In your opinion, is GW2 too hard?

@Westenev.5289 said:

@Xenash.1245 said:After all these years I still see people that don't know what combo fields are.

Can you blame them? You could delete every field except light, water, smoke and maybe fire - and nobody would notice due to how little impact they have in battle.

Little impact and the fact that stacked on top of each other like in any type of open world content they cancel each other out and it's random which one gets combo'd in. Maybe if they disappear after a few procs they could become more interesting.

I think the problem Anet have is finding the right point inbetween the two. Open world and living story could be a little bit more difficult and maybe make sure that the people who really only hit 2k dps think about adjusting their builds sometimes.

Raids cms can be punishing aswell as 100cm fractal , other than everything else is piece of cake. Anet should think about making solo challenging content since they putting more weight on solo content. Like real hard bosses, intense fights but solo. Maybe sometimes you get to summon ally. You get my point ? I want souls/borne-like challenges with GW2 style.

In my opinion, the game is at the same time too easy and too hard. The combat system makes the difference between good and not so good players extremely big. So the hard content is balanced to the absolutely best power gaming people, and the easy content is balanced to the people who are not good in fighting. This makes the hard content out of reach of all people except the power gaming types, and the easy content out of reach for most as well, because it appears uninteresting for most except the weakest.

If the combat and equipment system were not making the power spread so big, more content would be available to more people, because the difficulty spread between the hardest and the easiest content doesn't need to be so extremely big.

IMHO, Anet has created an unbalanced game where glass cannon builds are considered optimal, but mobs from veteran up are armed with extra long CC attacks and massive damage capable of one or two shotting people in those builds. This is especially notable on bosses, whose "mechanics" often consist of nothing but barrages of lethal AOE one after another in different shapes like an old "bullet hell" game, and it's virtually impossible to avoid everything amid all the visual noise. I can't count the number of times I've lost a fight just to sheer sensory overload.

I also highly dislike the forced emphasis on melee combat and stacking up in a universe filled with bows, guns, magic, siege engines, artillery, Vigil Megalasers, and massive ranged AOE from every boss. At some point, the "fantasy RPG" aspect needs to give in to reality, and the GW universe is well past that technological point when it comes to ranged vs. melee combat.

The last strike mission is nice and raids/fractals/dungeons as well. Story is easy, the npcs literally can solo most of it (I went dinner in a hot story instance to find the story completed by the end of it). In open world you can just auto attack things down. Even when it comes to worldbosses this game possibly had the easiest ones of all games I have played and those were casual too. Tripple trouble is a nice worldboss tho, you can actually go down there and fail it if you don't do mechanics.

@"Jimbru.6014" said:IMHO, Anet has created an unbalanced game where glass cannon builds are considered optimal, but mobs from veteran up are armed with extra long CC attacks and massive damage capable of one or two shotting people in those builds. This is especially notable on bosses, whose "mechanics" often consist of nothing but barrages of lethal AOE one after another in different shapes like an old "bullet hell" game, and it's virtually impossible to avoid everything amid all the visual noise. I can't count the number of times I've lost a fight just to sheer sensory overload.

I also highly dislike the forced emphasis on melee combat and stacking up in a universe filled with bows, guns, magic, siege engines, artillery, Vigil Megalasers, and massive ranged AOE from every boss. At some point, the "fantasy RPG" aspect needs to give in to reality, and the GW universe is well past that technological point when it comes to ranged vs. melee combat.

Risk versus rewards essentially. Those that choose to do more damage at the cost of passive defense and/or those that choose to fight in melee versus camping at range are taking on more risk by doing the former rather than the latter.

That sounds like balance to me. What would be unbalanced is a bearbow player in PVT gear doing comparable damage to a melee player in berserkers.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:I don't think GW2 is easy or hard - but I do think it's somewhat unfair. Attacks require reactions to avoid, yet the NPC's have few tells and damage just sort of happens.

What NPCs have no tells with attacks you
have to
avoid?

Awakened canids come to mind. being CC locked by them is so fun. but the number of mobs that do that are few and far between.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:The open world is waaaaay too easy.And that's without mentioning that it hasent kept up with power creep.

But this is more so due to how little consequence death Caries now.

-always-

Death never had consequences in this game, aside from the armor repair cost, which was minimal.

@Hannelore.8153 said:I'm not sure if this thread is a joke, but I have my Ele in mostly glass gear (Marshal's w/ Celestial trinkets), and I only barely struggle in most content, even the latest stories and meta events, and that's the weakest class defense wise and a glassy support gear combination.

I can't imagine this game being even a slight challenge for someone on a meta class & build for example.

id be surprised if most players ran meta builds + gear.

And even if they did, i doubt theyd understand how to use it. Given how large the disparity of DPS is between average players and good players.

You're basically saying here that the average player is a moron

Not me. Anet has given the qoute on the massive DPS disparity. Im sure alot of can be put down to no reason to try*(not how i feel about it) in open world, but hey say what you want on that.

Probably because the open world doesn't resist at all and falls down to spamming autos. But still, you doubt they would be able to understand a build? that's low

I do yes. Ive set up builds for my parents and they cant figure out how to use them properly, or they outright refuse to use the weapons attached to the build(super frustrating.). Im sure thats not the majority of players, but im sure they exist elsewhere.

I do yes. Ive set up builds for my parents and they cant figure out how to use them properly, or they outright refuse to use the weapons attached to the build(super frustrating.). Im sure thats not the majority of players, but im sure they exist elsewhere.

I have this issue with my dad. He grew up with click-to-move and click-to-attack games where you just stood there and attacked--dodging and maneuvering around weren't an option. In GW2 he manages fine with most open world mobs, as long as he plays a ranger with a pet to tank damage, or a warrior, revenant, or necromancer with tanky options. But give that man an elementalist or a thief, and he's liable to get eaten by the nearest deer or ornery crab. And for some of the end-of-content bosses, like Mordremoth and Balthazar, he cannot do it without help--regardless of what class he plays. He also has no understanding of builds. I've geared his characters in the past.

Hard for me to say about entire game. for me it's depend on chapter.

Core GW2 (Risen) = Too Easy (Too Simplistic pattern only with OP stat and unfair skill, you know they're coming but can't do anything against it.)

HoT (Mordrem) = Challenge (Cool attack pattern and with clear warning sign, really impress me when I play HoT for the first time after the core game make it feel like complete different game.)

PoF (The Forge) = Medium (I feel like they're downgrade version of Mordrem but still pose some challenge but I really love their visual design! too bad we might never see them again XD)

Season 4 (Mordant Crescent/Awaken) = It's feel like upgrade version of Risen... boring pattern unfair skill and good only at stat.

I'd say overall the technical difficulty is fine, however the tools needed to play them are lacking.

Strikes are the first thing that come to mind. They aren't hard, per se, but finding a group of people to do the harder ones is difficult and time consuming if you don't have enough friends/ a guild that does them. Even easy fights get harder if you have people regularly failing mechanics and few people are doing substantial damage and even fewer can heal or spread boons.

Raids suffer from this as well, as there's no easy way to find a group built into the game. (LFG is terrible and still time consuming, assuming you don't get kicked randomly or fall victim to a squad merge troll).

There's also the issue of escalating visual noise and lack of attack telegraphs which make content needlessly frustrating under the guise of challenge.

All that said, though, GW2 is pretty good with open world difficulty and players are able to change up how hard or easy content is by changing their class, spec, or gear. It would just be nice if there was some more help available for players to learn mechanics and whatnot without just throwing them to the metaphorical wolves and hoping they don't get so frustrated they quit.

Guild wars 2 difficulty ...

It's either too easy or very hard and nothing in between

For example most of the open world pve content is so easy that you could sit there and auto attack with all the other players and itll be a pass

But then there is the hard or very hard content - raids.Majority of players in game wont or cant do this content because they have never been introduced to hard fail mechanics where if you stuff a mechanic up or didnt dodge aoe it costs you or the whole squad to wipe.

There is nothing really in between the two... which either trains the players for mechanics or to teach how important it is to dodge.Fractals I would probably put towards the easier side and strike...... is a bit of a shambles right now..(Skinner bugged, whispers released suddenly to almost raid difficulty)

Not sure how anet can fix but definitely still missing that mid-hard content to teach players that ur dodge is actually important and mechanics need to be done in end game content.

I feel like this is affected by the age of players especially those who grew with GW2I was like age 23 and GW2 core I felt was pretty challenging and fun. Doing JP and Vistas without mounts, exploration took real effort. When HOT came out and difficulty scaled with new content, it was fantastic, I spent many many hours exploring the world, getting really high up and gliding really far distances. With jumping mushrooms, ley lines, using Oakheart's Essence to swing from wall to wall trying to solve puzzles.I'm 29 now and POF is perfect. Pretty chill and there is difficult content if you choose to partake but it is not required, like raids and CMs. I'm way too old and too much stuff going on in my life, that I'm really happy with the current state of the game.

95% of the game, the whole game's bread and butter is easy/relaxing and good content, but raids and top fractals are too disproportionally hard. The option i chose doesn't reflect my overall meaning about game, just the top content which is where you eventually want to land. Both numbers wise and mechanically, too much happening both in pacing of events as well as your manuever space is too small and not in a way to react to it you have to know it and move for it beforehand and sit around waiting for it because it's too punishing in timing for intuitive play. It must be premeditative play, and it undermines attraction to the content.

There are serious mmo's for difficult raiding, i don't think gw2 should strive for filling this niche. It should strive for a balance more similar to rest of game, relatively forgiving and with ample time to dodge abilities, but heavily punishing if you ignore it. Currently, there is almost no time to react in top content, you must know and practice quite a lot to handle it and i don't feel it is at home in gw2. At least makes me not ennjoy it, and not want to get into it. I can learn pretty much anything but the journey to get there as well as how unrelaxing it is when you learn it given reaction times turns me right off. I am not the youngest me anymore where i had something to prove to myself, now i want to enjoy what i do.

I think like HoT is ideal mechanical balance for me, you have time to react, but if you just ignore it you also get punished hard. If raids/top fractals mechanics were tuned to be more forgiving with reaction times and somewhat reduced in damage, you would rid the game of a lot of elitism as well as there was no need to be so elitist with the teampick.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:The open world is waaaaay too easy.And that's without mentioning that it hasent kept up with power creep.

-always-

Death never had consequences in this game, aside from the armor repair cost, which was minimal.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I'm not sure if this thread is a joke, but I have my Ele in mostly glass gear (Marshal's w/ Celestial trinkets), and I only barely struggle in most content, even the latest stories and meta events, and that's the weakest class defense wise and a glassy support gear combination.

I can't imagine this game being even a slight challenge for someone on a meta class & build for example.

And even if they did, i doubt theyd understand how to use it. Given how large the disparity of DPS is between average players and good players.

Not me. Anet has given the qoute on the massive DPS disparity. Im sure alot of can be put down to no reason to try*(not how i feel about it) in open world, but hey say what you want on that.

Probably because the open world doesn't resist at all and falls down to spamming autos. But still, you doubt they would be able to understand a build? that's low

I'd take that wager. I think most players in open world are actually clueless when it comes to game knowledge and if you give them a meta raid build they wouldn't be able to figure out what it's doing. I'm not even referring to rotations, but just general "logic behind the build". If any of the streamers are any indication, people struggle with even keeping the boss targetted so they can auto attack it.

I find it very variable on a lot of factors. The most important being: Player skill.

There is no getting around that the combat system in gw2 is player-skill based, ANet themselves admitted that the difference could be as large as 10x the damage output between the extreme ends of skill. And we've seen it often enough over the years when someone complains that a dungeon is brutal while another player just soloed the dungeon etc.

This could be a topic in itself, and has been quite a few times. But I don't see this change anytime soon, which puts a very hard limit on "difficulty" in the game.

Besides that, it also depends on mode/sub-mode:

• PvP/WvW = Basically depends on your opponent (or server numbers).
  • Dungeons = Closest we have to middle ground.
  • Fractals = Runs a very wide scope from easy to hard.
  • Raids = Supposed to be the hardest in the game.
  • Story = Generally on the Easy to Medium range.
  • Open World Tyria/Core = The easy mode.
  • Open World HoT = About Medium.
  • Open World (rest) = Between Tyria and HoT.

So if anything it's focused on Easy-Medium for things you can play "solo", while a Medium-Hard for things you need a group for.

Judging from this, I'd expect most of the complaints that wants harder content to be from players that want solo challenges, and a few that just ran out of group instances to beat up. As well as people complaining about the difficulty of grouped instanced content. That sounds about what I remember seeing on the forums.

TLDR: If we look away from Player-Skill, I think there is a lot of variety in difficulty through the game, but that they're split up between different sections of the game. If you want a section that isn't there, you're out of luck.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:I don't think GW2 is easy or hard - but I do think it's somewhat unfair. Attacks require reactions to avoid, yet the NPC's have few tells and damage just sort of happens.

have to
avoid?

Awakened canids come to mind. being CC locked by them is so fun. but the number of mobs that do that are few and far between.

-always-

@Hannelore.8153 said:I'm not sure if this thread is a joke, but I have my Ele in mostly glass gear (Marshal's w/ Celestial trinkets), and I only barely struggle in most content, even the latest stories and meta events, and that's the weakest class defense wise and a glassy support gear combination.

Candids have a plenty long tell. They will face you and burrow for like 5 seconds and then pop out and cc you. If you cant react in 5 seconds I'm not sure any tell will be helpful.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

have to
avoid?

-always-

Candids have a plenty long tell. They will face you and burrow for like 5 seconds and then pop out and cc you. If you cant react in 5 seconds I'm not sure any tell will be helpful.

Issue isnt when they are alone, its when you are fighting a group of other mobs. But yes, otherwise the tell is fine.