login failure

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Booey Bubblehead.4890" said:I don't get an error code. The game only loads to the character select screen and instantly closes. It doesn't bring the login page back, the game screen is just gone.

I'm having this exact same problem and it occurred immediately after installing these two Windows 10 patches:

I'm skeptical that a Flash update would cause the issue, so I am looking at KB4532693 as the source of the problem. I have tried uninstalling it twice without success. The system goes through the motions telling me it's uninstalling, then getting updates ready, then asks me to reboot. I do that and the patch is still installed. My game was working perfectly fine prior to this patch. I've also tried reinstalling my video drivers (NVIDIA). I have also run a Gw2-64.exe -repair without getting any change in behavior. I am right now reinstalling the game cleanly using the installer offered on the website downloaded this evening (i.e.; it's not an old copy I had laying around). I am not expecting this to be the fix, but I am trying to be thorough.

The sequence was that I was playing the game fine, then Windows said I needed to restart sometime to finish installing updates. I figured I'd get it over with right now so I quit the game, restarted, and when my PC came back, I now have this issue that @"Booey Bubblehead.4890" reports. I can start the game, login to the login dialog, get prompted for my 2FA code, and then when I click Play, I get a full screen (Window) that's white (I expect this) and after a couple seconds it minimizes to the task bar (I do not expect this, I expect to see my characters at this point). Clicking the icon to open the window does nothing. Hovering my mouse over the icon for a window preview gives me "window preview" that appears to be about 30 pixels wide and 1 pixel tall. I cannot quit the game other than by right clicking the icon and selecting Close Window, or using Windows Task Manager to kill it.

Edit: The clean download has stalled at 93% complete for the past hour or so.

@Land of Cheese.2584 said:

@"Booey Bubblehead.4890" said:I don't get an error code. The game only loads to the character select screen and instantly closes. It doesn't bring the login page back, the game screen is just gone.

I'm having this exact same problem and it occurred immediately after installing these two Windows 10 patches:

I'm skeptical that a Flash update would cause the issue, so I am looking at KB4532693 as the source of the problem. I have tried uninstalling it twice without success. The system goes through the motions telling me it's uninstalling, then getting updates ready, then asks me to reboot. I do that and the patch is still installed. My game was working perfectly fine prior to this patch. I've also tried reinstalling my video drivers (NVIDIA). I have also run a Gw2-64.exe -repair without getting any change in behavior. I am right now reinstalling the game cleanly using the installer offered on the website downloaded this evening (i.e.; it's not an old copy I had laying around). I am not expecting this to be the fix, but I am trying to be thorough.

The sequence was that I was playing the game fine, then Windows said I needed to restart sometime to finish installing updates. I figured I'd get it over with right now so I quit the game, restarted, and when my PC came back, I now have this issue that @"Booey Bubblehead.4890" reports. I can start the game, login to the login dialog, get prompted for my 2FA code, and then when I click Play, I get a full screen (Window) that's white (I expect this) and after a couple seconds it minimizes to the task bar (I do not expect this, I expect to see my characters at this point). Clicking the icon to open the window does nothing. Hovering my mouse over the icon for a window preview gives me "window preview" that appears to be about 30 pixels wide and 1 pixel tall. I cannot quit the game other than by right clicking the icon and selecting Close Window, or using Windows Task Manager to kill it.

Edit: The clean download has stalled at 93% complete for the past hour or so.

You will probably need to use the Command Line Argument posted in the many threads about recent installation issues.(This may, or may not, be helpful for your Windows Update: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-updates-manually/) or use Google to search for any number of articles on how to remove updates or (temporarily keep them from re-installing (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed), for example.

Good luck.