Ranger Sword

Revolution.5409

Anet, can you please restore the changes made to the sword?

It makes no sense to have Serpent's Strike hidden behind another skill, Serpent's Strike is a dodge and I'd like to use it when I need it, not as an engagement skill.

If this change was made to reduce the mobility of the profession, remove Hornet Sting and give way only to Monarch's Leap and Serpent's Strike at least the weapon will not be so clumsy.

@Drizzt.1796 said:Hello. For my ranger, Monarchs Leap was separated from Hornet Sting, so i can just jump to my foe and then slither around him. Idk how this is so, but i like it.

It makes no sense to use Serpent's Strike after using Monarch's Leap, it is not an ability to damage enemies and has a 5 second window to be used, once understood this becomes useless from a WvW / PvP point of view and these changes do not make no PvE benefit.

@Revolution.5409 said:

@Drizzt.1796 said:Hello. For my ranger, Monarchs Leap was separated from Hornet Sting, so i can just jump to my foe and then slither around him. Idk how this is so, but i like it.

It makes no sense to use Serpent's Strike after using Monarch's Leap, it is not an ability to damage enemies and has a 5 second window to be used, once understood this becomes useless from a WvW / PvP point of view and these changes do not make no PvE benefit.

I think it does. It also gives me another traveling choice... sorta that is.

@Revolution.5409 said:Anet, can you please restore the changes made to the sword?

It makes no sense to have Serpent's Strike hidden behind another skill, Serpent's Strike is a dodge and I'd like to use it when I need it, not as an engagement skill.

If this change was made to reduce the mobility of the profession, remove Hornet Sting and give way only to Monarch's Leap and Serpent's Strike at least the weapon will not be so clumsy.

Sword is now 1000x better. Use it more.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Revolution.5409 said:Anet, can you please restore the changes made to the sword?

I am a player who uses sword / horn or sword / ax, GS has never been my first choice but after these changes I was forced to change and after the February 25th patch despite the thinking nefs GS will remain better and this does not go well, I would like a viable alternative.

@Revolution.5409 said:

I am a player who uses sword / horn or sword / ax, GS has never been my first choice but after these changes I was forced to change and after the February 25th patch despite the thinking nefs GS will remain better and this does not go well, I would like a viable alternative.

It’s way more viable as an offensive weapon. The design is more logical now too.

@Swagger.1459 said:

It’s way more viable as an offensive weapon. The design is more logical now too.

If it is to be an offensive weapon, it needs skills that do damage, and it doesn't have any. The 1h sword of the warrior which is a Condition weapon has better and more reliable damage.

Sword autos can dish out decent damage with quickness and proper cc. Like 2-3k a crit in pvp. Problem with sword is it doesn't scale well with power. Damage is on par with thief sword damage though. Also thing about ranger is it's designed to be good at 1v1 and not so much in teamfights. Sword is a viable dueling or side node option. Obv you will have a tough time vs reapers and dh. If you want ppl to be annoyed just make a immobilize spam build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POABwidflFw4YesO2JeSXlP7RsE-z5gPCSHA

@"FrownyClown.8402" said:Sword autos can dish out decent damage with quickness and proper cc. Like 2-3k a crit in pvp. Problem with sword is it doesn't scale well with power. Damage is on par with thief sword damage though. Also thing about ranger is it's designed to be good at 1v1 and not so much in teamfights. Sword is a viable dueling or side node option. Obv you will have a tough time vs reapers and dh. If you want ppl to be annoyed just make a immobilize spam build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POABwidflFw4YesO2JeSXlP7RsE-z5gPCSHA

It is better to compare all skills, the thief's sword has teleports and PistolWhip, has more damage and better skills, there is no comparison.

Sword is better this way and it works as kite weapon while you still can use hornet stig and morach leap. What still feels clunky is hornet stig and it needs more reliable use which means either longer evade frame from start or faster cast time. They could add some pet synergy with it like dagger 2 which makes next 2 pet attacks inflict poison so i would suggest hornet stig as next pet attack imob for 1 sec or something like that since its used to escape but it definitly need some help with longer evade or evade from start with lower cast time somehting like lighting reflexes. Its main purpose is to evade and keep fluid power pressure with poison reducing heals overtime so hornet stig should get some more reliable usage and its fine weapon.

@CroTiger.7819 said:Sword is better this way and it works as kite weapon while you still can use hornet stig and morach leap. What still feels clunky is hornet stig and it needs more reliable use which means either longer evade frame from start or faster cast time. They could add some pet synergy with it like dagger 2 which makes next 2 pet attacks inflict poison so i would suggest hornet stig as next pet attack imob for 1 sec or something like that since its used to escape but it definitly need some help with longer evade or evade from start with lower cast time somehting like lighting reflexes. Its main purpose is to evade and keep fluid power pressure with poison reducing heals overtime so hornet stig should get some more reliable usage and its fine weapon.

How would this effect be applied when the pet is merged with Ranger?

@Revolution.5409 said:

How would this effect be applied when the pet is merged with Ranger?

It will proc imob on hornet stig but if its out of range than it stays as next attack imob. If blocked missed etc than its wasted which is how it works already on crippling shot (shortbow 4). On dagger atcing slice it acts differently and it doesn t proc poison druing arcing slice in beastmode it buffs comes at end of annimation. Winters bite and crippling shot are examples of how it should work on hornet stig.

The only real issue I have is Serpent's Strike being kind of clumsy to use.

Imo Hornet Sting should either come after Monarch's Leap or Serpent's Strike.Preferably after Serpent Strike imo as this is a far more effective combination than Monarch's Leap into Hornet Sting.

Gameplay wise with this change you are still able to perform a Monarch's Leap, Serpent Strike, Hornet Sting combo to jump in, attack, dodge and retreat.Only with this setup you have the ability to stay in combat longer and have more control over the dodge without loosing it.Your escape tactic is the thing that suffers potentially being lost if you do not use it which is far more of a punishment than loosing the dodge and could end up costing you if you decide not to use it or you get too careless and allow it to time out on you.

This imo is the best Sword skill combination for Ranger that gives you great mobility and setup potential for healing, traps, CC, swapping to range, positioning, retreating etc.

@Teratus.2859 said:The only real issue I have is Serpent's Strike being kind of clumsy to use.

Imo Hornet Sting should either come after Monarch's Leap or Serpent's Strike.Preferably after Serpent Strike imo as this is a far more effective combination than Monarch's Leap into Hornet Sting.

Gameplay wise with this change you are still able to perform a Monarch's Leap, Serpent Strike, Hornet Sting combo to jump in, attack, dodge and retreat.Only with this setup you have the ability to stay in combat longer and have more control over the dodge without loosing it.Your escape tactic is the thing that suffers potentially being lost if you do not use it which is far more of a punishment than loosing the dodge and could end up costing you if you decide not to use it or you get too careless and allow it to time out on you.

This imo is the best Sword skill combination for Ranger that gives you great mobility and setup potential for healing, traps, CC, swapping to range, positioning, retreating etc.

Maybe you're not a Main Ranger but before the change it was like that, we had Hornet Sting + Monarch's Leap and Serpent's Strike in the third slot, then Anet decided to give us this new mechanic.

@Revolution.5409 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:The only real issue I have is Serpent's Strike being kind of clumsy to use.

Maybe you're not a Main Ranger but before the change it was like that, we had Hornet Sting + Monarch's Leap and Serpent's Strike in the third slot, then Anet decided to give us this new mechanic.

I do main Ranger actually, been running Sword/Warhorn as a backup set for a good few years now.

The problem with the old Sword skill layout was that Monarch's Leap came after Hornet Sting which was just akward and backwards since the purpose of Hornet Sting was to retreat from combat and get some breathing room.

On a number of occassions I triggered both skills by misclick, ending up retreating to heal and jumping straight back into combat or some AoE instead.. which would often down me.This lead to rarely ever using Monarch's Leap intentionally until it became a primary skill with the update.Now I use it all the time to persue/criple fleeing enemies and trigger daze CC combo finisher with Electric Wyverns F2, positioning me right at the enemy's feet to take advantage of the stun phase when I time it right.

However loosing the on demand dodge for Hornet Strike was a bad trade off, it would be far better if we got Hornet strike chained after the dodge instead.That would be the perfect setup for Ranger Sword imo.

@Teratus.2859 said:

However loosing the on demand dodge for Hornet Strike was a bad trade off, it would be far better if we got Hornet strike chained after the dodge instead.That would be the perfect setup for Ranger Sword imo.

I thought it was as near to the perfect utility weapon ranger ever had before the change. IMO it was never meant as a melee damage weapon. Sword was for damage mitigation through evades and kite and most still chose gs over this version. From what I've seen, the new sword is played even less, since they took away the utility/kite, made a gated evade, didn't increase any damage to the weapon, and added training wheels fluidity to promote use in melee.... And most still choose gs over sword, including myself who played sword in most every build from 2012-RIP. At least my bolt looks good on my revenant.

@Teratus.2859 said:

I do main Ranger actually, been running Sword/Warhorn as a backup set for a good few years now.

The problem with the old Sword skill layout was that Monarch's Leap came after Hornet Sting which was just akward and backwards since the purpose of Hornet Sting was to retreat from combat and get some breathing room.

On a number of occassions I triggered both skills by misclick, ending up retreating to heal and jumping straight back into combat or some AoE instead.. which would often down me.This lead to rarely ever using Monarch's Leap intentionally until it became a primary skill with the update.Now I use it all the time to persue/criple fleeing enemies and trigger daze CC combo finisher with Electric Wyverns F2, positioning me right at the enemy's feet to take advantage of the stun phase when I time it right.

Sorry I misunderstood your post, I had never seen it in this perspective, I honestly think these changes were made to reduce the mobility of the profession otherwise it would not have made sense to increase the skill CDs and not to use Monarch's Leap anymore often.I agree at the beginning it took a bit of practice to learn how to use that combination with the sword well, but it made sense, with this configuration Monarch's Leap and Hornet Sting their damage remained low, the same combination made with the GS it remains much stronger and will be even after the patch because you can use Maul to burst the opponent, currently the weapon for me cannot be used to Kite and have extra dodges or to do damage, it is halfway between two.

@Kilrik.6320 said:

I thought it was as near to the perfect utility weapon ranger ever had before the change. IMO it was never meant as a melee damage weapon. Sword was for damage mitigation through evades and kite and most still chose gs over this version. From what I've seen, the new sword is played even less, since they took away the utility/kite, made a gated evade, didn't increase any damage to the weapon, and added training wheels fluidity to promote use in melee.... And most still choose gs over sword, including myself who played sword in most every build from 2012-RIP. At least my bolt looks good on my revenant.

With the reduction of damage on Path of Scars and the current sword skills, after the patch there will be even fewer reasons to use this weapon, ax / dagger will become the most practicable choice probably.

@Revolution.5409 said:

With the reduction of damage on Path of Scars and the current sword skills, after the patch there will be even fewer reasons to use this weapon, ax / dagger will become the most practicable choice probably.

I agree with the addition that I predict the a/d is condi-based, since the axe was buffed for condi and condi overall was mostly untouched by this upcoming patch.

@Kilrik.6320 said:

I agree with the addition that I predict the a/d is condi-based, since the axe was buffed for condi and condi overall was mostly untouched by this upcoming patch.

But I hope it remains a good hybrid weapon, the ax is our only weapon that can hit multiple targets from a distance, if it were to become a purely Condition weapon it would be a problem for power builds that do not use GS and Boons stacking builds.