@ANet: If you want financial success to improve, give the players what they have been asking for

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kharmin.7683 said:

@lothefallen.7081 said:-Cantha expansionNo, thank you.-Playable Tengu raceNo, thank you.-New elite specsOk, if balance can be achieved-Demonetize build templatesNo, thank you.-Overhaul core dungeon explorable paths with strike mission mechanics and add incentives for vets to help new players learn how to play properly with achievements and rewardsHow will overhauling these things incentivize any of the results given here?Dungeons are the first group content that the game encourages players to check out. Right now, the dungeon system in this game is a liability. It scares more people away from the game with a dead LFG when these instances could be used to teach new players how to play correctly and create a pipeline to fractals and raids. When you get a mail as you're leveling to check out these dungeons, make an automatic group finder for them. Get these new players learning break bars, cc, and dodging instead of roaming an empty overworld for 80 levels. New players won't stay for the current experience. You need to think about how your game should be designed to bring players into the fold, not alienate them because the first group content they touch is atrocious and no longer supported development. You need to fix this system. It's absolutely dire.Better tutorial, sure.-Allow LWS1 to be playable so new players can actually orient themselves in the world and feel attached to the story instead of just watching a cinematic with 0 information.No, thank you.-Stop the drip feed saga story focus. REPEATABLE CONTENT. REWARD SYSTEMS. GET PEOPLE PLAYING TOGETHER MEANINGFULLYNo, thank you.-Refocus on guild content and guild cohesion. We need more types of guild missions, more rewards, GvG, bonuses for clearing daily fractals or raids with guilds, come on.Need to focus on guild content before they can re-focus on it.-Stop putting all the flashiest rewards in the gemstore. Monetize your expansion. Reward players for playing the game first, then try to milk them on cosmetics and QoL second.No, thank you. Game needs to make money somehow and items in gemstore can easily be purchased with gold -> gem conversion.

-GW player since 2005Is this supposed to provide some legitimacy?

What would u actually want from this game, as it seems u like current state of it?

@lothefallen.7081 said:-Cantha expansion

No thank you, going to visit a xenophobic empire that absord the only two factions that made that area interesting chased off the Tengu, had parts of its cities sink(including Monastery probably, we know the battle isles sank.) and with the jade sea being just that a sea now it would be a terribly small continent.

-Playable Tengu race

Yes please

-New elite specs

Yes, but only if they make sense

-Demonetize build templates

Yes

-Overhaul core dungeon explorable paths with strike mission mechanics and add incentives for vets to help new players learn how to play properly with achievements and rewards

No. Leave dungeons as they are. They are easy to do 5 man content.

Dungeons are the first group content that the game encourages players to check out. Right now, the dungeon system in this game is a liability. It scares more people away from the game with a dead LFG when these instances could be used to teach new players how to play correctly and create a pipeline to fractals and raids. When you get a mail as you're leveling to check out these dungeons, make an automatic group finder for them. Get these new players learning break bars, cc, and dodging instead of roaming an empty overworld for 80 levels. New players won't stay for the current experience. You need to think about how your game should be designed to bring players into the fold, not alienate them because the first group content they touch is atrocious and no longer supported development. You need to fix this system. It's absolutely dire.Disagree, the OW isnt empty either.

-Allow LWS1 to be playable so new players can actually orient themselves in the world and feel attached to the story instead of just watching a cinematic with 0 information.

Yes. I still dont know how my character knows half the characters in the story.

-Stop the drip feed saga story focus. REPEATABLE CONTENT. REWARD SYSTEMS. GET PEOPLE PLAYING TOGETHER MEANINGFULLY

I like the way they are doing the new saga.

-Refocus on guild content and guild cohesion. We need more types of guild missions, more rewards, GvG, bonuses for clearing daily fractals or raids with guilds, come on.

Ehhh..Guild missions and rewards i agree with, the rest not so much.

-Stop putting all the flashiest rewards in the gemstore. Monetize your expansion. Reward players for playing the game first, then try to milk them on cosmetics and QoL second.

This i agree with...sort of. Because when they put a flashy weapon in the game it has such a low drop rate as to be absurd.

@lothefallen.7081 said:-Cantha expansion

I'm not sure I want to revisit the worst possible area/lore/story of the guild wars franchise. I'd like an expansion though so if Cantha is next expansion, so be it.

-Playable Tengu race

Bleh. Not really a fan of races, especially non-human looking ones. I'm sure the popularity of Charr is Asura is also rather low, compared to the humanoid races.Of course any new race would have to be level 80 only and only participate in the story of the expansion. Even allowing Revenants to start from level 1 and play the original personal story was a stretch. But I guess it wasn't a new race, didn't need new voice acting and all that so it's excused.

-New elite specs

Obviously.

-Demonetize build templates

Yes yes. They are way too overpriced. Bundle it with the next expansion and I'd pay for it.

-Overhaul core dungeon explorable paths with strike mission mechanics and add incentives for vets to help new players learn how to play properly with achievements and rewards

They need to overhaul strike missions and add incentives for players to play them first. Dungeons are really old content using prehistoric tools so not sure how much they can improve/overhaul them. Removing them from the game would be a better option. Although I understand why they are still there.

-Allow LWS1 to be playable so new players can actually orient themselves in the world and feel attached to the story instead of just watching a cinematic with 0 information.

I'd like to have the story instances of LWS1 come back, especially those that introduce the Dragon's Watch members. Not really sure making the entire Season 1 replayable would make any kind of sense though. Remember those big epic battles worked -because- it was temporary content and everyone was there. How would you bring back the Karka Invasion of Lion's Arch, Escape from Lion's Arch AND Battle for Lion's Arch content at the same time. Lunacy.

-Stop the drip feed saga story focus. REPEATABLE CONTENT. REWARD SYSTEMS. GET PEOPLE PLAYING TOGETHER MEANINGFULLY

Yes to more repeatable content

-Refocus on guild content and guild cohesion. We need more types of guild missions, more rewards, GvG, bonuses for clearing daily fractals or raids with guilds, come on.

If you need extra rewards to get your guild members to play together then you need better guild members, or better guild leadership, or better guild in general. A big no to any kind of extra rewards for guilds when they do Raids, Fractals and such together. It would make playing in a guild essential (and a big guild at that). New guild missions for the current types? Sure.

-Stop putting all the flashiest rewards in the gemstore. Monetize your expansion. Reward players for playing the game first, then try to milk them on cosmetics and QoL second.

Already said yes to an expansion.

@"lothefallen.7081" said:Any other ideas, feel free to add to the post.

A few of my own:

Fix the performance of the game. It's silly that an external tool can make such a big difference but the actual engine developers cannot do anything. Ditch Windows XP, it's 2020. When I see "Windows® XP Service Pack 3 or better" in the minimum requirements I have to think that's the reason you aren't updating your god damn engine to later standards. Remove Windows XP from requirements (and Vista), so the Core game/ Heart of Thorns have the same requirements as Path of Fire.

Overhaul the core game and Heart of Thorns with the graphical improvements that started in Path of Fire. Players see promos of the exciting new content of the latest area, only to see the dull and uninspired initial areas of the game. Go to Elona and check the night sky. Compare with Core Tyria. How difficult would changing the skybox be? Also, since the rest of the effects are post process it should be a painless experience to enable them. Shader Model 3.0 is ages old. Upgrade it to newer/faster/better versions

Overhaul the start of the game.

Better tutorials, better leveling experience, more informative early levels. Add a break bar tutorial in some way...

Allow players to start the personal story when they exit the tutorial. The times people asked me "what now?" once they finish the tutorial shows that requiring players to reach level 10 before accessing the story was a huge mistake. Split the story in two (play half at level 1 and the rest at level 10 if need be) but this whole situation is confusing.

Allow players to start the game without selecting a WORLD. Worlds only mean something when you join WVW so why in the world are players required to select their world before they even get to WVW? Bring the World selection screen up the first time a player joins WVW, after they join a guild. After they realize they might want to PVP with them.

Add a new low-level mount available to Core Players. The suggestion: "Now that you are level 80 go to Path of Fire, unlock the Raptor, then come back and enjoy the rest of the game" is a valid one (because the Raptor does make a huge difference) but it's a confusing one. Core players/new players need a mount, without a leap probably, to be able to keep up with veterans.

My 2 cents.

I dont like Cantha.

I dont really like Tengu. Many people like em, others dont.

I also do not care about dungeons... Being turned into strikes. Current strikes, as they are, NEW content, arent becoming excessively popular cause ppl think theyre too hard/constantly fail mechanics. And then lfgs "50-250 LI" pop up. Do you think veterans will somehow be more inclined to teach newbies the mechanics in dungeons? No, veterans will just ask for 2550 LI and do the content. Wanting new fractals (the substitute for dungeons), I can understand.

Wvw/pvp huge nerf balance patch is incoming. Could this (even remotely) mean new specs? Chance are slim, but one can hope.

New expansions are always welcome.

@Svarty.8019 said:

• lws1 episodes please. Missed out on most of them, I'd gladly pay gems to play them

I bet this is the new Visions of the Past thing they're making is. Either that or it's something to do with Fracdulls.

I can tell you that part of has to do with Ryland's back story, they already said that much.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"lothefallen.7081" said:Any other ideas, feel free to add to the post.

A few of my own:

Fix the performance of the game. It's silly that an external tool can make such a big difference but the actual engine developers cannot do anything. Ditch Windows XP, it's 2020. When I see "Windows® XP Service Pack 3 or better" in the minimum requirements I have to think that's the reason you aren't updating your god kitten engine to later standards. Remove Windows XP from requirements (and Vista), so the Core game/ Heart of Thorns have the same requirements as Path of Fire.

Overhaul the core game and Heart of Thorns with the graphical improvements that started in Path of Fire. Players see promos of the exciting new content of the latest area, only to see the dull and uninspired initial areas of the game. Go to Elona and check the night sky. Compare with Core Tyria. How difficult would changing the skybox be? Also, since the rest of the effects are post process it should be a painless experience to enable them. Shader Model 3.0 is ages old. Upgrade it to newer/faster/better versions

~snip~

All of the above is a lot easier said than done, this game is still based on the original GW1 engine, you're talking about taking apart spaghetti code and trying to update it by inserting new elements. A lot of the changes made for PoF aren't internal to the engine, they're done by other means and if they tried to update the game as you suggest I wouldn't expect ANY new content for at least 12 months if not longer, as it would take them that long to implement. It's not worth it investment wise and development wise.

Different groups of players ask for different things. No company has an unlimited budget in time or manpower, so they have to choose what they offer. And some groups ask louder than others, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily the biggest demographcs. You're making something that's very difficult seem very easy. For example, I'm not asking for a new dungeon. And I wouldn't really care if a new dungeon was ever added to the game.

If they can add raids and place them into currently existing maps to please a small core audience without monetizing it, they can update dungeons.Personally, I feel there is an identity crisis between Dungeons, Fractals, Strike missions and Raids when essentially Raids are just Elite Dungeons , Fractals are stand a lone dungeon style scenarios, and strike missions are just Champion boss fights but for smaller groups instead of open world zergs.

Just dropped in to add my sentiments and 100% agreeance with OP.

also.. - Dyeable Weapons!!

Anet has been hiding behind the story and expansions trying desperately to avoid their dreaded C-word (Cantha). Considering they've released content for virtually every other playable area that existed in GW1, there's not a lot left to release, and Cantha is a big part of it.

The Tengu will add more to Anet's coffers as it'll encourage more people to buy up on character slots and all the good guff that comes along with it (armours, etc,). There can be story arcs regarding the Tengu as well, like the Aerie, the Sensali, etc. stuff that quite a few GW1 people may have forgotten about, and something that will intrigue people that get into these story arcs if they're new to the game.

As far as game story longevity has gone, GW1 didn't go on as far as GW2 has. It started in 2005 and GW2 released in 2012. It's now 2020 and we still haven't seen what could be touted as being the best content the game has to offer... yet. If only they'd commit to more new stuff instead of making drip-feed LS stories, irritating balance patches, etc. They're so focused on longevity but won't commit to the last piece of the GW puzzle.

Most GW1 vet's really appreciated that side of the game - Shing Jea Monastery (and the Boardwalk), Kaineng Center, Luxons vs Kurzicks, siege turtles, juggernauts, elite content (The Deep, Urgoz), Alliance Battles... :astonished:

shut_up_and_take_my_money.gif

I'd like actual WvW progress like what they said, you remember anet? ALLIANCES?- but they're turning it into PvE and alienating good players and WvW guilds that thrive on skill - Anet only wants to focus on pushing more mount skins, chair skins and tool skins because that's the content they know you'll buy

I like to have some Tengu arc story but not playable race since after personal story it's just there for cosmetic... unless Anet decide to make all race power become more impact. (I don't understand why they feature many playable race in first place if they didn't try to push their uniqueness it's oblivious people would pick human the most in any games. )

More Cultural Armor (or at least more race theme armor that can be worn by all race specialize Sylvari theme need more love), New face/hair options instant of boring item like toy/chair only for rich player who don't know what to do with their 100000+ gold like this even new player would consider to spend real money for.

Overhaul dungeon make it public area or at least more solo friendly. (for solo player to have something to do after complete story content and unlock all elite profestion)

I also like bounty a lot but there's no reason to repeat them anymore after unlock achievement. (maybe buff reward and add more bounty to core and hots area? )

I wouldnt completely demonetise build templates, the gear storage they can charge for but the rest should be free and each expac should give you 3 build and skill templates per class outside the cap (like shared inv slots).

Expacs, yes please, cantga esp i really like, some of the best zones they've ever done.

Other than that, obv new specs, wvw and pvp love and most of all a big push for modernizing the game. Customisable ui, flexible options to hide other player apearance, infusions, skill effects (of your choosing always) and last but not least substantial engine updates so the game can actually get the most out of current tech.

More Cultural Armor (or at least more race theme armor that can be worn by all race specialize Sylvari theme need more love), New face/hair options instant of boring item like toy/chair only for rich player who don't know what to do with their 100000+ gold like this even new player would consider to spend real money for.

This!!!^^