Staff damage >>>> Sword

JayAction.9056

Title

Staff auto attack chain will now do more damage than the damage based weapon in PVP in the upcoming update.

You guys have catered the game so severely to people that are not good at the game that the logistics behind the game play are no longer cohesive.

The weapon aimed to do damage will now have less damage than the weapon not aimed to do damage? OK

I'll wait to see how this plays out but well ... I'm betting on it to be a bad move. shrug

I'll reserve the bad mouthing until after the patch drops.

Both the staff and the sword were nerfed by 33%. All weapons from all classes were nerfed by 33%.

See for yourself:Staff: (0.433 + 0.5 + 0.666) / (0.65+0.75+1.0) = 0.666Sword: (0.4 + 0.466 + 0.6 + 0.145) / (0.6 + 0.7 + 0.9 + 0.2175) = 0.666

The weapons are the exact same as before this patch. The only difference is everything has been nerfed by 33.3%.

Staff auto chain takes 2.2 seconds to complete while sword auto chain takes 2.05 so sword does come out slightly ahead in regards to coefficient/second but it is very close. Sword does stack vuln a bit, gains a bit more damage on rift slash while cleaving, and will presumably have better synergy with the trait that gives 5% extra damage per weapon equipped, however staff also has slightly higher average weapon strength being a 2 hander keeping the gap pretty close.

@JayAction.9056 said:

I'll reserve the bad mouthing until after the patch drops.

@JayAction.9056 said:

Staff auto attack chain will now do more damage than the damage based weapon in PVP in the upcoming update.

You guys have catered the game so severely to people that are not good at the game that the logistics behind the game play are no longer cohesive.

The weapon aimed to do damage will now have less damage than the weapon not aimed to do damage? OK

I'll wait to see how this plays out but well ... I'm betting on it to be a bad move. shrug

?????????Isn't this already badmouthing?????????????

But no.

Staff remains slower than Sword, and when it comes to where Autos will matter in a competitive setting, Sword will be used to cleave faster.

Not to mention new buffs which will increase damage for each weapon equipped, making 2 swords equipped do more damage than just 1 staff equipped.

And we are also getting a new Precision Strike which will do more damage on Isolated targets, making it good for cleaving too.

• 3 weeks later...

The real pandering to low skilled players comes into staff 5 change.

Staff 5 is supposed to be for interrupting key skills, but apparently people seem to think that you should just be able to randomly use a long cast time abilities right in front of a Revs face and not get punished for it.

However, Revenants that are new to PvP may not realize that staff 5 is best used as an interrupt and instead misuse it as an exclusively defensive move. So by changing it to be better as a defense-move ( If I am reading it right, the evade frame is 1/2 second longer now ) they are basically just catering to low gold/silver.

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:The real pandering to low skilled players comes into staff 5 change.

Staff 5 is supposed to be for interrupting key skills, but apparently people seem to think that you should just be able to randomly use a long cast time abilities right in front of a Revs face and not get punished for it.

However, Revenants that are new to PvP may not realize that staff 5 is best used as an interrupt and instead misuse it as an exclusively defensive move. So by changing it to be better as a defense-move ( If I am reading it right, the evade frame is 1/2 second longer now ) they are basically just catering to low gold/silver.

Kinda disagree.

Ever since Brutality was introduced, Staff 5 was the stuff of nightmares to Firebrands because a PT + Staff 5 not only strips and goes through their Aegis and Stability, it dealt a nasty amount of damage which bites hard onto most Firebrand builds, causing them to be dropped extremely low.

The new change is not really pandering to low skilled players, Anet straight up nerfing the PT Staff 5 combo (Nerfed Bonus damage from PT, nerfed Staff 5 scaling), but pushing something in to "compensate".

In that regard, Staff 5 is being treated more fairly than a majority of the CC skills that are being nerfed.

@Shao.7236 said:@"Master Ketsu.4569"

Some lag never hurt anyone, instant casting is pretty unhealthy anyway. There is no reason wanting to CC chain people in the new balance anyway.

lag literally changes the fundamental aspects of the skill though...if the skill takes too long to cast you can't use it as an interrupt which is pretty much the entire reason to use the skill since the aftercast and low CC duration prohibits any sort of punishing follow up. CC skills should either be about giving a class the ability to interrupt quickly OR stunning a foe and allowing for follow up damage. This change puts it into the "generally neither of those things" category.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:I can 100% guarantee that the FBs who get rekt by staff5 are bad at playing FB. Good firebrands take a lot more than that to be thrown off.

I kinda agree. Power rev, was rarely an issue when I play sage FB. I still think staff 5 should had a change (probably reduce damage in PvP). But Anet are know for throwing random darts on board as class balance strategy.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:I can 100% guarantee that the FBs who get rekt by staff5 are bad at playing FB. Good firebrands take a lot more than that to be thrown off.

Ive won against fb using cleric stats in herald/Ventari staff as well.

Most fb are just boon stackers meta spammers, not that many fully grasp the potential of the class.

Any fb that dies to such a build is either afk or the player has an amputated hand and multiple missing fingers on the other one. Or they fell asleep/died irl mid fight.

@otto.5684 said:

I kinda agree. Power rev, was rarely an issue when I play sage FB. I still think staff 5 should had a change (probably reduce damage in PvP). But Anet are know for throwing random darts on board as class balance strategy.

It did get reduced damage in pvp though....that's like the majority of the change to the skill. So now it has windup AND massive damage loss

@ArthurDent.9538 said:

Ive won against fb using cleric stats in herald/Ventari staff as well.

Most fb are just boon stackers meta spammers, not that many fully grasp the potential of the class.

Any fb that dies to such a build is either afk or the player has an amputated hand and multiple missing fingers on the other one. Or they fell asleep/died irl mid fight.

Doubt.. they are just to dependable from the zergly 1111 and boon stacking.

Before patch cleric stats could still do 2k-5k crits due revenant traits.

With the renegade/mallyx build any fb would melt when caught alone.

Players to much dependable of the Zerg.