Which professions go best thematically with which races?

Rise.8259

I wanted to point out one common misconception that seems to be popping up a lot here, which is that Necromancy is a sort've taboo among the races of Tyria. It's quite to the contrary in fact. Despite the common running theme of facing off against undead creatures, as long as you understand common sense, you're fine. Humans have a respect for Necromancy stemming from one of their very Gods having a connection to it. It's not appropriate to walk around someone's corpse as a crash dummy, as seen in Ghosts of Ascalon, but there's no outright shying away from it. (For Human Necromancers see Priests/Priestesses of Grenth, Exemplar Kerida, Priestess Rhie, ect) Sylvari, while very connected into nature, are a naturally curious race, and since the opposite of life, something they're surrounded with, is death, many of them have an immense fascination with it, and how it works. (This also applies to other professions that aren't nature-themed, because they are curious and will try anything.) (For Sylvari Necromancers, see Trahearne, Killeen, various Nightmare Court NPCs, ect.) Charr are also good candidates for Necromancy. Despite magic not being a popular choice for them due to their past with the Flame Legion, Necromancers are often seen among the Ash Legion. Along side this, it makes sense for them to look into such arts, due to the constant barrage of Ghosts they face in their homelands. (For Charr Necromancers, see Nameless Ash Legion NPCs, ect, I don't know many of the Charr NPCs sorry.) Norn also have ties to Necromancy, due to their connection to Raven, which is stated very well by JTHMRulez.9378 above. (For Norn Necromancers, see the NPC literally named Necromancer, Raven Shamans, ect.) Then finally we have the Asura, who, due to their diverse ways of scientific discovery, are perfectly suited for Necromancy. The art of undeath meshes greatly with their colder methodologies. We have Asura Necromancers going back to GW1. (Oola being the number 1 example, and quite possibly Blimm, since despite his profession as a Warrior in GW1, he delved heavily into "Necromantic Golemancy". A similar venture to Oola's famed work.)This Necro-centered post can really be applied to any profession too, because there's really not a whole lot lore-wise that makes a certain profession fit a certain race more, aside from obvious surface connections like Ash Legion -> Thief, and Sylvari -> Ranger. If you're new, it's really best to just pick whichever profession and race combo you like best.

@Genesis.8572 said:Charr: Charr Engineer is incredibly iconic. Charr invented the engineering profession and its aesthetics. Charr questing centers around the Black Citadel and Ascalon, which are controlled by the engineering-focused Iron Legion. Warrior is also a good fit, but playing the Iron Legion storyline as an engineer is one of the few points in the personal story where a profession gets to play to their profession's fantasy.

Agree 100%. If you've never created a Charr engineer, do it just for the LV10 personal story quest - it's very fun.

@Zeusx.2906 said:I just recently got into GW2

Welcome!

@Zeusx.2906 said:I was thinking Asura engineer but the thing is the they should be able to come up with better weaponry being all smart like that. Yeah i dont know about Asura. Might just ignore Asura and Sylvari.

Ah, but that is where weapon skins come in. Forgetting any Gem Store skins, you don't get much more "tech" looking than:this rifle - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Azure_Railgunthese pistols - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dark_Asuran_Pistol + https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glyphic_Pistol_Skin

@"Musaroxy.2874" said:I wanted to point out one common misconception that seems to be popping up a lot here, which is that Necromancy is a sort've taboo among the races of Tyria. It's quite to the contrary in fact. Despite the common running theme of facing off against undead creatures, as long as you understand common sense, you're fine. Humans have a respect for Necromancy stemming from one of their very Gods having a connection to it. It's not appropriate to walk around someone's corpse as a crash dummy, as seen in Ghosts of Ascalon, but there's no outright shying away from it. (For Human Necromancers see Priests/Priestesses of Grenth, Exemplar Kerida, Priestess Rhie, ect) Sylvari, while very connected into nature, are a naturally curious race, and since the opposite of life, something they're surrounded with, is death, many of them have an immense fascination with it, and how it works. (This also applies to other professions that aren't nature-themed, because they are curious and will try anything.) (For Sylvari Necromancers, see Trahearne, Killeen, various Nightmare Court NPCs, ect.) Charr are also good candidates for Necromancy. Despite magic not being a popular choice for them due to their past with the Flame Legion, Necromancers are often seen among the Ash Legion. Along side this, it makes sense for them to look into such arts, due to the constant barrage of Ghosts they face in their homelands. (For Charr Necromancers, see Nameless Ash Legion NPCs, ect, I don't know many of the Charr NPCs sorry.) Norn also have ties to Necromancy, due to their connection to Raven, which is stated very well by JTHMRulez.9378 above. (For Norn Necromancers, see the NPC literally named Necromancer, Raven Shamans, ect.) Then finally we have the Asura, who, due to their diverse ways of scientific discovery, are perfectly suited for Necromancy. The art of undeath meshes greatly with their colder methodologies. We have Asura Necromancers going back to GW1. (Oola being the number 1 example, and quite possibly Blimm, since despite his profession as a Warrior in GW1, he delved heavily into "Necromantic Golemancy". A similar venture to Oola's famed work.)This Necro-centered post can really be applied to any profession too, because there's really not a whole lot lore-wise that makes a certain profession fit a certain race more, aside from obvious surface connections like Ash Legion -> Thief, and Sylvari -> Ranger. If you're new, it's really best to just pick whichever profession and race combo you like best.

While I agree with you, being a necro main in both games, necromancers have always been held at arms length from society. At least among heroes. Not because it is seen as being evil, but because it is creepy an misunderstood. I mean the town crier you first talk to in Pre Searing Ascalon as a necro speaks to you like this. Sadly I cannot find it on the dialogue on the wiki, but I feel like it was something along the lines of "Please don't give me some disease or something" or "Please don't Curse me".

• 4 weeks later...

For the humans in this game, I always though of this: Some proffessions seems tied with their gods.

For exemple,Warrior - BalthazarGuardian - DwaynaRevenant - N/ARanger - MelandruThief - N/AEngineer - N/AMesmer- LyssaElementalist - N/ANecromancer - Grenth

For N/A, I didn't found them though... Only thing minght be Abbaddon or Kormir.

@Edge.8724 said:For the humans in this game, I always though of this: Some proffessions seems tied with their gods.

For exemple,Warrior - BalthazarGuardian - DwaynaRevenant - N/ARanger - MelandruThief - N/AEngineer - N/AMesmer- LyssaElementalist - N/ANecromancer - Grenth

Back in GW2, the Elementalists technically had ties to all the gods, with Balthazar being Fire, Dwayna being Air, Melandru for Earth, Grenth for Ice and Lyssa being Energy capacity. I'm not sure how Kormir would factor into that now.

@"Edge.8724" said:For the humans in this game, I always though of this: Some proffessions seems tied with their gods.

that may be if u only accept 1 god per class and 1 class per god

Thief goes fine with grenth through the aspect of assassination / Close to death

thanks to the legend theme revenant does not really fit the gods but there can be made a Connection to kormir.. ofc grenth through the "killing theme" fits almost everywere

elementalist - Dwayna/ Grenth/ Balthazar/ kormir, depending on focused element and character.. for example an elementalist who prefere to just study as much Magic as possible.. fits fine with kormir

@draxynnic.3719 said:When it comes to elementalists... it's mostly that we just generally don't see them. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any norn elementalist NPCs in EOTN, and while I'm pretty sure I've seen an NPC norn elementalist somewhere in GW2 (not counting Svanir shamans, since they're hardly representative of the norn in general and it's arguable if they're really elementalists at all), I can't remember where.

Norn in the Durmand Priory tend to be elementalists. Scholar Brogun comes to mind as one of the first you might meet.

@"Edge.8724" said:For the humans in this game, I always though of this: Some proffessions seems tied with their gods.

For Thief, you should put Kormir! Besides her "acquisition" of Abbadon's magic (and the spotlight), she's tied to the events of Nightfall and had been assisted by Order of Whispers, commonly viewed as "thieves," yet it's those thieves that are trying to see the whole picture, the whole truth of what's going on behind the scenes.

• 4 weeks later...

@norbes.3620 said:

Thief goes fine with grenth through the aspect of assassination / Close to death

thanks to the legend theme revenant does not really fit the gods but there can be made a Connection to kormir.. ofc grenth through the "killing theme" fits almost everywere

elementalist - Dwayna/ Grenth/ Balthazar/ kormir, depending on focused element and character.. for example an elementalist who prefere to just study as much Magic as possible.. fits fine with kormir

About elementalists associated with human gods: You forgot Melandru, which represents the element earth.

In my opinion the best:charr : warrior + engineer (machines of war)asura: engineer+ thief+ mesmer (sneaky golemancers)sylvari: ranger+ elementalist + necromancer (magic of nature + most interested how death works)norn: revenant+ ranger+ guardian (spirits of nature)humans:: every class while being sad your people are in decline

@Zeusx.2906 said:

Basically necromancer, Elementalist and Mesmer im having a hard time placing. Even through i would like to play the classes i cant seem to fit them anywhere.

Do what you like and what feel right for you.In my opinion if you want to play necro, sylvari is an interesting choice. This is because they are very interested in death, because they are so new in this world. Secondly necromancer is sometimes seen as a bit of a darker profession, and sylvari are most naive and innocent.Mesmer: I think human or asura would fit pretty good, because of their sneaky and political games. Humans might be best, bc of fashionwars (most armor is made for the human female, so if you want to be fabulous, play human)

btw: On the gw2 wiki you can find an armor gallery, you might wanna check that out.

• 7 months later...

Don't really understand what the post wanted to ask but I just list down my own class and races mix I'm thinking of doing. Alone with what pact I will make them go with, one form each Profession Type.Male Charr Engineer: Charr's iron legion where the pioned of the engineer class so my guys in there and also in the Vigil because a military need good weapons to fight the dragons. (Though I like to think of him as big old soft inside)Male Asura Necromancer: This crazy full black-eyed Asura is a part of the college of Dynamics because of some of the best golem builders where appends Necromancers and in the Durmand Priory as the only scholar class that would go there.Male Norn Guardian: An ego fullied Norn looking for fame. He would go with the Durmand Priory because he thinks that if he protests them, there would write his name down as the greatest defender of all time.Male Human Thief: Gowing up on the streets as a thief but evenly becomes a top Deadeye assassin the Order of Whisper every had. Able to kill an enemy for a great descent.Female Sylvari Hunter: She is wild but cheers full one who is one with the animals when she was awaked and learns to be one with them as a soulbeast. To understand her soul ability she joins the Durmand Priory.Female Charr Elementalist: Look down for her feather been part of the fleam legion, she joins the blood leagues to show them and the fleam legion that she is a powerful warrior who changes the elements into her weapons. Becoming a powerful Weaver in the Vigil.Female Asura Revenant: Born blind, she becomes the newest profession to help her see and to study the mist as a collage of (Statics or Synergetics, don't know which would study this stuff.) She joins the order of whispers to see what secrets there have.Female Human Mesmer: A hight socially woman who love to enter the people all around her with her ticks. She joins the Order of Whispers as her tricks make her great at what the order does.Female Norn Warrior: That just leaves a hard strict Norn woman of the Vigil.That my characters I'm planning thought I'm wounding what collage my female asura should go to.

Warrior class for humans ,and magic class, but to me many humans find themselves fighting without magic and becoming warriors not while not as super strong as the charr or norn as both them are simply born strong, and with alot of stamina. To me warrior fits humans since its the main class most humans may take next to magic classes which is the second highest remember before guild wars 1 magic class was the favor now with magic less effective warrior's are needed more and magic is getting less effective thanks to the elder dragons and most great magical spells and have been lost and or destroyed, added that humans had the ability to be granted resurrection spells something no other race had access too hence human warriors did not fear permanent death unless it was their time to die and stay dead.

@norbes.3620 said:

In GW1, assassin was linked to Lyssa and Grenth. It was the shrines of Lyssa that you went to to buff thief attributes, but in the fluff there's mention of assassins seeking the blessing of Grenth before executing a contract.

Given that GW2 Thieves are less concerned with dealing death and more on general trickery, they'd probably be full Lyssa if they worship anyone at all.

For revenant, one could make an argument for Kormir and/or Grenth. Grenth historically was related to Ritualists, so the connection might transfer through, and some of the legends are linked in some way to Abaddon and therefore Kormir, so devout soldiers of Kormir could see it as being a means of growing closer to Kormir. More broadly speaking, revenant involves gaining knowledge about history and entities who have died, which fits squarely into the domains of Grenth and Kormir.

Engineer, I could see being Kormir primarily (knowledge), with some engineers following Lyssa (inspiration), Dwayna (those who primarily act as medics) or, pre-PoF, Balthazar (those who see the profession from more of a military perspective, or who just like fire). Coincidentally, three of those have special toolbelt skills for human engineers.

Elementalist, as previously noted, can be pretty much spread across all the gods, depending on the inclinations of the specific elementalist.

I like going against the grain, myself. Most of my characters are female, except a male Sylvari warrior. But I have a Norn necromancer (Raven spirit), an asura guardian (named Demolitionist Cassu - they don't all have to be geniuses), Sylvari engineer (somehow a combustible plant running around with a flame thrower amused me).

• 5 months later...

CharrBlood - warriorAsh - thiefIron - engineerFormer flame legion - elemental

Asura, I like to match to personal story inventionWeather machine - elementalTime machine - chronomancerGolem - engineer

NornRaven - necro and mesmerSnow leopard- thiefWolf - guardianBear - warriorAny ranger

SylvariThe least clear to me. I’ve tried to match to which cycle they were born but honestly it is weak role play. Ranger and Elemental seem most natural

HumanI like high born to be scholarsLow born to be thief

I think that the race-choice would mean something, if races could not play all professions (just like in Wow). I gave myself a max of 3 for fun.

My choices would be:Sylvari: necromancer (fascination with death), ele and ranger (nature/magic classes)Asura: engineer (bc techno race), thief and necromancer (bc of their backstabby political scheming)Norn: ranger, guardian and warrior (obvious choices)Charr: warrior, engi (bc of their war machines) and revenantHumans: guardian and elementalist and mesmer (bc focus on political scheming, nobility and honour)

• 2 weeks later...

@"brenda.9723" said:I think that the race-choice would mean something, if races could not play all professions (just like in Wow). I gave myself a max of 3 for fun.

My choices would be:Sylvari: necromancer (fascination with death), ele and ranger (nature/magic classes)Asura: engineer (bc techno race), thief and necromancer (bc of their backstabby political scheming)Norn: ranger, guardian and warrior (obvious choices)Charr: warrior, engi (bc of their war machines) and revenantHumans: guardian and elementalist and mesmer (bc focus on political scheming, nobility and honour)Why would they have a fascination with death? In the dream they should've experienced Riannoc's death to Mazdack the Accursed ( https://wiki-en.guildwars2.com/wiki/Riannoc ) ( https://wiki-en.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mazdak_the_Accursed )

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@"brenda.9723" said:I think that the race-choice would mean something, if races could not play all professions (just like in Wow). I gave myself a max of 3 for fun.

My choices would be:
Sylvari:
necromancer (fascination with death), ele and ranger (nature/magic classes)
Asura:
engineer (bc techno race), thief and necromancer (bc of their backstabby political scheming)
Norn:
ranger, guardian and warrior (obvious choices)
Charr:
warrior, engi (bc of their war machines) and revenant
Humans:
guardian and elementalist and mesmer (bc focus on political scheming, nobility and honour)Why would they have a fascination with death? In the dream they should've experienced Riannoc's death to Mazdack the Accursed (
) (
)

it is from the book 'ghost's of ascalon'

but to be honest, apart from Engi all classes go well with sylvari.

Humans all classes

Asura all classes minus mesmer.

Norn ranger, warrior, guardian, rev I see go well

charr warrior, engi, ranger, thief, ele.