You engi players have lost your way

ellesee.8297

@"Undo.5091" said:I think it’s because there hasn’t been a frandly engineer to help everyone out.

Hey look buddy, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems, not problems like "What is beauty?" Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

I solve practical problems, for instance: how am I going to stop some mean mother Hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous be-hind?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Core engineer is weak. Before all these patches and expansions, engi was the epitome of beauty, grace, skilled game play. Oh how i loved the variety of options I had. I could do everything (except portal ofc). I assessed the situation, used my wits and found the necessary kits/combos in an instant. All I needed was to get out of combat with my escape plan and choose the required skill. It was perfect. I wasnt the best combatant around, nor the best zerg member. But my enemies knew that I was a terrible pain in their backs. And my friends knew that in a dire situation, I had always a plan.

After years and years, where every profession has the access to a variety of abilities, core engi is left behind. Utility skills are not updated, traits have not been reworked and worst of all some traits went from being good to being useless in some areas. It was the wizard /rogue of gw2 that could do anything.

I can still pull a core engi, tried few weeks ago and it was ok. But why should i put so much effort in it while even the game itself is against me? With holo I can do jumpy jumpy and kill people. With scrapper I can tank and heal my zerg. There are several professions that can achieve jack of all trades abilities. Don't get me wrong, I would give all these new specs back in an instant to get my old engi game play. But without a proper rework most of my tricks are out of date sadly.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@"Undo.5091" said:I think it’s because there hasn’t been a frandly engineer to help everyone out.

Hey look buddy, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems, not problems like "What is beauty?" Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

I solve practical problems, for instance: how am I going to stop some mean mother Hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous be-hind?

His whole point was just to say frandly. I'm feeling a bit old now.

@MrForz.1953 said:

His whole point was just to say frandly. I'm feeling a bit old now.

Anet looks at core specs, especially less popular ones, as dead content like LWS1 that isn't exciting or relevant enough to bring back into the modern game. Nice. I bet new players won't notice. No way. Not any possible flaw with this philosophy.

Personally I'm sick of it and have been going back to single player games that aren't P2W and have fun build diversity.

• 4 weeks later...

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Matoro.9708" said:The cast times on pistol are so abhorrent that it is useless at close range lol, this is the reason I have used rifle all these years.Lol I find the rifle slow as kitten to use.

Did manage to get one decent 1v1 this evening out of the engie (vs mirage), most other fights was either with that 2 man (we rarely caught the mirage alone) or zergs. Guess we'll find out soon enough whether the nerfs will truly go through or not, but if they do I might stick to core for a while.

Wish you were on NA servers. Would love to fight a core engi who at least knows somewhat they are doing. (I run off-meta DPS Mirage myself and ran core condi engi wayyyy before HoT and through HoT a bit before I mained Scrapper. Ive never found a build I liked for my engi since which is sad as I loved them)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

Wish you were on NA servers. Would love to fight a core engi who at least knows somewhat they are doing. (I run off-meta DPS Mirage myself and ran core condi engi wayyyy before HoT and through HoT a bit before I mained Scrapper. Ive never found a build I liked for my engi since which is sad as I loved them)

In my experience dueling a competent mirage is no fun on core engi since we just lack the stab and stunbreaks to deal with powerlock. Quite the shutdown. But those where the days before Elixier U got buffed to 11 so maybe its a bit better now.

@schloumou.3982 said:

In my experience dueling a competent mirage is no fun on core engi since we just lack the stab and stunbreaks to deal with powerlock. Quite the shutdown. But those where the days before Elixier U got buffed to 11 so maybe its a bit better now.They cant powerlock you if they are a moa.

Really, fights with truly competent power mesmers are usually decided in the initial engagement. You'll either get stunlocked or you block/evade it and push hard. Your stab or stunbreaks matter little. That's just how the mesmer is designed.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

In my experience dueling a competent mirage is no fun on core engi since we just lack the stab and stunbreaks to deal with powerlock. Quite the shutdown. But those where the days before Elixier U got buffed to 11 so maybe its a bit better now.They cant powerlock you if they are a moa.

Sorry forgot to mention that i never use moa, rampage and such skills in duels and usually fight folks that don't.

Really, fights with truly competent power mesmers are usually decided in the initial engagement. You'll either get stunlocked or you block/evade it and push hard. Your stab or stunbreaks matter little. That's just how the mesmer is designed.

Don't know. You can't block/evade if the mes just waits for your animation frames without stab to set you up.

@schloumou.3982 said:

Sorry forgot to mention that i never use moa, rampage and such skills in duels and usually fight folks that don't.

Don't know. You can't block/evade if the mes just waits for your animation frames without stab to set you up.

I dont run meta, nor use any form of stun :p

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@"ellesee.8297" said:Ya'll kill me with all this praise for holosmith as good as nades been to you. Back when you was core engi where was holosmith? You don't abandon ya folks that's been down from day one. You got a little xpac now so you too good for shrapnel nades? You gotta drop at least 12 hip shots chaith style for holosmith, but nades used to be 1500 range AND you get carpel tunnel from kit swapping. A lot of ya'll forgot where you came from and it's sad... Not me though. Nade kit until the day I die.

Luckily for you, there are still a few remaining good core engineer mains. I'm not talking about the players who claim that they are engineer mains but play nothing but holosmith in every game mode, but a real core engineer main who uses multiple kits. I've been playing the profession since 2013, the year I started playing GW2. There were very few engineer players back in the day, ranging from most of them being really bad to the very few good core engineers that use kits, the classic piano playstyle. It's the profession with the highest skill ceiling in the game (with elementalist having the second highest) and ever since the release of PoF, we went from very few people playing engineer to everyone playing holosmith and nothing but holosmith.

I hated Holosmith from day one because I find it insulting that they would make an easier to play spec that not only doesn't require as much skill to play, but also achieves more. But no matter what, no matter if Holosmith is meta in all game modes and it's easier to play, I still play core engineer in both PvE and PvP to this day. Everytime I perfectly execute my skill rotations, I'm still motivated to keep going and to never abandon the skills I learned while playing core engineer years ago. In general, core engineer with kits never gets boring unlike holosmith.

I feel the same on my core ele. I've had fun with weaver after pof, because i loved the sword skins i saved for the day i would be able to play sword, but i switched back to core one or maybe two years ago, because playing weaver or against weaver felt and still feel boring. Nevermind the "omg we have a core ele in our team, it's lost gg guys". I'm having fun.