How do you beat warrior as a thief?

NorthernRedStar.3054

Warrior as a match up is about hit and run.

You hit them. Then you kite them out a bit. Then you hit them again. Mainly you need to focus on getting them to use up their defensive skills: shield 5, GS 3, Bulls Charge and then punish them in the interim.

Blinds are also good because they help you avoid CC chains.

But we will see where Warrior is at after the patch...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@saerni.2584 said:Warrior as a match up is about hit and run.

You hit them. Then you kite them out a bit. Then you hit them again. Mainly you need to focus on getting them to use up their defensive skills: shield 5, GS 3, Bulls Charge and then punish them in the interim.

Blinds are also good because they help you avoid CC chains.

But we will see where Warrior is at after the patch...

Steal also works (particularly if you're out of stun breaks and need to interrupt, say, Hundred Blades. it also strips them of the might, which lessens the overall damage you take while CC'd.

Not if you're playing against a competent Warrior. As soon as you try to run after a hit, they will pop Stability and knock your ass down and it's gg.

You have to blind them, poison them, weaken them, and burst them all at the same time -- zero mistakes, else, you're dead. It's utter BS.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Not if you're playing against a competent Warrior. As soon as you try to run after a hit, they will pop Stability and knock your kitten down and it's gg.

You have to blind them, poison them, weaken them, and burst them all at the same time -- zero mistakes, else, you're dead. It's utter BS.

Pretty much. A good (read: competent) warrior will look to your animation windups to target you, so unless you animation cancel and predict that retaliation, you'll be wasting at least one stun break. Zero mistakes really is all you can afford. You have to burst them precisely when their biggest stuff is used - and that's a fairly short window, I might add. If possible, landing a daze or stun on them at the end of their own animation windup will catch most people off-guard (i.e. timing Pistol Whip just before they hit you).

Oftentimes you'll have to fight through Rampage, too, to boot. That's a luxury you can rarely afford. But at least warrior doesn't have elementalist levels of evasion and stability.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:Warriors are overtuned in this game. They are the only profession that can one shot me with a crit. The only time they beat me is when I make a mistake, not because they are more skillful. This is why I love the changes to SA, it forces the Warrior to be skillful rather than button smashing their skills. You can only dodge so much, but stealth and breaking target lock is the best protection.

Warrior overturned but only time they beat u is if u make a mistake lol u realize how backward that sounds? Just saying.

How so? Fighting a warrior is like them throwing 100 daggers at you and hoping that one of them will hit. And when the hit is a crit, game over. That's what I meant by overtuned. No skill necessary. Just faceroll on the keyboard.

i would say take more skill for warrior to 1v1 some one, then a thief who gank some one backstab 10k and steals 3 boons from 1200 rang away by clicking steal and auto attack at the same time.i know it's amazing when some one actually does their role it feels like they take no skill.

tbh if u die to a warrior for more then 1 time in a match as a thief, you really arent playing thief correctly.plat 2 soloq core thief here btw

@"lighter.2708" said:

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:Warriors are overtuned in this game. They are the only profession that can one shot me with a crit. The only time they beat me is when I make a mistake, not because they are more skillful. This is why I love the changes to SA, it forces the Warrior to be skillful rather than button smashing their skills. You can only dodge so much, but stealth and breaking target lock is the best protection.

Warrior overturned but only time they beat u is if u make a mistake lol u realize how backward that sounds? Just saying.

How so? Fighting a warrior is like them throwing 100 daggers at you and hoping that one of them will hit. And when the hit is a crit, game over. That's what I meant by overtuned. No skill necessary. Just faceroll on the keyboard.

i would say take more skill for warrior to 1v1 some one, then a thief who gank some one backstab 10k and steals 3 boons from 1200 rang away by clicking steal and auto attack at the same time.i know it's amazing when some one actually does their role it feels like they take no skill.plat 2 soloq core thief here btw

I disagree. You prove yourself wrong in your own statement. "Gank" means you attack a Warrior fighting someone else -- that's not 1v1.

Nice try, Mr. Plat 2.

@"lighter.2708" said:

i would say take more skill for warrior to 1v1 some one, then a thief who gank some one backstab 10k and steals 3 boons from 1200 rang away by clicking steal and auto attack at the same time.i know it's amazing when some one actually does their role it feels like they take no skill.plat 2 soloq core thief here btw

I disagree. You prove yourself wrong in your own statement. "Gank" means you attack a Warrior fighting someone else -- that's not 1v1.

Nice try, Mr. Plat 2.

And? does warrior "gank" some one from 1200 range away from stealth in 0.1 second no matter which platform you are on and ignores obstacle for 10k+ and steals 3 boon at the same time by cliking 2 button? i doubt.either u want thief to be extremely op and does it all , or u have no sense of balance what's so ever.

just saying, mr gold 1

@"lighter.2708" said:

@"lighter.2708" said:

Nice try, Mr. Plat 2.

And? does warrior "gank" some one from 1200 range away from stealth in 0.1 second no matter which platform you are on and ignores obstacle for 10k+ and steals 3 boon at the same time by cliking 2 button? i doubt.either u want thief to be extremely op and does it all , or u have no sense of balance what's so ever.

just saying, mr gold 1

What gives you the idea that I want Thief to be "extremely OP? You're arguing against a position I never made.

Anyways, enjoy your Plat 2.

@"lighter.2708" said:

@"lighter.2708" said:

Nice try, Mr. Plat 2.

just saying, mr gold 1

What gives you the idea that I want Thief to be "extremely OP? You're arguing against a position I never made.

So you want to 1v1 a warrior in a 50:50 stand point without losing point while having the ability to gank some one no matter the platform and ignores all obstacle?why do u need a warrior in pvp again??

here's a competitive tip for youplay your role or play something else. if 1v1 on point is what you want to do, go play a warrior.you are basically asking why healer class does no damage, let that sink in.and i can see that you are quite self conscious about your rating, don't be.

I’ll just chime in that playing in a match 1v1 isn’t what I’m referring to.

I’m just talking about a dual where you have time and can kite properly. Obviously it’s highly dependent on what kit you are running.

A good warrior will be easier to play around if you are acting as the plus 1 than trying to 1v1. Not because you can’t win but because your team will likely need you to provide some burst damage to tip the balance.

@"lighter.2708" said:

@"lighter.2708" said:

@"lighter.2708" said:

Nice try, Mr. Plat 2.

just saying, mr gold 1

So you want to 1v1 a warrior in a 50:50 stand point without losing point while having the ability to gank some one no matter the platform and ignores all obstacle?why do u need a warrior in pvp again??

here's a competitive tip for youplay your role or play something else. if 1v1 on point is what you want to do, go play a warrior.you are basically asking why healer class does no damage, let that sink in.and i can see that you are quite self conscious about your rating, don't be.

You're not even close. I think you confuse my position with someone else.

@"lighter.2708" said:

@"lighter.2708" said:

@"lighter.2708" said:

Nice try, Mr. Plat 2.

just saying, mr gold 1

Thing is though it's all relative to each match and each warrior right? I'm only gold 2 somtimes 3 at best in solo que and I beat more warriors in 1v1 on pd thief than I've lost to. If u can tell warrior not great at fighting a thief u most definitely can wreck them and take their node etc but same note as a warrior I've also done the same to thieves lol. Just gotta feel out the situation without wasting to much time.

@saerni.2584 said:I’ll just chime in that playing in a match 1v1 isn’t what I’m referring to.

I’m just talking about a dual where you have time and can kite properly. Obviously it’s highly dependent on what kit you are running.

A good warrior will be easier to play around if you are acting as the plus 1 than trying to 1v1. Not because you can’t win but because your team will likely need you to provide some burst damage to tip the balance.

Most of the problem is this. I cap the node, Warrior comes and get lucky on a crit then take the node. I come back to retake the node against the same Warrior, it takes 3+ crits to take them out.

It's not really about 1v1, it's about how fast can a Warrior down a Thief just because they get lucky on a crit vs. how fast can Thief down a a Warrior with multiple crits.

As I've said, Warriors are overtuned in this game. They have high defense and high damage, it's BS.

@saerni.2584 said:I’ll just chime in that playing in a match 1v1 isn’t what I’m referring to.

Most of the problem is this. I cap the node, Warrior comes and get lucky on a crit then take the node. I come back to retake the node against the same Warrior, it takes 3+ crits to take them out.

It's not really about 1v1, it's about how fast can a Warrior down a Thief just because they get lucky on a crit vs. how fast can Thief down a a Warrior with multiple crits.

As I've said, Warriors are overtuned in this game. They have high defense and high damage, it's BS.

So are u saying that a warrior shouldn't be able to take significantly more hits than a thief nor hit nearly as hard? I mean this as a thief player but that's plain wrong. Warrior doesn't have the tele,stealth and evades the thief had and has far more predictable and telegraphed skills. A warrior most defenitly be sturdy enough to trade more blows with s thief and with equal sustained damage to boot. I could see warriors burst having to be lower than thiefs if it didn't require hitting with either telegraphed skills after gaining adrenaline or if the bursts didn't require landing a hard cc first like bullscharge considering thief burst are far quicker and often outa stealth I see kno reason why they can't be on par considering all the other tools thieves have ie tele's/stealth etc. On full power CS/TR/SA my backstabs delete 75% of most warriors I fights hp in a single burst before I stealth up and try again lol what else do u want lol I'm always defending thief but this is silly.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

So are u saying that a warrior shouldn't be able to take significantly more hits than a thief nor hit nearly as hard? I mean this as a thief player but that's plain wrong. Warrior doesn't have the tele,stealth and evades the thief had and has far more predictable and telegraphed skills. A warrior most defenitly be sturdy enough to trade more blows with s thief and with equal sustained damage to boot. I could see warriors burst having to be lower than thiefs if it didn't require hitting with either telegraphed skills after gaining adrenaline or if the bursts didn't require landing a hard cc first like bullscharge considering thief burst are far quicker and often outa stealth I see kno reason why they can't be on par considering all the other tools thieves have ie tele's/stealth etc. On full power CS/TR/SA my backstabs delete 75% of most warriors I fights hp in a single burst before I stealth up and try again lol what else do u want lol I'm always defending thief but this is silly.

I actually really like fighting warriors. They can hurt you but generally not rely on tricks to win. Making mistakes against a good warrior results in death.

With warrior might sustain being nerfed heavily I’m excited for the chance to go toe to toe more often.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

So are u saying that a warrior shouldn't be able to take significantly more hits than a thief nor hit nearly as hard? I mean this as a thief player but that's plain wrong. Warrior doesn't have the tele,stealth and evades the thief had and has far more predictable and telegraphed skills. A warrior most defenitly be sturdy enough to trade more blows with s thief and with equal sustained damage to boot. I could see warriors burst having to be lower than thiefs if it didn't require hitting with either telegraphed skills after gaining adrenaline or if the bursts didn't require landing a hard cc first like bullscharge considering thief burst are far quicker and often outa stealth I see kno reason why they can't be on par considering all the other tools thieves have ie tele's/stealth etc. On full power CS/TR/SA my backstabs delete 75% of most warriors I fights hp in a single burst before I stealth up and try again lol
what else do u want
lol I'm always defending thief but this is silly.

Warriors should not have access to a lot of crits, rather they should have access to a lot of raw damage and crit damage. They are the profession of strength, not of precision. Meaning, higher power coeficient, but should only have the base crit chance. Their high crit chance, comparable to Thief, is the problem. Warriors should not have access to Fury, for example, just as Thief has no access to a lot of defensive buffs.

For example, Unsuspecting Foe and Burst Precision from Arms trait are toxic.

So are u saying that a warrior shouldn't be able to take significantly more hits than a thief nor hit nearly as hard? I mean this as a thief player but that's plain wrong. Warrior doesn't have the tele,stealth and evades the thief had and has far more predictable and telegraphed skills. A warrior most defenitly be sturdy enough to trade more blows with s thief and with equal sustained damage to boot. I could see warriors burst having to be lower than thiefs if it didn't require hitting with either telegraphed skills after gaining adrenaline or if the bursts didn't require landing a hard cc first like bullscharge considering thief burst are far quicker and often outa stealth I see kno reason why they can't be on par considering all the other tools thieves have ie tele's/stealth etc. On full power CS/TR/SA my backstabs delete 75% of most warriors I fights hp in a single burst before I stealth up and try again lol
what else do u want

Warriors should not have access to a lot of crits, rather they should have access to a lot of raw damage and crit damage. They are the profession of strength, not of precision. Meaning, higher power coeficient, but should only have the base crit chance. Their high crit chance, comparable to Thief, is the problem. Warriors should not have access to Fury, for example, just as Thief has no access to a lot of defensive buffs.

I fail to see how a warrior(games main melee master) would have low precision. Not saying they should be on par with a glassy burst spec like thief but when anyone thinks warrior in any game they think sturdy(not super tanky tho) and hard hitting as far as melee with good mobility. I mean it's a warrior for crap sakes lol

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

what else do u want

I fail to see how a warrior(games main melee master) would have low precision. Not saying they should be on par with a glassy burst spec like thief but when anyone thinks warrior in any game they think sturdy(not super tanky tho) and hard hitting as far as melee with good mobility. I mean it's a warrior for kitten sakes lol

Yes, hard hitting with high power coef, not high crit. Logically, you cannot have high precision wearing heavy armor swinging a heavy 2H sword or a hammer. It's about raw strength and not about finding kinks and gaps in the armor.

@saerni.2584 said:

I actually really like fighting warriors. They can hurt you but generally not rely on tricks to win. Making mistakes against a good warrior results in death.

With warrior might sustain being nerfed heavily I’m excited for the chance to go toe to toe more often.

The upcoming changes to the Warrior is appropriate IMO since they have been overtuned for a long time, but still not enough. Arms trait is hardly gotten hit -- unsuspecting foe and burst prec are untouched.

Warrior needs to be busted in order to be viable. It's a class that belongs in a different game because it mostly consists of attacks that just hit, while GW2 meta is always about spamming AoE, AI, spamming boons, evading 80% of the time, having instant mobility etc. Warrior can't follow up and kill anything, it's just a walking pile of stats with fair mechanics.

The upcoming changes to the Warrior is appropriate IMO since they have been overtuned for a long time, but still not enough. Arms trait is hardly gotten hit -- unsuspecting foe and burst prec are untouched.

Really, arms is almost never used for a reason lol man u got a blind hate on for warriors eh? It comes out pretty obvious.

@"YuiRS.8129" said:Warrior needs to be busted in order to be viable. It's a class that belongs in a different game because it mostly consists of attacks that just hit, while GW2 meta is always about spamming AoE, AI, spamming boons, evading 80% of the time, having instant mobility etc. Warrior can't follow up and kill anything, it's just a walking pile of stats with fair mechanics.

Key word "fair mechanics"Atleast when compared to 90% of the classes in the game. Also making it the most predictable as well.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Really, arms is almost never used for a reason lol man u got a blind hate on for warriors eh? It comes out pretty obvious.

I never attempt to hide it. Mesmer beat me all the time, but it's well deserved and you won't see me complaining about them. Warrior, on the other hand, is a cheese profession overtuned because one of the Devs is a Warrior main.

I never attempt to hide it. Mesmer beat me all the time, but it's well deserved and you won't see me complaining about them. Warrior, on the other hand, is a cheese profession overtuned because one of the Devs is a Warrior main.

Lmao warrior cheese is enough for me to not take anything u say serious but to add that their more cheese than mesmer that's just to much haha. Ur either joking or seriously delusional lol.