Fishing: How would you all like this to work? [Merged]

@Regh.8649 said:Make it more of a collection, from common to rare fishes. I, sometimes spend time idling while having a conversation with guildies and friends, so I would love to visit that giant lobster seaport in LA and be there for a while. Worrying about bots is a lazy excuse to post about something you clearly don't care, and wouldn´t in anyway bother you in any aspect of your game experience.

You remind me, we also have 1 collection that involves fishing in game already. For Sun's Refuge (Jahai Bluffs map). Only once the collection is done you can't fish there anymore.

@MikeG.6389 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:I'd rather they didn't add it at all. It will just get botted into oblivion, like every other game with fishing.

IF you make the loot sufficiently crappy the bots won't bother ;)

And than it would be even less boring and much more productive to watch paint dry.

but isn't that what fishing is meant to be?

it's supposed to be a relaxing break from other stuff not as a great money maker

@kharmin.7683 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:it would be a feature needed to add more immersion, GW2 severely lacks any kind of immersion and fishing is just the tip of the iceberg of what they need to add.

How would it add immersion?

anything that slows players down from the rush Anet pushed us too is a good addition for immersion, it also is quite a strange question to ask how fishing (and allot of other things) is not immersive.the question is more, how is it not immersive?

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:it would be a feature needed to add more immersion, GW2 severely lacks any kind of immersion and fishing is just the tip of the iceberg of what they need to add.

anything that slows players down from the rush Anet pushed us too is a good addition for immersion, it also is quite a strange question to ask how fishing (and allot of other things) is not immersive.the question is more, how is it not immersive?

Anything that removes players from the experience detracts from immersion. Random do-nothing activities remove the players from the experience. What you're asking for is the opposite of immersion.

@Trise.2865 said:

Anything that removes players from the experience detracts from immersion. Random do-nothing activities remove the players from the experience. What you're asking for is the opposite of immersion.

The character is the main hero of the game. The character is out to save the world. Why would he/she be fishing? To me, that would break immersion.

@kharmin.7683 said:

The character is the main hero of the game. The character is out to save the world. Why would he/she be fishing? To me, that would break immersion.

Well, MY commander does it to keep his sanity among all the mulch he has to deal with. He actually does other things too, like perfecting his kitchen-fu, training sylvan pups, goofing around with his skyscale and some purely head-cannon stuff :)

If fishing is added it has to be done RIGHT. Don't make it a gimmicky minigame where you time something or whatever. Toss your bait in, and pull when you get a tug (can be different tugs). Quick and to the point. Make group instance fishing with lots of players. Ships that go out every 2 hours like meta events. Rewards scale with player amount in case content dies. Good farm for personal income and value. Different lures for different fish (some fish share lures) and depending on where the boat is moving around the fish change. Lots of conditions would be in place to spawn rare fish. Maybe RNG at times.

You have basic fish and rare fish. Basic fish can be used in cooking, as well as some rare fish. Other rare fish can be broken down by a special permanent salvage kit to amass items, some rare themselves.

There is no level for fishing, you just, well, fish! And multiple locations would exist too.

@kharmin.7683 said:

and YOU don't have to use it, doesn't mean others can't enjoy fishing.also, with your logic all characters are dead cyborgs that just fight and nothing else.

@sorudo.9054 said:

and YOU don't have to use it, doesn't mean others can't enjoy fishing.True, but I believe that most of those who are opposed to this idea don't want resources spent on it that could be spent instead on making improvements to the game which would benefit a larger portion of the player base than those who want fishing.

@"kharmin.7683" said:

True, but I believe that most of those who are opposed to this idea don't want resources spent on it that could be spent instead on making improvements to the game which would benefit a larger portion of the player base than those who want fishing.

Yup, but even those opposing this (or any other) idea won't really be able to agree on what the right kind of improvements are, as this is quite subjective. Why would my/your/whosever game preferences be less important than someone else's? And whose are the "right right" preferences that are really worth the resources spent? Lately, I have come to dislike this argument quite a lot. It gets overused by all sides.

@kharmin.7683 said:

and YOU don't have to use it, doesn't mean others can't enjoy fishing.True, but I believe that most of those who are opposed to this idea don't want resources spent on it that could be spent instead on making improvements to the game which would benefit a larger portion of the player base than those who want fishing.

PvP is oone of the the smallest portion of the game yet it got a huge patch last thuesday, what i want and what you want are completely different but no less improtant.

@sorudo.9054 said:

PvP is oone of the the smallest portion of the game yet it got a huge patch last thuesday, what i want and what you want are completely different but no less improtant.

PvP is also a mode that was available pretty much on release. It makes sense to work on part of the game that has been around since then rather than spend resources on a mode/system that doesn't yet exist. I'd argue that whether or not you or I believe something is important is not relevant -- it's what the Anet deems important since they're the ones who have to answer to their shareholders.