What GW2 is missing compare to GW1: Too Few Armor Set

Gw2 actually has more armor sets to provide- the problem is they're no good compared to Gw1- Gw1 armor sets were incredibly well done while Gw2 ones are meh & often sized incorrectly to fit different races- meaning the only good looking sets are typically cultural-- Mesmer from Gw1 & Elementalist has the best looking sets hands down- they had beautiful corsets and coats with frills & lacing. Sure, that's not everyones cup of tea but the overall design of the armors AND the hairstyles from Gw1 are far better than anything Gw2 has ever offered.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

So comparing the 2, maybe GW2 doesn’t have the profession specific armors but they have a good selection compared to the other game plus they have the wardrobe to store them in.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

There are 2,117 armor skins in GW2588 Helmets345 Shoulders274 Coats347 Gloves261 Leggings284 Boots264 Back piecesThere are also 95 outfits

Removing 12 of the Racial armor sets (keep 3 to apply them to all races) and the Mistward armor, which is only heavy, this leads to 248 unique leggings (sets?) of 3 weights. Multiply by 3 (Humanoid, Asura, Charr) because skins unlock for all races at once, and you get a total of 744 + 12 + 1 = 754 armor skins unique to Race + Weight

Still GW1 has a better armor style.

That is completely subjective, and many of the arnors in GW1 were very similar within each group. And even if some are better, being able to mix and match among more pieces that are more varied means that a unique look can be made by each person. Mixing and matching among the Assassin armors for example doesn’t give near the variation and choice that GW2 offers for any armor weight.

While true in theory, I don't think this holds as true as you seem to think. While there is room for mix and match, some armours just look plain awkward when not worn as a set. For example, different textures on different armours often cause dyes to take on different hues, rendering many combinations jarring depending on your graphics settings (unless you use permafrost or shadow abyss).

And, while it may be subjective, I think I did prefer gw1 ranger armours and hairstyles compared to GW2 (krytan excluded).

@Westenev.5289 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

So comparing the 2, maybe GW2 doesn’t have the profession specific armors but they have a good selection compared to the other game plus they have the wardrobe to store them in.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

There are 2,117 armor skins in GW2588 Helmets345 Shoulders274 Coats347 Gloves261 Leggings284 Boots264 Back piecesThere are also 95 outfits

Removing 12 of the Racial armor sets (keep 3 to apply them to all races) and the Mistward armor, which is only heavy, this leads to 248 unique leggings (sets?) of 3 weights. Multiply by 3 (Humanoid, Asura, Charr) because skins unlock for all races at once, and you get a total of 744 + 12 + 1 = 754 armor skins unique to Race + Weight

That is completely subjective, and many of the arnors in GW1 were very similar within each group. And even if some are better, being able to mix and match among more pieces that are more varied means that a unique look can be made by each person. Mixing and matching among the Assassin armors for example doesn’t give near the variation and choice that GW2 offers for any armor weight.

While true in theory, I don't think this holds as true as you seem to think. While there is room for mix and match, some armours just look plain awkward when not worn as a set. For example, different textures on different armours often cause dyes to take on different hues, rendering many combinations jarring depending on your graphics settings (unless you use permafrost or shadow abyss).

And, while it may be subjective, I think I did prefer gw1 ranger armours and hairstyles compared to GW2 (krytan excluded).

Not to go too far off-topic, but color balancing based on material/specific pieces is part of any art project. You simply can't use exactly the same dyes/mixtures and get exactly the same colors on differently-textured materials.

I, for one, am happy GW2 doesn't force them into uniformity (like GW1 did). It gives the individual pieces depth and character. Needing to use a slightly different shade of red (for example) is a small price to pay for that. (That's why GW2 has hundreds of dyes instead of just 11, btw.)

@Trise.2865 said:

Not to go too far off-topic, but color balancing based on material/specific pieces is part of any art project. You simply can't use exactly the same dyes/mixtures and get exactly the same colors on differently-textured materials.

I, for one, am happy GW2 doesn't force them into uniformity (like GW1 did). It gives the individual pieces depth and character. Needing to use a slightly different shade of red (for example) is a small price to pay for that. (That's why GW2 has hundreds of dyes instead of just 11, btw.)

Using a different shades to make the same colour might work if your intention is to afk in lions arch, but you also have to take lighting into account, which usually messes up any attempt at colour matching. It's not a problem if I play on low graphics... but who wants to do that?

Usually I'd agree that different fabrics would be cool, but we're not exactly selecting shirt/skirt combo's here. We're choosing cut portions of a set of armour, many of which are more akin to awkwardly cut outfits than stand alone clothing. This means certain leggings have buttcapes that I want to colour match, but often struggle to do so due to the awkward midriff gaps between some sets and the aforementioned fabric differences.

Personally, I'd prefer if our dyes affected the armour's material (and some do, to a degree). If I wanted something to look metalic, I should want to use a metallic dye... not spend 30 minutes hunting through grey hues because I can't get my kneecaps and cuirass to match.

@Trise.2865 said:

It doesn't have to force ppl into uniformity, just give ppl the class themed armor to choose.

Of course, GW2has a great dye system.

@Chasind.3128 said:Gw2 actually has more armor sets to provide- the problem is they're no good compared to Gw1- Gw1 armor sets were incredibly well done while Gw2 ones are meh & often sized incorrectly to fit different races- meaning the only good looking sets are typically cultural-- Mesmer from Gw1 & Elementalist has the best looking sets hands down- they had beautiful corsets and coats with frills & lacing. Sure, that's not everyones cup of tea but the overall design of the armors AND the hairstyles from Gw1 are far better than anything Gw2 has ever offered.

True, especially other races don't have cool hairstyles.

I think Necromancer also has some very good sets.

i think the amount of armors isn't the problem, it's the part where an armor skin shines.i can scroll around GW2 armors and see plenty of clones, in GW1 only a few are reskins.also, it's not really fair to compare the two when GW1 is prof specific while GW2 is weight class specific, if the same was done with GW1 you would see plenty of armors just for light class.

all and all, having GW1 armor in GW2 would actually spice things up, adding enough armor skins to be truly unique. (and fix the lack of actual good looking armors)

My problem with GW2 armor would be their Over Design artistic rather than lack of numbers like blade armor would look a lot better without blade all over the place or mistshard set would better without crystal and too many butt cape for both heavy and medium set. I hope to see more simple (but amazing) armor design like Phalanx set (male version) add to the game.

@Terra.9506 said:My problem with GW2 armor would be their Over Design artistic rather than lack of numbers like blade armor would look a lot better without blade all over the place or mistshard set would better without crystal and too many butt cape for both heavy and medium set. I hope to see more simple (but amazing) armor design like Phalanx set (male version) add to the game.

Phalanx looks bad on most of the female toon though.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Terra.9506 said:My problem with GW2 armor would be their Over Design artistic rather than lack of numbers like blade armor would look a lot better without blade all over the place or mistshard set would better without crystal and too many butt cape for both heavy and medium set. I hope to see more simple (but amazing) armor design like Phalanx set (male version) add to the game.

Phalanx looks bad on most of the female toon though.

That's why I said Male version, I also disappoint on how different it look for female version despite I cheer for more skimpy armor in the game but female version simply terrible for my taste.

Like some people have said already GW2, especially in addition of all the cultural armor sets and dungeon sets, have a TON of equipment skins already to choose from.I'm sure some people like it and I respect that but I feel too many armor sets, especially all the new sets just look like modern art. Designers trying too hard to be unique instead of designing equipment that fit regular beauty/cool/rpg standards(for men/women). There are some but holy shit are they limited. Most equipment skins just look ugly and are never seen used on anybody.I don't mean to offend but just look at other games that rely on cosmetics for revenue. Look at gw2 social media posts of people sharing their character designs and compile the ones people like the most and use that data.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

It doesn't have to force ppl into uniformity, just give ppl the class themed armor to choose.

We already have lots of armor choice, so what problem are you trying to solve?

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:It doesn't have to force ppl into uniformity, just give ppl the class themed armor to choose.I still don't get what exactly "class themed armor" means. Do you have any visual examples? What makes a piece of heavy armor guardian themed but not warrior or revenant themed? How does a necromancer's robe differ from an elementalist's? And why should my favourite mesmer wear those god-awful styles they had to wear in GW1 (sorry, but while I love the mesmer class in both games, I really don't like the mesmer armor style in the first one)?

When thinking about class themes in GW2, I usually think about colours, not shapes, and you can just switch those via dyes to any colour scheme you like. You must be thinking about something else, but I can't quite grasp what it is that makes class themed armor different to "just more different pieces of light/med/heavy armor".

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Not to go too far off-topic, but color balancing based on material/specific pieces is part of any art project. You simply can't use exactly the same dyes/mixtures and get exactly the same colors on differently-textured materials.

I'm...not sure you understood what I was saying, but I interpret your overall statement to mean "Please give us more armor skins, ANet. Specifically, I would like it if you could adapt more of the GW1 designs into GW2. Thank you.".

With that, I can whole-heartedly agree.