Returning Player - Do Placements?

ZeroSkitzo.5403

Hi sPVP community! I’m returning after 1.5 years and been playing unranked to get the fundamentals back down. I know ranked about to end and I also know the big patch is coming but was curious if I should do my placements or wait for reset?

I was gold 2 the last season I played so nothing special and I don’t know how MMR works in gw2 or if I even have “any” right now since it’s been so long. Also, if I do my placements, how will that impact next season?

Basically, afraid I’ll place badly which will make me place even worse next season (assuming mmr carries over) when I can just wait and start fresh next season. I’m probably way over thinking this and I know the gw2 pvp isn’t anything to write home about but figured I’d ask!

Thanks in advance!

@ZeroSkitzo.5403 said:Hi sPVP community! I’m returning after 1.5 years and been playing unranked to get the fundamentals back down. I know ranked about to end and I also know the big patch is coming but was curious if I should do my placements or wait for reset?

I was gold 2 the last season I played so nothing special and I don’t know how MMR works in gw2 or if I even have “any” right now since it’s been so long. Also, if I do my placements, how will that impact next season?

Basically, afraid I’ll place badly which will make me place even worse next season (assuming mmr carries over) when I can just wait and start fresh next season. I’m probably way over thinking this and I know the gw2 pvp isn’t anything to write home about but figured I’d ask!

Thanks in advance!

Ill share you my thoughts on the matter.I always play ranked unless :astonished :

1 I am playing with people I cant ranked with ( more then 1 pers )2 Im drunk3 Im testing something ( dont wanna get spawn camped by thiefs and instead wanna play with more relaxed people )Play ranked. Dont worry. Dont get stressed.its good to know how far you can get.its good to know what you can expect from yourselfand even tho quality of games is garbage, its better in ranked, so you will propably have more even matches ( if that is something you desire )oh and you make more gold -> money money money.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@ZeroSkitzo.5403 said:Hi sPVP community! I’m returning after 1.5 years and been playing unranked to get the fundamentals back down. I know ranked about to end and I also know the big patch is coming but was curious if I should do my placements or wait for reset?

Thanks in advance!

Ill share you my thoughts on the matter.I always play ranked unless :astonished :

1 I am playing with people I cant ranked with ( more then 1 pers )2 Im drunk3 Im testing something ( dont wanna get spawn camped by thiefs and instead wanna play with more relaxed people )Play ranked. Dont worry. Dont get stressed.its good to know how far you can get.its good to know what you can expect from yourselfand even tho quality of games is garbage, its better in ranked, so you will propably have more even matches ( if that is something you desire )oh and you make more gold -> money money money.

All very good points! I forgot the rewards are better even though I’ve got 1K gold and have no idea what to spend it on since I don’t do any end game pve lol.

Your placements are definitely based on a previous season, so in short yeah if you play this season your mmr will be affected say next season regardless of decay. The actual formula for placements is starting (1200+ previous seasons mmr)/2 +/- whatever rating per placement match. I however can not tell you if this formula is affected by mmr many seasons ago if you have not played were say that would be used instead of previous season.So pretty much yes it can affect next season, but I’m not sure if it’ll 100% be a positive change- as say you place worse than you did before and the placement calaculator actually does take into account previous season, many many seasons ago

Thanks in advance!

Are you intending to play your first 10 games and then quit? If so, then wait until the pvp reset, then hope you get favorable match-ups in your initial placement.

You are vastly overestimating the significance of your initial placement from those first 10 games, especially if you decide to actually play pvp.

You rank means diddly squat if you don't get past the threshold of games required by the end of season, except for personal ego purposes.