Add Global Chat to PvE

Lonecap.4105

Basically an equivalent of WvW team chat which can allow you to talk to all other players who are in PvE across all maps (but not in PvP/WvW, and only if they have the channel added to their tab). So someone can announce they're tagging for Dragon's Stand for example, and someone semi-afk in Mistlock will read, and they might decide to go do that.

I just think since the game has such an emphasis on doing lots of little different things, it would help tremendously to have a channel where you can coordinate people or even just find something to do. I know obviously LFG serves this purpose to an extent but doesn't really help if you're not sure what to do.

@"kharmin.7683" said:This was discussed before https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/85000/global-chat

Ah yes, well the truth is most things we discuss here have had topics discussing them before, but this is more about how people would feel about global chat now. I think earlier in the game's life it would have been too chaotic to control, but these days I think it would be a lot easier to manage.

How about an option to add alerts to LFG tabs? Something to tell you when someone puts a message there. So if the person semi-afk in Mistlock is interested in Dragon's Stand they could activate the alert on that tab and get notified that there's a group forming, but the person next to them who hopes to never go back there ever again and the free player who couldn't go there even if they wanted to don't see it, and instead only see messages which are relevant to them?

I think that would serve the same purpose of calling attention to LFG messages for people who aren't currently looking at that section of the menu but without the problems a global chat channel would cause. Mainly the issue that it would be so full of spam or useful messages which aren't relevant to you that many players would disable it and never see the messages which are relevant to them.

@Danikat.8537 said:How about an option to add alerts to LFG tabs? Something to tell you when someone puts a message there. So if the person semi-afk in Mistlock is interested in Dragon's Stand they could activate the alert on that tab and get notified that there's a group forming, but the person next to them who hopes to never go back there ever again and the free player who couldn't go there even if they wanted to don't see it, and instead only see messages which are relevant to them?

I think that would serve the same purpose of calling attention to LFG messages for people who aren't currently looking at that section of the menu but without the problems a global chat channel would cause. Mainly the issue that it would be so full of spam or useful messages which aren't relevant to you that many players would disable it and never see the messages which aren't relevant to them.

That seems like a nice compromise whilst dealing with the issue of potential misuse... +1

I understand the potential benefits of it, however I think there would be angreater disadvantage of players turning it off due to spam and toxic chat and thus defeat the point. I know I would turn it off to avoid what will inevitably devolve into. No global channel I have seen has been a positive experience for me in an MMO.

So whilst the suggestion has intentions at heart, the result would not be as you describe it

As long as I can turn the damn thing off, IDC. I think it would be useless. How many messages would it be spitting out per minute? I'm guessing to many to even keep track of but if you just want non-stop scrolling bars of text polluting the corner of your screen this would definitely get the job done.

@Danikat.8537 I love that idea. I always hate that I have to constantly be check in with LFG for the odd chance that I might stumble upon a group doing some of the less played content (like dungeons) Being able to set an alerts would be a great QoL improvement.

I’d actually like there to be a ‘World’ chat. It would only be for those on your ‘servers (world). Where all outs for WvW could be placed, with a limited leash on ‘spam’. More so than current map chat.

Might assist newer players to access WvW for specific times, and possibly assist in bring more interest to the mode.

Of course, abuse could be easy.

Maybe limit it to being visible in cities only.

And like any other channel, be able to toggle it off.

With the current mega server existence, I would be surprised if many people knew their server/world.

A> @Strider Pj.2193 said:

I’d actually like there to be a ‘World’ chat. It would only be for those on your ‘servers (world). Where all outs for WvW could be placed, with a limited leash on ‘spam’. More so than current map chat.

Might assist newer players to access WvW for specific times, and possibly assist in bring more interest to the mode.

Of course, abuse could be easy.

Maybe limit it to being visible in cities only.

And like any other channel, be able to toggle it off.

With the current mega server existence, I would be surprised if many people knew their server/world.

I remember when we use to send runners to LA (and all the other cities) to rally defenders. Having WvW team chat accessible from PvE would be a fantastic tools to monitor what is going on in the war while to do other things.

I'd be fine with a global chat so long as it met two criteria:

• Off by default (Lessens spam and confusion for new players, gives more choice to players who've existed this long without a worldwide chat and don't need/want one)
  • Easy On/Off toggle like we have for other channels.

We can argue all day long about how a global chat channel might be used or abused, but if it's optional and still subject to the TOS, it has zero impact on me and therefore I have no reason to oppose it.

In theory it might sound like a good idea, but also in theory if you aren't sure what to do seeing it in a Global chat channel(that most people won't even have on) probably isn't going to help that much either, you get the same effect from browsing the LFG function without the many drawbacks(usually).

As for world specific global chat for WvW messaging. If they ever put in the WvW Guild Alliance update then that will completely remove the Worlds in both PvE and WvW. Since they are still working on that then it’s not likely they’ll put in world specific global chat for WvW messaging just to (hopefully) remove it later.

Definitely no. Team chat in WvW is horrible and whenever I have a look I have to report and block half the people in it, and in general it moves too fast to respond. And that's just 1-3 servers with less than a thousand people. A global PvE chat would be magnitudes worse. All you have to do is look at LA or Mistlock or Silverwastes chat to know exactly what people would do if they could spam everyone playing.

I'd prefer it if you could "watch" LFG channels and get a ping with the LFG title whenever someone lists their group. Far easier to contain and monitor that than a global chat.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Basically an equivalent of WvW team chat which can allow you to talk to all other players who are in PvE across all maps (but not in PvP/WvW, and only if they have the channel added to their tab). So someone can announce they're tagging for Dragon's Stand for example, and someone semi-afk in Mistlock will read, and they might decide to go do that.

I just think since the game has such an emphasis on doing lots of little different things, it would help tremendously to have a channel where you can coordinate people or even just find something to do. I know obviously LFG serves this purpose to an extent but doesn't really help if you're not sure what to do.

So you want a global game channel were 100k+ players are spamming messages constantly? It'd be pretty messy and you'd end up using lfg anyway bc you couldn't keep up with the spam.

I have a tip- Use the Event Timer on wiki once in a while and continue to use lfg when you are bored and looking for something to do.

Gotta admit though it would be funny.

Imagine being at Tripple Trouble or something and the map chat is filled with a mix of commanders teaching people what to do and a bunch of people RPing in different towns, coupled with the usual random chat spam going on in DR with edgy comments and out of nowhere random ranting of someone who just gambled all their ecto away and then some new player trying to find out how to contine the personal story all the while your guild is talking about getting a raid group together and someone is raging cause they can't complete a JP.

Just absolute chaos xD