Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

Wouldn't failing the meta to activate PvP mode encourage people to camp the event but not participate, just to get to the PvP portion? Seems like a horrible design choice if this is really what is happening.

If Anet wants to add PvP to a PvE map, then make it an always-on, know what you're getting into area.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"DeanBB.4268" said:Wouldn't failing the meta to activate PvP mode encourage people to camp the event but not participate, just to get to the PvP portion? Seems like a horrible design choice if this is really what is happening.

If Anet wants to add PvP to a PvE map, then make it an always-on, know what you're getting into area.

I've been in failed Drakkar metas. There was no "PvP mode" afterwards. Other players were not targetable. A few people stood around a bit miffed and annoyed at the fail, but people just drifted away as normal.

I'm not PVP guy (But just because I just too afraid my lose would screw others) but I feel like the game lack of proper area for 1v1 duel and I didn't mind if it didn't give any reward at all, only just for fun or kill time or small practice. this area could be inside fractal lobby or the Crown Pavilion.

Demands for open world PvP. Usually brought to you by:A) People who want a captive audience in major cities as they prove to the world how bad-kitten they are after tricking a newbie into flagging themselvesB) People who swaggered into WvW to pwn the world and got their kitten handed to them by roamersC) People who don't enjoy the game, and want to make sure everyone else is just as miserable as they are.

There are several options for PvP in GW2 already. There don't need to be more.

I think the idea is good, but it just won't work without some serious incentive behind it. Just "you can have a taste of PvP" isn't enough for a good, stable turn out. So what will (likely) happen is that some PvE players may try to turn it on once or twice - but won't actually meet anybody they can fight (because too few people even think to turn it on and leave it), and will disable it so nobody would attack them out of blue, and will forget about it.

Winning fights and having this flag enabled should bring some profits, and in some way it can't be abused too much. Like, for example, by turning it on you get 10-20% more gold and other currencies, and better drops - but if you're killed, you lose all these extra bonuses you've gathered for the last hour (still get your regular rewards though).

@Neural.1824 said:Demands for open world PvP. Usually brought to you by:A) People who want a captive audience in major cities as they prove to the world how bad-kitten they are after tricking a newbie into flagging themselvesB) People who swaggered into WvW to pwn the world and got their kitten handed to them by roamersC) People who don't enjoy the game, and want to make sure everyone else is just as miserable as they are.

Have you got issues with comprehending typed text? Topic starter didn't ask for free PvP, it's about mutually consensual fights in OpenWorld.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@"Neural.1824" said:Demands for open world PvP. Usually brought to you by:A) People who want a captive audience in major cities as they prove to the world how bad-kitten they are after tricking a newbie into flagging themselvesB) People who swaggered into WvW to pwn the world and got their kitten handed to them by roamersC) People who don't enjoy the game, and want to make sure everyone else is just as miserable as they are.

Have you got issues with comprehending typed text? Topic starter didn't ask for free PvP, it's about
mutually consensual
fights in OpenWorld.

Maybe, then, the thread title shouldn't include "making players". Doesn't sound very consensual to me.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:The way it is added to this event is in no way a real threat to the game. The PvP entering PvE that you folks fear would be waaaay more invasive than this. Move along, no real conflict to see here...

Even though I don't like the addition, because it rewards failing the meta event, non-PvP folks aren't getting all the right information.Everything I've seen so far suggests it's only for a few seconds, and if you're downed, your status flips to allied and can't be defeated. That part I worry less about than the vitriol and trolling that's going to happen to Drakkar.

@Nidome.1365 said:

@"DeanBB.4268" said:Wouldn't failing the meta to activate PvP mode encourage people to camp the event but not participate, just to get to the PvP portion? Seems like a horrible design choice if this is really what is happening.

I've been in failed Drakkar metas. There was no "PvP mode" afterwards. Other players were not targetable. A few people stood around a bit miffed and annoyed at the fail, but people just drifted away as normal.

There's literally 10 seconds where other players can attack other players, and nothing happens other than dying, you don't lose any items, no broken armor, nothing...people making a big deal out of nothing in my opinion.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@"Neural.1824" said:Demands for open world PvP. Usually brought to you by:A) People who want a captive audience in major cities as they prove to the world how bad-kitten they are after tricking a newbie into flagging themselvesB) People who swaggered into WvW to pwn the world and got their kitten handed to them by roamersC) People who don't enjoy the game, and want to make sure everyone else is just as miserable as they are.

Have you got issues with comprehending typed text? Topic starter didn't ask for free PvP, it's about
mutually consensual
fights in OpenWorld.Mutually consensual, like the (mentioned in point A) "tricking a newbie into flagging themselves" kind of consensual?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

mutually consensual
fights in OpenWorld.Mutually consensual, like the (mentioned in point A) "tricking a newbie into flagging themselves" kind of consensual?

How exactly do you trick a newbie to enable it (assuming there is a huge dialog window popping up with a warning), and exactly what horrible thing would happen if a some exceptionally gullible newbie would believe everything they told and get killed once (without losing anything really), then disable it back?

@Zaklex.6308 said:

There's literally 10 seconds where other players can attack other players, and nothing happens other than dying, you don't lose any items, no broken armor, nothing...people making a big deal out of nothing in my opinion.Then why even bother to implement something like this in the first place other than to seemingly stroke some players' egos?

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

mutually consensual

How exactly do you trick a newbie to enable it (assuming there is a huge dialog window popping up with a warning), and exactly what horrible thing would happen if a some exceptionally gullible newbie would believe everything they told and get killed once (without losing anything really), then disable it back?

Quite easily, especially if they don't have friendly nameplates on. One way I always found myself flagged, especially during Mists, was during world bosses. Nothing like healing a WB raid only to find yourself swarmed and killed by Alliance because someone you aoe healed tab clicked and auto attacked the flagged Alliance player weaving around trying to get people to hit them so that 'their' friends/guildies could wipe the WB raid and take over. And with the amount of aoe in game? Yeeeah, not liking the idea of sitting for 15 minutes and eventually just logging off because I can't get to the mobs I need for a living story quest because an kitten in wvw/pvp gear is flagged up and sitting right on top of it. Or the fact that accepting a duel out of fun or to test yourself also flagged you. Yep, nothing like going, hey let's see if I survive against a death knig---why are they running away? dead now because the Alliance buddies they had in wait just ganked me

And OP, it did not work in WoW. Tol Barad and Ashran were practically deserted by the time I stopped playing a month before Legion was announced. Their WPvP event of Southshore vs Tarren Mill was met with hype and then mockery. It's a short lived gimmick. Active when it's current content, abandoned when it no longer is. Even ESO noticed with Cyrodiil that the only time that map is active, is when there's an event going on. Hell, I even own that dlc and the only thing I touched was the dungeons because I didn't like the idea of being ganked trying to do the quests. I wanted to experience more lore, not the roided out pvp magicka sorc one shotting me with meteor.

There's WvW, there's PvP and there's PvE. You already have the modes provided for what you want. Instead of advocating for something clearly a lot of PvErs DON'T WANT. Why not advocate for there to be advancements into WvW? More maps, different objectives, events, sparklies. Why not advocate for just some more attention going into the PvP/WvW side of things and ways to entice people to actually want to join and participate if they've never done it before? Cause honestly, the few times I have jumped onto a WvW map, I had no clue what I was doing and as this isn't everyone's first MMO, have learned not to voice not knowing in chat. Advocate a something like a mentor program where both you and the newbie get rewards for playing WvW/PvP together, the more people you mentor, the more rewards you get and once the newbie is done, they too can start mentoring new people.

Anything is better than just, "well it 'works' in WoW, it should work here."

There is literally no need to have open PVP in PVE in this game, that's what WvW is for. It has PVP and there are events going on inside them.You want duels? sure why not? Put them in the main cities to have people duel their brains out. Having open world PVP in PVE leads to trolling and taunting and other toxic behavior. It's for the kind of people who get their jollies off on spawn camping way points.

@"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:How exactly do you trick a newbie to enable it (assuming there is a huge dialog window popping up with a warning), and exactly what horrible thing would happen if a some exceptionally gullible newbie would believe everything they told and get killed once (without losing anything really), then disable it back?That would depend on specific mechanics, of course, but it is something that happens very frequently in practically any game with "optional" open world pvp.And the "horrible thing" that would happen is that lot of new players simply quit the game at this point. It is also something that is well known, and one of the main reasons why games with open world pvp in any form, optional or not, are far less common now than they once were.In short, it generates so much bad PR it is generally not worth it.