Surprising reason for DC - what can be done?

Guest [Deleted User]

So I just found out the hard way one potential reason for why a player "DCs" early on in a match and doesn't return. I always assumed it was a match manipulation thing, but it turns out it's sometimes ANet's fault.

I played a PvP match, and afterwards things got a little heated with a member of the other team who was antagonizing me. I queued for another match and it started up, and we were just about to leave the gate and BAM! client went white and locked up. Never seen that before - restarted, and it said I had a 3 hour suspension.

Apparently, the other player reported me and it resulted in an immediate disconnection of the client. Setting aside the circumstances around the action (since I am certain I can't discuss anything about that without risking further penalty), the effect was that without explanation or warning, my teammates in the new match were left with a 4v5 they were certain to lose. They are going to assume (as I always did) that I was doing something shady with the match, and maybe report me for that. At the very least it will punish them by wasting their time and give a "free" win to the other team for no reason. And I get additional punishment of rank loss.

I'd never considered this possibility before but now I realize this has probably happened with quite a few of those DC situations you run into - people get mad in PvP, it happens. So in order to avoid hurting completely non-involved players, shouldn't they have the suspension trigger as long as/as soon as the player is no longer in a match? If that's not possible, how about when they log off? Is there anything else that could be done, or do others just think the way it works now is fine?

This is one of the reasons that you lose no rank points after a certain amount of time when a teammate DC's. Yes I agree its not fun to play 4v5 but they are not being punished too much other than time wise, any team with half a brain will just allow a 3 cap and feed to end the game quicker when they are sure the DC player is not returning.

I'd imagine what you are describing is extremely rare and the far more common explanation would simply be an internet or client or even computer issue (happens to me all the time, sadly), maybe a IRL issue and they leave so their team at least doesn't lose points, and finally some shady business.Meanwhile, all I can keep thinking, is if someone did something that gave them a "near instant" 3 hr suspension (when bots seem to exist for ages even with full team reports), they probably shouldn't be playing pvp.

I recently had two DCs in a short time (unrelated to any in game suspension of PvP privileges).

I -repair on my client and haven’t had any issues since then.

As a general rule I think it is good to run a repair on your client at regular intervals. There is also a folder with temporary files for GW2 that you can and should delete periodically to help address client stability.

@"Thorstienn.1642" said:Meanwhile, all I can keep thinking, is if someone did something that gave them a "near instant" 3 hr suspension (when bots seem to exist for ages even with full team reports), they probably shouldn't be playing pvp.

Well, again, I shouldn't discuss my exact situation, but if everyone who's ever said an angry word in PvP were weeded out, you'd lose like 90%+ of the remaining player base.

BTW, you are mistaken about how moderation works. It's been stated many places that volume of reports has no impact on disciplinary decisions (to avoid trolling and other undesirable behaviors). It's not an automated system. If a mod is on and reviewing reports (ANet has said that every report is human reviewed, and that there are always GMs online looking at reports, though I don't know what the turnaround time is in general) and they take an action, it seems to be (as I have now learned) instantaneous for anyone regardless of how small or big the infraction. Hence the question at hand - should it be, when it can clearly cascade additional negative impact in certain circumstances?

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:

@"Thorstienn.1642" said:Meanwhile, all I can keep thinking, is if someone did something that gave them a "near instant" 3 hr suspension (when bots seem to exist for ages even with full team reports), they probably shouldn't be playing pvp.

Well, again, I shouldn't discuss my exact situation, but if everyone who's ever said an angry word in PvP were weeded out, you'd lose like 90%+ of the remaining player base.

BTW, you are mistaken about how moderation works. It's been stated many places that volume of reports has no impact on disciplinary decisions (to avoid trolling and other undesirable behaviors). It's not an automated system. If a mod is on and reviewing reports (ANet has said that every report is human reviewed, and that there are always GMs online looking at reports, though I don't know what the turnaround time is in general) and they take an action, it seems to be (as I have now learned) instantaneous for anyone regardless of how small or big the infraction. Hence the question at hand - should it be, when it can clearly cascade additional negative impact in certain circumstances?

Regardless of ins and outs, I would say that if they are reviewing someone, and can obviously see they are IN match (not matchmaker), then no it shouldn't just DC them in match, but wait till they leave.

No thanks I’d rather have 1 match as a 4v5 than have a player who’s in a bad mood spamming kys each match, let’s face it if your just randomly queing there’s bound to be time where u cannot win but if a player is acting out during their losing streak than they should be suspended asap so that ppl won’t have to worry about being stuck with them for 3 more matches of harsh behavior

@"Dantheman.3589" said:No thanks I’d rather have 1 match as a 4v5 than have a player who’s in a bad mood spamming kys each match, let’s face it if your just randomly queing there’s bound to be time where u cannot win but if a player is acting out during their losing streak than they should be suspended asap so that ppl won’t have to worry about being stuck with them for 3 more matches of harsh behavior

But how would you know that's the reason? Are you really going to stop and think "our fifth just clearly needed a break, I'm ok with this loss" next time you end up in a 4v5 from the start and feel it's a fair position to be in? I mean, if the answer is yes then ok. That's some pretty zen stuff on your part.

Also, I wouldn't assume that the action necessarily is tied to a losing streak or "acting out." People can get into fights over all kinds of things in a competitive environment, with teammates or opponents, and there are such things as baiting and provocation.