I'm sorry for Trahearne (SPOILERS)

Clyan.1593

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Fenella.2634 said:Uhm... I actually don't hate Braham as well :lol: I play light-armor classes mostly, so NPCs like Braham and Canach are nice shields. ^^His emo phase just seemed to be some teenager thing, no big deal, nothing to get upset about. At least I couldn't take it seriously at any point and just waited for him to calm down.

So yeah, I guess we've got pretty different views on the characters, @Oglaf.1074 ? :lol:

Well, my hate for him stems mostly from a purely Norn-y perspective. I feel like the way my character dealt with his emo-ness was extremely jarring and unfitting to a character who also knew Eir to such a degree as he does. Had the writers actually given you some unique Norn-y ways to deal with him, I guess it wouldn't have been so bad.

Like, my Norn knew Eir better then Braham ever could. I just wish he would've slapped him upside the head and told him off for being selfish in acting like Eir's death affected him way worse than anyone else... :angry:

I agree completely about Braham, It felt very un norn like to mourn that way. I heard a lot of people say "he is a teen that lost his mother, it makes sense" but that would be true if he were a human, or not already established as being pretty typical norn as far as cultural values. To me, as a norn he was disrespecting his mother's legend by acting that way. Anet goes out of their way to say that Norn are not just big humans, but they constantly ignore Norn specific culture and just go for cliche, relatable writing, making them come off as essentially just big humans.

I couldn’t agree more about how Anet are essentially wasting the potential of the Norn race. It is as you say, your average player really just sees them as “big humans”.

Here’s hoping for a third expansion focusing on the Norns and Jormag, eh?

@Fenella.2634 said:Uhm... I actually don't hate Braham as well :lol: I play light-armor classes mostly, so NPCs like Braham and Canach are nice shields. ^^His emo phase just seemed to be some teenager thing, no big deal, nothing to get upset about. At least I couldn't take it seriously at any point and just waited for him to calm down.

So yeah, I guess we've got pretty different views on the characters, @Oglaf.1074 ? :lol:

Well, my hate for him stems mostly from a purely Norn-y perspective. I feel like the way my character dealt with his emo-ness was extremely jarring and unfitting to a character who also knew Eir to such a degree as he does. Had the writers actually given you some unique Norn-y ways to deal with him, I guess it wouldn't have been so bad.

Like, my Norn knew Eir better then Braham ever could. I just wish he would've slapped him upside the head and told him off for being selfish in acting like Eir's death affected him way worse than anyone else... :angry:

I agree completely about Braham, It felt very un norn like to mourn that way. I heard a lot of people say "he is a teen that lost his mother, it makes sense" but that would be true if he were a human, or not already established as being pretty typical norn as far as cultural values. To me, as a norn he was disrespecting his mother's legend by acting that way. Anet goes out of their way to say that Norn are not just big humans, but they constantly ignore Norn specific culture and just go for cliche, relatable writing, making them come off as essentially just big humans.

I couldn’t agree more about how Anet are essentially wasting the potential of the Norn race. It is as you say, your average player really just sees them as “big humans”.

Here’s hoping for a third expansion focusing on the Norns and Jormag, eh?

The Norn to me are the race I sympathize the third most with after humans and Sylvari, and by far the ones I think with the most potential. There's a whole pantheon of untapped spirits of the wild that we just don't look into in favor of the four primary ones. Likewise the Norns dynamic with groups like the Son's of Svanir is interesting, there's no real centralized social structure and by extension there really isn't a traditional concept of good and evil. Norn are individualistic to the extreme, seeking fame, fortune, and glory to build a legend sometimes without regards for the pesky ethical questions of that legend, with all the good and the bad that come with that. I could see a compelling character crafted as an anti-villian whose central premise isn't that he wants to consume the world or murder people of power, but rather that he just wants to be legendary.

And there's so much room for exploration of different cultural facets, of what various Norn tribes might do isolated from one another. They have no government, no army, no centralized police force outside of major crimes. A major city could easily qualify as a hostile zone cause, it's not quite lawless, but it is rife wit people out there out to make a name for themselves with no real sense of constraint. On the flipside you could see the benefits of this borderline anarchy where people are allowed to be free, to voice whatever opinion they might want, to pursue whatever they might want to do. As long as it's building some magnificent legend it wouldn't be considered 'un-Norn like' to be a Mesmeric painter or structural engineer, and that's a missed opportunity. Because people don't just see Norn as bigger humans right now, they see them as oafish dumb brutes, and you can weave a much more interesting and less one dimensional personality then that out of a society where anything can happen.

To all those who love saying he is a Mary Sue, you are completely off base with this statement just as much as those who thought Scarlet was.

1st off Anet has not gone into super detail on exactly how each Sylvari is affected by their Wyld Hunt, given the fact that they were originally minions designed to conquer the land it is 100% possible that EACH Sylvari actually has a specialized focus since their "birth" like say Scarlet maybe having a natural affinity for learning (which would explain how she was able to grasp and do well with all the various teachings she experience), Trahearne could have had an affinity for strategy and military formations (considering the original purpose of Mordrem this is highly possible).

2nd he didn't appear out of "no where" to those saying this Im very certain you either never played a Slyvari or you rushed through all the dialog options, cause let's face it the core story/game was setting things up for the 1st expansion very very obviously. IF you played a Slyvari and even just did the very first part of your PS you are told of the Firstborn and his deeds, he is introduced in a very normal fashion, a problem does arise if you play any other race in that you feel he is suddenly forced into the story. But this makes sense from all aspects, if you go to another land or maybe just a different company or branch of military, do you all the sudden know of the entire past of your superiors? Would you call your RL boss/superior a Mary Sue just because they have skills and a history you don't know about?If you played as a human and actually paid attention you'd realize Humans in Tyria aren't always honest and don't always care about the other races, hell we were that way in GW, we never learned WHY the Charr hated us until you actually played a bit, we didn't know much about Asura until you went and met them nor the Dwarves. Norn are the same, it took meeting a Jotun to learn about their past, Asura as a whole seem to view other beneath them and clearly (few exceptions) don't bother to even acknowledge others achievements.And as Rognik said unless you wanted to play Paperwork Wars, there is zero reason for you to be the Leader of the Pact, you would never do half the missions we did or be placed directly on the front lines getting to actually fight, the EXACT reason Brimstone hated being in a position of leadership and why as a Charr you never see any of the Imperator's out and about on missions until it was highly important and they absolutely needed to be there, Smodur literally spends all his time doing paperwork and meetings. I for one would have absolutely hated the game if I had to play THAT role.

Finally the idea that Trahearne stole your story is completely insane, the entire story you play is all about you rising to power, you aiding the Orders, you joining them and rising through the ranks, you befriending DE and you leading the assaults on various important fights and marks in the history of the world, Trahearne does the boring things that DO NOT make an adventure RPG.

@"mightylemur.7160" said:I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but if anything, the PC is more of a mary sue in my opinion rather than Trahearne (not that I have a problem with it). Also, Trahearne is the one asking you what to do in nearly every situation :)

yea I'd agree at the start of the story we are totally one, later on though not so much because we learn skills and since they made masteries its justified I believe, since you are "gaining experience" to learn how to do it, granted thats just events and killing mobs/hearts and doesnt have anything to actually do with your mount learning to long jump or you learning how to mount up mid air (griffon)

@mightylemur.7160 said:I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but if anything, the PC is more of a mary sue in my opinion rather than Trahearne (not that I have a problem with it). Also, Trahearne is the one asking you what to do in nearly every situation :)

Player Characters being Mary Sues is industry standard when it comes to vidja gajms.

RPGs in particular. Power Fantasy and all that.

I can't say I ever liked Trahearne, despite his importance he was rather bland and uninteresting. Even in death, he could barely muster up any emotion. I don't miss him. Maybe if his character had shown a bit more emotion, but in 99% of the scenes, his Voice Actor sounded uninterested in the character he was playing.

I personally am glad that he made a heroic sacrifice in the end. A good ending for a so-so character.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@mightylemur.7160 said:I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but if anything, the PC is more of a mary sue in my opinion rather than Trahearne (not that I have a problem with it). Also, Trahearne is the one asking
you
what to do in nearly every situation :)

Player Characters being Mary Sues is industry standard when it comes to vidja gajms.

RPGs in particular. Power Fantasy and all that.

I agree and understand why they do it. Players would be quite unhappy if their character would do something that they themselves would not do in some situations.

@"JOKERVIRUS.6501" said:To all those who love saying he is a Mary Sue, you are completely off base with this statement just as much as those who thought Scarlet was.

1st off Anet has not gone into super detail on exactly how each Sylvari is affected by their Wyld Hunt, given the fact that they were originally minions designed to conquer the land it is 100% possible that EACH Sylvari actually has a specialized focus since their "birth" like say Scarlet maybe having a natural affinity for learning (which would explain how she was able to grasp and do well with all the various teachings she experience), Trahearne could have had an affinity for strategy and military formations (considering the original purpose of Mordrem this is highly possible).

2nd he didn't appear out of "no where" to those saying this Im very certain you either never played a Slyvari or you rushed through all the dialog options, cause let's face it the core story/game was setting things up for the 1st expansion very very obviously. IF you played a Slyvari and even just did the very first part of your PS you are told of the Firstborn and his deeds, he is introduced in a very normal fashion, a problem does arise if you play any other race in that you feel he is suddenly forced into the story. But this makes sense from all aspects, if you go to another land or maybe just a different company or branch of military, do you all the sudden know of the entire past of your superiors? Would you call your RL boss/superior a Mary Sue just because they have skills and a history you don't know about?If you played as a human and actually paid attention you'd realize Humans in Tyria aren't always honest and don't always care about the other races, hell we were that way in GW, we never learned WHY the Charr hated us until you actually played a bit, we didn't know much about Asura until you went and met them nor the Dwarves. Norn are the same, it took meeting a Jotun to learn about their past, Asura as a whole seem to view other beneath them and clearly (few exceptions) don't bother to even acknowledge others achievements.And as Rognik said unless you wanted to play Paperwork Wars, there is zero reason for you to be the Leader of the Pact, you would never do half the missions we did or be placed directly on the front lines getting to actually fight, the EXACT reason Brimstone hated being in a position of leadership and why as a Charr you never see any of the Imperator's out and about on missions until it was highly important and they absolutely needed to be there, Smodur literally spends all his time doing paperwork and meetings. I for one would have absolutely hated the game if I had to play THAT role.

Finally the idea that Trahearne stole your story is completely insane, the entire story you play is all about you rising to power, you aiding the Orders, you joining them and rising through the ranks, you befriending DE and you leading the assaults on various important fights and marks in the history of the world, Trahearne does the boring things that DO NOT make an adventure RPG.

Beautifully said

I really disliked Trahearne at first, but over time and as I did more of the personal stories for all of the races, the more I grew to like him.

I think the real problems with Trahearne are in three parts. The first part is that he's a good old friend with our Order mentor. And we find this out right before we lose our mentor. They meet, talk about old times for a bit (cutting us out of the conversation), and then that's the last we really talk to our mentor until the end. But there's Trahearne still, and the natural thought is "Why couldn't it have been you?"

Second is the way things are presented. There's backstory between him and the orders, but you don't know that before it becomes important. And if you're not playing a sylvari, you don't know him at all. If he had been there, waiting to talk to your order leader the first time you met them, you would have known about his history with them AND with your mentor before it was a story point.

Finally, I've realized who made me feel like I was just a support character in Trahearne's story, and it wasn't Trahearne. It was the Pale Tree. When we meet her, she focuses almost entirely on him, we're just an afterthought (even if we're a sylvari). He's told of his great destiny and how he'll lead Tyria to victory over the Elder Dragon. And we're ... along for the ride, so do try to be useful. And don't get in the great Firstborn's way. She even gives him, the non-combatant, the legendary weapon. (And if you're a sylvari, you're the one that got that damned sword back to begin with!) Yes, it turns out that he needs it later on to cleanse Orr, but we don't know that at the time. And while it may be an important symbol to the sylvari, nobody else knows what it is. It's not a symbol of leadership to bring the Orders together, but it IS a powerful weapon. Which we don't get, because Trahearne's the only one the Tree cares about.

@"Palador.2170" said:I really disliked Trahearne at first, but over time and as I did more of the personal stories for all of the races, the more I grew to like him.

I think the real problems with Trahearne are in three parts. The first part is that he's a good old friend with our Order mentor. And we find this out right before we lose our mentor. They meet, talk about old times for a bit (cutting us out of the conversation), and then that's the last we really talk to our mentor until the end. But there's Trahearne still, and the natural thought is "Why couldn't it have been you?"

Second is the way things are presented. There's backstory between him and the orders, but you don't know that before it becomes important. And if you're not playing a sylvari, you don't know him at all. If he had been there, waiting to talk to your order leader the first time you met them, you would have known about his history with them AND with your mentor before it was a story point.

Finally, I've realized who made me feel like I was just a support character in Trahearne's story, and it wasn't Trahearne. It was the Pale Tree. When we meet her, she focuses almost entirely on him, we're just an afterthought (even if we're a sylvari). He's told of his great destiny and how he'll lead Tyria to victory over the Elder Dragon. And we're ... along for the ride, so do try to be useful. And don't get in the great Firstborn's way. She even gives him, the non-combatant, the legendary weapon. (And if you're a sylvari, you're the one that got that damned sword back to begin with!) Yes, it turns out that he needs it later on to cleanse Orr, but we don't know that at the time. And while it may be an important symbol to the sylvari, nobody else knows what it is. It's not a symbol of leadership to bring the Orders together, but it IS a powerful weapon. Which we don't get, because Trahearne's the only one the Tree cares about.

My issues with Trahearne tie in a lot with my issues with Sylvari as a whole and honestly it traces back to the tree too. I suppose I should be glad then that her wounding pushed the tree into the background.

@Palador.2170 said:

Well thats pretty much why Canach dislikes the Firstborn in the first place

They are THE firstborn and the rest is JUST Sylvari

@JOKERVIRUS.6501 said:And as Rognik said unless you wanted to play Paperwork Wars, there is zero reason for you to be the Leader of the Pact, you would never do half the missions we did or be placed directly on the front lines getting to actually fight, the EXACT reason Brimstone hated being in a position of leadership and why as a Charr you never see any of the Imperator's out and about on missions until it was highly important and they absolutely needed to be there, Smodur literally spends all his time doing paperwork and meetings. I for one would have absolutely hated the game if I had to play THAT role.

That's why I said my preference would have been for us not to be the leader of the pact, but a field commander of our Order in Orr.

I do questions Trehearne's wisdom some times, particularly when he decides that it would be smart for the #1 and #2 of the Pact to isolate themselves on a flying ship with the Eye of Zhaitan for a science experiment to reanimate the eye. There were so many ways for that idea to go wrong and it nearly did.

@norbes.3620 said:Well thats pretty much why Canach dislikes the Firstborn in the first placeThey are THE firstborn and the rest is JUST SylvariThankfully then, Canach only has eight to deal with now.

• 10 months later...

I'm going to chip in on this conversation. First, to put this to rest, if you go through the dialog listed in the wiki through the personal story and interactions with Trahearne, there is 0, ZERO, implication that he accepts or takes credit for victories. At the very least, credit is always centered on the PC, on DE, or the various Pact members involved in sieging Orr. So it is incorrect to assume that Trahearne ever takes the spotlight from the accomplishment of the PC. His role in the matter was to organize the three factions, develop plans of attack with the seated leading parties of each factions, and issue duties. The same as any LT or Commander would do in the US military.

Think of it this way. You, the PC, are a Command Sergeant Major, an NCO. You personally oversee the rest of the soldiers, and lead them. Trahearne is a Colonel, a CO. That is the hierarchy. He devises plans of attack, does the paperwork, and entrusts YOU with the undertaking of missions. And factoring in that it was critical to have an impartial leader, meaning not from one particular group but having worked with them all in the past, Trahearne was a choice candidate. It's not that he wanted the role, he really didn't, but necessity over ruled and he took the mantle. Not only that, he did harbor some of the most intricate knowledge of Orr, making him the expert in that matter. So you have to ask yourself, would you rather have this turn into Age of Empires with you sending out the troops, or was it better that you personally lead in all the missions?

This game allows the PC to undertake the challenges of retaking Orr and defeating Zhaitan. You are also entrusted in protecting him while he uses Caladbolg to cleanse Orr, officially completing his wyld hunt. You, the PC, are the important and critical factor towards success, which was never overshadowed.

So no, the personal story never deviates from herialding you as the main focus. As the Hero.

This is also an MMORPG. Not a single player rpg that revolves entirely around the PC. There are other characters that need to be recognized as they will be ingrained in the history of Tyria.

As for his death.... it was one of the most heartbreaking story telling in the game, second to Aurene's "death". He was not only a leader but a friend, physically mutilated and mentally being broken by Mordy, using the last bit of willpower left to help save everyone, and knowing he wouldn't survive. And then, we are forced to kill him. You know, if you're not one of those who for some reason despise his character, you can appreciate how painful the story was supposed to be.

As for the Mary Sue definition, people also have that wrong. If you want to see the definition of Mary Sue, you merely have to watch the City of Bones series. Trahearne's wyld hunt sent him to Orr, where he adopted necromantic abilities to counter the Risen. I'd assume he'd been there for at least 20 years studying. In those years, he failed to complete his quest. He's also respected among the Orders due to providing information, his knowledge. Not that he some how saved each one. When given Caladbolg, it was the KEY to cleanse Orr, and complete his quest. A tool. It didn't grant him particular favors or powers other than 'Do your job'. He's chosen to Lead the Pact due to being impartial, as I stated before. The PC, on the other hand, had chosen a faction and would have been a poor choice due to favoritism. He often voices his doubts about himself, and the lack of self-assurance is mirrored in other characters as well. It brings the characters down to earth and relatable to many. And, at the very end of the day, he didn't have a hand in defeating Zhaitan, and well as only providing us the means to defeat Mordremoth. He wasn't a savior, or hailed as a Hero. And by definition, was never a Mary Sue. A Mary Sue carries a connotation of wish-fulfillment, and is commonly associated with self-insertion, though the characterization of upstaging the established protagonist remains fundamental.

I think it would have been better, story wise, to have introduced his character earlier on with each race. Prior to joining an order. This is only an option if you play a Sylvari unfortunately. We get to meet Caithe and the rest of Destiny's edge early on, so why not this pivotal character? I never did understand that decision. And, after his death, he's more of just an afterthought until we're asked to rebuild Caladbolg.

So those who hated his character because of 'muh limelight', it's both misdirected due to misunderstanding how an MMORPG story should be made, and not paying attention to the story and dialogue itself. The character was never flat, but the story should have implemented him better than it did early on.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:Trahearne praised the PC all the time. I did not get the hate.

Did Claw Island with a new character last night. Yeah, Trahearne talks a lot. And then it hit me:

he is extremely lonely. He talks a lot because the PC is the only one listening and he has to get a lot of stuff off his chest.

Poor guy. He was always nice, he always praised and lauded the PC. When he was not sure what to do, he asked the experts: that is extremely good leadership.

And all he got was hatred :/

Valid point. Look at any introvert (myself included) and get them talking to a person they feel comfortable with about a subject they care for? We can talk for hours.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

"The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing"

Trahearne is... a skilled scholar with knowledge on the Risen and Zhaitan *formed from years of study on them, and traveling to Orr several times), and a pretty good necromancer (formed from years of practice as he is a firstborn).

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:His "flaws" come off less as actual character flaws and more like minor things in a vain attempt to make us feel sorry for the character, it isn't until HoT that they have him fail so they could get rid of the failed character he was. He's shown to do plenty of things that other characters in the setting can't, too. Both of these are Mary Sue traits. The lack of any real personality or being shallow as a character is also a trait, but it's clear you won't accept anything below "literally invincible and godlike" as a Mary Sue despite it having more of a range than that.

What things does he do that other characters can't?

Summon lots of minions? Oh you mean the thing we explicit see a random necromancer do in an event (summons 3-5 flesh golems at once, who talk, and promptly resummons any that die?)? The thing that is also explicitly a gameplay related limitation on the player, for balance reasons? (there is no information implying that this feat is unique to these two necromancers, Trahearne and the human, and that the limit is merely a balance thing placed on players. Have you see Gw1 minion masters who could field armies of 30-40 minions at once?)

@"Moonyeti.3296" said:I agree completely about Braham, It felt very un norn like to mourn that way. I heard a lot of people say "he is a teen that lost his mother, it makes sense" but that would be true if he were a human, or not already established as being pretty typical norn as far as cultural values. To me, as a norn he was disrespecting his mother's legend by acting that way. Anet goes out of their way to say that Norn are not just big humans, but they constantly ignore Norn specific culture and just go for cliche, relatable writing, making them come off as essentially just big humans.

About Braham: I love how people act as if the commander - Braham interactions are wrong and "not like norn" And then promptly forget we are telling a teenager (19 about to be 20ish) who has never adventured before his home was destroyed (his crush literally turns him down and goes with a merchant for the mere fact the merchant has actually explored and wandered the world, while Braham never left Craigstead), and when he was just reconnecting with his mom, his mom died, and who literally holds an item that can make his legend immortal, to turn around and go home and stop.

"Yes, let's tell the grieving Norn who NOBODY supported and helped grieve (Literally, Rox went to try to find Garm, everybody else went and did their own things until the funeral. Nobody ever talked to or hung out with Braham after we left the jungle), to give up this scroll that can crack the tooth of Jormag, making his legend (and by extension, his mother's) legend completely immortal, And possibly lift up every Norn's morale incredibly by news of the tooth being cracked, to just give up and go home because we said so."

"Wait, he reacted badly? WHY?"

I saw Braham's reactions as being quite normal for a Norn. He's A: Never really adventured until joining the commander. B: Always hated his mom for leaving, then later felt smothered in the shadow of her deeds. C: As soon as he reconnected with her, she died. D: Found an artifact that could secure his legacy for all time, and also honor his mother's mission to rid the world of the elder dragons. E: Was promptly told by the commander to F off and come back home, instead of using the artifact. Said commander who promptly after the dragon died and everybody came home, disappeared from his life until the funeral date.

@DiscordOfSound.2190 said:I'm going to chip in on this conversation. First, to put this to rest, if you go through the dialog listed in the wiki through the personal story and interactions with Trahearne, there is 0, ZERO, implication that he accepts or takes credit for victories. At the very least, credit is always centered on the PC, on DE, or the various Pact members involved in sieging Orr. So it is incorrect to assume that Trahearne ever takes the spotlight from the accomplishment of the PC. His role in the matter was to organize the three factions, develop plans of attack with the seated leading parties of each factions, and issue duties. The same as any LT or Commander would do in the US military.

Think of it this way. You, the PC, are a Command Sergeant Major, an NCO. You personally oversee the rest of the soldiers, and lead them. Trahearne is a Colonel, a CO. That is the hierarchy. He devises plans of attack, does the paperwork, and entrusts YOU with the undertaking of missions. And factoring in that it was critical to have an impartial leader, meaning not from one particular group but having worked with them all in the past, Trahearne was a choice candidate. It's not that he wanted the role, he really didn't, but necessity over ruled and he took the mantle. Not only that, he did harbor some of the most intricate knowledge of Orr, making him the expert in that matter. So you have to ask yourself, would you rather have this turn into Age of Empires with you sending out the troops, or was it better that you personally lead in all the missions?

I think he takes credit in one case, which was when a risen mesmer had basically discredited him and the commander in some manner. And even then he literally says he's taking credit purely because he has to in order to keep the Pact together.

trahearne handled the politics and paperwork, and trusted the commander to handle 100% of the field work alongside the Pact.

I am sorry for Trahearne as well. The studio's treatment of him was bizarre fan service, pandering to a vocal group enraged by his mote of Mary Sue and enraptured by their own plank of Mary Sue. The Trahearne effect likely destroyed the studio's confidence in the PC narrator and increased their willingness to use narrative tricks. Why bother with the difficult process of emergent characterization of Tyria and its people when you can just blow smoke up our butts instead? Spotlight divas have hobbled the writers. Want to experience a NPC's character development first hand by embodying the NPC instead of through exposition? Sorry, that would mean moving the spotlight. Want more than one or two dimensions for an NPC? Sorry, that would mean moving the spotlight.

The studio deserves criticism of its writing. They covered over Trahearne's death and the hole it left in the Pact with a joke about pushing paper. However, the fact they are willing to feed the Mary Sue beast doesn't change the fact that too many fans are Mary Sue monsters.

@"Psientist.6437" said:I am sorry for Trahearne as well. The studio's treatment of him was bizarre fan service, pandering to a vocal group enraged by his mote of Mary Sue and enraptured by their own plank of Mary Sue. The Trahearne effect likely destroyed the studio's confidence in the PC narrator and increased their willingness to use narrative tricks. Why bother with the difficult process of emergent characterization of Tyria and its people when you can just blow smoke up our butts instead? Spotlight divas have hobbled the writers. Want to experience a NPC's character development first hand by embodying the NPC instead of through exposition? Sorry, that would mean moving the spotlight. Want more than one or two dimensions for an NPC? Sorry, that would mean moving the spotlight.

The studio deserves criticism of its writing. They covered over Trahearne's death and the hole it left in the Pact with a joke about pushing paper. However, the fact they are willing to feed the Mary Sue beast doesn't change the fact that too many fans are Mary Sue monsters.

Lol, I once commented back when Silverwastes just came out about something similar. How the comments npcs made felt too much like appeasing "BUT MY SPOTLIGHT AND CREDIT!" whiners.

Like when Zojjia declares you as the single best fighter of Destiny's Edge + commander.

• 6 months later...

@Oglaf.1074 said:No it is irrelevant because I’ve no issues with “a boss” character and have said nothing of the sort. See for example the Pact Mentor characters (Forgal, Tybalt and the third one) - perfectly fine characters all of them. The issue is that Tree Jebus shouldn’t have been written like that in the first place.

Warmaster Forgal Kernnson, Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw, and Magister Sieran.

Just so you know. I also know that i am late for this article.

Btw, for anyone who isn't familar, Trahearne pre-HoT is not the same as Trahearne post-HoT, and this is why some older players are confused by replies of "but he didn't constantly take the spotlight, and complimented the player often."

When his voice actor returned for HoT, they had him re-record alot of lines from the Personal Story that removed most of the Mary Sue aspects, and had him defer to the PC, as well as add in additional inspirational speeches towards the troops in general, like after The Battle for Fort Trinity, which used to just be silence and music. As a result, if you haven't played the Personal Story since the restoration update, you experienced a significantly different Trahearne than newer players have.

They even moved some of his lines to other NPCs. They didn't fix all of it, but they fixed alot of it.