Second account possible?

@Bassdeff.1895 said:Are you talking about running 2 accounts at the same time on the same PC? or Having 2 accounts that you play 1 at a time on the same PC?

No. Not run both at the same time.I know that's against the rules.But to play alternately.It's just because of characters.I would like to have one account with a completely different theme.

But It doesn't really matter.It's not that important.Was just out of curiosity more than anything.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:

@Bassdeff.1895 said:Are you talking about running 2 accounts at the same time on the same PC? or Having 2 accounts that you play 1 at a time on the same PC?

No. Not run both at the same time.I know that's against the rules.But to play alternate.It's just because of characters.I would like to have one account with a completely different theme.

But It doesn't really matter.It's not that important.Was just out of curiosity more than anything.

You can get a second account. All you need to do is use a different email address.

I have several accounts. Running them one by one is not an issue, but without trickery, you have to type in your login details every time you log in to a different one than the last time.

Running more than one account at the same time, however, is not supported by the game. There are ways to do it which, obviously, are not supported by ANet. But that only means, if anything happens, you are on your own. Search for "GW2 Launchbuddy". I'm not going to link it here, as it is a third party application, but it can be safely used to run multiple accounts at the same time. (You may find some threads discussing this on these forums.) I've been using it myself on occasion and without issue.

Edit: I see that while typing this, you got your answer. Still, this might be helpful...

@Bassdeff.1895 said:

No. Not run both at the same time.I know that's against the rules.But to play alternate.It's just because of characters.I would like to have one account with a completely different theme.

You can get a second account. All you need to do is use a different email address.

Even this isn't necessarily required - I run two accounts off the same gmail address.For at least gmail, but I think others too, you can add a +-sign and text to an adress. This is then ignored by the mail server, but counts as a separate e-mail address by the game.

Example: (not my actual address)tanner.blackfeather@gmail.comtanner.blackfeather+second@gmail.comBoth of these will end up at the tanner.blackfeather gmail inbox, but ANet will see them as two different accounts.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

Even this isn't necessarily required - I run too accounts off the same gmail address.For at least gmail, but I think others too, you can add a +-sign and text to an adress. This is then ignored by the mail server, but counts as a separate e-mail address by the game.

Example: (not my actual address)tanner.blackfeather@gmail.comtanner.blackfeather+second@gmail.comBoth of these will end up at the tanner.blackfeather gmail inbox, but ANet will see them as two different accounts.

After reading this, I'd be ashamed to tell how many gmail accounts I opened...

@MikeG.6389 said:

Even this isn't necessarily required - I run too accounts off the same gmail address.For at least gmail, but I think others too, you can add a +-sign and text to an adress. This is then ignored by the mail server, but counts as a separate e-mail address by the game.

I wish I would have known this as well.

There is no limit to how many accounts you can have, or how many accounts you can log into from the same computer. But you'll either have to make a free account (those have lots of restrictions, like only having 2 character slots and not being able to use map chat) or you'll have to buy a second copy of the game, there is no way to set up more than one account with each copy. But you only need to use the account key from the second copy to create the account, you won't need to install the game twice or do anything more complicated than remember both sets of login details and type in the right ones for the account you want to play.

If you want to run more than one account at a time it gets more complicated. Firstly you'll need to use a 3rd party programme to get the game to run twice and secondly you need to be aware of and follow the rules on botting. The basic version of that is one key press must result in one action on one account. If you're logged into two accounts and you push W and one character runs forward while the other stays still that's ok. If you push W and both characters move forward that's botting and will get you banned. (And similarly if you push W and one character starts performing a whole series of actions without you having to do anything else, leaving you free to concentrate on the other account that is also botting and will also get you banned.)

It's also worth considering that a lot of items, unlocks, currencies etc. are account bound in this game and there is no way around there. There's no way to link accounts or register them as owned by the same person so you can share account bound items or any other way to get around the restriction. If you want to start over from scratch that's fine, but think about how you'll feel having to obtain all the skins, items etc. you've already got all over again if you want to use them on your new characters.

@MikeG.6389 said:

I had to use several email providers when I set up mine because they started blocking me from creating new ones. I guess I was creating enough within a short period of time to get flagged.

I have two accounts and use a little utility called GW2Launcher to open both of them at the same time on my PC. The nice thing about GW2Launcher is that it will still auto log in even after they disabled the -password command line option.

It does, help to have more than one monitor if you're going to try to run both accounts at the same time.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:I have two accounts and use a little utility called GW2Launcher to open both of them at the same time on my PC. The nice thing about GW2Launcher is that it will still auto log in even after they disabled the -password command line option.

It does, help to have more than one monitor if you're going to try to run both accounts at the same time.

Maybe I have the specifics incorrect, but isn’t that ‘multiboxing?’

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:I have two accounts and use a little utility called GW2Launcher to open both of them at the same time on my PC. The nice thing about GW2Launcher is that it will still auto log in even after they disabled the -password command line option.

Yes, and Multiboxing is actually perfectly legal, as long as you control each logged in account manually and separately.

You can play as many accounts as you please as long you abide with the rules you can find on the official forum. Gw2 launchbuddy does not affect your game and it wont get you banned for using it. Most important thing is you need to see your chatbox if anets gms send you any messages, thats how they see if you are at the pc or not. I play 6 accounts.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

Yes, and Multiboxing is actually perfectly legal, as long as you control each logged in account manually and separately.

Within PvE. Yes.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Within PvE. Yes.

Good point! That is a very important detail!