Do gems ever go on sale?

Gem exchange prices are based upon how many people are buying gold with real money versus gems with in-game gold, so they do "go on sale" if you're buying with gold if lots of people are spending money, but they never go on sale if you're the one spending money.

Money is the guaranteed way to get a set amount of gems, and gold is the risky, and potentially more oppertunistic way.

Let me give you an example, a friend of mine waited until shared slots went on sale, which caused the gem market to crash from everyone buying them with money, and then spent a decent amount of gold to max out her shared slots all in one go, benefitting both from the market crash and from the item itself being on sale, and as a result, was able to buy something absurdly expensive for relatively nothing.

Money x Item not on sale = No savings, no risk (as long as the item is in circulation)Money x Item on sale = Medium savings, medium risk (mostly relying on the item being in circulation and on sale)Gold x Item on sale = High savings, high risk (needs farming, item in circulation, item on sale and enough purchases to lower exchange rates)

EDIT: Made some clarifications to my wording.