Updates for Brand-New Players

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:But to dispel my fears here:

New players will still get to massage corn crops and dance in front of cows? (queensday heart).Cause it's been few years since these poor crops were watered against their will and cows stopped getting fed so they can finally lose weight and feel fit!

laughs Well said.

It sounds like this is just the addition of some minimal achievements to introduce the concept, but I would love them to bring back the richness of the starting zones with bundle training (the original use of the cow feeding), golem chess, and, yes, trading post NPCs available outside the cities near the gates.

@Lothwyn.9863 said:A suggestion, can we get something like a commander tag for people who need help on the map. So if we need help, we can put up this tag and other players can see on the map that I would need help with something, mouse over us to see what help we need with and join our party if they are interested to help :)

Thank you

You could use the mentor tag and just announce in map that you need help at on the Apple. Although a Lemon tag would be a pretty neat addition.

New player here (2.5 months) - Played a few other MMOs pretty seriously, but got burned out from toxicity/grinding and finally tried out GW2. Within a week of trying it out F2P, I'd been convinced enough to buy HoT/PoF. After hitting 80 and doing World bosses/Dungeons/Verdant Brink, I bought Living World Seasons 3 & 4 too.

Just wanted to say this game is awesome and so is the community. Been running the HoT meta events and some T1 Fractals lately and it's been a super-positive experience. So many squad leaders/mentors and pug groups with patience for new players like myself, providing guidance through all kinds of amazing content (Mouth of Mordremoth, wow!). I've heard WvW can be a little more intense, but I'll be jumping into that next week when the patch/XP bonus hits.

So thank you Anet and GW2 community - Guild Wars 2 is still an incredible experience for a new player in 2020. QoL changes such as these are icing on the cake, but very much appreciated!

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:Hi everyone,

We’re testing some improvements to the first steps adventurers take in the world of Tyria. Simple achievements are now available in the early levels to guide new players toward activities they might find interesting and award useful items and AP.

If you’re a mentor and players are asking for help in the starting zone, lend a hand! The achievements are available to veteran players as well and can be found in your achievement panel.

ETA: We are extremely excited about this update! So much so that we got a little ahead of ourselves and told you about it early. This will actually be coming to the game beginning February 25th, so consider this advance notice to get your welcoming parties ready!

The game should definitely teach new players about the importance of the CC defiance bar.

@"Andovar Edoras.2143" said:

The game should definitely teach new players about the importance of the CC defiance bar.I get this, but at what point for a "new player" because this mechanic isn't on any of the starter zone critters. I think that it would be better served to have something to teach players about the defiance bar when they are closer in level/story to that mechanic; otherwise, they may forget about it if it is presented too early?

I was just thinking: I do a key farm every week. But, that's not the kind of early-game playing you want to assist.

Give me (as a vet) something to entice me to play those weekly characters further into the story. Additionally, give me something that gets me to bring along new players.

These two things might have the added benefit of getting me to buy even more character slots. (And, along with that, more bag slots, etc.)

@kharmin.7683 said:

The game should definitely teach new players about the importance of the CC defiance bar.I get this, but at what point for a "new player" because this mechanic isn't on any of the starter zone critters.

Shadow Behemoth or any similar big bad in a starter zone would be the prefect spot for it.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

The game should definitely teach new players about the importance of the CC defiance bar.I get this, but at what point for a "new player" because this mechanic isn't on any of the starter zone critters.

Shadow Behemoth or any similar big bad in a starter zone would be the prefect spot for it.

Probably so, but I worry that it would be throwing too many things at new players that they would be overwhelmed with mechanics while trying to simply learn the game. I could see this in mid-tier zones (40+) though.

Definitely CC tutorial and how to use Combos (ie fire field->blast) should be a thing in the tutorial. It took me about a year after playing to figure out that combos were a thing in the game.

Also, there should be some setting in my account to stop getting these tutorials. Like every time I create a keyfarm toon I get the screen popups to WASD and other stuff... and please let me disable the tutorial dialog that pops up every time I start a PvP match, I think after 7 years, we already know! Just a simple checkbox "Do not show this again" would be enough for me.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@"YtseJam.9784" said:It took me about a year after playing to figure out that combos were a thing in the game.

Maybe because you can never see them with all of the floor circle spam and glowing stuff?

Nah I'm talking during the first year the game came out. It wasn't that "glowy". I just wans't aware until a guildie pointed it out. I always wondered why people said "fire" "fire" on voice while doing dungeons, so someone would blast it and gain might. :P