Improving existing mounts - suggestions and feedback

I have some basic suggestions for small improvements. Feel free to add your own ideas or feedback for what is annoying.

For the springer mount. I was rolling around and comtemplating if i should unlock the kangaroo skin and was much enjoying the thought of a powerful hopper, meanwhile i was doing that i was doing dragonfall meta and climping across the spine for weak points. It hit me - that is exactly where a beast that was a powerful hopper should shine, if i could just keep making basic hops 2-3 higher than other moutns i would roll right over that spine. However, springer just makes tiny jumps if you dont put the space in action, and i think it would be thematically fitting if springers basic jumps very a fair deal higher than currently - it really slows it down that anything you gota make any semi jump you gotta start charging up even for a small jump.

Griffon. It is very hard for me to pinpoint what exactly is off about it's movements, but it feels supremely clunky if you don't have a long distance to make a smooth motion. I realize without specifics it's hard to use the feedback so i tried to find out what was most annoying about the movements. Basically, when you takeoff just need a little heigth/forward then down, small jump up and abit ahead, it locks you into going way forward before you can start down and you end up moving quite a distance and cant hit the area right in front of you at all, so instead you use only up and when its up move abit ahead scared, it's not very intuitive to use and often leads to fails and falls down and need retry for something that should be basic. If it was a real animal it would easily be able to decide how soon exactly it wanted to start going down after jumping up, without locking itself at all. In addition if im pressing q for it to go down immediately after launch, don't completely ignore that i pressed that if it was locked in it's start up animation execute it as soon as it can instead of requiring me to press q again to register at all. If im keeping it pressed after launch its because i want it to use it asap not to ignore it.

Generally make them slightly faster to turn it feels quite clunky if you need any type of precision. Not much, it's interesting that they are mechanic and not just free control, but i think it's been taken too far even the animals would never be that stiff - it feels artificial. Also try not to animation lock them into a clunky movement like what happens with griffon, i have a feeling it happens with others too.

@Crackmonster.2790 said:For the springer mount. I was rolling around and comtemplating if i should unlock the kangaroo skin and was much enjoying the thought of a powerful hopper, meanwhile i was doing that i was doing dragonfall meta and climping across the spine for weak points. It hit me - that is exactly where a beast that was a powerful hopper should shine, if i could just keep making basic hops 2-3 higher than other moutns i would roll right over that spine. However, springer just makes tiny jumps if you dont put the space in action, and i think it would be thematically fitting if springers basic jumps very a fair deal higher than currently - it really slows it down that anything you gota make any semi jump you gotta start charging up even for a small jump.

That's what the skyscale is for. Why would anyone be incentivized to obtain the skyscale if the springer can already manage the high jumps that you suggest?

Yeah, I have to say that it's a bit weird that you get more height with more control out of the skyscale. I am not sure what job the springer has at that point since gaining height slightly faster is not a huge perk given the tradeoffs in comparison to the skyscale. More height on the springer jump could provide some usage for the little cangabunny even for those with a skyscale.

@Locce.8405 said:Yeah, I have to say that it's a bit weird that you get more height with more control out of the skyscale. I am not sure what job the springer has at that point since gaining height slightly faster is not a huge perk given the tradeoffs in comparison to the skyscale. More height on the springer jump could provide some usage for the little cangabunny even for those with a skyscale.

That's because the skyscale is only unlocked after heavy time investment and effort. Springer is free and is even faster in some scenarios still.

Skyscale. And this is an important one. Prevent skyscale from grabbing onto anything whatsoever unless you use the ability to regen endurance. This makes skyscale very annoying in a multitude of scenarios - and when you think about it, it doesn't make any sense. Skyscale can already stand still in air - there is no gain from default-grapping onto stuff only annoyance and loss of control/precision. My lord how often im using skyscale and in the middle of my flying it grabs onto something random u pass by and messes your plan up. You will not convert your dodge into stamina with the default grab, it needs to be used actively to do that. When it is used actively it should grab on and regen. If you do this skyscale with operate so much better.

Would be lovely too if you could increase the upward possible angle a bit too.

I would also love, love, LOVE if i could dismount anytime i wanted in the air. Why oh why do i need to tell my skyscale to descend for several seconds when i could just jump off it, it feels not so good. There are so many times when i want to jump off my mout, dismounting, but i need to be standing on the ground to do that? Why? It doesn't make sense to me.

Sometimes you fall all the way down and die in wvw as result of this, when you could just have jumped from your mount and used your wings. Mechanically i would just love to dismount at will at our own responsibility, plummeting to our deaths if we don't flap wings or other.

@Crackmonster.2790 said:I would also love, love, LOVE if i could dismount anytime i wanted in the air. Why oh why do i need to tell my skyscale to descend for several seconds when i could just jump off it, it feels not so good. There are so many times when i want to jump off my mout, dismounting, but i need to be standing on the ground to do that? Why? It doesn't make sense to me.

Sometimes you fall all the way down and die in wvw as result of this, when you could just have jumped from your mount and used your wings. Mechanically i would just love to dismount at will at our own responsibility, plummeting to our deaths if we don't flap wings or other.

Can you even use the skyscale in WvW? How would you fall off there and plummet to your death?

@kratan.4619 said:

@Crackmonster.2790 said:I would also love, love, LOVE if i could dismount anytime i wanted in the air. Why oh why do i need to tell my skyscale to descend for several seconds when i could just jump off it, it feels not so good. There are so many times when i want to jump off my mout, dismounting, but i need to be standing on the ground to do that? Why? It doesn't make sense to me.

Can you even use the skyscale in WvW? How would you fall off there and plummet to your death?

Well it goes for all mounts, in wvw it's warclaw you can't jump off.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"Crackmonster.2790" said:I would also love, love, LOVE if i could dismount anytime i wanted in the air.That's what
is for (pve only).

No, it is not the same or even close.

Bond of faith is a cooldown ability that propels you higher into the air and grants you special wings, thereby doing something special giving you two simultaneous boosts. Additionally as you say it is pve only, a special ability not a baseline improvement to mount functionality.

What i am asking for is to simply be able to crawl off my mount and fall directly to the ground at my own responsibility, a normal feature of mmo's, because it just makes gameplay smoother and more natural as opposed to clunky and illogical.

I doubt existing mounts will get changed. > @kharmin.7683 said:

For the springer mount.
I was rolling around and comtemplating if i should unlock the kangaroo skin and was much enjoying the thought of a powerful hopper, meanwhile i was doing that i was doing dragonfall meta and climping across the spine for weak points. It hit me - that is exactly where a beast that was a powerful hopper should shine, if i could just keep making basic hops 2-3 higher than other moutns i would roll right over that spine. However, springer just makes tiny jumps if you dont put the space in action, and i think it would be thematically fitting if springers basic jumps very a fair deal higher than currently - it really slows it down that anything you gota make any semi jump you gotta start charging up even for a small jump.

That's what the skyscale is for. Why would anyone be incentivized to obtain the skyscale if the springer can already manage the high jumps that you suggest?

That's the problem with Springer. It's completely superceded by the Skyscale - I think Springer needs a NEW place in the game that's unique to it.

@Svarty.8019 said:I doubt existing mounts will get changed. > @kharmin.7683 said:

@"Crackmonster.2790" said:
For the springer mount.
I was rolling around and comtemplating if i should unlock the kangaroo skin and was much enjoying the thought of a powerful hopper, meanwhile i was doing that i was doing dragonfall meta and climping across the spine for weak points. It hit me - that is exactly where a beast that was a powerful hopper should shine, if i could just keep making basic hops 2-3 higher than other moutns i would roll right over that spine. However, springer just makes tiny jumps if you dont put the space in action, and i think it would be thematically fitting if springers basic jumps very a fair deal higher than currently - it really slows it down that anything you gota make any semi jump you gotta start charging up even for a small jump.

That's the problem with Springer. It's completely superceded by the Skyscale - I think Springer needs a NEW place in the game that's unique to it.

Only superseded for those who choose to make the effort to obtain it. Even then, I disagree that it "completely" supersedes the springer. My experience is that I still use the springer and in some cases find it more agile. ymmv

@"Crackmonster.2790" said:

What i am asking for is to simply be able to crawl off my mount and fall directly to the ground at my own responsibility, a normal feature of mmo's, because it just makes gameplay smoother and more natural as opposed to clunky and illogical.

This is your opinion. My experience is that bond of faith is neither clunky nor illogical and I find it smoother because I can then choose to fall or re-mount or even go to glider. Options are always better, in my opinion.

Also, mounts in GW2 are far from "normal" for MMOs, so why should their mechanics not be more interesting?