Updates for Brand-New Players

@"Yasai.3549" said:I can't wait for the changes but hopefully it doesn't cause such a major "paradigm shift" that it disrupts gameplay for more than a couple of weeks before people get used to the changes.

There are alot of changes in there which will significantly alter how people approach content so idk if the game might straight up see a horde of people quitting due to the unpleasant sudden shift in gameplay.

You have information on the upcoming New Player (Experience) changes? Could you post them?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you look into pop-ups notifications for new players please? Talking about Core Tyria Mastery Points here.

My friend began his journey with GW2 not so long ago, hit level 80, and was almost going to drop the game because he was bombared with "spend your mastery points" pop-ups, while having his Mastery Page LOCKED. He was unable to spend points he gathered by doing personal story, and yet the game notified him about it permanently.

Only solution given online is to start Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire story, that unlocks Mastery panel, which we both found ridiculous, given that he didn't even complete his Personal Story yet.

Please, consider either A) adding a toggle to completely remove pop-up windows, B.) lower their frequency (once per session?), or C) fix the Mastery panel, so that it doesn't inform about points, that new players are unable to spend. Thank you.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You have information on the upcoming New Player (Experience) changes? Could you post them?

Check out the Global Patchnotes on Professions subforum.There are many many significant changes which will majorly impact gameplay.(one example is removal of Empty Vessel, leaving Ventari with NO stunbreak which will cause Rev healers in all content extremely vulnerable to being CC'd)

A suggestion, can we get something like a commander tag for people who need help on the map. So if we need help, we can put up this tag and other players can see on the map that I would need help with something, mouse over us to see what help we need with and join our party if they are interested to help :)

Thank you

@Yasai.3549 said:

Check out the Global Patchnotes on Professions subforum.There are many many significant changes which will majorly impact gameplay.(one example is removal of Empty Vessel, leaving Ventari with NO stunbreak which will cause Rev healers in all content extremely vulnerable to being CC'd)

That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. (Simple Achievements for new players.)

@WyvrnRipsnarl.5918 said:Can we have a CC Tutorial, pretty please?

Yes please. When you get to where you are doing world bosses with break bars, having players who join the event but do not participate in breakbars is frustrating because all these players do is scale up how much CC is needed to get through the break bar without contributing.A lot of players don't use the wiki, or forums, or any other source of information available currently. you have to put the information in front of their face and force them to learn it before they can continue or they will not learn it.

a Breakbar tutorial is needed, add single player "story" modes to dungeons since they tie into the Personal Story (currently their levels are off from the personal story as well), fix the personal story bugs (there are still so so many) this will help new players have a bit better experience in the 1-80 experience

Aside from the CC tutorial that everyone needs, I think we also need some synergy training as well. Combo fields and finishers. Traits affecting skills or each other. These new achievements should pop up somewhere in the leveling experience. For example, right as a character (or first character on an account) reaches the level to invest in traits, they should have the achievement eligibility icon above their utility skills. That eligibility icon should be clickable for more information, and in this case, proper explanation. "Select a trait that improves an equipped skill." And possibly give an early available example for every profession.

The CC tutorial is probably best done in Personal Story instances. Maybe learning it throughout the Orders of Tyria instances, with the final boss of that string of episodes needing a break-bar breaking to be beatable.

@"Yasai.3549" said:I can't wait for the changes but hopefully it doesn't cause such a major "paradigm shift" that it disrupts gameplay for more than a couple of weeks before people get used to the changes.

There are alot of changes in there which will significantly alter how people approach content so idk if the game might straight up see a horde of people quitting due to the unpleasant sudden shift in gameplay.

What are you talking about?

I remember there used to be achievements way back when the game launched for viewing in-game hints. You’d get AP for viewing all the hints for doing stuff like reviving downed players, using waypoints, etc. It was removed from the game in the original “new player experience” in September 2014... I wonder if it’s going to be something like that, but better? It sounds like it, anyway. :) Hope it’s successful and it doesn’t stop at just early levels — people can definitely benefit from this sort of thing from expansions too, what with level 80 boosts existing and all.

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:Hi everyone,

We’re testing some improvements to the first steps adventurers take in the world of Tyria......This will actually be coming to the game beginning February 25th, so consider this advance notice to get your welcoming parties ready!

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:

@Randulf.7614 said:These are live now?

I can't find them if they are. Some clarification if they're here or coming would be good, and what the section is called.

seriously? Nothing will guide people if those people ignore the guidance ...

Excellent, looking forward to this.

While at it, please consider a slight rework of the New Player Experience as far as availability of story missions goes.

Far back when NPE was implemented, story missions of the vanilla story were all clumped onto every 10 levels. Please consider reverting this change if possible to unlock story missions every few levels instead, as it was originally. The original system was a way better guide through zones, while the current one clumps the entire story bits into every 10 levels. The net result is: players turn level X0, rush the story, gain approximately 3 levels, then have to rely on events and other things to get the remaining 7 levels.

This is a minor issue for veteran players, but would certainly affect new players who are not seeing new story parts for multiple levels, sometimes completely losing track of where to go and what has happened.

@bynkowski.9046 said:

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:Hi everyone,

We’re testing some improvements to the first steps adventurers take in the world of Tyria......This will actually be coming to the game beginning February 25th, so consider this advance notice to get your welcoming parties ready!

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:

@Randulf.7614 said:These are live now?

I can't find them if they are. Some clarification if they're here or coming would be good, and what the section is called.

seriously? Nothing will guide people if those people ignore the guidance ...

The date in the op was added later after the person you commented asked the question

Another vote for "please ditch the 10-level-lock for story"--going through the first couple of times I really enjoyed the challenge of seeing whether I could succeed at a story mission despite technically being underleveled, much in the same way that exploring maps a bit above my current level can be fun. I can actually pinpoint the NPE change as why on all characters post-NPE I didn't bother to continue the main story, and just leveled to 80 instead, entirely skipping the rest of the story. Having to wait because I don't have the expertise/gear to succeed is fine. Having to wait because someone else thinks the story section should be a 3/10 difficulty to play it, with a near guaranteed success rate, leaves me as a player feeling patronized.

@Cyninja.2954 said:certainly affect new players who are not seeing new story parts for multiple levels, sometimes completely losing track of where to go and what has happened.

Very much this!

I still remember levelling my first toon, and feeling this way. As the Core personal story isn't necessarily in sync with the story of any given map, you find yourself pulled in two directions at once, and either you cease to focus on the core plot of Core Tyria, or you ignore the story of the local map and just focus on XP gain to get you to the next story mission.

@crepuscular.9047 said:hmmm... smells like a bait to get vets going back to old maps, will see how long it lasts

I hope it reverts back the starter experience back to the original what GW2 launch offered, and make dungeon story mode mandatory

yes, player freedom is good, but too much confuses people because they dont know what to do

This. Goes a long way to guide people through the experience. Might bring back veterans who actually like dungeons help newer players and in turn maybe teaching them things about the game lol. There should be more ways to ramp people up into other forms of content in the game.

I always thought the NPE changes were weird because there was no tutorials or anything to guide people along at the start. Just do whatever doesn't exactly bolster confidence in most people starting a game in my experience.