Character names already taken - PURGE!

Jimbru.6014

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Still 40 legolas running around would be greatly preferable to having to deal with the annoying amount of names that are unavailable.I disagree. But, that's my opinion. I only have 11 characters and never had a problem naming any of them. I use original names, though, and not ones from books/movies/anime/whatever, so ....

21 characters here.

I don't tend to have that much trouble with Charr, Human and Norn names thanks to their naming conventions allowing a multi name combination.The problems I have are mostly with Sylvari and Asura as they largely have singular names only with specific rules that I try to follow as closely as possible.This significantly limits what I view as their compatible singular names.

As I said above, I do not care for titles in names and I don't like using them myself nor am I willing to compromise on finding a suitable name and just going with some random silly name or something just so I can play quicker.I'll spend hours sitting at the creation screen instead of going with a compromise name.If I'm not happy with a name then im not happy with the entire character and will end up deleting it.

So I have to get the names right and there is only so much originality and creativity I can use to do this.You have no idea how much a neccessary extra letter or substitute botches the whole name for me most of the time.Just doesn't look or sound right.

It's not even that hard to come up with a name. I made an Asura ranger for the new player achieves stuff. Female, so I wanted a double vowel. She was there to get xp, right? So I mangled that concept into Expaa (Experience Acquirer with the a doubled) and it went through very easily. She's deleted so if anyone wants the name for some reason, go for it.

Back when there were HoT and PoF betas I made a ton of alts to test things out, using similarly mangled terms describing them being beta characters or referencing their test profession. Not one was rejected. I liked my human Scrapper test enough that I made her in the live game, Scrappy Jones. (Though she became my holosmith once PoF came out, heh, but the name still works fine). I've even re-used some beta names in later betas, or decided to make a character using the old name, and found them still available.

The only times I've found someone else using a name I wanted were when making cutesy keyrunner names or trying to use a name from an Arthurian Name Generator for a sylvari. I wanted him to be Avalloc, had to settle for Avalloq, oh well.

You don't need a ton of creativity or weird diacriticals. Just mush syllables together into something that sounds like a Tyrian name for the character's race, and you're good to go. The creativity part comes in, I guess, in choosing something that fits the personality you're going for, that holds the right connotations, sounds right for their background, while keeping it relatively easy to type if someone wants to invite you to something.

I guess this was something Anet (you know, wayback-when-Anet) gave some thought but never got around to actually implement in a meaningful way: We all got a unique identifier: [Chosen displayname]+.d{4} amounting to something like "Halandir.3609" - I haven't seen other Halandir.[random 4 digits] though?Yet, we can't have free avatar-name choice within our (unique) accountname... Implementation, implementation ad infinitum.

Guild Wars did a lot of rights. Precious few (including naming setup carried over to GW2) Choose a given name + a surname - add a bit of thought and there you go!Purge is NOT needed - But would open a massive can of drama-wurms,,,