In your opinion, is GW2 too hard?

@amnessa.6154 said:Raids cms can be punishing aswell as 100cm fractal , other than everything else is piece of cake. Anet should think about making solo challenging content since they putting more weight on solo content. Like real hard bosses, intense fights but solo. Maybe sometimes you get to summon ally. You get my point ? I want souls/borne-like challenges with GW2 style.

It is too easy. The issue is if we make open world harder, by BM pushing mobs HP and damage, all will happen people who know what they are doing well run more defensive utilities and trait line? Result, will be the same as we are now, but slower. If you push the difficulty further, people will need to start running open world PvE in groups with dedicated support builds.

I think that mobs just need to have some mechanics. Most of the time you can ignore everything and just AA. The game needs to create more more mechanics to make the game play engaging.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:I don't think GW2 is easy or hard - but I do think it's somewhat unfair. Attacks require reactions to avoid, yet the NPC's have few tells and damage just sort of happens.

What NPCs have no tells with attacks you
have to
avoid?

Awakened canids come to mind. being CC locked by them is so fun. but the number of mobs that do that are few and far between.

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:The open world is waaaaay too easy.And that's without mentioning that it hasent kept up with power creep.

But this is more so due to how little consequence death Caries now.

-always-

Death never had consequences in this game, aside from the armor repair cost, which was minimal.

@Hannelore.8153 said:I'm not sure if this thread is a joke, but I have my Ele in mostly glass gear (Marshal's w/ Celestial trinkets), and I only barely struggle in most content, even the latest stories and meta events, and that's the weakest class defense wise and a glassy support gear combination.

I can't imagine this game being even a slight challenge for someone on a meta class & build for example.

id be surprised if most players ran meta builds + gear.

And even if they did, i doubt theyd understand how to use it. Given how large the disparity of DPS is between average players and good players.

You're basically saying here that the average player is a moron

Not me. Anet has given the qoute on the massive DPS disparity. Im sure alot of can be put down to no reason to try*(not how i feel about it) in open world, but hey say what you want on that.

Probably because the open world doesn't resist at all and falls down to spamming autos. But still, you doubt they would be able to understand a build? that's low

I do yes. Ive set up builds for my parents and they cant figure out how to use them properly, or they outright refuse to use the weapons attached to the build(super frustrating.). Im sure thats not the majority of players, but im sure they exist elsewhere.

I don't get it. They cant or cant be bothered to? What's the point of playing a RPG if you don't understand your build?

@Shikaru.7618 said:

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:The open world is waaaaay too easy.And that's without mentioning that it hasent kept up with power creep.

-always-

Death never had consequences in this game, aside from the armor repair cost, which was minimal.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I'm not sure if this thread is a joke, but I have my Ele in mostly glass gear (Marshal's w/ Celestial trinkets), and I only barely struggle in most content, even the latest stories and meta events, and that's the weakest class defense wise and a glassy support gear combination.

I can't imagine this game being even a slight challenge for someone on a meta class & build for example.

And even if they did, i doubt theyd understand how to use it. Given how large the disparity of DPS is between average players and good players.

Not me. Anet has given the qoute on the massive DPS disparity. Im sure alot of can be put down to no reason to try*(not how i feel about it) in open world, but hey say what you want on that.

Probably because the open world doesn't resist at all and falls down to spamming autos. But still, you doubt they would be able to understand a build? that's low

I'd take that wager. I think most players in open world are actually clueless when it comes to game knowledge and if you give them a meta raid build they wouldn't be able to figure out what it's doing. I'm not even referring to rotations, but just general "logic behind the build". If any of the streamers are any indication, people struggle with even keeping the boss targetted so they can auto attack it.

Because they cant or cant be bothered to understand? Either way if you don't understand your build there's no point playing a RPG.

There are to many extremes one way or the other . Generally the game is fairly easy. But some events require an entire zerg in order to complete and finding those large groups gets harder and harder to find as new content gets introduced. Some achievements have become nearly impossible or totally impossible to complete . Raids have become elitist when they should have had levels like fractals so that lesser skilled players can enjoy them as well and become more skilled in those events.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

-always-

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I'm not sure if this thread is a joke, but I have my Ele in mostly glass gear (Marshal's w/ Celestial trinkets), and I only barely struggle in most content, even the latest stories and meta events, and that's the weakest class defense wise and a glassy support gear combination.

I'd take that wager. I think most players in open world are actually clueless when it comes to game knowledge and if you give them a meta raid build they wouldn't be able to figure out what it's doing. I'm not even referring to rotations, but just general "logic behind the build". If any of the streamers are any indication, people struggle with even keeping the boss targetted so they can auto attack it.

Because they cant or cant be bothered to understand? Either way if you don't understand your build there's no point playing a RPG.

You seem to forget that RPG stands for "role play game". Success or Failure are always a result of player decisions - but those decisions should be up to the player to make. Otherwise, you're just telling people how to have fun - even if your fun is "optimal".

How do we even define challenging content? It may be almost impossible to find a common denominator here. Anything from not being able to complete story instances first try to finishing all CM bosses on their release day has been called challenging at some point.

My personal definition goes something like this:Content that requires me to put a real effort into. Anything that requires me/us to retry for a few hours to be able to achieve the first kill or completion. Not counting any time spend on watching guides or figuring out mechanics on release day and even more basic stuff like gearing your character or coming up with builds.

There is certainly a lack of challenging content if I go by this defintion. But it is just one subjective view out of many.

I won't talk about the game as a whole but ever since the Isnooze Saga started it's been a snooze fest (hence the name). It's boring and lacks any kind of challenge, the story instances are, for lack of better word, pathetic. It's puzzling how new content for a 7 year old game is easier than the content that was available during the early years. The open world isn't any better, meta events with barely any mechanics, a world boss that is shallow and boring compared to past bosses, unimaginative mobs that are like core tyria versions with a skin upgrade and so on. What happened to the company that gave us Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire? Are they so desperate to get new players to play the game that they created this "Saga" as an extended tutorial?

The difficulty is fine with me. I'm a fairly casual player, in that I don't care to go into detail with builds - I find what works, I figure out how to play my class passably well, and that's good enough for me. I don't do raids or fractals or WvW; I'm mostly here for PVP, open-world stuff, and the story. And that's challenging enough to keep me on my toes and keep me engaged, but not too stressful or difficult to figure out.

I voted for "not too hard", because everything can be achieved, BUT mostly with players who know what to do. Raids and Fractals will be wipe-fiesta if half of your squad/party doesn't know what to do. Same with new Strike Mission. Take random derps and for sure they will kill someone at chain machanic + probably DPS won't be high enough to reach gold or even silver. Take experienced players with meta builds, supports, a healer, and for sure content will be super easy.

@kharmin.7683 said:What this poll (and others like it) fail to take into account is the varying levels of skill that the player community has. Of course some will find GW2 easy whereas others will not. This has less to do with the content than with individual skill.

That's kinda the whole point, to see what people think of the game difficulty with relation to their abilities.

While I absolutely do believe there should be a balance between easy, moderate and hardcore content, I think the game not only leans way too much on the easy side, the easy it does it also way too easy.For example, with proper gear and build, the vast majority of open world and story mobs literally, and I mean literally, die to one button press, be it Icerazor's Ire on a power Renegade, Sword of Justice on a Condi FB, or what have you.The fact that the majority of the player base fights mobs of which about 90% (especially in core) can be killed in 1-3 seconds by pressing one button is actually insane to me (and barely qualifies as gameplay), so is the confusion on Anet's part why those players then struggle to get into more difficult (although still fairly easy) content.Ofc there is no skill progression on the part of those players when the game stays almost completely static in difficulty over 7 years, from the first time someone plays, to two expansions down the line in max level living world areas.

It ends up being a self-perpetuating issue, where the game is so incredibly easy that players never actually have to learn how to play it, to a point where they actually struggle with even the super easy content, which unfortunately lead Anet to only produce incredibly easy content going forward as to not leave any players behind, further and further widening the gap between players who actively seek out challenging content and teaching themselves how to play, and those who never did.

Which eventually lead us to the current state in which we can find complain threads about unbeatable story bosses, which proficient players burst down in 10 seconds, not even getting in a full damage rotation and ruining their gameplay and story experience due to ludonarrative dissonance, where the boss is supposed to be a threatening big bad and cool story beat, but the gameplay consists of casually pressing 5 buttons and watching the boss melt before you can even get a proper look at it.

So I do think the game over all is way too easy, and it's actually been quite harmful to the game and it's design over the years, facilitating an environment and culture in which even the slightest demands of skill and knowhow/effort are seen toxic and unacceptable, keeping the game eternally locked in tutorial difficulty, instead of progressing naturally over the years, providing a persistent enjoyable experience to players as they grow in skill along with the games difficulty and interesting new mechanics.

Yes, its way too hard, and its difficulty comes squarely from having to deal with a massive barrage of ludicrous effects that completly cover the enemies, their animations and mechanics with no posible way to tone them down without screwing yourself in the process

Because if you lower the config for particles or models, the game engine wisely decides that you wanted to hide the 10 mobs attacking you 30 ft away or the boss' ground circle of death, but wanted to keep the nearby idiots with disco pink dye schemes spamming trillions of seizure-inducing particle effects with every keypress on screen, all the time

I'd pay gems for a working "disable particles that you REALLY dont need to see" toggle setting.

Expansion level content right there.

Again, I really want to know which one is it. If they lack the capacity to understand how a certain build works then nothing can done about that, a game can't help someone who is impaired. I find it hard to believe though that players with impairments are a major population.If they can't be bothered to then their choice of game seems really odd but that at least I can understand. If someone wants to just copy a build and run around failing that's their choice to make, perhaps their masochists? I don't know. If a MMORPG attracts a lot of players who cant be bothered to comprehend how their build works something is really wrong. This is especially allarming since GW2 gives you a lot of freedom in build crafting. You never really have to play a build you don't like. The emphasis is always on understanding your build and the mechanics of the battle.

@kharmin.7683 said:What this poll (and others like it) fail to take into account is the varying levels of skill that the player community has. Of course some will find GW2 easy whereas others will not. This has less to do with the content than with individual skill.

The game design does contribute to the huge player skill gap. GW2 plays as ARPG, compared to traditional MMO that has more emphasis on GCD (which is typically 1.5 secs). GW2 requires much faster input, dodging and positioning, to be played correctly. But for the most part, most of the core Tyria game play can be played by standing still and AA. One of the game devs hinted before that an efficient veteran player can deal nearly 10x damage of regular player.

The game needs to do better in terms of teaching its players. And it needs to add more mechanics to mobs at level 80.

@Westenev.5289 said:

-always-

You seem to forget that RPG stands for "role play game". Success or Failure are always a result of player decisions - but those decisions should be up to the player to make. Otherwise, you're just telling people how to have fun - even if your fun is "optimal".

Again, I really want to know which one is it. If they lack the capacity to understand how a certain build works then nothing can done about that, a game can't help someone who is impaired. I find it hard to believe though that players with impairments are a major population.If they can't be bothered to then their choice of game seems really odd but that at least I can understand. If someone wants to just copy a build and run around failing that's their choice to make, perhaps their masochists? I don't know. If a MMORPG attracts a lot of players who cant be bothered to comprehend how their build works something is really wrong. This is especially allarming since GW2 gives you a lot of freedom in build crafting. You never really have to play a build you don't like. The emphasis is always on understanding your build and the mechanics of the battle

I don't think these three options are by any means sufficient, its depends alot on how you play/what you play and other such factors. You can make it very easy with an optimal build or a sufficient amount of people. But also pretty hard by just taking whatever you like or just going it alone.

Also open world is different than instanced content not to speak of WvW/PvP.

If only difficulty was as easy as too easy or too hard and just right.

Especially people thinking players are playing wrong are already in the wrong mindset. It just doesn't work that way.

Although I think there could be a little more challenging content I find it reasonably balanced. Core Tyria is easy and great for learning you classes. HoT is where you start learning to get good. PoF was more of the same, content was a little easier than HoT. Fractals are the perfect example of balanced content which could use a little more at the top end of the skill ladder but all in all Anet really nailed it with this. Raid are for the those who really want to push themselves and test their skills. There's something for everyone in this game.

For me:

Open world is a slaughter fest if you build for it with a few mobs that make you think. Just about right for open world.

Fractals has a good range of skill levels, so plenty there for everyone.

Dungeons, could do with a difficulty tweak, too much running half way through dungeons without stopping going on.

Pvp, balance is OK in comparison to every other mmorpg, offers a good challenge in the main.

Wvw, is easy if you know when to run your ass off :)