Returning after 2+ years?

carl.1029

How far behind am I if start playing again? I have no dlc's.My main was Mesmer. Last time I played, PU Mesmer was a thing. This build had little in the way of straight up damage but could solo troll in wvw by baiting other players into attacking and doing massive damage to themselves against the illusions. Was super fun. Is this still a thing?Cheers guys

Posted this exact same question to general forum so apologies for anyone has to read it twice, but it's probably better posted here since Mesmer is the sole reason why I want to start playin this game again.ty

If mesmer is the reason you want to start playing again then I would recommend running for the hills and finding a different game.I used to play a lot and had legendary armor and weapons, but I deleted the game a long time ago because of what they did to mesmer.To add onto that, now it appears to be getting worse.Don't even dare buy the dlc's - or future ones at that.Right now in PvP every mesmer elite spec is worse than base, and apparently that is the way Anet wants it.
$Cash$ in by making the elites useful so people buy the dlc's and then crash mesmer elites because many people don't like fighting against that play style.You can do whatever you want, but I have been waiting a good year+ now for things to get better and that still doesn't seem to be the case. Instead, it appears to progressively be getting worse.Feels like buying a new car several years ago, just to have the manufacturer come over later to bash it in just because other people don't like that particular car color or model.Just my two cents.Best to just save yourself some heartache.Good luck with whatever path you pursue though!

@carl.1029 said:How far behind am I if start playing again? I have no dlc's.My main was Mesmer. Last time I played, PU Mesmer was a thing.

Your timing is perfect. Arenanet just gutted Mirage (Chrono was gutted some months back) so Core Mesmer is all that's left now. You can still run PU, but be aware that reveal is everywhere now.

Your timing is perfect.....to reroll a heavy. There is NO reason to play Mesmer in any game mode. like Xstein said Mesmer is gone and that's the way they want it. The other players QQed until you have nothing left to play Mesmer, or anything else for that matter, but a heavy in WvW. Zergs are 80% heavy classes. When was the last time a zerg of light classes rolled over you?? (P.S. never)

@Jables.4659 said:

@"carl.1029" said:How far behind am I if start playing again? I have no dlc's.My main was Mesmer. Last time I played, PU Mesmer was a thing.

Your timing is perfect. Arenanet just gutted Mirage (Chrono was gutted some months back) so Core Mesmer is all that's left now. You can still run PU, but be aware that reveal is everywhere now.

Mesmer is perfectly fine in PvE. The "gutting" only happened in PvP/WvW.

@Xca.9721 said:

@"carl.1029" said:How far behind am I if start playing again? I have no dlc's.My main was Mesmer. Last time I played, PU Mesmer was a thing.

Do people play pu inv pve ?

@Xca.9721 said:

Core is useless in PvE, Mirage revolves around hoping the mob you are fighting has the correct spaghetti code to make each attack count as 50 different actions and Chrono still takes too long to get its burst out. Chorno is still good for open world though but you can't use your shatters.

@Levetty.1279 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

Core is useless in PvE, Mirage revolves around hoping the mob you are fighting has the correct spaghetti code to make each attack count as 50 different actions and Chrono still takes too long to get its burst out. Chorno is still good for open world though but you can't use your shatters.

Oh and they just released a hotfix to nerf Chrono damage even more.

@Xca.9721 said:

Oh and they just released a hotfix to nerf Chrono damage even more.

That hotfix is about a new trait which is still a buff compared to the trait it replaced.

The trait doesn't exist in a vacuum. Mesmer was nerfed this patch due to changes with mirror blade and the GS trait.

Good job ignoring all my other points as well.

But I don't expect objectivity and honest conversation from the kind of person who posts this

@Xca.9721 said:I love how all the Mirage players are crying because their spec got hit hard for the first time since PoF release

@"Moradorin.6217" said:Who cares about raids? Raids arent a valid response since MUCH of the player base doesnt raid. What a meaningless cop out response.

By that logic then PvP and WvW aren't valid responses as well since MUCH of the player base don't do PvP and WvW but PvE. By definition, this too, is a "meaningless cop out response"

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

The OP was very clearly asking about WvW and not PVE.

You made it sound like Mirage/Chrono is garbage in every gamemode.

It basically is.

Mirage and Support/DPS-Chrono are both Meta on several Raid bosses.

And that amounts to 0,0001% of the game

Mirage and Support/DPS-Chrono are both garbage for the remaining 99,9999% of the game

@Konrad Curze.5130 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

It basically is.

Mirage and Support/DPS-Chrono are both garbage for the remaining 99,9999% of the game

You are delusional.

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

It basically is.

You are delusional.

You are the delusional one. Playing Mesmer is like running a marathon barefoot over broken glass while the rest of racers are wearing shoes and running over a smooth track. its an exercise in masochism, there's zero reason to make things so much worse for yourself for absolutly no reason at all when every other profession is at a minimum just as efficient and oftenly more, while being a billion times easier to play and more survivable

@Konrad Curze.5130 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

@Xca.9721 said:

It basically is.

You are delusional.

You are the delusional one. Playing Mesmer is like running a marathon barefoot over broken glass while the rest of racers are wearing shoes and running over a smooth track. its an exercise in masochism, there's zero reason to make things so much worse for yourself for absolutly no reason at all when every other profession is at a minimum just as efficient and oftenly more, while being a billion times easier to play and more survivable

So, by argument:

1) If players playing mesmers are still able to deliver the same amount of DPS and support (or better) as every other class,but2) Playing any other class except mesmer is "a billion times easier to play and more survivable", as you put it,

Then, that makes people playing mesmers a billion times more skilled than every other class. If that's the case, people who play mesmers are at the top of their game.

@Melech.4308 said:

@"Moradorin.6217" said:Who cares about raids? Raids arent a valid response since MUCH of the player base doesnt raid. What a meaningless cop out response.

By that logic then PvP and WvW aren't valid responses as well since MUCH of the player base don't do PvP and WvW but PvE. By definition, this too, is a "meaningless cop out response"

Not really, since we are talking about Mesmer post 2/25 patch which was pvp/wvw focused. I think its MORE rando by far to suggest everything is ok cause...raids. People are upset because chrono was already nerfed into being ok when FB isnt available and now mostly because Mirage has been killed. The strenght of Mirage was always pvp/wvw for endgame for many players. Many players who have never raided and dont want to raid. Im speaking for them.

Edited: Also the OP specifically asked about wvw builds and if they are still working.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

@Moradorin.6217 said:Who cares about raids? Raids arent a valid response since MUCH of the player base doesnt raid. What a meaningless cop out response.

Not really, since we are talking about Mesmer post 2/25 patch which was pvp/wvw focused. I think its MORE rando by far to suggest everything is ok cause...raids. People are upset because chrono was already nerfed into being ok when FB isnt available and now mostly because Mirage has been killed. The strenght of Mirage was always pvp/wvw for endgame for many players. Many players who have never raided and dont want to raid. Im speaking for them.

Edited: Also the OP specifically asked about wvw builds and if they are still working.

Yes, OP did ask specifically about WvW, however what I’m replying to is your reply to “You made it sound like Mirage/Chrono is garbage in every gamemode.”, and your reply was “It basically is”; hence you were talking about all gamemodes and not just WvW.

@Melech.4308 said:

@Moradorin.6217 said:Who cares about raids? Raids arent a valid response since MUCH of the player base doesnt raid. What a meaningless cop out response.

Yes, OP did ask specifically about WvW, however what I’m replying to is your reply to “You made it sound like Mirage/Chrono is garbage in every gamemode.”, and your reply was “It basically is”; hence you were talking about all gamemodes and not just WvW.

To me if the spec/class doesnt translate well from pvp/wvw to pve then pve is also impacted equally. Its just a different way of looking at it. I understand your point, which seems to be that since pve isnt impacted much that Mirage is still ok, at least in pve. To me PvE without pvp/wvw is just scripted boring content I would have stopped doing long ago. The reason I still played gw2 after so much time was because I got into pvp/wvw and still did some pve. I know many people with allot of time in the game are in the same boat.