What if?

Drizzt.1796

@"Drizzt.1796" said:What if elder dragons weren't evil?In that case we wouldn't have a problem. Or rather, different problems, since the races would have had no reason to cooperate on this threat and the orders probably wouldn't exist.

what if glint died to empower Kralkitorikk?I don't see anything major changing? We'd still have to fight and kill him. Kralkatorrik got more powerful throughout the story anyway, so what.

what if Jormag is being truthful?In which regard and context?

what if we're actually the bad guys in the game?We'll leave things worse off than we've found them? "Bad guy" really depends on the perspective, I guess. We certainly are the bad guy to our enemies already.

Type in your "What If" and then the outcome if it were actual.Fanfiction?

Are natural disasters evil?Don't forget that Elder dragons basically are nature (as weird as nature producing Undead sounds).Just because the current Tyrian races perceive them as a thread, doesn't mean they actually are one in the greater picture or cycle of life.

In real life, people consider earthquake as threads to their existence, yet in the greater picture they are just part of the planet's tectonic movements.

@"Fueki.4753" said:Are natural disasters evil?Don't forget that Elder dragons basically are nature (as weird as nature producing Undead sounds).Just because the current Tyrian races perceive them as a thread, doesn't mean they actually are one in the greater picture or cycle of life.

In real life, people consider earthquake as threads to their existence, yet in the greater picture they are just part of the planet's tectonic movements.

Not really. The Elder Dragons are a lot more than "just natural disasters". The main leading difference is sapience and personality. The Elder Dragons have desires, wants, and the capability of comprehending morality.

Their job is to balance magic, but they pretty much ignore that and go straight for causing world devastation. The only reason why they actually did balance magic from one extreme to the other, was because all six of them were trying to exploit the system for their personal benefit of whatever reason (like destroying all reality, ala Kralkatorrik).

The whole "they're forces of nature" thing is a misnomer that derives from Tyrians not really comprehending the Elder Dragons and not having conversed with them, which changed when Mordremoth came into play - and changed even more with Aurene. Hence why some charr went from "we must overcome the Elder Dragons" to "we will tame an Elder Dragon" - because they realized that Elder Dragons are sapient, can indeed be killed, and capable of making decisions. And falsely believe they feel fear.

Elder Dragons are essentially legendary beings which are almost part of the nature and environment.They eat magic from the world, leaving it barren, then slumber and let magic return to it.As such their hunger for magic is purely instinctive and they take any chance they can to consume magic, even if it will ruin the world.

Is this evil? Not really.What may seem evil is their intelligence and sentience to plot and prey on lesser beings in their bid for more magic to consume.

That's why Glint put her Scions plan into action : To create a bunch of Elder Dragons which aren't ruled by instinct, but by compassion and thought, replacing the Elder Dragons of old.

If the older Elder Dragons had more control and compassion, they would only feast when Magic has become saturated, then cease when the world is at balance.

Sadly, they are almost as old as the world itself, so puny mortals mean nothing to them, and are usually used as pawns to help them consume magic unrestricted.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Their job is to balance magic, but they pretty much ignore that and go straight for causing world devastation. The only reason why they actually did balance magic from one extreme to the other, was because all six of them were trying to exploit the system for their personal benefit of whatever reason (like destroying all reality, ala Kralkatorrik).

If Kralk is our example of the ED norm then it seems that the ED are both bound by destiny to do what they do even if it personally pains them (killing Glint) and unable to stop themselves from consuming magic. Mordy and Zhaitan's magic were hurting him yet he couldn't help but eat it. The same goes for eating the Mists: It's pure magic. He can't not eat it because eating magic is what he does.

Being bound by destiny might also explain why Jormag keeps flipping back and forth between trying to kill the Commander and wanting to work together.... Though I suppose you could look at Shadow in the Ice as Jormag trying to defend itself against the Slayer of Dragons since the Commander didn't slow down their ice brood killing since the Raven Shrine.

Though this doesn't track with my theory that Jormag's domain is actually chaos and that 'let's be pals so I can kill you' thing is just part of that.

But in the end they're effectively gods learning to deal with mortals that can now stand toe to toe with them. Regardless of motivation and method they don't seem to know how to handle their new reality.

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@"Fenella.2634" said:

Fanfiction?

Technically, yes i guess.

Sure why not.

Ever since obtaining the blue "krait orb"...What if the DSD secretly empowers the pact?

ThenJormag is legitimately attempting to negotiate with the DSD.AndEitherIt will emerge and use The Pact to betray Aurene.OrAurene knows and will betray The Pact to defeat the DSD.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Their job is to balance magic, but they pretty much ignore that and go straight for causing world devastation. The only reason why they actually
did
balance magic from one extreme to the other, was because all six of them were trying to exploit the system for their personal benefit of whatever reason (like destroying all reality, ala Kralkatorrik).

If Kralk is our example of the ED norm then it seems that the ED are both bound by destiny to do what they do even if it personally pains them (killing Glint) and unable to stop themselves from consuming magic. Mordy and Zhaitan's magic were hurting him yet he couldn't help but eat it. The same goes for eating the Mists: It's pure magic. He can't not eat it because eating magic is what he does.

Being bound by destiny might also explain why Jormag keeps flipping back and forth between trying to kill the Commander and wanting to work together.... Though I suppose you could look at
Shadow in the Ice
as Jormag trying to defend itself against the Slayer of Dragons since the Commander didn't slow down their ice brood killing since the Raven Shrine.

Though this doesn't track with my theory that Jormag's domain is actually chaos and that 'let's be pals so I can kill you' thing is just part of that.

But in the end they're effectively gods learning to deal with mortals that can now stand toe to toe with them. Regardless of motivation and method they don't seem to know how to handle their new reality.

I see Kralkatorrik less of "doing what he does because he must even if it hurts him" and more of him being twisted and driven like an addict by the Torment:

Kralkatorrik: Torment is blinding. It lies.Kralkatorrik: Its pollution steals my sense.Kralkatorrik: It promises: destroy everything and the pain will cease.

It felt more like Kralkatorrik sought to destroy everything not because "he was predestined to" (this would go against all the lore we got about foreseeing the future and the like from pre-S4 stuff; to quote the Avatar of the Tree: "But be warned—the future can change in the blink of an eye...") but because he was driven into madness by Torment caused from eating mixtures of magic over the eons, and as such only saw the desire to consume, corrupt, and destroy.

-What IF Jormag was trying to befriend us, in his own twisted way, to prepare for Primordus.
HOLY SHITE that's gonna be a beast for anet to tackle, just overall (that said, I hope there's no more tiny-elder-dragon-mind-version like the jungle dragon)-Not sure if it could yield to eventually fighting Jormag any way.

-I love the Queen as Lyssa proposal. Having played prophecies for so many years puts the soundstrack in a forever special place for me.

Great thread, thanks for sharing everyone!

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:It felt more like Kralkatorrik sought to destroy everything not because "he was predestined to" (this would go against all the lore we got about foreseeing the future and the like from pre-S4 stuff; to quote the Avatar of the Tree: "But be warned—the future can change in the blink of an eye...") but because he was driven into madness by Torment caused from eating mixtures of magic over the eons, and as such only saw the desire to consume, corrupt, and destroy.

Could easily be both since eating bad magic makes them nutty and that awareness of his future became a reckless obsession to prevent it. Thus causing it to happen in a classic Rod Serling manner?? He did suggest that killing Glint broke his heart.

Anyway, the ED motivations haven't really been presented as much beyond "Eating magic and not dying" until Desecent so whatever explains Jormag's behavior will be new. I like the idea of her being scared shitless of the Commander and is trying to improvise a way to deal with them beyond the kill or corrupt they've been using for tens of thousands of years.

ETA: The Pale Tree also has sort of pre-cognition powers but she's also a dragon minion. It could be that all the ED know they have a role to play in the Eternal Alchemy. Note that she also tells Caithe to not question the Dream.

Only the devs know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

@Leo.3428 said:

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:Queen jennah is lyssa and all of this is just an illusion to test/prepare us for the real deal.:no_mouth: Why would this be an illusion? In one of the personal stories she said that even she was afraid for her people.And you believed her? ;) This conspiracy theory looks sound :]

Eh, the "Jennah is Lyssa" conspiracy theory has been around a a few years and is similarly more fan fiction fodder than lore theory.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Leo.3428 said:

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:Queen jennah is lyssa and all of this is just an illusion to test/prepare us for the real deal.:no_mouth: Why would this be an illusion? In one of the personal stories she said that even she was afraid for her people.And you believed her? ;) This conspiracy theory looks sound :]

Eh, the "Jennah is Lyssa" conspiracy theory has been around a a few years and is similarly more fan fiction fodder than lore theory.

Ohh you dont want to see my fan fiction folder ?

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@Leo.3428 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Queen jennah is lyssa and all of this is just an illusion to test/prepare us for the real deal.:no_mouth: Why would this be an illusion? In one of the personal stories she said that even she was afraid for her people.And you believed her? ;) This conspiracy theory looks sound :]

Trust me, I can well imagine, I've been on the internet longer than some of y'all have been alive. I've seen some shit.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Leo.3428 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Queen jennah is lyssa and all of this is just an illusion to test/prepare us for the real deal.:no_mouth: Why would this be an illusion? In one of the personal stories she said that even she was afraid for her people.And you believed her? ;) This conspiracy theory looks sound :]

Trust me, I can well imagine, I've been on the internet longer than some of y'all have been alive. I've seen some kitten.

"I've seen some kitten." Ohh now we bring Charr into the mix. Kinky