Which pet will you main in soulbeast after patch?

Murshid.9854

If you are fighting a ranger in pvp it's still gonna be the ranger stealths every 12-16s game (aka whack a mole). Stealth wasn't nerfed and reveals weren't buffed so smokescale will be number one as always.

Stout pets are getting a big nerf to their cooldown so their attractiveness will be even smaller than before.

Bird mobility (swoop) is getting heavily nerfed. Their f2 has always been less useful for ranger since we have so many sources of swiftness already (becomes completely useless when merged with BM traitline).

@GUFF.5692 said:If you are fighting a ranger in pvp it's still gonna be the ranger stealths every 12-16s game (aka whack a mole). Stealth wasn't nerfed and reveals weren't buffed so smokescale will be number one as always.

Stout pets are getting a big nerf to their cooldown so their attractiveness will be even smaller than before.

Bird mobility (swoop) is getting heavily nerfed. Their f2 has always been less useful for ranger since we have so many sources of swiftness already (becomes completely useless when merged with BM traitline).

Since all damage and stunbreaks are getting nerfed the longer CD to unflinching fortitude won't be a big deal + the extra stunbreak could be life saving.

Plasma and boonbeast variants will still be powerufl, and the most important in my opinion is that the damage from pig maul is unchanged. A charge -> GS maul -> pig maul will still do about 15k... thats a big deal.

@"Eurantien.4632" said:Plasma and boonbeast variants will still be powerufl, and the most important in my opinion is that the damage from pig maul is unchanged. A charge -> GS maul -> pig maul will still do about 15k... thats a big deal.

You cant rely on anything being "unchanged" yet. They just couldnt be bothered to post all the pet nerfs in one preliminary set of notes I expect. I'm expecting to see more nerfs to pet skills that havent been mentioned yet.

Yes, more pet skill nerfs are possible. Cal Cohen on posting the balance preview: "These changes are not final, and we’re expecting to make further adjustments based on player feedback as well as our own internal review. " Also, remember the nerf to ranger Greatsword a few months back that was never announced.

Power : Smokescale and gazelle for everything, They do not need any introduction. Maybe hawk sometimes in PvPDefense : Arctic Wolf. Nice pet. Too slow to be the main one but the mobility, cc and defense are good.Regen : Snow owl maybe but not sure... I really, really think marsh drake is overlooked. It works for both condi and physical opponents. I am trying a weird boonbeast sage build and love this pet.

I think canine will see more play, since their merged aren't bad with 10sec 800 unit leap, 20 sec for 2 sec kd, and whatever variant you wish. Canines are pretty hardy but don't hit as hard unmerged yet still offer the kd/cripple and drakehound's grp immob, and alpine's grp chill are left untouched by nerfs. Ultimately though if I were to bet, I'd say 9 out of 10 sb will be smokescale for stealth and overall functionality of the pet, for both wvw and pvp. I will probably end up with smoke myself, but I'm going to see if alpine will work even with the increased cd on unflinching. I agree w/ Eurantien.4632 that given the stab/stunbrk nerfs and even worse doly nerf, the brk/dmg-nil of unflinching might very well be lifesaving.

Just gonna main canines in WvW if anet leaves their leap alone

800 units + cripple every 10s with a knockdown secondary leap is going to be much better than 1200 units with nothing every 18s and aoe swiftness

@Eurantien.4632 said:the damage from pig maul is unchanged. A charge -> GS maul -> pig maul will still do about 15k... thats a big deal.

that feel when Anet forgot about pig maul and it gets nuked from orbit a week after the update

I kinda agree that canines could make a (re) appearance. I used the arctic wolf extensively in WvW before the Warclaw.There's a trick where you can use the merged leap and weapon swap before it ends which puts it to 4s CD or so instead of 10s CD. Obviously it works the best out of combat since you don't get 9s weapon swap CD and you essentially achieve better( or at least similar level) A to B movement since it's 2x800 units every 8-9s compared to 1200 range 10s swoop.The swoop is gonna be double CD while outside of the heal, owl's F2 is useless mostly. KD and Unflinching are a better combination IMO. You can run Drakehound if you want WI, but IMO it's gonna be even more of a luxury post patch.I think Siamoth is gonna be more impactful in sPvP cause of merged Maul, which is much less telegraphed hard-hitting skill SLB will have left. Maybe in combination with sw/wh + GS for the full melee boonbeast which still retains some mobility through weapon skills.

@Atronach.8520 said:I kinda agree that canines could make a (re) appearance. I used the arctic wolf extensively in WvW before the Warclaw.There's a trick where you can use the merged leap and weapon swap before it ends which puts it to 4s CD or so instead of 10s CD. Obviously it works the best out of combat since you don't get 9s weapon swap CD and you essentially achieve better( or at least similar level) A to B movement since it's 2x800 units every 8-9s compared to 1200 range 10s swoop.The swoop is gonna be double CD while outside of the heal, owl's F2 is useless mostly. KD and Unflinching are a better combination IMO. You can run Drakehound if you want WI, but IMO it's gonna be even more of a luxury post patch.I think Siamoth is gonna be more impactful in sPvP cause of merged Maul, which is much less telegraphed hard-hitting skill SLB will have left. Maybe in combination with sw/wh + GS for the full melee boonbeast which still retains some mobility through weapon skills.

Yeah ill def be running with a canine. Probably arctic wolf as you said, unflinching is pretty powerful. Will miss having WI but honestly I rarely hit any competent opponents with it in WvW.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

@GUFF.5692 said:If you are fighting a ranger in pvp it's still gonna be the ranger stealths every 12-16s game (aka whack a mole). Stealth wasn't nerfed and reveals weren't buffed so smokescale will be number one as always.

Since all damage and stunbreaks are getting nerfed the longer CD to unflinching fortitude won't be a big deal + the extra stunbreak could be life saving.

Plasma and boonbeast variants will still be powerufl, and the most important in my opinion is that the damage from pig maul is unchanged. A charge -> GS maul -> pig maul will still do about 15k... thats a big deal.

yea basicly this, thats why i might go with pig instead of smokescale. right now i can petswap/merge at the same time and then have f2 and f1 for unblockable cc and interrupt, and have f1 hit for 15k. if playing mm. after patch u dont have to time your swap with merge and it will be even easier. the f1 is crazy damage for the amount of animation it has

@Hannelore.8153 said:Remember, damage is getting lowered across the board on players, so I imagine you'll be seeing more cats in play.

You might see some gimmick builds if the cheetah and beastly warden combo works correctly but they still are a bit wonky when hitting a moving target

Better off just going with birds if you want pure damage. Chaining a bird f2 right after their auto can add up to a good amount