PvE Balance, does it really matter?

Agrippa.1693

PvE is largely in a pretty decent spot for the moment

Unless Anet suddenly refocuses like a laser beam on Raids and T4 fractals, you're not likely to ever be in a bad spot for not being in the top 5 dps builds

We still have strikes for the time being but they're easy enough that you should be able to find people who will let you play on any class you want assuming you at least put your best effort in

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Agrippa Oculus.3726" said:But I notice the major upcoming balance update (including several that came before) is (are) very much PvP and WvW focused (>90%), and PvE seems to be a bit forgotten in this area. So I'm wondering, if this is a thing that we should see more often, is balance in PvE (far) less important? Should it be? Does it matter at all, really? Your opinions please.

How can u say "PVE seems a little forgotten in this area". ?Are you kidding me?

This game litterally is focusing 90% of the resources into PvE (CLASS CHANGES,LIVING STORY,CONDI CHANGES,RAIDS) and in some cases when skills e/o some mechanics gets a rework cos "people FEELS like the dmg numbers in their (third party) DMG meter is kinda low compared to other professions",people playing in competitive modes get the end of stick.

And when there is O. N. E. balance patch focused mostly on wvw/spvp ,people feels like it seems "pve is a bit forgotten". you are trolling right?

You have no idea what part of this game is forgotten on life support. :3

What do u need to balance in GW2 PvE anyway?! :)

@Neural.1824 said:Balance is important in all 3 modes, but too convoluted due to things being tied together. The modes should never have shared balance properties.

I would argue that if monster AI wasn't so slow, and the pace of attacks more comparable with players (aka, closer to PvP), balance wouldn't need to deviate so much.But as it is, Confusion is just not a good PvE status, and many of the other debuffs don't work the same way on monsters as they do on player characters.

@ilMasa.2546 said:

@"Agrippa Oculus.3726" said:But I notice the major upcoming balance update (including several that came before) is (are) very much PvP and WvW focused (>90%), and PvE seems to be a bit forgotten in this area. So I'm wondering, if this is a thing that we should see more often, is balance in PvE (far) less important? Should it be? Does it matter at all, really? Your opinions please.

How can u say "
PVE seems a little forgotten in this area
". ?Are you kidding me?

This game litterally is focusing 90% of the resources into PvE (CLASS CHANGES,LIVING STORY,CONDI CHANGES,RAIDS) and in some cases when skills e/o some mechanics gets a rework cos "people
FEELS
like the dmg numbers in their (third party) DMG meter is kinda low compared to other professions",people playing in competitive modes get the end of stick.

And when there is
O. N. E. balance patch
focused mostly on wvw/spvp ,people feels like it seems "pve is a bit forgotten". you are trolling right?

You have no idea what part of this game is
forgotten
on life support. :3

Wow, I tink I struck a nerve here. I was
only
talking about the upcoming and latest
balance
updates here, which are undeniably PvP/WvW oriented and definitely not focused on PvE. It's just simple analysis ...Anyway, you have your opinion, just like others have theirs. Only asking the question here, nothing more, nothing less.

Balance and game design are 2 different things. The game, classes, skills etc. should have been designed with pvp and wvw as the main focus. Skills in pvp need to be fair and not overloaded with multiple effects, such as being able to do damage while avoiding damage yourself. Both pvp and pve gamemodes should be balanced. You can change dps/boon&healing numbers to make every class viable in pve, but you cant fix a poorly designed pvp system by changing skill coefficients/cooldowns.

In game 1 there were a series of PvE only skills which added functionality and flexibility.

Personally I think that PvE is easily the weakest area of this game as all the additions are in respect to the Living World tripe which is so painfully awful that I stopped playing for 18months. At the current rate I think I will just uninstall because frankly the whole thing is like an utter cesspool of fatuous and contemptible garbage. I genuinely believe that this game needs updates in the vein of ESO's thieves guild and dark brotherhood where it can truly abandon the holier-than-thou mentality shoved down our throats.

How I wish I could do this to Taimi, Brahams and the other self-righteous NPCs which you can't get rid of:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5022456/uploads/editor/ye/j2zhaaeixewm.png

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:But I notice the major upcoming balance update (including several that came before) is (are) very much PvP and WvW focused (>90%), and PvE seems to be a bit forgotten in this area. So I'm wondering, if this is a thing that we should see more often, is balance in PvE (far) less important? Should it be? Does it matter at all, really? Your opinions please.

How can u say "
". ?Are you kidding me?

This game litterally is focusing 90% of the resources into PvE (CLASS CHANGES,LIVING STORY,CONDI CHANGES,RAIDS) and in some cases when skills e/o some mechanics gets a rework cos "people
FEELS
like the dmg numbers in their (third party) DMG meter is kinda low compared to other professions",people playing in competitive modes get the end of stick.

And when there is
O. N. E. balance patch
focused mostly on wvw/spvp ,people feels like it seems "pve is a bit forgotten". you are trolling right?

forgotten

Wow, I tink I struck a nerve here.

Yes.As i said,in the last years,GW2 focused mostly on the PvE "part" of the game: new content,patches,reworks,changes...But unfortunately WvW and Spvp exist,aswell.I get it: me and you are on the opposite poles in this context.I mostly play WvW and judging by your comments history you are mostly focused on PvE stuff (benchmarking charts,raid rotations,raid meta consist of 2 classes,fractal meta,raid composition in Snowfall, thank god we have player that allow necromancer in end game content(LOL)...).

So the moment u complain on a SINGLE patch in a year,about being focused mostly on PvP modes: you are greedy.Can other game modes have some LOVE ONCE in years?!

On a side node,this proves what i said (about the " people FEELING like the dmg numbers in their (third party) DMG meter is kinda low compared to other professions " thingy):

• whos complaining about ONE patch focused on PvP?
  • who is feeling like PVE seems a little forgotten in this area?

a pve player (focused mostly on raid dmg meters,raid rotations,raid composition...) : like really?ONE patch in 2 years is not about pve content and pve players feel like that?Thats what strike a nerve lol

There are other 2 endgame activities beside PvE (Raids,Fractals whatever): WvW - Spvp.

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:I was only talking about the upcoming and latest balance updates here, which are undeniably PvP/WvW oriented and definitely not focused on PvE. It's just simple analysis ...

Thats the point. One balance patch.I wish we coult talk about others balance patches focused only on pvp:

! there arent that many (in 8 years)!@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:Anyway, you have your opinion, just like others have theirs. Only asking the question here, nothing more, nothing less.

Man,you are not asking questions,you are complaining about ONE patch not being pve related.

@ilMasa.2546 said:

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:But I notice the major upcoming balance update (including several that came before) is (are) very much PvP and WvW focused (>90%), and PvE seems to be a bit forgotten in this area. So I'm wondering, if this is a thing that we should see more often, is balance in PvE (far) less important? Should it be? Does it matter at all, really? Your opinions please.

How can u say "
". ?Are you kidding me?

FEELS

And when there is
O. N. E. balance patch

forgotten

Wow, I tink I struck a nerve here.

Yes.As i said,in the last years,GW2 focused mostly on the PvE "part" of the game: new content,patches,reworks,changes...But unfortunately WvW and Spvp exist,aswell.I get it: me and you are on the opposite poles in this context.I mostly play WvW and judging by your comments history you are mostly focused on PvE stuff (benchmarking charts,raid rotations,raid meta consist of 2 classes,fractal meta,raid composition in Snowfall, thank god we have player that allow necromancer in end game content(LOL)...).

So the moment u complain on a
SINGLE
patch in a year,about being focused mostly on PvP modes: you are greedy.Can other game modes have some
LOVE ONCE
in years?!

On a side node,this proves what i said (about the "
people FEELING like the dmg numbers in their (third party) DMG meter is kinda low compared to other professions
" thingy):
  • whos complaining about
    ONE
    patch focused on PvP?
  • who is feeling like
    PVE seems
    a little
    forgotten
    in this area?

a pve player (focused mostly on raid dmg meters,raid rotations,raid composition...) : like really?
ONE
patch in 2 years is not about pve content and pve players feel like that?Thats what strike a nerve lol

There are other 2 endgame activities beside PvE (Raids,Fractals whatever): WvW - Spvp.

only
talking about the upcoming and latest
balance
updates here, which are undeniably PvP/WvW oriented and definitely not focused on PvE. It's just simple analysis ...

Thats the point.
One
balance
patch.I wish we coult talk about others balance patches focused only on pvp:

! there arent that many (in 8 years)!@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:Anyway, you have your opinion, just like others have theirs. Only asking the question here, nothing more, nothing less.

Man,you are not asking questions,you are complaining about
ONE
patch not being pve related.

There's so much wrong about your reasoning in this post, it's beyond realistic. You judge me from posts on this forum, while if you really put some effort in your searching, you'd see I have quite some sPvP history ... but I can see real statistics don't matter to you ... judging from that frequently (bold) "ONE balance patch" phrase you use quite a lot! Which is factually faulty as hell! Lately EVERY balance patch is more PvP/WvW focused than PvE focused, which in my opinion is probably not even a bad thing (which you can actually read in some of my posts, but you probably accidentally skipped those, right?). And if you want to be really factual: there has literary NEVER been a balance patch that was >90% focused on PvE balance: and again: which might not even be a thing or shouldnt be a thing for that matter. hence my question does PvE balance really matter??? It really is a genuine question!

M8: i checked your most recent activities ...lets say around the 3-ish months mark.What do you want me to do: to look at your full comment histoy for 2 hours and loading "more comments" till i get to 2015? Sorry I dont care that much,maybe i struck a nerve aswell.

In 2019 there were 3 Balance Updates and they featured mostly :

• 3 major global (no splits between gamemodes) overhaul : berserker,scrapper,thief
  • global balance changes with few adjustments here and there between pve/pvp modes (actual splits).

So i dont get where this past PvP/WvW focus (you are referring to) is.

To answer your question: no.Because there is no reason to balance classes/profession in pve unless you have serious issues meaning :

• skills and/or traits NOT working at all or like they were supposed to
  • broken builds (ghost thief,as an example) soloing content they are not supposed to (solo Slothasor 2017)

If we are talking about general DMG inside a pve enviroment you want to tweak the mobbs or the mechanics of that specific encounter instead of starting a balancing process for all professions,utilities,abilities and weapon skills.

Look at what happened with conditions dmg: was "tuned" to make it a more compelling/viable alternative in the pve enviroment (maybe people felt conditions were little forgotten in the dmg area,idk maybe its not the case).And after that,condi DMG in pvp got way out of control.Its a total MESS,compared to how it was before that.Do u even need condi-cleanse in pve?

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:There's a huge balance patch coming up, which I look very much forward to, mostly because the sheer size of it and if more smaller patches would follow up later in a more regular fashion, I'm even more excited. My opinion is that balance in this game is very important and regularly updating it would hold my interest in this game a lot longer.

But I notice the major upcoming balance update (including several that came before) is (are) very much PvP and WvW focused (>90%), and PvE seems to be a bit forgotten in this area. So I'm wondering, if this is a thing that we should see more often, is balance in PvE (far) less important? Should it be? Does it matter at all, really? Your opinions please.None of these options, I think they need to focus on changing them one at a time, this gives them a better focus on what needs to be done to make the mmorpg more appealing and rewarding. Pve has had most of the attention for a while, however pve still has a little ways to go, it could certainly be more then what it is now.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Extreme damage is just as poisonous in PvE as it is in PvP/WvW, anyone who thinks otherwise just enjoys power trips of going into old content and defeating all enemies with a single attack so that no one else can get any credit (or have any fun, for that matter).

When you see people wearing white gear and unequipping their trinkets it tells you something, or should. There's seriously people in this game who think that Legendaries dying in 15 seconds in Orr and Silverwastes is okay.

In my opinion, the game has never been more "press 1 to win" than it is now.

PvE on core game maps was always a joke. The fact I beat the original core game in a combination of level 45-50ish greens that had little to no synergy and a only somewhat loose understanding of skill rotations should be fairly telling. I think I only tried to get exotic level gear once I started trying to play WvW way back when and even then I had a lot to learn (and thankfully had a good WvW community to aid in that).

@bluberblasen.9684 said:pve balance is one reason that wvw and pvp is not that great as they could be.

@Excursion.9752 said:

@bluberblasen.9684 said:pve balance is one reason that wvw and pvp is not that great as they could be.

Could not agree more.We all knew these types of threads were coming lol. How dare they take their eyes of the living world!

Thankfully they split most(not sure if they have any left that arent split.) of the skills, so now they can balance all the modes separately(something that alot of players wanted from the get go but ANET resisted.)