Would you love a GW1 remake?

If it was worth the dev time and wouldn't be too much of a hassle, then yes.

Borderlands went back and did similar with their first game which was well-received by their fans. I know I'd play more GW1 if a remaster brought its movement and camera to GW2-like standards (and added jumping).

But it's a number crunch: Would it be worth it to run the servers for a remaster? Would it be worth dev time needed to remaster GW1? Is the Guild Wars franchise strong enough to justify either of those?

I’m not personally interested as I played it for years, did everything I wanted in it and all the people I played with are long gone.

However I don’t see why ANet doesn’t have a small group of devs to work on the game and add updates. It probably brings in a small but steady income the way it is now and adding new content and refurbishing how it looks would bring in new players and increase interest in what they have to offer, as opposed to of letting it sit there abandoned. This would seem to me to be a good business decision.

I think fashion and graphics are best left untouched in some areas; some areas in gw1 wouldn't look out of place in gw2. Plus I think I actually prefer the fashion design in gw1 (especially in regards to class shadows and hairstyles, which just look awkward in gw2).

When I first tried gw1, I couldn't believe the game had been abandoned for six (now seven?) years - I think it actually aged pretty well.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:Keep most of the game mechanics with minor improvement.

Update the character model, emotion and visual and fashion choice greatly. Also if possible let us be able to jump.

I still love the game so much because it's fun in a unique way.

i would definitely like a Guild Wars remake. Obviously, after merging Guild Wars 2 servers and allowing Toxicity run its course, why not?

• 1 Toxic game to its grave
  • 1 Healthy Competitive game is given new breath of life

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:Keep most of the game mechanics with minor improvement.

Update the character model, emotion and visual and fashion choice greatly. Also if possible let us be able to jump.

i would definitely like a Guild Wars remake. Obviously, after merging Guild Wars 2 servers and allowing Toxicity run its course, why not?

Fun fact: accusing everyone else of toxic behavior is toxic behavior.

Have you considered that if they updated the fasion options in GW1 it would almost certainly mean making it more like GW2's armour system which you don't like as much?

The same is likely true for all areas of the game. GW2 was created to improve on GW1 and allow the devs to do all the things they wanted which were impossible in the first game. If they 'updated' it to make it better that would almost certainly mean making it more like GW2. And in that case why not just stick with GW2 which already does all those things they wished GW1 could do, and leave GW1 as it is for the people who prefer it that way.

It would be nice if they could add more areas and things to do to GW1, but I'd be very wary of an update or remake because I think that's just as likely to disappoint all the people who like the game as it is (especially those who prefer it to GW2).

If they made it with a single-player (preferably offline) option with heroes as a default, maybe.

But I don't see much of a point in a complete remake when the company has other issues/focuses at this point in time with neither enough people nor money to go around. They'd pretty much need to redo animations, textures, and models (and probably the engine), and they've been open about how much a nightmare it was to balance the hundreds of skills that every class had access to (with the exception of the class-restricted ones) so I'd expect the skills to be changed and/or culled.

GW1 was a good game, but it was a product of its time and nostalgia only goes so far. It would be better served with a small dedicated team that slowly improved on things rather than an entire remake from the ground up, which would be a huge undertaking to bring everything up to modern standards.

@Trise.2865 said:

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:Keep most of the game mechanics with minor improvement.

Fun fact: accusing everyone else of toxic behavior is toxic behavior.

UGnfIVs.gif

I still play and enjoy Guild Wars.A remake would definately hurt, if not straght kill, the small but nice community there.We recently had a little graphics update and some very nice QoL-additions. I know I am not the only one who went out and bought characterslots and storagepanes after that.

Danikat said it really well:

@"Danikat.8537" said:It would be nice if they could add more areas and things to do to GW1, but I'd be very wary of an update or remake because I think that's just as likely to disappoint all the people who like the game as it is (especially those who prefer it to GW2).

I doubt the current incarnation of Anet has the will or capacity to make a meaningful "remake" - I very much prefer they don't even try!

@Danikat.8537 said:Have you considered that if they updated the fasion options in GW1 it would almost certainly mean making it more like GW2's armour system which you don't like as much?

The same is likely true for all areas of the game. GW2 was created to improve on GW1 and allow the devs to do all the things they wanted which were impossible in the first game. If they 'updated' it to make it better that would almost certainly mean making it more like GW2. And in that case why not just stick with GW2 which already does all those things they wished GW1 could do, and leave GW1 as it is for the people who prefer it that way.

It would be nice if they could add more areas and things to do to GW1, but I'd be very wary of an update or remake because I think that's just as likely to disappoint all the people who like the game as it is (especially those who prefer it to GW2).

I'm mostly refering using the GW2 dye choice and add more new skins for single piece like glove or helm, keep the old ones intact.

@Halandir.3609 said:I still play and enjoy Guild Wars.A remake would definately hurt, if not straght kill, the small but nice community there.We recently had a little graphics update and some very nice QoL-additions. I know I am not the only one who went out and bought characterslots and storagepanes after that.

@"Danikat.8537" said:It would be nice if they could add more areas and things to do to GW1, but I'd be very wary of an update or remake because I think that's just as likely to disappoint all the people who like the game as it is (especially those who prefer it to GW2).

I doubt the current incarnation of Anet has the will or capacity to make a meaningful "remake" - I very much prefer they don't even try!

@Halandir.3609 said:I still play and enjoy Guild Wars.A remake would definately hurt, if not straght kill, the small but nice community there.We recently had a little graphics update and some very nice QoL-additions. I know I am not the only one who went out and bought characterslots and storagepanes after that.

I still do as well. I still love most of the game design, just think the visual could get some update, not the art style.

@Danikat.8537 said:Have you considered that if they updated the fasion options in GW1 it would almost certainly mean making it more like GW2's armour system which you don't like as much?

I'm mostly saying about using GW2's dye system, add some unique single skins and revamp the current cloth model using the same art.

GW1 and GW2 are entirely different game, it would be nice if both are updated to time.

I love GW1 as GW2 (for different reason) if only one thing I want to change on GW1 is to make exploration area become public zone... (just because it feel so lonely when playing alone even at the time the game still popular) that's only reason to keep me come back.

@sorudo.9054 said:GW1 is a jewel that should never change, better yet, the only thing they should do is upgrade the textures but keep everything else untouched.the fashion choice is what ppl want in GW2, not the other way around...

+1

Exactly this, and Gwen's Profession-Mesmer ideology was created and used as a marketing strategic tool in accomplishing that mission