Free Equipment Respec

Nether.9741

With the new balance patch please give all accounts a free equipment respec.I fully understand your need to do a balance patch but someone that plays all the classes and has more than once account this massive patch will make it impossible for me to pay for all the fixes. Your need to fix the game should break my gold bank account that I worked so hard to get (and trust me it is not a lot).

Honestly, I would so appreciate that you not only balance the game but not punish the player in the process

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure this would even be possible. If it's an item which originally had selectable stats they could maybe reset it to having no stats so you can choose again, but what about items which always have a specific stat combination? Especially ones where it's not possible to change the stats.

They could maybe add an NPC to 'sell' the Anthology of Heroes and master insignia's for free to allow changing ascended equipment for just the cost of the ectoplasm. But I think it would have to be limited on a per character basis - let you buy 11 anthologies and 11 insignia's total (enough to change 1 full set of equipment, including 4 weapons and an aqua breather) but no more, to stop people stocking up on free ones and then reselling them later on.

But if you're not using ascended or stat-selectable equipment I don't know what they could do.

On a related note if they do offer some way to change your equipment stats I hope it's something the player has to activate. I'm not expecting to change most of my characters equipment and I use a lot of stat-selectable pieces just because they're the sensible ones to save because I'm more likely to be able to use them. It would be really annoying if I had to go through all of them and put the stats back to what they already are just because someone thought I might want different ones on a character.

The only part about changing gear that bugs me is the cost of upgrades. It is pretty normal for a set of 7 runes to run you 35-40g, and sigils can be 5g each. As more demand for those will appear, expect the prices to spike (so stock up on extras if you haven't already).

Not a problem for legendary gear ofc, but there it is.

Let's face it: one of the main reasons ANet has to even do balance changes is to keep people busy and playing the game, not only by giving them incentive to learn and adapt to the new skill balance, but also by giving them incentive to go after new equipment that better suits the newly balanced skills and traits.

Giving people an instant way of adapting their characters/equipment to the reworked skills and traits cuts out a major part of the benefit of the balance update, to the point of making the investment of developing the whole thing useless.

You are not playing a static single player game, but an online game that changes and evolves. There is no such thing as a finished character, since updates always have the chance of changing stuff you've gotten used to. Adapt to it, either by accepting that your equipment is not the theoretical best for whatever you plan to play (but is still plenty good enough to keep the whole game easily playable for you), or by going out and getting new equipment if what you have no longer satisfies you after the update.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that the game will continue to change and evolve. There's no guarantee ever that what seems best now will always stay the best, but even if it no longer is the best, this game fortunately is playable in a lot of setups, and while you can't count on your best in slot equipment staying best in slot, you can count on the fact that it will still be good enough to be viable in all game modes.

@Rasimir.6239 said:Let's face it: one of the main reasons ANet has to even do balance changes is to keep people busy and playing the game, not only by giving them incentive to learn and adapt to the new skill balance, but also by giving them incentive to go after new equipment that better suits the newly balanced skills and traits.

Giving people an instant way of adapting their characters/equipment to the reworked skills and traits cuts out a major part of the benefit of the balance update, to the point of making the investment of developing the whole thing useless.

You are not playing a static single player game, but an online game that changes and evolves. There is no such thing as a finished character, since updates always have the chance of changing stuff you've gotten used to. Adapt to it, either by accepting that your equipment is not the theoretical best for whatever you plan to play (but is still plenty good enough to keep the whole game easily playable for you), or by going out and getting new equipment if what you have no longer satisfies you after the update.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that the game will continue to change and evolve. There's no guarantee ever that what seems best now will always stay the best, but even if it no longer is the best, this game fortunately is playable in a lot of setups, and while you can't count on your best in slot equipment staying best in slot, you can count on the fact that it will still be good enough to be viable in all game modes.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

@Nether.9741 said:With the new balance patch please give all accounts a free equipment respec.I fully understand your need to do a balance patch but someone that plays all the classes and has more than once account this massive patch will make it impossible for me to pay for all the fixes.

If you've been playing on multiple accounts, you have also benefited from those multiple accounts. The login rewards alone over a few months, not even to mention years, would make up more than any current cost for changing gear within the established system. Not wanting to reinvest these profits for a singular patch, if even necessary, is your personal choice.

@"aspirine.6852" said:I dont even really care if it is free, I would buy a gear respec...

Let me introduce you to: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing

For everything else @Rasimir.6239 pretty much nailed it.

The only thing one might add would be:

• chances are very high that pve is not as affected as pvp/wvw since this is primarily a competitive balance mode chance
  • chances are very high that current best in slot damage gear will remain the same (aka berserker, marauder, viper, etc)
  • chances are high that current best in slot support gear will remain the same, maybe with some alterations as far as boon duration is concerned

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Nether.9741 said:With the new balance patch please give all accounts a free equipment respec.I fully understand your need to do a balance patch but someone that plays all the classes and has more than once account this massive patch will make it impossible for me to pay for all the fixes.

If you've been playing on multiple accounts, you have also benefited from those multiple accounts. The login rewards alone over a few months, not even to mention years, would make up more than any current cost for changing gear within the established system. Not wanting to reinvest these profits for a singular patch, if even necessary, is your personal choice.

@"aspirine.6852" said:I dont even really care if it is free, I would buy a gear respec...

Let me introduce you to:

For everything else @Rasimir.6239 pretty much nailed it.

The only thing one might add would be:
  • chances are very high that pve is not as affected as pvp/wvw since this is primarily a competitive balance mode chance
  • chances are very high that current best in slot damage gear will remain the same (aka berserker, marauder, viper, etc)
  • chances are high that current best in slot support gear will remain the same, maybe with some alterations as far as boon duration is concerned

Yeah 95% of my stuff is still exotic. I don't care much for crafting.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:This is the only benefit for legendary armor and you want to take it away.

Mate, you are wrong on so many levels. We get that you are proud of getting your legendary armor. But it has nothing to do with this request.

@Rasimir.6239 said:Let's face it: one of the main reasons ANet has to even do balance changes is to keep people busy and playing the game, not only by giving them incentive to learn and adapt to the new skill balance, but also by giving them incentive to go after new equipment that better suits the newly balanced skills and traits.

I agree with you to a point. However, I think those changes are big enough for players to request some level of compensation.Further, of all game modes WvW is said to have worst gold/hour ratio.Different thing would be if they've done minor balance patch or introduced another stat combination.

Since this is purely WvW thing, I think option to buy certain number of Upgrade Extractors for Testimony of Heroics and maybe even inscriptions would make lot of people happy.

@"Rasimir.6239" said:Let's face it: one of the main reasons ANet has to even do balance changes is to keep people busy and playing the game, not only by giving them incentive to learn and adapt to the new skill balance, but also by giving them incentive to go after new equipment that better suits the newly balanced skills and traits.

If only those "PvP players" understand instead of quitting.

Unless you mean ascended triumphant WvW armor which requires skirmish tickets or PvP armor which requires ascended shard of glory , I don't see a point. Also it shouldn't be free : requiring badges of tribute/memories of battle/testimonies of heroics/shard of glory along with anthology of heroes and the insignia wouldn't be too far fetched. For a regular ascended item it's an anthology of heroes, 5 globs of ectoplasm, insignia/inscription.

Yes you can upgrade ascended triumphant armor to legendary, but it takes 1095 tickets per piece so most people don't do so unless they play WvW more or less exclusively. Before I did legendary mistforged sets to avail myself of this, I mystic forged a triumphant hero piece a while ago to marauder so that was a bad idea as it set me back some tickets. Once you mystic forge a triumphant piece it is unusable to upgrade to legendary.

Rings are infused/attuned to reset stats if you don't have full slots on them. Blood ruby amulet , backpiece, and rings are good for this reason because you can reset the stats. The same goes for mist trinkets (Mist talisman,mist band,mist pendant). Make sure to use the infusion extractor if you have infusions in them.

@"Shadowmoon.7986" said:This is the only benefit for legendary armor and you want to take it away.

How is "one time gear respec after a massive damage stat crunch that affects '~900 skills and traits'" even remotely the same as subverting the on demand stat change ability of legendary gear?

Did you seriously just see "free respec " and go full contrarian mode without actually considering what was being asked?

@Ultramex.1506 said:

@"Rasimir.6239" said:Let's face it: one of the main reasons ANet has to even do balance changes is to keep people busy and playing the game, not only by giving them incentive to learn and adapt to the new skill balance, but also by giving them incentive to go after new equipment that better suits the newly balanced skills and traits.

If only those "PvP players" understand instead of quitting.Whether the amount of players quitting because of the balance patch has a larger or smaller impact on the game than the amount of players quitting because "nothing to do" is a question ANet alone can decide.

If free respeccing is a thing, why shouldnt it become a thing in pve, too? Most or all pve meta builds need changing after a) new stat introduction (see diviner stats) or b) balance changes (see power sword weaver and condi sword weaver, staff weaver is dead, chrono killed etc). Should those players not get a free respec, as well?

@Voltekka.2375 said:If free respeccing is a thing, why shouldnt it become a thing in pve, too? Most or all pve meta builds need changing after a) new stat introduction (see diviner stats) or b) balance changes (see power sword weaver and condi sword weaver, staff weaver is dead, chrono killed etc). Should those players not get a free respec, as well?

How many MMORPGs do you know that throw out free respecs and free gear changing after each balance patch? How many MMORPGs do you know that, once a player has reached max gear, treat that gear as always best in slot? Not even GW1 did that, and that's barely an MMORPG.

Where does this mentality come from that having max gear entitles one to always have the most relevant gear in PvE? It is befuddling to me. It makes sense in a competitive game mode which main goal is competition and not the character development, not so much in PVE.

Meanwhile players keep complaining that they have nothing to do or the game gets stale, yet some are actively advocating to make such rare occurrences as balance patches as meaningless as possible.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:If free respeccing is a thing, why shouldnt it become a thing in pve, too? Most or all pve meta builds need changing after a) new stat introduction (see diviner stats) or b) balance changes (see power sword weaver and condi sword weaver, staff weaver is dead, chrono killed etc). Should those players not get a free respec, as well?

How many MMORPGs do you know that throw out free respecs and free gear changing after each balance patch?

FF14 lets you change your class on demand. Dragoon got nerfed? Guess I'll play Ninja now.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Voltekka.2375" said:If free respeccing is a thing, why shouldnt it become a thing in pve, too? Most or all pve meta builds need changing after a) new stat introduction (see diviner stats) or b) balance changes (see power sword weaver and condi sword weaver, staff weaver is dead, chrono killed etc). Should those players not get a free respec, as well?

How many MMORPGs do you know that throw out free respecs and free gear changing after each balance patch? How many MMORPGs do you know that, once a player has reached max gear, treat that gear as always best in slot? Not even GW1 did that, and that's barely an MMORPG.

Where does this mentality come from that having max gear entitles one to always have the most relevant gear in PvE? It is befuddling to me. It makes sense in a competitive game mode which main goal is competition and not the character development, not so much in PVE.

Meanwhile players keep complaining that they have nothing to do or the game gets stale, yet some are actively advocating to make such rare occurrences as balance patches as meaningless as possible.

I disagree with free respeccing. I just dont get the whole "Let me have free statswap after balance patch" now, since it has never happened in pve.

@Substance E.4852 said:

How many MMORPGs do you know that throw out free respecs and free gear changing after each balance patch?

FF14 lets you change your class on demand. Dragoon got nerfed? Guess I'll play Ninja now.

FF14 has a progressive gear grind...

@Voltekka.2375 said:

I disagree with free respeccing. I just dont get the whole "Let me have free statswap after balance patch" now, since it has never happened in pve.

Exactly, that's why I don't get why suddenly players are calling for stat resets because of a balance patch which to a great chance will not even affect best in slot gear.