Jormag and Lovecraft

EdwinLi.1284

So anyone else notice the heavy influence of Lovecraft for this Saga involving how Jormag mentally attacks people, the Saga Episode Titles, and creatures seen.

Jormag attacks by making people question what is real or not thus they question what they see which we see a lot if we travel around the map encountering things and people only to later find out those people are dead for a long time.

There is also how Jormag is mentally attacking people to question if people through their "needs" with promises of giving them what they want if they just allow themselves to be Corrupted or making them question if they can trust their friends.

Not to mention the creatures such as the Boneskinner.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Well, I mean, when ArenaNet announced the Icebrood Saga at PAX, they did say they were aiming for a Lovecraftian feel.

So it's good that they're getting a bit in that direction.

At this point I won't be surprised if Jormag turns out to look like some Lovecraft abomination or (maybe) DSD appears at the end revealing he/she looks like a Lovecraft abomination to match being the "Cthulhu" of the Elder Dragons.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Well, I mean, when ArenaNet announced the Icebrood Saga at PAX, they did say they were aiming for a Lovecraftian feel.

So it's good that they're getting a bit in that direction.

At this point I won't be surprised if Jormag turns out to look like some Lovecraft abomination or (maybe) DSD appears at the end revealing he/she looks like a Lovecraft abomination to match being the "Cthulhu" of the Elder Dragons.

I think DSD is what the majority has been leaning towards, especially with the tentacley minions and such. I never really got the impression that the Lovecraft theme they were hoping for was really going to solely apply to Jormag, and right now it feels like it's just building up to something else.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if all those people who throw around Lovecraft's name actually have read his works.It feels like as soon as something just remotely touches a matter Lovecraft used in works works, people scream his name.

Lovecraft was neither the first nor the last that used "mind attacks" in his works.Even the so-called Cthulhu mythos isn't made alone by him, many other authors built onto his works to broad said mythos.Also, Lovecraft was an extreme racist (so much so, that it reviled people around him, despite racism having been common during his life time), it even is reflected is his works. Yet this is suspiciously absent when people talk about Lovecraftian.Lovecraft wasn't only about minds and tentacles, he works are about far more.Even Bloodborne, the objectively most Lovecraftian game, only barely touches the surface.

Therefore, this is not even close to Lovecraft.It might very remotely, barely resemble tidbits of what he used, but that's not even close to be sufficient of calling it Lovecraftian.

@"Fueki.4753" said:I wonder if all those people who throw around Lovecraft's name actually have read his works.It feels like as soon as something just remotely touches a matter Lovecraft used in works works, people scream his name.

Lovecraft was neither the first nor the last that used "mind attacks" in his works.Even the so-called Cthulhu mythos isn't made alone by him, many other authors built onto his works to broad said mythos.Also, Lovecraft was an extreme racist (so much so, that it reviled people around him, despite racism having been common during his life time), it even is reflected is his works. Yet this is suspiciously absent when people talk about Lovecraftian.Lovecraft wasn't only about minds and tentacles, he works are about far more.Even Bloodborne, the objectively most Lovecraftian game, only barely touches the surface.

Therefore, this is not even close to Lovecraft.It might very remotely, barely resemble tidbits of what he used, but that's not even close to be sufficient of calling it Lovecraftian.

recently i revisited some movies based on stephen king, so to me Icebrood Saga had seems have more a "stephen king" like atmosphere, or a hitchcock too.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:I wonder if all those people who throw around Lovecraft's name actually have read his works.It feels like as soon as something just remotely touches a matter Lovecraft used in works works, people scream his name.

Lovecraft was neither the first nor the last that used "mind attacks" in his works.Even the so-called
Cthulhu mythos
isn't made alone by him, many other authors built onto his works to broad said mythos.Also, Lovecraft was an extreme racist (so much so, that it reviled people around him, despite racism having been common during his life time), it even is reflected is his works. Yet this is suspiciously absent when people talk about
Lovecraftian
.Lovecraft wasn't only about minds and tentacles, he works are about far more.Even Bloodborne, the
objectively
most
Lovecraftian
game, only barely touches the surface.

Therefore, this is not even close to Lovecraft.It might very remotely, barely resemble tidbits of what he used, but that's not even close to be sufficient of calling it
Lovecraftian

recently i revisited some movies based on stephen king, so to me Icebrood Saga had seems have more a "stephen king" like atmosphere, or a hitchcock too.

That is not necs surprising given Stephen King's chief influence was Lovecraft. Hitchcock's Psycho is based on the book by Robert Bloch who was also inspired heavily by Lovecraft.

Whilst Lovecraft himself brought together a lot of stuff from his own peers and predecessors (Poe, Blackwood, Hodgson etc), most modern horror writers in film, games and books can be traced back to Lovecraft