MacBook Pro 16'' major performance issues

Hello everyone :)

Just a quick warning so you don't get disappointed like I did lol...Today I got the newest MBP 16'' (released ca. 3 weeks ago) with the following (relevant) specs:

Intel Core i7 9750H (6-core, 2.6 GHz)AMD Radeon Pro 5300M (4GB GDDR6)16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

I boot-camped 64-bit windows 10 and installed GW2 on it. I expected to be blown away by the performance (at least mid or mid-high) but all I got was a disappointment - the game is barely playable even on lowest settings. The problem are really nasty lag spikes, which happen on quick camera rotation; with "best-appearance" settings I get around 30 continuous fps, but moving the camera even slightly turns that into 2-5 fps for a few seconds = unplayable. With "autodetect" (somewhere in the middle) I get around 40-50 continuous fps, but during a spike it drops to 10-20 = barely playable. With "best performance" I can reach 100 fps, dropping to 30-40 (rarely 15-20) by rapid screen movement. I'm using the native resolution 3072x1920, changing it doesn't seem to affect the spikes and overall fps. The GPU used is the 5300M and not the integrated Intel HD Graphics.I tried messing around with the Radeon GPU Settings, doesn't help anything. Overheating can't be the reason, even with best appearance I get a maximum hot-spot of 82°C GPU/75°C CPU.Since I have seen YT Videos of ppl playing GW2 on older (2016-18) 15'' MBPs with medium details getting steady 60-70 fps, I don't really understand how is this possible. The GPU should be equivalent/better than a standard GTX 1650, with i7 it should be more than enough to solidly run the game. Do you think this is a matter of the laptop or the game? Could this eventually get patched in the future?Right now I'm installing the Mac OS Client, looking forward what happens then...but I don't expect much.

Fun-fact: prior to buying a MacBook I tried a Dell XPS 15. Since the CPU fan was faulty (friction-noise), I got a replacement, however the replacement had a defect chassis (crooked, the whole thing wobbled when I put my hand on it), so I returned that as well. Guess what - the 3rd one had a defect arrow key (jumping out when pressed repeatedly), so I got a 4th replacement. This suffered from a coil whine - I couldn't even study next to it because I kept losing concentration. So I decided to buy a "real notebook"...And this is how it ended :D Now everything is perfect but I can't play GW2...

@KrHome.1920 said:You may suffer the AMD Navi related framedrops which were fixed in the driver version 19.12.1 (for windows at least).

Did not fix it for GW2 at least. Still had stuttering in 1440p on a 5700XT with that version.As mentioned in the other thread, d912pxy fixed it for me.Additionally do not forget that the 5500 GPU in the new Macbook is currently Apple only, it might not be officially supported properly yet running Windows.

But the pictures from MacOS look nasty. I wonder what the Mac client uses as API. OpenGL is deprecated on the Mac, and Metal seems to be to closeto the Metal to work well in this case seems.

@Joe Farmer.2063 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:You may suffer the AMD Navi related framedrops which were fixed in the driver version 19.12.1 (for windows at least).

Did not fix it for GW2 at least. Still had stuttering in 1440p on a 5700XT with that version.As mentioned in the other thread, d912pxy fixed it for me.Additionally do not forget that the 5500 GPU in the new Macbook is currently Apple only, it might not be officially supported properly yet running Windows.

But the pictures from MacOS look nasty. I wonder what the Mac client uses as API. OpenGL is deprecated on the Mac, and Metal seems to be to closeto the Metal to work well in this case seems.

Yeeeeeeees!!! That fixed it (d912pxy)! Highest settings are now continuous 40-50 fps, without even traces of lags. Even the overall temperature got a bit improved...75°C GPU is the absolute maximum I can reach. The game looks amazing!Thanks a milion!!Regarding the Mac Client, I submitted a ticket for it...We'll see.@ProtoGunner.4953 A GW2 mesmer gamer loves to shatter his illusions using the touchbar <3

• 2 weeks later...

@"Joe Farmer.2063" said:But the pictures from MacOS look nasty. I wonder what the Mac client uses as API. OpenGL is deprecated on the Mac, and Metal seems to be to closeto the Metal to work well in this case seems.

The scrambled graphics issue is new as of Catalina and happens in fullscreen mode, but not in windowed mode. I've got the same issue and have submitted a ticket about it as well.

GW2 is still using OpenGL on macOS. OpenGL was "deprecated" as of 10.14, but it's not yet "removed". Apple has a two step process for removing an API: first they mark it as "deprecated", where it's still available but no longer supported and shouldn't be used, then they remove it completely in a future version. The clock is ticking for ArenaNet... I wouldn't be surprised if next year's macOS 10.16 is when OpenGL is dropped completely (Adobe just finished removing all OpenGL/OpenCL code from Creative Cloud apps...).

@sunrun.4521 said:The scrambled graphics issue is new as of Catalina and happens in fullscreen mode, but not in windowed mode. I've got the same issue and have submitted a ticket about it as well.

Update! After following their troubleshooting steps, they finally suggested reinstalling completely, which I must admit I thought was going to be pointless. But, I did it, and now the graphics are working in full screen mode! So a complete reinstall did fix it for me.

• 1 month later...

@sunrun.4521 said:

@sunrun.4521 said:The scrambled graphics issue is new as of Catalina and happens in fullscreen mode, but not in windowed mode. I've got the same issue and have submitted a ticket about it as well.

Update! After following their troubleshooting steps, they finally suggested reinstalling completely, which I must admit I thought was going to be pointless. But, I did it, and now the graphics are working in full screen mode! So a complete reinstall did fix it for me.

Were you able to run the game on OSX? I get around 20 fps idle and down to single digits when turning camera on pretty much lowest settings (1440*900). It's a 2019 MBP15 so I expected much better. Any help is appreciated, this has been bugging for quite a while now

Model Name: MacBook ProModel Type: 15-inch, 2019Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7 CPU 9750HProcessor Model: Coffee LakeProcessor Speed: 2.6 GHzNumber of Processors: 1Total Number of Cores: 6Memory Size: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4Graphics Model: Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

@AchillesHeel.9210 said:Were you able to run the game on OSX? I get around 20 fps idle and down to single digits when turning camera on pretty much lowest settings (1440*900). It's a 2019 MBP15 so I expected much better. Any help is appreciated, this has been bugging for quite a while now

Have you tried d912pxy? 555X seems rather weak, so I wouldn't expect much overall, but crippling dips while turning aren't of course normal. Sounds like the OP had similar problem, and d912pxy helped them. (And the person you quoted say right there in their post reinstalling the game fixed their issue.)

@tatte.5389 said:

@"AchillesHeel.9210" said:Were you able to run the game on OSX? I get around 20 fps idle and down to single digits when turning camera on pretty much lowest settings (1440*900). It's a 2019 MBP15 so I expected much better. Any help is appreciated, this has been bugging for quite a while now

Have you tried d912pxy? 555X seems rather weak, so I wouldn't expect much overall, but crippling dips while turning aren't of course normal. Sounds like the OP had similar problem, and d912pxy helped them. (And the person you quoted say right there in their post reinstalling the game fixed their issue.)

Thanks for the reply, but you might not have noticed i said in the beginning "run the game on osx"

@AchillesHeel.9210 said:

@AchillesHeel.9210 said:Were you able to run the game on OSX? I get around 20 fps idle and down to single digits when turning camera on pretty much lowest settings (1440*900). It's a 2019 MBP15 so I expected much better. Any help is appreciated, this has been bugging for quite a while now

Thanks for the reply, but you might not have noticed i said in the beginning "run the game on osx"

Ah, sorry. To answer your question then, yes, they were able to run the game on macOS. :tongue: