s not like you can’t already make a guardian look like a guardian, a necro look like a necro, or a ranger look like a ranger, and so on if you so desire. Your request is to add more of the same, predictable style for each. So I’m against class themed armor for the same reason that you want it, aesthetics. But in my case I find class themed armor boring and predictable and much prefer new, unique armors for a wider range of interesting looks.

This game is based on the last one, the same world, some of the classes are the same they just change from 250 years ago. It makes sense that they have their style.

Do you wear the same style of clothing as people did 250 years ago? Are you aware that styles change as time, centuries in this case, goes by? Why should our chars be expected to wear styles or themed armor from so long ago?

Not really, there are many variants. You can also wear some pieces to look good.

For example, the Arah armor is necro liked but my mesmer looks good with the robe. Same for other classes wear the elite spec armor pieces. My DH looks good with the Rev spec shoulder, I can go on with it.

If class themed color would affect variants, then it means many ppl didn't want other styles.

If class themed armor affected variants then indeed, people didn’t want more of those styles.

@Teratus.2859 said:There's plenty of armour in Gw2 though I think diversity is the thing most lacking among them.

For example many of the Medium armour tends to have buttcapes which has often been a complaint from players.

Comparing to Gw1 the thing that mostly stood out there was that each class had a very unique style of armour which Gw2 splits between Heavey, Medium and Light instead rather than class specific which is something that I'd deem a negative overall.

Necromancers in Gw1 had a very gothic style that no other class did, but that's been kinda diminished in Gw2 as most light sets are robe like or wizardy in some way with very few fitting the spiky metal armoured Necromancer look from Gw1

Personally i'd like to see more class themed armour sets at some point, not class exclusive but more themed to a specific proffession.Remake more Gw1 armour sets would be awesome as well either as armour or outfits.. I don't really mind which.

But mostly what I want to see is more expensive and presigious elite armour sets.Anet has been adding upgradable sets and that's great but I want to see upgraded/elite sets more like the Ornate Guild Armour and named as such.Luxon/Elite Luxon, Bladed/Fine Bladed, Crystal/Immaculate Crystal.. stuff like that you know, and make them a good quest to obtain so when you do they'll actually feel like something you've earned.A tier 4 set of ascended Racial armour would also be awesome to have as well.

Totally!

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:It’s not like you can’t already make a guardian look like a guardian, a necro look like a necro, or a ranger look like a ranger, and so on if you so desire. Your request is to add more of the same, predictable style for each. So I’m against class themed armor for the same reason that you want it, aesthetics. But in my case I find class themed armor boring and predictable and much prefer new, unique armors for a wider range of interesting looks.

Why can't? They have their icon, their skills, of course it makes perfect sense for them to have their style. Even the elite spec have armor pieces. It's not a must do, but a you can choose to be. If most of the ppl chose such predictable same thing, then it means they like it better than the current armor. You have to either accept it or improve current armor style. I think most of the current armor skins doesn't look good enough.

Do you wear the same style of clothing as people did 250 years ago? Are you aware that styles change as time, centuries in this case, goes by? Why should our chars be expected to wear styles or themed armor from so long ago?

No, but of course they should still have their style, just changed from the old era.

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:Why can't? They have their icon, their skills, of course it makes perfect sense for them to have their style. Even the elite spec have armor pieces. It's not a must do, but a you can choose to be. If most of the ppl chose such predictable same thing, then it means they like it better than the current armor. You have to either accept it or improve current armor style. I think most of the current armor skins doesn't look good enough.

That's a highly subjective opinion. What you might think is actually a "good design" could be complete garbage in the eyes of others. Saying they need to improve current design is basically saying you want them to make something that you personally think is good, not something that is universally seen as good by everyone.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:Why can't? They have their icon, their skills, of course it makes perfect sense for them to have their style. Even the elite spec have armor pieces. It's not a must do, but a you can choose to be. If most of the ppl chose such predictable same thing, then it means they like it better than the current armor. You have to either accept it or improve current armor style. I think most of the current armor skins doesn't look good enough.

That's a highly subjective opinion. What you might think is actually a "good design" could be complete garbage in the eyes of others. Saying they need to improve current design is basically saying you want them to make something that you personally think is good, not something that is universally seen as good by everyone.

Yes, that's why I didn't ask them to remove the current design, but to add more, especially class themed ones.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:Why can't? They have their icon, their skills, of course it makes perfect sense for them to have their style. Even the elite spec have armor pieces. It's not a must do, but a you can choose to be. If most of the ppl chose such predictable same thing, then it means they like it better than the current armor. You have to either accept it or improve current armor style. I think most of the current armor skins doesn't look good enough.

Yes, that's why I didn't ask them to remove the current design, but to add more, especially class themed ones.

When Anet adds more, there is ZERO reason to make them class themed. You want more choices .. then you want Anet to impose class restrictions on it. /GG

Anet is giving us what you are asking for already; they are always pumping out sets and outfits, appropriate for many classes. There isn't any armor a class has access to that isn't appropriate for the class, simply by definition of access to it. It's a matter of taste and no argument you have based on your preferences is going to change that.

@Obtena.7952 said:Anet is giving us what you are asking for already; they are always pumping out sets and outfits, appropriate for many classes. There isn't any armor a class has access to that isn't appropriate for the class, simply by definition of access to it. It's a matter of taste and no argument you have based on your preferences is going to change that.No I didn't, I said class themed, not this class only.

Even now there are some skins from elite spec collection, most of them looks cool.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Anet is giving us what you are asking for already; they are always pumping out sets and outfits, appropriate for many classes. There isn't any armor a class has access to that isn't appropriate for the class, simply by definition of access to it. It's a matter of taste and no argument you have based on your preferences is going to change that.No I didn't, I said class themed, not this class only.

Even now there are some skins from elite spec collection, most of them looks cool.

Anet is giving us armors relevant to whatever class you want to play. There isn't any reason to artificially design to a class. I mean, you aren't actually making sense in your ask, because it's a matter of taste what armors are 'good' on whatever class you play, regardless of how anet designs them and if you want more armor options, then you WOULDN'T specify armors designed to a specific class in the first place.

There are hundreds skins they could design based on 'class' that you may or may not like, so your proposal doesn't fix whatever problem you have with armors in this game. The proof is that they ALREADY do this.

@Obtena.7952 said:Anet is giving us armors relevant to whatever class you want to play. There isn't any reason to artificially design to a class. I mean, you aren't actually making sense in your ask, because it's a matter of taste what armors are 'good' on whatever class you play, regardless of how anet designs them and if you want more armor options, then you WOULDN'T specify armors designed to a specific class in the first place.

There are hundreds skins they could design based on 'class' that you may or may not like, so your proposal doesn't fix whatever problem you have with armors in this game. The proof is that they ALREADY do this.

Not really if you ask many ppl. They want more class specific armor.

Yeah different ppl want different style, so it's good to design more.

Ask many people what? What is the problem you are trying to solve here? An armor skin is an armor skin, regardless of how it's labeled. Whether someone likes it or not isn't going to be because it's labeled 'class-specific' .... that's nonsense. No problem is solved by categorizing, but not restricting, armors by class; they could do that NOW. It's a pointless activity.

Seems to me you don't actually know what problem you are trying to solve. It's more like you just want more armor skins and any idea to can pitch out there to justify more is whatever you are willing to hang your hat on. The irony is that Anet already does what you are wanting; they release new armor set and outfits all the time. There isn't anything they can do to make you like them, including making more. it's simply a matter of taste if there are enough armor sets that you like.