Howto: Meta achievement for normal players?

Galmac.4680

Hey,

the meta achievement for "Shadow in the ice" requires 37 achievements, and if you skip the strike mission achievements, you will get 30 of them. So, how can a normal player without raid experience get 7 other achievements from that list to get the meta achievement? I tried strike missions, but with pug groups it was a sure fail. Why are that new strike missions that hard?

Galmac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Galmac.4680" said:Hey,

the meta achievement for "Shadow in the ice" requires 37 achievements, and if you skip the strike mission achievements, you will get 30 of them. So, how can a normal player without raid experience get 7 other achievements from that list to get the meta achievement? I tried strike missions, but with pug groups it was a sure fail. Why are that new strike missions that hard?

Galmac

The new strike missions are meant to be introductions to raids. Without getting more people into raids, they can't justify developing them. One of the obstacles they have found from feedback is the difficulty jump, so they are attempting to overcome that by making ever increasingly harder Strike Missions.

Will it work? Probably not. Should it be part of the meta? Tough one since they need a carrot to encourage players in and hopefully inspire players to try something harder.

I lean towards them being there to be honest. Bringing players together should be a positive thing in an MMO

Galmac

You don’t need raid experience to do the strikes.

Strikes are for normal players. Any strikes can be cleared by people who do 3 things: use lfg not the public system, run any full set of exotic gear with the same exotic rune, stack with the team. People who are incapable of doing these basic thing probably should not be rewarded the full meta. I agree that meta should not be completable by blind 1 spammers, the playerbase as a whole needs to get better.

Well, I want to do strike missions. I did the ones in Grothmar and the first of Bjora (well, fought the Boneskinner before it was patched), they were ok. But the new ones now... it's like that movie "How to die in a million ways in the west" for me. I think they exaggerated here. And it won't work.

@Blude.6812 said:

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:, the playerbase as a whole needs to get better.

And you wonder why some players want nothing to with strikes and raids and are failing to get people to join.

I don't wonder, there are some players who want to live in a fantasy land that they are not awful at the game. That is why they complain about dps meters, kill proofs, and exclusive rewards locked behind skill. These shatter their illusions of being a total badass, and instead of trying to get beter, they want these removed from the game so they can bury their heads in the sand.Strikes were made for this crowd, a public version that is impossible to get kicked from or even leave from and no way to show killproof with tokens or decorations.

Hidden achievements also count for the meta btw so its less than 7 strikes needed. I only needed 4 strikes and current boss on the rotating strikes is a really easy one (I organised 20x for sanctifier and didn't ask for any experience or roles...). 1 whisper of jormag achieve is actually not the strike boss but the story boss (the one that names avoiding 2 specific attacks).

@Zok.4956 said:

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:Strikes are for normal players.

So is every other content in the game, including PvP, WvW and Raids. But this does not mean that all players have fun playing all of this content.

Not everything in this game will appeal to all players. Catering rewards to each individual’s preferences to what they find fun is bad for the game.

@Zok.4956 said:

@"Shadowmoon.7986" said:Strikes are for normal players.

So is every other content in the game, including PvP, WvW and Raids. But this does not mean that all players have fun playing all of this content.

the playerbase as a whole needs to get better.

Why? Because you say so?

Because the game shouldn't be balanced around people who deal 2k DPS because they probably click their skills, use Soldier gear and never use their utility skills. It's genuinely awful that any downstate person can outdps these people who "try".

Galmac

This "only raiders can get these achievements" rhetoric is as false as it is played out.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Zok.4956 said:

@"Shadowmoon.7986" said:Strikes are for normal players.So is every other content in the game, including PvP, WvW and Raids. But this does not mean that all players have fun playing all of this content.Not everything in this game will appeal to all players. Catering rewards to each individual’s preferences to what they find fun is bad for the game.

I disagree.

Some examples:

The daily achievements give players a wide range of choices, how they want to do them. You have the three game types PvP, WvW and PvE and in every game type you have 4 achievements you can choose from. So you can choose 3 achievements of this 12 achievements to get the daily achievment done and this will probably cater to the individual’s preferences of most players.

In past episodes there were PvP and WvW reward tracks, so PvP and WvW players could get the rewards from the map-story-meta with this reward track or by doing the meta-achievement. So players had the freedom of choice with this.

This is/was not bad for the game.

Bad for the game is to try to "move" players to parts of the game they do not find fun to play, in ways, players would feel "forced" to. Anet tried this in the past and failed.

It is Ok, if you have to do raids to get raid achievements or to do strike missions to get strike mission achievements, etc. But this discussion is not about raid or strike mission achievements, but about an open-world/map/story meta achievment.

@"Zok.4956" said:Bad for the game is to try to "move" players to parts of the game they do not find fun to play, in ways, players would feel "forced" to. Anet tried this in the past and failed.

The Daily system is 100% about moving players to parts of the game they do not find fun. Jumping Puzzles, Activities such as Sanctum Sprint, events in lowbie zones.... the list goes on. It's express purpose is to do exactly what you are are arguing against.No one logs in and says "boy a sure wish I could grab my level 80 go to Metrica and zerg with 76 other people to screw low level people out of their levelling with our mount engages".No one logs in hoping they can find a full group of players playing Crab Toss.

Anet's never been shy about gating things like Legendary Weapons behind WvW or a mount behind a currency grind. I forget the last time there was a collection I wanted to do that didn't involve World Bosses....I think world bosses are the absolute worst content this game has to offer.

Your argument is just more false rhetoric.