DRAKKAR SIZE COMPARISONS

Vyko.6953

Here are my new renders of new Elder dragon champion and world boss - Drakkar!As you can see, he has very detailed model and its the same size type as Vlast, Glint and Elder Aurene.I made comparisons with a human, Aurene, Vlast and Claw of Jormag (they are both Jormag's champions so it should make sense).I added those pictures on wiki and also a measurement of his size, in Trivia on Drakkar's wiki page.Enjoy this beautiful creature!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/5/51/Drakkar_human.jpghttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/1c/Drakkar_Aurene_Vlast_comparison1.jpghttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/40/Drakkar_Aurene_Vlast_comparison2.jpghttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Drakkar_Claw_comparison2.jpghttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/a/a2/Drakkar_Claw_comparison1.jpg

and one render from perspective:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/3/32/Drakkar_render1.jpg

more are coming - renders of Elder Aurene and Kralkatorrik!

Drakkar does have back legs huh..

His shadow really doesn't depict that for me, I thought he only had front legs and was more like a Lindwurm style Dragon.This is also similar to what I picture Jormag to look like as well.

a Lindwurm Dragon, Serpent Body Two front Claws (similar to how Jormag's Whisper looked)a Amphithere Dragon, Serpent Body with Wings.I think Jormag will be a mix of them, A Serpent with front claws and Wings.

Some of Jormag's artwork depicts Jormag with wings as does the Sons of Svanir Banners which depict a winged ice dragon.

Whilst I despise Aurene, her latest model is pretty neat - it's def one of the nicest Dragon models. I don't mind the Drakkar look, but I forget sometimes how utterly different it is. The silhouette seems very different compared to the actual model as well

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:The more I see this model, the less it looks like this and the more it looks like this.

Where's the second image from?

@Randulf.7614 said:Whilst I despise Aurene, her latest model is pretty neat - it's def one of the nicest Dragon models. I don't mind the Drakkar look, but I forget sometimes how utterly different it is. The silhouette seems very different compared to the actual model as well

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:The more I see this model, the less it looks like
and the more it looks like

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ice_column_statue

The pulled model of the creature from the game is a lindwurm as @"Teratus.2859" was talking about, with a very long tail.

Here is a very quick comparison between GW1 models. From left to right: Primordus, Ice Column Statue, Kuunavang (top), Glint (middle), Baby Dragon Vlast (bottom), Drakkar.

Same models from the side.

And from the top, with a Shatterer to compare to GW2 models. Suffice it to say: Drakkar shrunk. And Primordus grew To be specific, the side difference in OG Primordus' head to GW2 Primordus' head is approximately 100x in scale.

This was just a very quick pull of models and textures. You can easily tell that there's some fuckery afoot with the textures here and there.

That F bomb didnt get censored to Kitten xD

I do hope there is an explination for Primordus size.Drakkar has been mutated and shaped by Jormag into the form it is in Gw2.. so that may explain some of it's size loss but likely not all of it.

I still like the idea that the Primordus we see in LW3 was actually a giant Super Destroyer Primordus created around himself to serve as armour and a means of tunneling through the world.Could certainly lead to a cool fight once we get down his throat and discover the real Primordus hanging there by it's tentacles like some big Dragon Spider ^^

@Teratus.2859 said:That F bomb didnt get censored to Kitten xD

I do hope there is an explination for Primordus size.Drakkar has been mutated and shaped by Jormag into the form it is in Gw2.. so that may explain some of it's size loss but likely not all of it.

I still like the idea that the Primordus we see in LW3 was actually a giant Super Destroyer Primordus created around himself to serve as armour and a means of tunneling through the world.Could certainly lead to a cool fight once we get down his throat and discover the real Primordus hanging there by it's tentacles like some big Dragon Spider ^^

Drakkar's GW1 model was supposed to be Jormag at first, the Ice Column creature resembles GW2 Drakkar more than the GW1 Drakkar.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Whilst I despise Aurene, her latest model is pretty neat - it's def one of the nicest Dragon models. I don't mind the Drakkar look, but I forget sometimes how utterly different it is. The silhouette seems very different compared to the actual model as well

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:The more I see this model, the less it looks like

The pulled model of the creature from the game is a lindwurm as @"Teratus.2859" was talking about, with a very long tail.

. From left to right: Primordus, Ice Column Statue, Kuunavang (top), Glint (middle), Baby Dragon Vlast (bottom), Drakkar.

. Suffice it to say: Drakkar shrunk. And Primordus
grew
To be specific, the side difference in OG Primordus' head to GW2 Primordus' head is approximately 100x in scale.

This was just a very quick pull of models and textures. You can easily tell that there's some fuckery afoot with the textures here and there.

I really wish to know Ice Column creature more. Never thought it was so big.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

. From left to right: Primordus, Ice Column Statue, Kuunavang (top), Glint (middle), Baby Dragon Vlast (bottom), Drakkar.

grew
To be specific, the side difference in OG Primordus' head to GW2 Primordus' head is approximately 100x in scale.

I'm going to have to revisit the area. I don't even remember seeing it!

@Randulf.7614 said:

grew

I'm going to have to revisit the area. I don't even remember seeing it!

it was beautiful.

@"Teratus.2859" said:I do hope there is an explination for Primordus size.Drakkar has been mutated and shaped by Jormag into the form it is in Gw2.. so that may explain some of it's size loss but likely not all of it.

I imagine the reason is largely a change in lore direction. During some point in EotN/GW2 development, they decided that Drakkar was "too small" (despite being far larger than Glint), and Primordus is the same size (though we only have 1/3rd of his model actually made, their head sizes and positions to shoulders is roughly proporational, so the rest of Primordus' original body was likely of similar length to Drakkar). Instead, it seems they wanted all Elder Dragons to resemble the size of Kralkatorrik, who's mere back was the size of all of Drakkar / Primordus in GW1.

Since at the time of post-EotN, they had established that the statue = Primordus, but didn't establish that "the Drakkar Beast" (as internally called then) was the Elder Ice Dragon, they pre-release retconned it to being a dragon champion rather than the dragon itself as was originally planned.

It wouldn't be surprising if they took the scale of Drakkar as the basis for the dragon champions' sizes in GW2, as shown in my images, GW1 Drakkar is roughly the size of The Shatterer, Tequatl, and Claw of Jormag.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:I really wish to know Ice Column creature more. Never thought it was so big.

Its size isn't so surprising to me, but the comparison to Glint and Kuunavang, is. I had thought they were closer to each other in size.

I wish I could compare them to Rotscale and The Great Destroyer, but their models get all sorts of odd when grabbing with ninjaripper. Gonna try using 3dRipper soon.

@Randulf.7614 said:I'm going to have to revisit the area. I don't even remember seeing it!

Be sure to look up. ;) That's probably why you missed it. It's high up.

Considering where the last episode left off, I am hoping that the next map will be based around that area and said last location becomes a new upgradable Hub like the Suns Refuge.

If it does then maybe we'll get to see that Ice Column Dragon alive/corrupted in the near future.Not to mention possibly getting to return to the Battledepths and the CTC.. maybe even go check out Primordus original resting place.

@Teratus.2859 said:Considering where the last episode left off, I am hoping that the next map will be based around that area and said last location becomes a new upgradable Hub like the Suns Refuge.

If it does then maybe we'll get to see that Ice Column Dragon alive/corrupted in the near future.Not to mention possibly getting to return to the Battledepths and the CTC.. maybe even go check out Primordus original resting place.

Depends on whether they're using the location, or the dialogue as the suggestion to next location. If it's location - I agree, Norrhart Domains + Ice Cliff Chasm for Ep3/4 map. But given the dev comments, seems theyr'e gonna go the route of the dialogue suggestion, which implies charr territories. Maybe we'll get to see Sacnoth Valley and eastern Dalada Forest.

@Teratus.2859 said:Considering where the last episode left off, I am hoping that the next map will be based around that area and said last location becomes a new upgradable Hub like the Suns Refuge.

@Teratus.2859 said:I do hope there is an explination for Primordus size.Drakkar has been mutated and shaped by Jormag into the form it is in Gw2.. so that may explain some of it's size loss but likely not all of it.

I imagine the reason is largely a change in lore direction. During some point in EotN/GW2 development, they decided that Drakkar was "too small" (despite being far larger than Glint), and Primordus is the same size (though we only have 1/3rd of his model actually made, their head sizes and positions to shoulders is roughly proporational, so the rest of Primordus' original body was likely of similar length to Drakkar). Instead, it seems they wanted all Elder Dragons to resemble the size of Kralkatorrik, who's mere back was the size of all of Drakkar / Primordus in GW1.

Since at the time of post-EotN, they had established that the statue = Primordus, but didn't establish that "the Drakkar Beast" (as internally called then) was the Elder Ice Dragon, they pre-release retconned it to being a dragon champion rather than the dragon itself as was originally planned.

It wouldn't be surprising if they took the scale of Drakkar as the basis for the dragon champions' sizes in GW2, as shown in my images, GW1 Drakkar is roughly the size of The Shatterer, Tequatl, and Claw of Jormag.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:I really wish to know Ice Column creature more. Never thought it was so big.

Its size isn't so surprising to me, but the comparison to Glint and Kuunavang, is. I had thought they were closer to each other in size.

I wish I could compare them to Rotscale and The Great Destroyer, but their models get all sorts of odd when grabbing with ninjaripper. Gonna try using 3dRipper soon.

@Randulf.7614 said:I'm going to have to revisit the area. I don't even remember seeing it!

Be sure to look up. ;) That's probably why you missed it. It's
high
up.

And Drakkar's size is close to Primordus, not why did Anet thought it was too small as Jormag.

It was totally unnecessary because Drakkar has no personality, it was just a tool of Jormag.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I do hope there is an explination for Primordus size.

It's been awake and feeding off of magic for a couple of hundred years now. The Commander has put a lot into the system as well.

I think it's so large simply to let you see it clearly without showing the entire dragon, it will have a smaller model.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:And Drakkar's size is close to Primordus, not why did Anet thought it was too small as Jormag.

It was totally unnecessary because Drakkar has no personality, it was just a tool of Jormag.

Well, as proven by Season 3, they thought Primordus in GW1 was too small too. So...

And Drakkar could have been interesting. They just... dropped the ball... again... like with Lazarus, and Dhuum.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

It's been awake and feeding off of magic for a couple of hundred years now. The Commander has put a lot into the system as well.

That is one common player theory to explain the size change. But it'd be best if it came out of ArenaNet's mouth, and not be on the shoulders of players to try to explain continuity issues.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:And Drakkar's size is close to Primordus, not why did Anet thought it was too small as Jormag.

Well, as proven by Season 3, they thought Primordus in GW1 was too small too. So...

And Drakkar
could
have been interesting. They just... dropped the ball... again... like with Lazarus, and Dhuum.

That is one common player theory to explain the size change. But it'd be best if it came out of ArenaNet's mouth, and not be on the shoulders of players to try to explain continuity issues.

LW3 Primordus was way too big, I think it's only to let ppl see it clearly. The whole model would be smaller.

Zhaitan and Mordremoth' body was the size dragons should have. Kralkatorrik was ok since it was meant to be like a mountain from the beginning.

I agree that Primordus is way too big, but it wasn't to let people see it clearly - we saw Zhaitan's and Mordremoth's sizes clearly, after all.

As for Zhaitan - Zhaitan's model was shrunk due to engine limitations - just like how Kralkatorrik has four sizes in his various models. Zhaitan's original model was fairly close to Kralkatorrik's smallest model (from The End). Jormag's tooth also fits Kralkatorrik's size from All or Nothing (second largest model) fairly well. Whether one considers Kralk's four sizes too big or not, they do seem to be the intended range of Elder Dragon sizes for lore. More or less.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I agree that Primordus is way too big, but it wasn't to let people see it clearly - we saw Zhaitan's and Mordremoth's sizes clearly, after all.

As for Zhaitan - Zhaitan's model was shrunk due to engine limitations - just like how Kralkatorrik has four sizes in his various models. Zhaitan's original model was fairly close to Kralkatorrik's smallest model (from The End). Jormag's tooth also fits Kralkatorrik's size from All or Nothing (second largest model) fairly well. Whether one considers Kralk's four sizes too big or not, they do seem to be the intended range of Elder Dragon sizes for lore. More or less.Yeah, in-game the "Glory of Tyria" airship was like bigger then Zhaitain's whole body(though not including the length of his tail or width of his wings.

The loading screen for "The Ruined City of Arah" make it look like Zhaitan should be so large that the Glory would only be about the size of his head.

I consider that would be closer to his real size if engine limitations weren't an issue back then,

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I agree that Primordus is way too big, but it wasn't to let people see it clearly - we saw Zhaitan's and Mordremoth's sizes clearly, after all.

As for Zhaitan - Zhaitan's model was shrunk due to engine limitations - just like how Kralkatorrik has four sizes in his various models. Zhaitan's original model was fairly close to Kralkatorrik's smallest model (from The End). Jormag's tooth also fits Kralkatorrik's size from All or Nothing (second largest model) fairly well. Whether one considers Kralk's four sizes too big or not, they do seem to be the intended range of Elder Dragon sizes for lore. More or less.Yeah, in-game the "Glory of Tyria" airship was like bigger then Zhaitain's whole body(though not including the length of his tail or width of his wings.

The
for "The Ruined City of Arah" make it look like Zhaitan should be so large that the Glory would only be about the size of his head.

I consider that would be closer to his real size if engine limitations weren't an issue back then,

Such an awesome loading screen

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

The
for "The Ruined City of Arah" make it look like Zhaitan should be so large that the Glory would only be about the size of his head.

The loading screen shows regular airships, which are about a third of the Glory of Tyria's scale. Still a difference in size between in-game and the concept art, but not as big as you make it. Though I do think that artpiece would put Zhaitan's size at his old model's scale, given this comparison.

That, and the fact they use false perspective in the final mission to make Zhaitan look larger (like they do, in a different method, with Kralkatorrik during The End), is why I tend to take Zhaitan's original model to be his "lore size". Which is also puts it at a much more reasonable comparison to Kralkatorrik's The End model.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

And Drakkar
could
have been interesting. They just... dropped the ball... again... like with Lazarus, and Dhuum.

LW3 Primordus was way too big, I think it's only to let ppl see it clearly. The whole model would be smaller.

Zhaitan and Mordremoth' body was the size dragons should have. Kralkatorrik was ok since it was meant to be like a mountain from the beginning.

Yeah, I think the same, its that big only due to be better visible from far. As we can see with Kralkatorrik's size, his original size in PoF (when we could see only his head in the sky) was about 2x larger than his current size, burried by mists chunks. The neck in the cave was different size and the flying model is another size. so i think Primordus will be resized too, at least to the size of actual Kralk.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:The loading screen shows regular airships, which are about a third of the Glory of Tyria's scale. Still a difference in size between in-game and the concept art, but not as big as you make it. Though I do think that artpiece would put Zhaitan's size at his old model's scale, given this comparison.

That, and the fact they use false perspective in the final mission to make Zhaitan look larger (like they do, in a different method, with Kralkatorrik during The End), is why I tend to take Zhaitan's original model to be his "lore size". Which is also puts it at a much more reasonable comparison to Kralkatorrik's The End model.Please read my post before you respond to it next time. I never said the loading screen showed anything other then regular airships. I said the loading screen's size put him at a size to where the Glory should be only as big as his head instead of his whole body.