"Obsidian Flesh: This skill now locks the player's skill bar while invulnerable."

Alyster.9470

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:This change was unnecessary in PvP.

Being untouchable while being able to deal damage for free with no restrictions for a few seconds against some one who does not have the same ability....... yeah it was an unnecessary change alright...

Warrior can do that can't they? What about thf and pistol wipe. That's kinda an invuln but with evades, what about Gaurdain blocks that's kinda an invuln as well. I don not see your point. Ele has so little to begin with. Yes sword skills are op, imo any skills that has evade frames is op and shouldn't exist.

No warrior cannot do it no.Lets be clear invunerablity means you cannot have any interactions take place with you from other players no matter what they do.No boon stripNo ccNo Condition application (means you cant blind / slow/ cripple)No condi damageNo strike damageNo effects from ward skills like Spectral ring/ Ring of Warding (which will even stop evades)

You literally cannot be stopped by any meansIf you are going to have this power you should not be able to interact with others either as a result

Now lets compare that to warrior skills
Endure Pain
Has interactionBoon strip still worksCC still worksConditions can still be appliedCondition damage still worksNo strike damageEffects from wards still work

Defiant stance
Your damage does not work but you can still interact with them via ccBoon strip still worksCC still worksConditions can still be applied (you can still blind them for example)Both power and condition damage do not workEffects from wards still work

Pistol whip is an evade and have you tried shocking aura? Shuts it down like instantly

Lets be clear hereinvulns are not the same as evadesinvulns are not the same as damage negations that dont stop cc and condition application etc

Being invulnerable is in a league of its own and should be balanced as such if you cant see this then thats a bit of a problem. One has counter-play the other does not.

Obsidian flesh offers nothing to a team fight as a burst dps except self survival. And on a 50 second cool down for 3 seconds if u u cant play around that then you lack proper skills your self, and obviously been out played.

Correction if you need a skill that makes you invuln to everything in the game while braindead running at a target and pulsing fire aoes for 90% of your damage then you lack proper skills. Fixed that for you.

U didn't fix anything. How can u say shocking aura is a counter to pistol wipe/evade frames. Not every class has it and well only specific builds has and can utilize shocking aura effectivity and well the amount that pistol wipe can be used vs the access to shocking aura is heavily out balanced. Ur like unable to see two sides to a coin.

Because the stun effect is applied when a target strikes you. Even if that target is in evade frames. LOL if you dont know this then you are really the one lacking skill here. im not an ele main and even i know this you can literally kill average pw thieves with Lightning rod tempest and just using shocking aura. They will be forever scared to touch you. I dont know when you started playin gw2 but if you dont know that shocking aura procs through evade frames (so long as the person evading hits you) then you dont have enough exp to tell me i have no idea what im talking about. It honestly sounds like you only know weaver and thats it. If you play properly then you can stop or dramatically slow how well a PW thief does against you on ele.

You are however correct not every class has access to shocking aura and not every other class needs that to beat PW thieves. To be blunt lots of other professions already have the tools to counter it like stability, blocks, etc.

If u cant dodge the 3 seconds that class is invuln for ur lacking skill ur self. No argument will change anyone's mind on that

Talk about someone who cant see two sides of a coin here? ^^^What about how it looks from the other persons side when they cant do anything to you but run away seems pretty fair i guess form your perspective.If you need a skill that makes it so no mechanics in the game can contest you you then you should possibly re evaluate the situation. Sure i can play around the 3 second invuln by just running away but that does not mean its acceptably balanced.

Ive already listed how other skills on warrior or even other professions dont come close to what invuln does and you had litterally no counter argument and jumped to the topic of PW and shocking aura...... The only other invuln thats as broken as Obsidian flesh is Distortion (which also needs to be looked at). Even renewed focus stops the player from attacking at the very least.Im not going to continue this with you btw (its getting slightly petty cause you just keep saying "you have no skill") but if you feel like you are that skilled we can always brawl some time for fun and we can test your theory on if you can outplay me or not. No hard feelings involved.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

Being untouchable while being able to deal damage for free with no restrictions for a few seconds against some one who does not have the same ability....... yeah it was an unnecessary change alright...

Warrior can do that can't they? What about thf and pistol wipe. That's kinda an invuln but with evades, what about Gaurdain blocks that's kinda an invuln as well. I don not see your point. Ele has so little to begin with. Yes sword skills are op, imo any skills that has evade frames is op and shouldn't exist.

No warrior cannot do it no.Lets be clear invunerablity means you cannot have any interactions take place with you from other players no matter what they do.No boon stripNo ccNo Condition application (means you cant blind / slow/ cripple)No condi damageNo strike damageNo effects from ward skills like Spectral ring/ Ring of Warding (which will even stop evades)

You literally cannot be stopped by any meansIf you are going to have this power you should not be able to interact with others either as a result

Endure Pain
Has interactionBoon strip still worksCC still worksConditions can still be appliedCondition damage still worksNo strike damageEffects from wards still work

Defiant stance
Your damage does not work but you can still interact with them via ccBoon strip still worksCC still worksConditions can still be applied (you can still blind them for example)Both power and condition damage do not workEffects from wards still work

Pistol whip is an evade and have you tried shocking aura? Shuts it down like instantly

Lets be clear hereinvulns are not the same as evadesinvulns are not the same as damage negations that dont stop cc and condition application etc

Being invulnerable is in a league of its own and should be balanced as such if you cant see this then thats a bit of a problem. One has counter-play the other does not.

Obsidian flesh offers nothing to a team fight as a burst dps except self survival. And on a 50 second cool down for 3 seconds if u u cant play around that then you lack proper skills your self, and obviously been out played.

Correction if you need a skill that makes you invuln to everything in the game while braindead running at a target and pulsing fire aoes for 90% of your damage then you lack proper skills. Fixed that for you.

U didn't fix anything. How can u say shocking aura is a counter to pistol wipe/evade frames. Not every class has it and well only specific builds has and can utilize shocking aura effectivity and well the amount that pistol wipe can be used vs the access to shocking aura is heavily out balanced. Ur like unable to see two sides to a coin.

Because the stun effect is applied when a target strikes you. Even if that target is in evade frames. LOL if you dont know this then you are really the one lacking skill here. im not an ele main and even i know this you can literally kill average pw thieves with Lightning rod tempest and just using shocking aura. They will be forever scared to touch you. I dont know when you started playin gw2 but if you dont know that shocking aura procs through evade frames (so long as the person evading hits you) then you dont have enough exp to tell me i have no idea what im talking about. It honestly sounds like you only know weaver and thats it. If you play properly then you can stop or dramatically slow how well a PW thief does against you on ele.

You are however correct not every class has access to shocking aura and not every other class needs that to beat PW thieves. To be blunt lots of other professions already have the tools to counter it like stability, blocks, etc.

If u cant dodge the 3 seconds that class is invuln for ur lacking skill ur self. No argument will change anyone's mind on that

Talk about someone who cant see two sides of a coin here? ^^^What about how it looks from the other persons side when they cant do anything to you but run away seems pretty fair i guess form your perspective.If you need a skill that makes it so no mechanics in the game can contest you you then you should possibly re evaluate the situation. Sure i can play around the 3 second invuln by just running away but that does not mean its acceptably balanced.

Ive already listed how other skills on warrior or even other professions dont come close to what invuln does and you had litterally no counter argument and jumped to the topic of PW and shocking aura...... The only other invuln thats as broken as Obsidian flesh is Distortion (which also needs to be looked at). Even renewed focus stops the player from attacking at the very least.Im not going to continue this with you btw (its getting slightly petty cause you just keep saying "you have no skill") but if you feel like you are that skilled we can always brawl some time for fun and we can test your theory on if you can outplay me or not. No hard feelings involved.

U don't understand what people are saying and your aguements fall off point to what others say. No one here needs an explanation of how it works. But you go one to spew garbage about it and not address what I said. I said that not every build/player plays shocking aura. If u understood that then ud know that and not spew garbage.If an emeny is using ai pulsing damage and ur standing next to it u should die. It's your fault for standing there. The way some classes are made, you just don't fight them in that sitchuation. Symbol brand l, fire Weaver, other ai stuff just leave it.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Endure Pain

Defiant stance

U don't understand what people are saying and your aguements fall off point to what others say. No one here needs an explanation of how it works. But you go one to spew garbage about it and not address what I said. I said that not every build/player plays shocking aura. If u understood that then ud know that and not spew garbage.

I did address that you just didnt read"You are however correct not every class has access to shocking aura and not every other class needs that to beat PW thieves. To be blunt lots of other professions already have the tools to counter it like stability, blocks, etc."

Again evades are still not equal to invulnerability no matter how you look at it. Adapt to not being able to attack OF is active or learn to do without it. ITs your choice really. Im not doing this silly argument with you because you will always counter back with "you dont understand" Once some one start doing this for every rebuttal there is no point in continuing the conversation.

Like i said if you want we can do some fights in free for all or something if you want to test skill vs skill for fun no harm no foul no hard feelings but im not going to go back and forth with you when your best argument against facts and logic is "you dont understand" or "You spew garbage."

Have a good day ;)

@ZDragon.3046 said:

Endure Pain

Defiant stance

You clearly made valid points. However, in its current state, it is not that good, and I think twice before using it because of its lockdown.Elementalist is the most squishy profession and by choosing focus, you definitely gimped your damage or offensive abilities. Obsidian Flesh was a good part of focus identity.

Now, I would rather have Endure Pain than Obsidian Flesh in its current state.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

Endure Pain

Defiant stance

You clearly made valid points. However, in its current state, it is not that good, and I think twice before using it because of its lockdown.Elementalist is the most squishy profession and by choosing focus, you definitely kitten your damage or offensive abilities. Obsidian Flesh was a good part of focus identity.

And it still can be a good part of its identity for defensive purposes. No other professions really should have the power to do this and truth be told most of them dont. I dont think ele should be an exception.The the way the game was progressing being unstoppable and untouchable while being free to do any amount of dps pressure you want with nothing to contest you is very imbalanced. Even if people were able to adapt on the fly and evade for the 3 seconds its still just not a properly balanced tool Skills like that simply should never exists without cost and in most games they dont. Many other mmo's ive played if you go invulnerable one of two things happens.

1: you cant take action against anyone aside from movement (and sometimes you cant even do that depending on the class and the game) In many cases you are rooted or movement is considerably reduced making it easier for foes to reposition which discourages the user from using that invulnerability power in an offensive manner and encourages exclusively pure defensive tactics around it.2 your damage is reduced so much that you dont bother using your skills anyways because you would basically be wasting cooldowns

In gw2 neither of these things was happening which makes skills like this imbalanced. Invunerability is a very powerful tool and should be balanced in a league of its own. Not to be comapred with things like evades or endure pain etc.

Having outgoing damage and condition duration be considerably reduced by like a big chunk like 66% or something while it was active would have perhaps been a more justified nerf how ever if the goal is to make all things some what standard it means limiting what the caster can do while its active in some way. Like i said the only other invuln that kind of breaks the rule is distortion and i feel the same way about it too.

And that would be totally fair imo. Cause endure pain has multiple forms of counter-play and is not a true invulnerability.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

Endure Pain

Defiant stance

You clearly made valid points. However, in its current state, it is not that good, and I think twice before using it because of its lockdown.Elementalist is the most squishy profession and by choosing focus, you definitely kitten your damage or offensive abilities. Obsidian Flesh was a good part of focus identity.

And it still can be a good part of its identity for defensive purposes. No other professions really should have the power to do this and truth be told most of them dont. I dont think ele should be an exception.The the way the game was progressing being unstoppable and untouchable while being free to do any amount of dps pressure you want with nothing to contest you is very imbalanced. Even if people were able to adapt on the fly and evade for the 3 seconds its still just not a properly balanced tool Skills like that simply should never exists without cost and in most games they dont. Many other mmo's ive played if you go invulnerable one of two things happens.

1: you cant take action against anyone aside from movement (and sometimes you cant even do that depending on the class and the game) In many cases you are rooted or movement is considerably reduced making it easier for foes to reposition which discourages the user from using that invulnerability power in an offensive manner and encourages exclusively pure defensive tactics around it.2 your damage is reduced so much that you dont bother using your skills anyways because you would basically be wasting cooldowns

In gw2 neither of these things was happening which makes skills like this imbalanced. Invunerability is a very powerful tool and should be balanced in a league of its own. Not to be comapred with things like evades or endure pain etc.

Having outgoing damage and condition duration be considerably reduced by like a big chunk like 66% or something while it was active would have perhaps been a more justified nerf how ever if the goal is to make all things some what standard it means limiting what the caster can do while its active in some way. Like i said the only other invuln that kind of breaks the rule is distortion and i feel the same way about it too.

And that would be totally fair imo. Cause endure pain has multiple forms of counter-play and is not a true invulnerability.

Not every class is the same. Some classes Just dont need invuln skills and still have enough ways to defend themselfes.I already mentioned it earlier in the thread but if you played some ele youself, you should know that you have cds on your attunements. This means you can not just Press your OF whenever you need it.Imagine playing weaver with arcane and any other traitline of your choice. You just swaped out of earth into any other attunement. Now you see a mirror blade flying right at you. To actually be able to avoid tge dmg with OF you would now have to wait around 4 secs to be able to swap to earth again just to wait another 4 secs to then get to your earth skills 4 and 5.By the time this happens you are probably dead. The only time you can use OF and benefit from it is when you are lucky enough to be in earth attunement when you see dmg coming at you.

Lets say you took a big hit but did not die and you make it to OF in time.Now you are at 20% hp and locked out of all your healing skills.

Prior to the Changes you could at least use OF to cover some of your own skills. Be it damage or healing.

One could say just Take mistform on your bar so that you have a free invuln skill at all time.The way ele works just doesnt allow you to take it in its current state. At least imo.

I think you just cannot compare every skill on every class with oneanother. Ele has arcane shield that blocks 3 attacks, mistform which is useless right now imo and twist of fate which has 75secs cd with no wa y of reducing it. OF gave you a bit of roam to breath and to be usefull.

I get that a Lot of people have a certain hate towards ele bc fire and water weaver were so ridiculously easy to play in the last meta. But changes to OF do not only nerf fire and water weaver. In fact they nerfed fresh air and lightning rod builds very hard aswell.

While i prefered the original, the problem here is that we came from a "good skill" to a skill you are not even sure if you want to use it.There are 2 quick solutions to the current state.

Either add a skill to end Obsidian Flesh earlier, so you can use it to block that specific attack and then get back to fighting.

The other solution i believe it would be better.Allow you to Transform Obisidian Flesh to Barrier depending on the time left. You would gain around 500 barrier for each second left when you transform.

This way the skill would be useful in any aspect

@"Endrance.5013" said:While i prefered the original, the problem here is that we came from a "good skill" to a skill you are not even sure if you want to use it.There are 2 quick solutions to the current state.

Either add a skill to end Obsidian Flesh earlier, so you can use it to block that specific attack and then get back to fighting.

The other solution i believe it would be better.Allow you to Transform Obisidian Flesh to Barrier depending on the time left. You would gain around 500 barrier for each second left when you transform.

500 barrier is 2000 health, it is ridiculously low compared to 4s invulnerability.Beeing able to end it is probably the best solution.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@"Endrance.5013" said:While i prefered the original, the problem here is that we came from a "good skill" to a skill you are not even sure if you want to use it.There are 2 quick solutions to the current state.

500 barrier is 2000 health, it is ridiculously low compared to 4s invulnerability.Beeing able to end it is probably the best solution.

It may be low, but the fact you can transform it at will, the barrier is just a "minor" buff. The idea is to add a effect when you cancel OF earlier, not to change invul to barrier. Sorry if i didn't explain correctly.

@Endrance.5013 said:

@Endrance.5013 said:While i prefered the original, the problem here is that we came from a "good skill" to a skill you are not even sure if you want to use it.There are 2 quick solutions to the current state.

It may be low, but the fact you can transform it at will, the barrier is just a "minor" buff. The idea is to add a effect when you cancel OF earlier, not to change invul to barrier. Sorry if i didn't explain correctly.

Ok, I misread. My bad

I dont oppose the idea of being able to end the skill early for sake of QoL thats fair imo.

So after the patch, I still use focus as a FA Tempest because of it's still very handy defensive skills in open world. Despite the downsides of Obsidian Flesh like canceling your actions when cast (even kicks you out of overload when cast AND when the invulnerability ends. go figure.) and the overall clunkiness after the change, I decided to just forgive it.

I gave the new reworked elementals a try and boy is it fun being followed by a group of elemental "familiars" on my scholar character. They've proven to be quite useful tanks and having a mixture of different ones can really give you some coverage. So I was fighting Ruye by Fort Salma in Kessex and I used Obsidian Flesh to give me a few seconds to breathe...and my lesser elementals are gone. Turns out Obsidian Flesh doesn't just delete your entire skill bar and stop you from whatever you are doing but it also kills your own elementals. Just the lesser ones I guess. Can this skill be even more broken? Did they even test it? Please just change it back and leave it as is. NOTHING was wrong with this skill.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with you. This could be a good way to balance.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Dahir.4158" said:Really don't like this change. Bad for outnumbered roaming.

That might have been the point of the change?

It was fine for seven years. Why change it now? It just made roaming and dueling for ele harder, especially for builds that don't rely on weaver (sword). They did this to Mist Form, which is understandable because it's a utility skill, but for a weapon skill to be so useless like this... Nah, this nerf was dumb.

@"Dahir.4158" said:

@"Dahir.4158" said:Really don't like this change. Bad for outnumbered roaming.

That might have been the point of the change?

It was fine for seven years. Why change it now? It just made roaming and dueling for ele harder, especially for builds that don't rely on weaver (sword). They did this to Mist Form, which is understandable because it's a utility skill, but for a weapon skill to be so useless like this... Nah, this nerf was dumb.

I won't argue about whether it's dumb or not (kinda is); rather my point was that Anet may have decided to make this change, in part for the reason you stated.

I like it better this way i do not like full lock out effects. Your able to use 0 cast time skill now during it (if it works out the way i think it will i not tested it yet). The odd ball rez or spike dose not feel worth it for an wepon skill but you still have mist form if you want that effect.