What GW2 is missing compare to GW1: Too Few Armor Set

@"kharmin.7683" said:While 73 replies to a forum thread might constitute "many people" in one's opinion, I'm fairly certain it represents an extremely small sub-set of the entire player base.

Many of them are done by the same few ppl. Also this thread wasn't made carefully. It's fair to say a big number of the player base.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:While 73 replies to a forum thread might constitute "many people" in one's opinion, I'm fairly certain it represents an extremely small sub-set of the entire player base.

Many of them are done by the same few ppl. Also this thread wasn't made carefully. It's fair to say a big number of the player base.

True or not, it's irrelevant. People already have what you seem to be asking for so if they want it, great, they got it.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:Not really if you ask many ppl. They want more class specific armor.

Citation needed for those "many people" and what they want.

I asked my play group and no one wants this. So, using that for my evidence, I say that this should not be implemented because no one wants it.

True. it's a waste of time to simply label armor sets according to class for no reason.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Evidently, 'many people' aren't on the forums. How odd!

Even in this thread you can see quite a few.

a very few of the same reposters. Me, Inculpatus and you make up the majority of responses to this thread.

@"kharmin.7683" said:While 73 replies to a forum thread might constitute "many people" in one's opinion, I'm fairly certain it represents an extremely small sub-set of the entire player base.

Most of them are disagreeingwith Slowpokeking as well, or they are asking for clarification on what his original post was.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

No, its not. If it was a big number of the player base you would see far far more people asking for this. Like you did with mounts, capes, nerfing the HOT open world, the massive angst with the upcoming balance patch, and the responses on the post from the team lead.

I see people requesting GW1 armor, but not what you are asking for.

@Dante.1763 said:No, its not. If it was a big number of the player base you would see far far more people asking for this. Like you did with mounts, capes, nerfing the HOT open world, the massive angst with the upcoming balance patch, and the responses on the post from the team lead.

Because the topic was not clear, simple.

GW1 armor is nearly all class themed. You just contradicted yourself.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:No, its not. If it was a big number of the player base you would see far far more people asking for this. Like you did with mounts, capes, nerfing the HOT open world, the massive angst with the upcoming balance patch, and the responses on the post from the team lead.

Because the topic was not clear, simple.

Which is entirely your fault, as the original poster. It is a mistake you continue to compound, for some reason, and have done nothing to repair or overcome. This leads people to believe you are doing so deliberately, aka "trolling". It is your responsibility to demonstrate otherwise. I know language and communication are difficult skills, but you can do far better than this.

GW1 armor is nearly all class themed. You just contradicted yourself.

Guild Wars 1 was class-restricted, not class "themed". Guild Wars 2 has class "themed" costuming. As an example: Guild Wars 1 has armor that only Necromancers can wear. Guild Wars 2 has Light Armor skins that look like what a Necromancer might wear. THIS is what "many people" in the thread, including myself, would request.

What you have been arguing for, intentionally or not, is the former. You've demanded costuming only available to one particular Profession, which is completely unacceptable to this community. If that was not your intention, you must change your words to reflect that.

@"Trise.2865" said:Guild Wars 1 was class-restricted, not class "themed". Guild Wars 2 has class "themed" costuming. As an example: Guild Wars 1 has armor that only Necromancers can wear. Guild Wars 2 has Light Armor skins that look like what a Necromancer might wear. THIS is what "many people" in the thread, including myself, would request.

What you have been arguing for, intentionally or not, is the former. You've demanded costuming only available to one particular Profession, which is completely unacceptable to this community. If that was not your intention, you must change your words to reflect that.

Yeah class themed armor made for necromancer. Most of the styles are made for the profession. I don't think there should be class restricted armor, and I have stated it many times previously.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Your argument is that the Devs should more strictly design armor where necros look like necros and guardians look like guardians and so on for each profession. In other words, the devs should make more armor that “looks like it should“ for each. However that works only if you agree with the devs. If you don’t then class themed armor is only a boring restriction that limits you in what you can do to make yourself look truly different and, in fact, limits imagination and choice. This would result in more players sticking to the “proper look” and less variation and imagination in armor choices.

Of course, if necro doesn't look like necro, why play the class? Sure there should be freedom outside of class sets, but you need class sets first.

What restriction? Nobody forces you to wear them, you have other choices. No class armor is another kind of restriction because we don't have it to choose. You are making a bad argument here.

It's your opinion that a necro should look like a necro, there are plenty of games out there where you wouldn't know the character was necro by looking at them, and that's really how it should be. You shouldn't be able to identify a character by it's outfit but by what that character does, that was the limitation of the class specific armors in GW1, you could identify a character by just seeing what armor it was wearing. That, in my opinion, is very limiting, where as in GW2 you can still create that look just by combining different armor pieces and dyeing them a proper shade...now can I get the Necro Elite torn garment look in GW2, I personally don't know, haven't looked, but I can get an Elite Monk set with an Outfit...can't get the Elite Ranger one, but that wouldn't fit the GW2 style except for Sylvari characters, again, imo.

@crepuscular.9047 said:did a count, GW1 had 201 armor sets, GW2 according to the wiki there are 75 sets, but I'm 100% sure it's outdated, dont see the Mist Shard set and the Blossoming Mist Shard sets on there, so I say it's closing on to 100 sets in total atmYour math seems a bit off. If you do count each profession armor separately in GW1, you at least need to count each armor weight separately in GW2, or people will just think you are willfully misrepresenting the count. Somebody early in the thread already did the calculations, and GW2 actually is in the lead if you count each profession/weight class armor set.

Nevermind the comparison between both games.What I'd like to see is more short jackets for medium armour instead of so many butt capes and raincoats.

Don't get me wrong.Some are really neat. Such as the Rubicon Coat.But more variety would be good.Every med armour seems to revolve around pirates and bandits.

My Holosmith would really appreciate a biker's jacket, or something along those lines.

@"crepuscular.9047" said:did a count, GW1 had 201 armor sets, GW2 according to the wiki there are 75 sets, but I'm 100% sure it's outdated, dont see the Mist Shard set and the Blossoming Mist Shard sets on there, so I say it's closing on to 100 sets in total atm

I don't know where you get your math but GW1 has 28 armor sets: https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_art and only 7 of them are available to all professions.GW2 has (outdated list) 77 sets available to all weights: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_armor_sets (Mistward is heavy only and there 4 karma sets added in the same row on that page). 62 sets are available to all race/weight combos. This is 9 times more sets than the 7 sets available to all combinations in GW1.

If you want to include the different profession varieties in GW1, then you must include the different weight/race varieties in GW2. In that case, while GW1 might have 201 armor sets, GW2 has 754 armor sets if you include all racial/weight combinations (3 races: Humanoid/Charr/Asura, Human, Norn and Sylvari share the same skins)

In both calculations GW2 wins by quite a lot. You chose to use all varieties of profession armor in GW1 and just the names of the sets in GW2.... Way to do a biased/unfair comparison.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:In GW2 by my count (which agreed with yours) there are 259 armour sets in total (counting each tier of Envoy, Triumphant and Glorious separately). I'm quite surprised by how similar the totals are: in seven and half years of GW2, ANet have only released slightly more armour sets than they did over two and half years of GW1. I guess having to make most of those armour sets fit five races has really slowed them down.

The fact they switched to using outfits after 1 year of GW2 also drastically altered the release rate of armor.

If you counted up the non-set armors, however, I feel GW2's amount would drastically increase. Especially for helms, even if you were to count GW1's costume helms.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Guild Wars 1 was class-restricted, not class "themed". Guild Wars 2 has class "themed" costuming. As an example: Guild Wars 1 has armor that only Necromancers can wear. Guild Wars 2 has Light Armor skins that look like what a Necromancer might wear. THIS is what "many people" in the thread, including myself, would request.

Yeah class themed armor made for necromancer. Most of the styles are made for the profession. I don't think there should be class restricted armor, and I have stated it many times previously.

... and also, many of the styles in GW2 are suitable for necro ... in fact ALL of the light armor styles are appropriate for Necro, simply as a matter of an individuals taste, not some artificial label you think Anet should stick on it. The irony is that you claim to recognize the difference between class-restricted and class-themed ... but somehow can't bring yourself to recognize class-themed armors are just a completely artificial construction which serve no purpose other than to placate people that don't know that difference.

In otherwords, you either know you are trolling people with a useless no-problem 'solution' ... or you don't understand the difference despite your claims you do.

to be fair, allot of armors in GW2 can be seen as 1 armor since it's just a reskin of others, the same can be said about GW1 armors but at least the majority is unique.the same can be said about weapons, GW2 has plenty of clones while GW1 has more "unique" weapon models.

i do get what he wants and i honestly like to see the same, GW1 has allot of armor models that GW2 simply can't replicate.the armor art is just allot more focused in GW1, they just stand out and supports the goal of what the look represents.GW2 has, as you can call, global armor that simply doesn't focus at all, this also shifts the fashion choice to a more general view.

i don't want prof specific armor, i simply want armor as focused as GW1 armor.

^^ the problem is that the OP can't seem to decide what he's trying to suggest or what problem he's trying to solve. Then he's admitting that he's made an unclear and complicated thread. OK then ... and on top of that, doesn't seem to take the hints to redress it or clarify.

If he just came out and said "Hey, Make GW1 armors available in GW2" ... there would have been no problem, but still no one knows what he's talking about. He wants prof specific armor ... but all armor that a prof has access to IS ALREADY specific to the classes that can use them. Slapping a "Class X" label on any set is not solving a problem that exists.

I get where he's going ... but the assumption you have to make is poor at best: even if Anet did make armors targeted at classes, that doesn't guarentee you like them. It's a matter of individual taste. The OP seems to have convinced himself that even though none of the current armors appeal to him, the second Anet puts a label an armor set for 'class', he's going to love it. That doesn't make sense.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:did a count, GW1 had 201 armor sets, GW2 according to the wiki there are 75 sets, but I'm 100% sure it's outdated, dont see the Mist Shard set and the Blossoming Mist Shard sets on there, so I say it's closing on to 100 sets in total atmYour math seems a bit off. If you do count each profession armor separately in GW1, you at least need to count each armor weight separately in GW2, or people will just think you are willfully misrepresenting the count. Somebody early in the thread already did the calculations, and GW2 actually is in the lead if you count each profession/weight class armor set.

You are right, thanks for correcting me, unlike someone else being so aggressive

I totally forgot there's more than 1 set per region back in GW1 :lol:... and yeah, total failure at just looking at the number on the side of the table in the wiki, should be removed :lol:

spent the last hour at work copying and pasting, hopefully, didnt missed any this timebase on total unique armor arts; GW1 heroes armor dont count

SSEl3oW.png

GW2 won by a hair length with 248 unique armor setsbased on the criteria of being unique armor art, Radiant and Hellfire both count as 1vegzwvv.png

If count by the number of armor sets accessible by a single race, well, humans since GW1 only got humans, GW1 just beat out GW2 with 243 vs 216

@"crepuscular.9047" said:If count by the number of armor sets accessible by a single race, well, humans since GW1 only got humans, GW1 just beat out GW2 with 243 vs 216

I already did the actual math (for GW2) yours is again wrong but gonna respond to your last bit. It is always funny to see what new biased comparison you will come up with in favor of gw1. Single race is your new one? How about single profession? Lets count the sets available to a human paragon in gw1 and compare it to sets available to a human guardian in gw2. Since as you know in gw1 not all sets were available to "humans" but professions.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

So comparing the 2, maybe GW2 doesn’t have the profession specific armors but they have a good selection compared to the other game plus they have the wardrobe to store them in.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

There are 2,117 armor skins in GW2588 Helmets345 Shoulders274 Coats347 Gloves261 Leggings284 Boots264 Back piecesThere are also 95 outfits

Removing 12 of the Racial armor sets (keep 3 to apply them to all races) and the Mistward armor, which is only heavy, this leads to 248 unique leggings (sets?) of 3 weights. Multiply by 3 (Humanoid, Asura, Charr) because skins unlock for all races at once, and you get a total of 744 + 12 + 1 = 754 armor skins unique to Race + Weight

Still GW1 has a better armor style.

You also forget to recognize that GW2 also has complete Outfits on top of their wardrobe system.

There are 96 full outfits in the game, while some repeat or borrow some aspects of each other, that still leaves around 90 full outfits as well. That you can dye.

With the updating of graphics, everything they have looks a billion times better.And there are a handful of armors or outfits in GW2 that took inspiration from the original game, except now they look that much better because of graphical improvements.

And with the best dye system I have ever seen in a game, it honestly makes outfitting in this game that much nicer and allows for more people to differ from each other even when wearing similar items.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Anet is giving us armors relevant to whatever class you want to play. There isn't any reason to artificially design to a class. I mean, you aren't actually making sense in your ask, because it's a matter of taste what armors are 'good' on whatever class you play, regardless of how anet designs them and if you want more armor options, then you WOULDN'T specify armors designed to a specific class in the first place.

There are hundreds skins they could design based on 'class' that you may or may not like, so your proposal doesn't fix whatever problem you have with armors in this game. The proof is that they ALREADY do this.

Not really if you ask many ppl. They want more class specific armor.

Yeah different ppl want different style, so it's good to design more.

I absolutely do not want more class specific armor.Cultural specific armor is nice and all, but not at the cost of making it so there are people in the community who will try and reach for armor they can never wear.That new charr specific armor piece, the only reason I would want it is for completionist sake in my wardrobe, but I don't have a charr. I always delete them because I just don't enjoy playing them. I think they are cool but they aren't something I personally enjoy playing. I can live with the fact that there is charr armor I'll never wear because those came out with the game, those are special to the games release.

New cultural armor pieces are not good, because it has a chance of blocking people from gaining something new.Culturally INSPIRED, is fine so long as everyone can wear it (EG. Nightmare Court is very planty, but anyone can wear it.)The Olmakhan shoulders were really cool and allowed for people to make their own Olmakhan charr, but I also found them to look nice on my human druid who was very planty at the time. If they had made those shoulders culturally specific then I would have never been as inspired to make her look so in touch with nature.

It's not fair to block people from new things now that all the races stories have diverged.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Anet is giving us armors relevant to whatever class you want to play. There isn't any reason to artificially design to a class. I mean, you aren't actually making sense in your ask, because it's a matter of taste what armors are 'good' on whatever class you play, regardless of how anet designs them and if you want more armor options, then you WOULDN'T specify armors designed to a specific class in the first place.

There are hundreds skins they could design based on 'class' that you may or may not like, so your proposal doesn't fix whatever problem you have with armors in this game. The proof is that they ALREADY do this.

I absolutely do not want more class specific armor.Cultural specific armor is nice and all, but not at the cost of making it so there are people in the community who will try and reach for armor they can never wear.That new charr specific armor piece, the only reason I would want it is for completionist sake in my wardrobe, but I don't have a charr. I always delete them because I just don't enjoy playing them. I think they are cool but they aren't something I personally enjoy playing. I can live with the fact that there is charr armor I'll never wear because those came out with the game, those are special to the games release.

New cultural armor pieces are not good, because it has a chance of blocking people from gaining something new.Culturally INSPIRED, is fine so long as everyone can wear it (EG. Nightmare Court is very planty, but anyone can wear it.)The Olmakhan shoulders were really cool and allowed for people to make their own Olmakhan charr, but I also found them to look nice on my human druid who was very planty at the time. If they had made those shoulders culturally specific then I would have never been as inspired to make her look so in touch with nature.

It's not fair to block people from new things now that all the races stories have diverged.

I didn't mean it to be restricted to certain class, only class themed like the elite spec armor pieces.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

I didn't mean it to be restricted to certain class, only class themed like the elite spec armor pieces.

Classed themed armor sets is completely superficial and achieves nothing more than releasing nine armor sets (3 per armor class) wouldn't do. If it wouldn't be restricted by class, then you have a situation that we already are in now.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:If count by the number of armor sets accessible by a single race, well, humans since GW1 only got humans, GW1 just beat out GW2 with 243 vs 216

I already did the actual math (for GW2) yours is again wrong but gonna respond to your last bit. It is always funny to see what new biased comparison you will come up with in favor of gw1. Single race is your new one? How about single profession? Lets count the sets available to a human paragon in gw1 and compare it to sets available to a human guardian in gw2. Since as you know in gw1 not all sets were available to "humans" but professions.

show us your legendary maths then, let's see how unbias your mathematically calculations are, otherwise you are just trolling

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:If count by the number of armor sets accessible by a single race, well, humans since GW1 only got humans, GW1 just beat out GW2 with 243 vs 216

show us your legendary math
s
then, let's see how unbias your mathematically calculations are, otherwise you are just trolling

First page of this thread.

@Dante.1763 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:If count by the number of armor sets accessible by a single race, well, humans since GW1 only got humans, GW1 just beat out GW2 with 243 vs 216

show us your legendary math
s
then, let's see how unbias your mathematically calculations are, otherwise you are just trolling

First page of this thread.

keyword "Sets", not lose skins

and multiplying by multiple races when GW2 need to apply armor art to multiple races where GW1 is a single race is not bias?take for example, Primeval Armor which exists in both GW1 and GW2, he is count that as 1 for GW1 and 3 for GW2 because GW2 need to retrofit as 3 race models