Make story instance that require the use of more complex mechanics

Glow.9385

So I have been replaying the game and am currently to the end of season two - where you play as Caithe. The stealth mechanic was an interesting change of pace BUT it was implemented with too much fear. The whole instance should have been if you are spotted restart from last checkpoint. Instead I could just 1,1,1,1 spam basically everything.And this is the whole of the game pretty much.The new strike missions are a nice addition, as an idea to increase the overall player base skills - but it should be done on a bigger scale - as part of living world. It should be possible for you to at least not complete it, if not fail a story mission instance. Only then will people try to learn the game.

Disclosure: I haven't played much of icebrood yet but nothing I have read or watched so far suggests that this has been fixed

P.S: I know this has been whined about to death, but might as well add one more voice to the group

Edit: edited the title a bit

There's 2 achievements to complete it without being detected through the entire stance, even the boss fight, one normal and one CM if i'm not mistaken, you need those to get the Luminescent Armor.I think in LWS4 too, you have a mission to infiltrate an inquest base, and there's achievements to do it without being detected as well.

Doing these "stealth challenges" as achievements is better, cause a lot of people struggle with this kinda stuff, i have some problems as well, but that's because of my somewhat high ping (160-190).Making 100% stealth missions would make a lot of people pissed, hell, a lot of people already struggle with "1,1,1, spamming" in story missions (Eater of Souls and Scruffy 2.0 comes to mind).

@"Brandon Uzumaki.1524" said:There's 2 achievements to complete it without being detected through the entire stance, even the boss fight, one normal and one CM if i'm not mistaken, you need those to get the Luminescent Armor.I think in LWS4 too, you have a mission to infiltrate an inquest base, and there's achievements to do it without being detected as well.

Doing these "stealth challenges" as achievements is better, cause a lot of people struggle with this kinda stuff, i have some problems as well, but that's because of my somewhat high ping (160-190).Making 100% stealth missions would make a lot of people pissed, hell, a lot of people already struggle with "1,1,1, spamming" in story missions (Eater of Souls and Scruffy 2.0 comes to mind).

to be fair to eater of souls, it was 100% broken depending on your class. My ranger had no issues running through that instance, my guardian didnt either. My thief and ele on the other hand did.

I do agree about 100% stealth missions, i dont enjoy them to frustrating so id rather not have that be mandatory to do a story. Optional, yes, especially when it fits the theme of the mission.

I did give the stealth missions as an example. The game provides lots of mechanics which are just lost because the only and default difficulty is faceroll.I am not even talking about hard core content 0 just challenging with the ability to fail.The first time in glinths layer is one good middle (well almost, it could still have been a little more difficult) ground with the fragility mechanic.I actually cannot recall something from season 4 to be difficult at all.

@Glow.9385 said:So I have been replaying the game and am currently to the end of season two - where you play as Caithe. The stealth mechanic was an interesting change of pace BUT it was implemented with too much fear. The whole instance should have been if you are spotted restart from last checkpoint. Instead I could just 1,1,1,1 spam basically everything.And this is the whole of the game pretty much.The new strike missions are a nice addition, as an idea to increase the overall player base skills - but it should be done on a bigger scale - as part of living world. It should be possible for you to at least not complete it, if not fail a story mission instance. Only then will people try to learn the game.

Disclosure: I haven't played much of icebrood yet but nothing I have read or watched so far suggests that this has been fixed

P.S: I know this has been whined about to death, but might as well add one more voice to the group

Edit: edited the title a bit

The majority of people will stop playing a game when it becomes too difficult for them. They won't increase their skill. GW2 offers challenging content that goes beyond the mere casual open world/story player. But if ANet starts making the story more difficult, the game will lose even more players. That's something they can't afford. The threshold has to be relatively low for the majority of the community to stick around.

The real solution to the lack of challenge in the game is a frequent release of new Raids and Fractals. That's where the challenge lies in this game, but it won't sustain the players who like challenges at this time because those releases are extremely rare. I know it has to do with logistics and availability of developers (as in, there aren't enough of them at this time). Both the last Raid and last Fractal were released 8 months ago. People can only take so much repetition before they get bored and move on to something else. But to increase the difficulty of the main story will be detrimental to the game's community and longevity.