Guild Wars 2 "Classic"

TheThief.8475

@"Tyncale.1629" said:I was looking at a Vista in Divinity's Reach the other day, and wondered: "how would I get there without mounts or gliding?" So I did it the old fashioned way, walk into a building to find stairs, walk up, jump of ledge, jump some more, voila. It was fun and classic enough for me. :)

I think the call for Classic is mostly fueled by the desire of people to go back to the old Trait system. For the rest you can get a pretty accurate Classic experience by going without Mounts, Gliding and Elite specs(i.e. FTP as another person mentioned).

Is it weird that the trait system is one thing I wouldn't want back? Having the freedom to put lower ranked traits into higher slots was nice, so you could have 3 adept traits and no grandmaster if you wanted, but I really don't miss having them linked to stats. It was always a frustrating trade-off, trying to decide whether to get the traits you wanted and take the stat loss (or change your build in other ways to adjust for e.g. having to take toughness instead of vitality) or whether to get the best stats and then try to pick the least useless traits in that line. Some of the stat combinations were really weird too, like power and condition duration, or toughness and critical damage.

Not to mention having to pay to unlock each tier of traits, and to reset them so they could be changed.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Tyncale.1629" said:I was looking at a Vista in Divinity's Reach the other day, and wondered: "how would I get there without mounts or gliding?" So I did it the old fashioned way, walk into a building to find stairs, walk up, jump of ledge, jump some more, voila. It was fun and classic enough for me. :)

I think the call for Classic is mostly fueled by the desire of people to go back to the old Trait system. For the rest you can get a pretty accurate Classic experience by going without Mounts, Gliding and Elite specs(i.e. FTP as another person mentioned).

Is it weird that the trait system is one thing I wouldn't want back? Having the freedom to put lower ranked traits into higher slots was nice, so you could have 3 adept traits and no grandmaster if you wanted, but I really don't miss having them linked to stats. It was always a frustrating trade-off, trying to decide whether to get the traits you wanted and take the stat loss (or change your build in other ways to adjust for e.g. having to take toughness instead of vitality) or whether to get the best stats and then try to pick the least useless traits in that line. Some of the stat combinations were really weird too, like power and condition duration, or toughness and critical damage.

Not to mention having to pay to unlock each tier of traits, and to reset them so they could be changed.Not sure what you mean. There are still traits that give stats, so I still have to make trade-off decisions.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

Not to mention having to pay to unlock each tier of traits, and to reset them so they could be changed.Not sure what you mean. There are still traits that give stats, so I still have to make trade-off decisions.

In the system we have now there are certain traits which slightly boost certain stats, but it used to be one of the main sources of attribute points. Each trait line was linked to 1 major and 1 minor attribute and a large chunk of your stats came from there. (Up to 300 points for major stats like power and toughness and up to 30% for minor stats like condition duration or healing power. Here's an older version of the Wiki page which explains how it used to work: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Trait&oldid=573039

So for example if you were playing a guardian and didn't want to use the Zeal traitline you would miss out on +300 power and +30% condition duration (the stats on armour and weapons used to be lower too, they were increased when this was removed to compensate so no one lost attribute points overall it just came from a different source).

If you wanted the equivalent of a guardian in full beserker armour today you had to use Zeal, Radiance and Virtues (and accept that you also got Condition damage, duration and boon duration and if you weren't playing a condi build those stats were wasted but there was nothing you could do about that). If the traits in those lines weren't useful for you then...oh well, that's what you've got. Or you could pick the traits you wanted and accept that a large chunk of your attribute points were going into things you may not want.

@Danikat.8537 said:

In the system we have now there are certain traits which slightly boost certain stats, but it used to be one of the main sources of attribute points. Each trait line was linked to 1 major and 1 minor attribute and a large chunk of your stats came from there. (Up to 300 points for major stats like power and toughness and up to 30% for minor stats like condition duration or healing power. Here's an older version of the Wiki page which explains how it used to work:

So for example if you were playing a guardian and didn't want to use the Zeal traitline you would miss out on +300 power and +30% condition duration (the stats on armour and weapons used to be lower too, they were increased when this was removed to compensate so no one lost attribute points overall it just came from a different source).

If you wanted the equivalent of a guardian in full beserker armour today you
had to
use Zeal, Radiance and Virtues (and accept that you also got Condition damage, duration and boon duration and if you weren't playing a condi build those stats were wasted but there was nothing you could do about that). If the traits in those lines weren't useful for you then...oh well, that's what you've got. Or you could pick the traits you wanted and accept that a large chunk of your attribute points were going into things you may not want.Ahh I see. But instead of that (still using Zeal as example) I now lose 240 power if I don't use zeal AND use a greatsword (120 general, and 120 for using a greatsword). And I guess that if I swap weapons during combat I lose that 120 for using another weapon at that time. Also that trait gives you reduced recharges on greatsword only so if you want the extra power that makes it a lot less cool to use.

Now I'm not saying the old system was good, because it wasn't...but I can't say that the current system is that great either if you know what I mean.

The core areas have been struggling with population for a while now. I'd rather they addressed that instead of dividing the player base between two games.And yeah, as pointed out earlier, if you want the "classic" feel, you can't have the distinctively "non-classic" mechanics, like the mounts.

Register a free account, level a character to 80 on it and see if it tickles your fancy. Maybe report back later. That's the closest - I hope - you'll ever get to a "Guild Wars 2 Classic".

While I don't want a classic, the one thing it would have going for it, is that whatever the population is would be concentrated on fewer maps.LS2 added 2 maps, HoT added 4, LS3 added 6, PoF added 5, LS4 added 6, and current LS has added 2 more. So 25 maps have been added to the game. Actually, 26 - forgot Southsun.The original game had roughly 25 (5 races * 5 maps/race - I don't feel like counting them all up). I'm ignoring cities - only doing areas with combat. So in theory, a less population could still be viable.

GW2 "Classic" -- by which I mean pre-HoT -- was a hot mess. LS1 in particular was a dumpster fire which most other games would not have survived. It's a testament to the core strength of GW2 that it survived its early debacles long enough to"grow up" with HoT. So no, we don't need a "GW2 Classic" -- those days are gone, and we should be thankful for that.

I agree, let's revert Revenant back to how they were at game release. Oh wait.

Honestly, the biggest problem is having too many maps, and this occurs because we have no zone chat. Imagine, if you had dedicated PoF and LS4 chats, and could call for help and constantly keep track of events across all the maps from Crystal Desert, they would suddenly feel alot less empty. But ArenaNet never seems to look to what already works in other games when making decisions.

Also, not allowing the players to directly enter the maps, and requiring teleports, has hurt the game as well.

One of the things we got tired of in GW2 is how they try to be too original sometimes, even discarding things that have worked for decades. There's just so much that has been requested to be added that's ignored because "its not our vision"..

I blame Blizzard for making "Classic" Now we have player wanting "Classic" stuffs without understanding whether they are good or bad. I'm just gonna write the most obvious reason why "Classic" ain't happening: Blizzard have a very large fanbase and Activision being it's publisher, they can make WoW 2 if they want, does Anet have any of those advantages(NCSoft is 1 advantage)?

I tried WoW Classic... lasted about three weeks. It was a great nostalgia trip but got really, really grindy very fast. I loved GW2 when it launched. I have enjoyed its evolution. I am very happy with it now. In a world of unlimited resources, I wouldn't care one way or the other about a GW2 Classic version. But if it consumed resources that could better be spent on the current game, then I'd lean against it.

I would prefer a hard mode over a classic one, so that all maps are scaled to level 80 and the use of mounts is stricter, so you have to get pois and views oldschool style. I think this would give us something to re-explore all the old maps with new experiences and an old feeling when we have to do a few things without mounts and the opponents are generally much more dangerous.