Deeper dive on February 25th Engineer changes.

Chaith.8256

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:I think it makes sense to keep holo as a melee combatant. Allowing it to be ranged would deeply infringe on the tradeoff with core - ranged attacks.What tradeoff? Holo has as much ranged as core.

The same # of ranged skills maybe? Holo plays almost entirely in =<300 range because Photon Forge #1-#3 are the bread and butter.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The changes to CC Eclipse are good.But...Could be more fair and thematic if this trait additionaly inflict Blindness and generate a "Dark Field", like a real eclipse.Ex:CC Eclipse: This trait additionally blinds affected targets and generate "Dark Field" while charges.

@Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:How would giving corona busrt be if they gave it an evade frame? Or maybe stab is to be preffered overall?

Not at all a bad idea from balance perspective. Evade on #3 doesn't really work from a mechanical perspective, you're kinda just swinging a holographic hammer.

Evade on #2 would be a good idea for CC: Zephyr - I expanded on that idea in my other thread.

@Chaith.8256 said:I think it makes sense to keep holo as a melee combatant. Allowing it to be ranged would deeply infringe on the tradeoff with core - ranged attacks.

CC: Storm should be more explosive and come with a bigger area of effect, here's my suggestion:

Crystal Configuration: Storm: - Photon Forge abilities explode on contact and have increased radius.

• Photon Forge#1 Chain: 10% damage reduction removed, still 600 range strikes. No longer considered a projectile. Damage upon contact damages targets in a 180 radius. Explosion.
  • Holo Leap: Damage upon contact damages targets in a 180 radius. Explosion
  • Corona Burst: Radius increase: 60.
  • Photon Blitz: Damage upon contact damages and burns targets in an 180 radius. Explosion.
  • Holographic Shockwave: Radius increase: 60. Explosion.

This trait already is thematic and good, the problem is the Cost-Benefit!The the current effect makes the Photon Forge skill 1 weaker and more expensive than the not traited version.The effect could be improved.Ex:CC Storm: Photon Forge skill 1 now ADDITIONALLY fires an explosive projectile, but generates 1 extra heat.

• Range: 900.
  • Radius: Scale with the range. How more close, has more radius (maximum radius: 300; minimal radius: 100).

The goal are thematicaly increase the offensive capability at cost of extra heat.

@"JETWING.2759" said:The changes to CC Eclipse are good.But...Could be more fair and thematic if this trait additionaly inflict Blindness and generate a "Dark Field", like a real eclipse.Ex:CC Eclipse: This trait additionally blinds affected targets and generate "Dark Field" while charges.

Very unique idea, I like it. Holo could churn out blinds with such a trait and the new a flashbang explosives GM.

Unrelated note, Holo is going to be a class that's easy to pressure and lock down, it needs a higher threat level - re-working CC: Eclipse into a high offensive utility trait based on boon rip, greatly enhancing Holographic Shockwave, could be an interesting path

@JETWING.2759 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:I think it makes sense to keep holo as a melee combatant. Allowing it to be ranged would deeply infringe on the tradeoff with core - ranged attacks.

CC: Storm should be more explosive and come with a bigger area of effect, here's my suggestion:

Crystal Configuration: Storm: - Photon Forge abilities explode on contact and have increased radius.
  • Photon Forge#1 Chain: 10% damage reduction removed, still 600 range strikes. No longer considered a projectile. Damage upon contact damages targets in a 180 radius. Explosion.
  • Holo Leap: Damage upon contact damages targets in a 180 radius. Explosion
  • Corona Burst: Radius increase: 60.
  • Photon Blitz: Damage upon contact damages and burns targets in an 180 radius. Explosion.
  • Holographic Shockwave: Radius increase: 60. Explosion.

This trait already is thematic and good, the problem is the Cost-Benefit!The the current effect makes the Photon Forge skill 1 weaker and more expensive than the not traited version.The effect could be improved.Ex:CC Storm: Photon Forge skill 1 now ADDITIONALLY fires an explosive projectile, but generates 1 extra heat.
  • Range: 900.
  • Radius: Scale with the range. How more close, has more radius (maximum radius: 300; minimal radius: 100).

The goal are thematicaly increase the offensive capability at cost of extra heat.

Yeah this would do the trick as well. It's just something needs to be done, the holo master major traits are not very desirable

Personally I really dont like the PLB nerf. At this point PLB is just inferior to supply crate. Supply crate has a lower casting time, stuns for much longer, has a much easier time hitting multiple people, and also adds another stun and immob source off of the net turret. Even with a longer cooldown and not having unblockable, I just cant see myself ever picking PLB over Supply Crate anymore.

@UNOwen.7132 said:Personally I really dont like the PLB nerf. At this point PLB is just inferior to supply crate. Supply crate has a lower casting time, stuns for much longer, has a much easier time hitting multiple people, and also adds another stun and immob source off of the net turret. Even with a longer cooldown and not having unblockable, I just cant see myself ever picking PLB over Supply Crate anymore.

Lazor still has a couple benefits. The fire fields still do tons of damage, it's a launch so can move downed bodies around and you can definitely bait a dodge - animation is very characteristic, canceling it isn't a problem too with long cast time.

@Samug.6512 said:

@UNOwen.7132 said:Personally I really dont like the PLB nerf. At this point PLB is just inferior to supply crate. Supply crate has a lower casting time, stuns for much longer, has a much easier time hitting multiple people, and also adds another stun and immob source off of the net turret. Even with a longer cooldown and not having unblockable, I just cant see myself ever picking PLB over Supply Crate anymore.

Lazor still has a couple benefits. The fire fields still do tons of damage, it's a launch so can move downed bodies around and you can definitely bait a dodge - animation is very characteristic, canceling it isn't a problem too with long cast time.

It still feels terrible and anticlimatic. All these skills were balanced around having good damage by being highly telegraphed (stuff like Big Ol' Bomb, PLB....).I really hope that they will follow up these changes and give these skills something in return to make them worth taking.

@Kodama.6453 said:

It still feels terrible and anticlimatic. All these skills were balanced around having good damage by being highly telegraphed (stuff like Big Ol' Bomb, PLB....).I really hope that they will follow up these changes and give these skills something in return to make them worth taking.

but it also has a hard cc and a field that ticks damage, if over 50% heat. the fact it has a hard cc alone warrants a damage nerf. while i don't think it should have been nerfed as hard as it was (it will probably be increased after the patch hits, as anet has said they will act quickly to fix underlying issues), i still would not keep its damage the way it is now simply because it has a long cast time. everything else also has to be a factor in how it's nerfed.i'd raise the coeff from 0.01 to 0.3 or 0.4.

@Ghos.1326 said:

but it also has a hard cc and a field that ticks damage, if over 50% heat. the fact it has a hard cc alone warrants a damage nerf. while i don't think it should have been nerfed as hard as it was (it will probably be increased after the patch hits, as anet has said they will act quickly to fix underlying issues), i still would not keep its damage the way it is now simply because it has a long cast time. everything else also has to be a factor in how it's nerfed.i'd raise the coeff from 0.01 to 0.3 or 0.4.

Thats still nothing. The problem is its hard to justify it given that you have other CC skills that CC for longer, are much faster and have more additional effects or can hit multiple targets. If you need to nerf the damage at all, then nerfing it by 33% to 2.0 wouldve been the right choice.

Photonic Blasting Module is used in PvE mostly, and being able to use toolbelt skills was better for DPS. They weirdly attempted to overcompensate by increasing Laser's Edge to 25% (which ended up still not being enough) in the July 30th, 2019 patch. Getting back some toolbelt skills sounds like a good direction, but couldn't this have just been split for PvE and done better?

I've seen people use PBM in PvP & WvW, but it was a meme one trick pony explosion. After seeing it once, it was easy to adapt and kite it before it happened.

In my opinion, flashbang might be pretty nice in WvW Power builds.At Fight-start hammer-5 will stun, bring you infight, activate EE, and hit again, which dazes another time.

Also, we run a variant with gadgeteer+mines, shredder, and hammer with absorption-sigil at the moment.It's already similar in boonstrip to scourges, depending on fight movement.With the new mine-improvement and the doubled Hammer-5-cc it might become a major source of boonstrips.

But all points need further clarification. Luckily only 2 more days to find out. ^^

@Dediggefedde.4961 said:In my opinion, flashbang might be pretty nice in WvW Power builds.At Fight-start hammer-5 will stun, bring you infight, activate EE, and hit again, which dazes another time.

Also, we run a variant with gadgeteer+mines, shredder, and hammer with absorption-sigil at the moment.It's already similar in boonstrip to scourges, depending on fight movement.With the new mine-improvement and the doubled Hammer-5-cc it might become a major source of boonstrips.

But all points need further clarification. Luckily only 2 more days to find out. ^^

That's a very clever idea. The first stun of Hammer 5 does NOT proc things like Incendiary Ammunution, so it doesn't proc an Explosive Entrance I'm willing to bet. Which is good, because if it did, the Hammer #5 stun and Flashbang Daze would proc at the same time and overwrite, essentially turning the hammer stun into a daze.

Either way, yes, it would be 2 Expert Examination procs there. The daze would overwrite the Stun by about .25 seconds but it would still extend the CC.

Flashbang just might give Scrapper enough dazes to want to use Expert Examination, at the moment Dazes and Stuns aren't really a strong point, and it's so annoying that Scrapper was always built around stun/daze duration and having stuns/dazes.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Dediggefedde.4961 said:In my opinion, flashbang might be pretty nice in WvW Power builds.At Fight-start hammer-5 will stun, bring you infight, activate EE, and hit again, which dazes another time.

That's a very clever idea. The first stun of Hammer 5 does NOT proc things like Incendiary Ammunution, so it doesn't proc an Explosive Entrance I'm willing to bet. Which is good, because if it did, the Hammer #5 stun and Flashbang Daze would proc at the same time and overwrite, essentially turning the hammer stun into a daze.

Either way, yes, it would be 2 Expert Examination procs there. The daze would overwrite the Stun by about .25 seconds but it would still extend the CC.

Flashbang just might give Scrapper enough dazes to want to use Expert Examination, at the moment Dazes and Stuns aren't really a strong point, and it's so annoying that Scrapper was always built around stun/daze duration and having stuns/dazes.

Just don't forget that Explosive Entrance will probably be a low range aoe centered on yourself (actually there is no clue about if the explosion will happen where the hit lands or on yourself) so you have to cast Hammer 5 and close the gap ASAP if you are too far or you may just waste the trait. Yet i believe Big Boomer is a lot more appealing with all that sustain and flat damage increase.

@Chaith.8256 said:

Ive never understood why expert ex. doesnt work with all ccs im pretty sure either rev or warrior has one of those traits. (cant remember)

@Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

Ive never understood why expert ex. doesnt work with all ccs im pretty sure either rev or warrior has one of those traits. (cant remember)

True, many classes have traits which trigger on disabling foes. Expert Examination should be one of them, it never felt good that the trait was limited to stuns and dazes, especially since Engineer was lacking these kinds of CCs to really make use of it when they introduced the trait.

@Hynax.9536 said:

Just don't forget that Explosive Entrance will probably be a low range aoe centered on yourself (actually there is no clue about if the explosion will happen where the hit lands or on yourself) so you have to cast Hammer 5 and close the gap ASAP if you are too far or you may just waste the trait. Yet i believe Big Boomer is a lot more appealing with all that sustain and flat damage increase.

I really hope that is not the case and Explosive Entrance will deal the damage around the struck foe. Anything else wouldn't really make sense, especially when they are now reworking a trait in the Explosives trait line to encourage you to keep distance (reworked Aim Assisted Rocket).

If the damage would apply centered on yourself, then we have built in anti-synergy in that trait line, which would once again prove that these changes were not really thought through.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Thats still nothing. The problem is its hard to justify it given that you have other CC skills that CC for longer, are much faster and have more additional effects or can hit multiple targets. If you need to nerf the damage at all, then nerfing it by 33% to 2.0 wouldve been the right choice.

no. 2.0 is way too high. lets do some maths.2000 x 1.0 (or 1) = 2000 (this is base damage with the new amulets)2000 x 2.0 (or 2) = 4000 (this is not counting crits)4000 x 200% (lets use this as a baseline (200% = 2)) = 80008000 damage. on a skill that can also cc. that also leaves a field that causes burns and smaller procs (around 500 or so damage per strike) of damage while above 50% heat, which is maintainable for players who know how to manage heat.hard pass on that bro.

@Ghos.1326 said:no. 2.0 is way too high. lets do some maths.2000 x 1.0 (or 1) = 2000 (this is base damage with the new amulets)2000 x 2.0 (or 2) = 4000 (this is not counting crits)4000 x 200% (lets use this as a baseline (200% = 2)) = 80008000 damage. on a skill that can also cc. that also leaves a field that causes burns and smaller procs (around 500 or so damage per strike) of damage while above 50% heat, which is maintainable for players who know how to manage heat.hard pass on that bro.

That's not quite accurate, you're getting freaked out by your calculated damage but it's not what it would really hit for.

Damage = (Rifle Weapon Midpoint Power coefficient) / armor, like for example Celestial/Demolisher level.

So, with 3.0 coefficient similar to live patch (1150 2000 3.0) / 2500 = 2,760 damage. 5106 dmg crit with 185% crit damage. So having might would bump that up, or your enemy having no toughness would bump that up as well.

If the coefficient went down to 2.0

Damage = (1150 2000 2.0) / 2500 = 1840 damage. 3404 dmg crit with 185% crit damage. Obviously same scenario, without might and vs. an amulet with minor stat toughness.

Personally I think that a 33% nerf would be fitting for skills like PLB. As you can see from the calculations, a 33% coefficient nerf is exactly a 33% damage nerf from live.

@Ghos.1326 said:

no. 2.0 is way too high. lets do some maths.2000 x 1.0 (or 1) = 2000 (this is base damage with the new amulets)2000 x 2.0 (or 2) = 4000 (this is not counting crits)4000 x 200% (lets use this as a baseline (200% = 2)) = 80008000 damage. on a skill that can also cc. that also leaves a field that causes burns and smaller procs (around 500 or so damage per strike) of damage while above 50% heat, which is maintainable for players who know how to manage heat.hard pass on that bro.

For a skill you channel for 1.25 seconds, with as obvious a tell as you can get, yeah, thats absolutely fine. Other classes can CC and do damage for less than half that casting time.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Ghos.1326 said:no. 2.0 is way too high. lets do some maths.2000 x 1.0 (or 1) = 2000 (this is base damage with the new amulets)2000 x 2.0 (or 2) = 4000 (this is not counting crits)4000 x 200% (lets use this as a baseline (200% = 2)) = 80008000 damage. on a skill that can also cc. that also leaves a field that causes burns and smaller procs (around 500 or so damage per strike) of damage while above 50% heat, which is maintainable for players who know how to manage heat.hard pass on that bro.

That's not quite accurate, you're getting freaked out by your calculated damage but it's not what it would really hit for.

Damage = (Rifle Weapon Midpoint
Power
coefficient) / armor, like for example Celestial/Demolisher level.

So, with 3.0 coefficient similar to live patch (1150
3.0) / 2500 = 2,760 damage.
5106 dmg crit with 185% crit damage.
So having might would bump that up, or your enemy having no toughness would bump that up as well.

If the coefficient went down to 2.0

Damage = (1150
2.0) / 2500 = 1840 damage.
3404 dmg crit with 185% crit damage.
Obviously same scenario, without might and vs. an amulet with minor stat toughness.

Personally I think that a 33% nerf would be fitting for skills like PLB. As you can see from the calculations, a 33% coefficient nerf is exactly a 33% damage nerf from live.

i forgot that the calculation takes into account the weapon power as well. that's my bad.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlZw8YbsLWKO8TetXA-zZIKjMLgeTAPGA @Chaith.8256Gw2Skills.Net

Explosives: This traitline has been reworked, the new traits are as follows

Minor

Explosive Entrance (NEW): Your first attack on entering combat explodes damaging nearby enemies. (Counts as an explosion.) This ability refreshes after a dodge roll or while out of combat.Steel-Packed Powder: No changesShaped Charge: No changesAdept

Short Fuse(REWORK): This trait no longer reduces the fuse time or recharge of bomb skills. Hitting a foe with an explosion skill grants 4 seconds of Fury (3s ICD)Master

Blast Shield (NEW): Explosive Entrance grants the engineer barrier (base 1508 in PvE and 340 in Competitive modes). Also converts 10% of power to vitality.Grandmaster

Big Boomer(REWORK): Increases strike damage by 10% against foes with a lower health percent than the engineer. Additionally causes hitting with Explosion skills to heal the engineer over 3 seconds, 202 health per second. (This effect does not stack.)

Scrapper going to be 1 hell of a class for 2020 and I can't wait at all. I have at least 3 build ready to test out but I Feel like this Build Offers Everything I need for scrapper to hold on to a node and win it. Great Self Sustain , Great Source Of Super Speed+stability, Boon Removal + Knock Back on a 20 sec cd(maybe lower), Stealth , Multiple ways to Field Blast(Chill, Psn, Blind etc) and enough toughness not to die instantly to a Plus.

Only issue would be Condi base side noders but I'll have a secondary build read for that so i'm not 100% worried at the moment however Scrapper and Core Engi IMO looking MUCH better for side noding then holo at the moment. Prot Holo with 0 source of stability unless from an Elixir is not worth even playing anymore.

@"zoopop.5630" said:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlZw8YbsLWKO8TetXA-zZIKjMLgeTAPGA @Chaith.8256Gw2Skills.Net

Explosives: This traitline has been reworked, the new traits are as follows

Minor

Explosive Entrance (NEW): Your first attack on entering combat explodes damaging nearby enemies. (Counts as an explosion.) This ability refreshes after a dodge roll or while out of combat.Steel-Packed Powder: No changesShaped Charge: No changesAdept

Short Fuse(REWORK): This trait no longer reduces the fuse time or recharge of bomb skills. Hitting a foe with an explosion skill grants 4 seconds of Fury (3s ICD)Master

Blast Shield (NEW): Explosive Entrance grants the engineer barrier (base 1508 in PvE and 340 in Competitive modes). Also converts 10% of power to vitality.Grandmaster

Big Boomer(REWORK): Increases strike damage by 10% against foes with a lower health percent than the engineer. Additionally causes hitting with Explosion skills to heal the engineer over 3 seconds, 202 health per second. (This effect does not stack.)

Scrapper going to be 1 hell of a class for 2020 and I can't wait at all. I have at least 3 build ready to test out but I Feel like this Build Offers Everything I need for scrapper to hold on to a node and win it. Great Self Sustain , Great Source Of Super Speed+stability, Boon Removal + Knock Back on a 20 sec cd(maybe lower), Stealth , Multiple ways to Field Blast(Chill, Psn, Blind etc) and enough toughness not to die instantly to a Plus.

Only issue would be Condi base side noders but I'll have a secondary build read for that so i'm not 100% worried at the moment however Scrapper and Core Engi IMO looking MUCH better for side noding then holo at the moment. Prot Holo with 0 source of stability unless from an Elixir is not worth even playing anymore.

I would re-think Backpack Regenerator on Hammer Scrapper. It's going to be active maybe 33% of the time, so what you get is 117 healing * .33 = 38.61 Healing per second. :cry:

Also, consider Bulwark Gyro over Elixir S. The meta is slowing down, Elixir S is getting the stealth nerfed, it's just not going to be as good. Stability on CC is great, but the optimal amount for Mass Momentum & Object In Motion buff uptime is important so that Bulwark Gyro's defense field will help even further.

Also, I would re-think Healing Turret, Med Kit will be an upgrade I believe, the swiftness it grants is greatly needed as well. Health Insurance over Protection Injection.