Which part of the story/lore do you like the most, so far?

@"Randulf.7614" said:a complete inability to write compelling villains over a long period

My personal grief with all this so-called "heroic fantasy", GW2 included. When I see another mad clown or Totally Evil Guy Who Wants Everybody To Suffer Just Because, it ruins all immersion immediately. All story immediately feels shallow and unbelievable, and I just force myself to play through it, waiting impatiently when this useless dialogue bringing nothing of interest will end finally.Who do they think their audience is, 14 year olds who believe in an absolute evil?

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:a complete inability to write compelling villains over a long period

My personal grief with all this so-called "heroic fantasy", GW2 included. When I see another mad clown or Totally Evil Guy Who Wants Everybody To Suffer Just Because, it ruins all immersion immediately. All story immediately feels shallow and unbelievable, and I just force myself to play through it, waiting impatiently when this useless dialogue bringing nothing of interest will end finally.Who do they think their audience is, 14 year olds who believe in an absolute evil?

@"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:who believe in an absolute evil?

GW2 would have done much better story-wise if it had stayed focused on smaller stories with compelling villains. Nothing greater than a single nation on a political scale.Caudacus was actually good for that. Not that he was particularly compelling, but he was familiar, and he had discernible motive with realistic means to achieve his goals.

The elder dragons are just too massive on a physical and metaphysical scale to be appropriate threats for the heroic PC to work through. Not without a lot of deus ex, in the least, and we've grown tired of Asura solving all our problems with not-but-totally-are-computers. GW2 dragons are mostly just giant force-of-nature boogeymen that get a swat on the nose, promptly die, then ooze their magic all over to make more problems. Deciding where "the commander" fits in is just confusing.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:who believe in an absolute evil?

GW2 would have done much better story-wise if it had stayed focused on smaller stories with compelling villains. Nothing greater than a single nation on a political scale.Caudacus was actually good for that. Not that he was particularly compelling, but he was familiar, and he had discernible motive with realistic means to achieve his goals.

The elder dragons are just too massive on a physical and metaphysical scale to be appropriate threats for the heroic PC to work through. Not without a lot of deus ex, in the least, and we've grown tired of Asura solving all our problems with not-but-totally-are-computers. GW2 dragons are mostly just giant force-of-nature boogeymen that get a swat on the nose, promptly die, then ooze their magic all over to make more problems. Deciding where "the commander" fits in is just confusing.

Caudacus is a very meh character, to be honest. The very first moment I met him (that was I believe story mode of the Quinsdale dungeon, the path where the Queen is kidnapped, or something) I was able to tell he is the designated Evil Guy in this company. He talks like a stereotypical villain, this insincere overtones in his voice - clearly planted specifically by the script etc - that's clear sign of shallow writing and low production quality. The fact that somebody is clearly marked as pure villain already shows that whoever wrote the script aimed quite low in terms of quality. You don't build an interesting story on white and black characters, the world just almost never is simple.

That would be nice to see a story of some charismatic leader of Machiavelli kind, who is at the same time is ruthless when their county needs it and inspiring and just when the cause needs it. Who commits crimes not because he is Very Evil, but out of pure pragmatic reasoning, because it benefits their country and guarantees its survival. Shown not as a strictly negative figure, but just as a person who accustomed to play games with thousands of human lives on regular basis, to do their job. A story of how them tried to side with a dragon forces in a futile attempt to save their nation, hoping they'll be able to somehow out-play and out-smart the dragon later, when opportunity strikes - and not noticing how the dragon outplayed them and made them a pawn in his plans.

That would be something, for a change.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:That would be nice to see a story of some charismatic leader of Machiavelli kind, who is at the same time is ruthless when their county needs it and inspiring and just when the cause needs it. Who commits crimes not because he is Very Evil, but out of pure pragmatic reasoning, because it benefits their country and guarantees its survival.

They had the perfect character for that sort of role. His name was Gavin. But we killed him.

Story is out of what I dislike the most doing in the game. It's simply too hard for me. The HoT story, for which I have several chars stuck forever at the instance with the leecher (even the south pillar trick is not sufficient to help me), was the droplet too much. The LS after that, happening in Dry Top and SW, just confirmed the nightmare that it is for me.Since then, I do story with one char only, with a team to help me if possible, and once it is behind me, I don't repeat. :3

Two exceptions though: If it is a - for me - easy enough instance and that I can complete achievements once inside, or/and, if I join a team to help someone else.