Blocking a player should prevent them from being on your team

EtherProdigy.5726

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

@choovanski.5462 said:so because you're frustrated with your teammate quality you want to make a block list of people who can't be on your team...man you must be living in opposite land or something, because usually the solution is to get a list of good players and invite them to be on your team. literally the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Hmmmmm

get a list of good players and invite them to be on your team

Hmm.

invite them to be on your team

Nah 0/10, premades are busted soloq only

On topic:

This is literally opening an avenue to match manipulation. It's a bad idea. The fact that its just a roundabout way of making a premade is just icing.

blocking bad players from being on your team instead of making a team is one of the funniest things I've seen on a forum in a long time.

it's also one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. could be bronze and just block everyone who isn't plat and then only get plat players on your team and get perma carry, and so on. the match manipulation would be insane.

@"EtherProdigy.5726" said:im not frustrated with teammate quality, im having games thrown and afkd by people who ive never even spoken to but have a personal vendetta against me, across multiple days.

you say you're not frustrated with teammate quality, but then go on to to complain about your teammates afking and throwing your games. uh, I think they are frustrating you dude.

ya trying to ban bad players from your team, c'mon. teammate quality is obviously a concern.

as for making a team being hard, its not. never has. just use basic social skills and whisper players you see play well in games, or msg your boys in discord. not hard.

but then again, this community:4312ba1bfd01b1ecc7261069951e6635461839e1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be constructive:

The OPs suggestion would work without exploit issues if the person that blocks another person would be moved to a lower position than the blocked player in the matchmaking queue, so that the blocking player - if he blocks too many people - won't find a game to join while everyone else is playing against each other.

But in general such an option would be problematic for one simple reason: the pvp population is small and the matchmaking times would further increase and we should ask ourself if it would be worth it (I think it would not).

@KrHome.1920 said:Let's be constructive:

The OPs suggestion would work without exploit issues if the person that blocks another person would be moved to a lower position than the blocked player in the matchmaking queue, so that the blocking player - if he blocks too many people - won't find a game to join while everyone else is playing against each other.

But in general such an option would be problematic for one simple reason: the pvp population is small and the matchmaking times would further increase and we should ask ourself if it would be worth it (I think it would not).

No, let's not be constructive. Giving any player control over the matchmaker that is easily mutable when we have seen firsthand what they will do without that control is a flat 0/10 on the idea scale.

I understand the frustration of getting paired with people you don't think are pulling their weight but this ain't the way to even begin to fix it.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

@"KrHome.1920" said:Let's be constructive:

No, let's not be constructive. Giving any player control over the matchmaker that is easily mutable when we have seen firsthand what they will do
without
that control is a flat 0/10 on the idea scale.If all you can do is harm yourself in terms of queuing times, there is no "control".

What do you get when you block a player that is worse than you and which is then pushed above you in the queue? Nothing! You put yourself out of the matchmaker effectively.

Side note: I don't see any argument in your posting... just some "imagination" based on nothing. Maybe I have overlooked something. But at least you could not show me what it could be.

@KrHome.1920 said:What do you get when you block a player that is worse than you and which is then pushed above you in the queue? Nothing!

Let's say I own two accounts of similar rating. .Let's say I have one block the other.Let's say I now queue during dead hours.

I now control whatever match I get because opposing side is guaranteed to get my alt.

Any system that allows players to control what team they get put on outside of the matchmaker in a reliable way will be a disaster.

@KrHome.1920 said:Side note: I don't see any argument in your posting... just some "imagination" based on nothing. Maybe I have overlooked something. But at least you could not show me what it could be.

Don't know what to tell you then, sir~

This could work if we had a huge healthy population and the blocklist would be severly limited in size. In the current system you could just block whoever you're wintrading with to make sure he's on the opposite team, or block whoever plays really bad so you get to fight against them instead of having to carry them next round... yeah we don't need more tools to exploit matchmaking.

@"Exedore.6320" said:Idea is dumb and doesn't work.

The problem isn't in blocking a few people. Once everyone starts blocking 10 or 20 people, it becomes next to impossible to make teams.

In a team of ABCDE, A has to not have blocked BCDE, B has to not have blocked ACDE, etc. That's a lot of conditions to meet.

Given that you'll likely only block people in your games who are near your skill level, the matchmaker has to expand ranges to make teams, which make worse overall matches.

This is why Overwatch caps the number of people you can avoid at something like 2 and makes them expire after a few weeks.

I'd be happy with a limit of 2, interesting how "this could never work" "no one does this" is proven wrong right here.I get along with most people, or am indifferent, but theres 2-3 people that id prefer never to have on my team again, not sure why thats such an issue for people.

@choovanski.5462 said:

@choovanski.5462 said:so because you're frustrated with your teammate quality you want to make a block list of people who can't be on your team...man you must be living in opposite land or something, because usually the solution is to get a list of good players and invite them to be on your team. literally the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Hmmmmm

get a list of good players and invite them to be on your team

Hmm.

invite them to be on your team

Nah 0/10, premades are busted soloq only

On topic:

This is literally opening an avenue to match manipulation. It's a bad idea. The fact that its just a roundabout way of making a premade is just icing.

blocking bad players from being on your team instead of making a team is one of the funniest things I've seen on a forum in a long time.

it's also one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. could be bronze and just block everyone who isn't plat and then only get plat players on your team and get perma carry, and so on. the match manipulation would be insane.

@"EtherProdigy.5726" said:im not frustrated with teammate quality, im having games thrown and afkd by people who ive never even spoken to but have a personal vendetta against me, across multiple days.

you say you're not frustrated with teammate quality, but then go on to to complain about your teammates afking and throwing your games. uh, I think they are frustrating you dude.

ya trying to ban bad players from your team, c'mon. teammate quality is obviously a concern.

as for making a team being hard, its not. never has. just use basic social skills and whisper players you see play well in games, or msg your boys in discord. not hard.

but then again, this community:
4312ba1bfd01b1ecc7261069951e6635461839e1

i could see how you would think its a funny idea since u have this assumption that id be blocking "bad players" when if u spent even a minute reading my posts youd know it was because i have some one who specifically queues into me to throw/afk my games, and they make it known they are doing it.stop putting words in my mouth.

its also hilarious that u even mention a bronze and a plat in the same game, as if thats some how supposed to happen or be normal.

@"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:Even if this does happen, the blocked player on the opposite team can defeat you and proceed to spam emotes on you/harass you regardless if you have them blocked. Solves nothing.

i literally dont care about emotes. purposefully afking my games i do though, especially when its something that should be punished and isnt.

@EtherProdigy.5726 said:

@"Exedore.6320" said:Idea is dumb and doesn't work.

The problem isn't in blocking a few people. Once everyone starts blocking 10 or 20 people, it becomes next to impossible to make teams.

In a team of ABCDE, A has to not have blocked BCDE, B has to not have blocked ACDE, etc. That's a lot of conditions to meet.

Given that you'll likely only block people in your games who are near your skill level, the matchmaker has to expand ranges to make teams, which make worse overall matches.

This is why Overwatch caps the number of people you can avoid at something like 2 and makes them expire after a few weeks.

I'd be happy with a limit of 2, interesting how "this could never work" "no one does this" is proven wrong right here.I get along with most people, or am indifferent, but theres 2-3 people that id prefer never to have on my team again, not sure why thats such an issue for people.

If it's only 2 you can easily qdodge, you know?

@"EtherProdigy.5726" said:I'd be happy with a limit of 2, interesting how "this could never work" "no one does this" is proven wrong right here.I get along with most people, or am indifferent, but theres 2-3 people that id prefer never to have on my team again, not sure why thats such an issue for people.You never explained any of that in your original post though!

The Overwatch avoid system was put in place to deal with bad behavior like mic spamming and AFKing. It's kinda working, but still being mis-used to block skilled players who play a "non-meta" character. That's akin to blocking non-meta builds in GW2. So even a limired avoid system still has its problems.