Updates for Brand-New Players

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi everyone,

We’re testing some improvements to the first steps adventurers take in the world of Tyria. Simple achievements are now available in the early levels to guide new players toward activities they might find interesting and award useful items and AP.

If you’re a mentor and players are asking for help in the starting zone, lend a hand! The achievements are available to veteran players as well and can be found in your achievement panel.

ETA: We are extremely excited about this update! So much so that we got a little ahead of ourselves and told you about it early. This will actually be coming to the game beginning February 25th, so consider this advance notice to get your welcoming parties ready!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second the notion for CC tutorial, I didn't figure that out until I was in the bosses at the end of HoT (which I played after PoF).

I feel it'd take the stress off players, new and old, so no one has to yell 'cc cc gogogogo,' and then no one has to ask what that means, while they wait for a response mid-boss.

That's great to hear. Hopefully they will help. In the same breath, would you consider turning the story back into its original format? I.e. a quest every 2-3 levels or so, instead of batches of 10. A lot of new players used the fact there's always a quest marker for guidance and it helped them a lot as it led them into level-appropriate areas, along with keeping a clear goal in front of them. It was probably one of the most common complaints friends of mine voiced when I got them to try this game

@Randulf.7614 said:These are live now?

I can't find them if they are. Some clarification if they're here or coming would be good, and what the section is called. I'm interested to see how they plan to point new players to that area specifically, since I'm guessing by the time most new players find the achievement tab and take the time to see what's on each dropdown they would long since have passed the point where basic (at least what I'm thinking of as basic) achievements would be helpful.

@NovaanVerdiano.6174 said:That's great to hear. Hopefully they will help. In the same breath, would you consider turning the story back into its original format? I.e. a quest every 2-3 levels or so, instead of batches of 10. A lot of new players used the fact there's always a quest marker for guidance and it helped them a lot as it led them into level-appropriate areas, along with keeping a clear goal in front of them. It was probably one of the most common complaints friends of mine voiced when I got them to try this game

but one of the reasons for the current version is because the old system was leading people to inappropriate places ...

I can't wait for the changes but hopefully it doesn't cause such a major "paradigm shift" that it disrupts gameplay for more than a couple of weeks before people get used to the changes.

There are alot of changes in there which will significantly alter how people approach content so idk if the game might straight up see a horde of people quitting due to the unpleasant sudden shift in gameplay.

Could you also add collection achievements for every weapon set and armor set in the game that doesn't yet have a collection? It would increase the value of a lot of gear drops and encourage collection. Brand-new players are the ones picking up the most new skin unlocks, so it would add a lot of value to the core game.