list of useless gm traits

Stand The Wall.6987

so since we are seeing big reworks I thought I would make a thread to gm traits, imo the biggest build definer and first things that should be buffed. for competitive modes only, tried to leave traits that I thought were for pve (couldn't help on some). skipped trees that saw reworks. added auto procs even tho anet seems to not want to get rid on them completely, since they don't belong in a gm slot.

ele - all fire, transcendent tempestwar - dual wielding, last stand, martial cadence, heightened focusrang - empathic bond, invigorating bond, eternal bondnecro - parasitic contagion, deathly chill, sand savant, death novaguard - shattered aegis, perfect inscriptions, pure of voice, battle presence, hunters fortification, quickfire, stoic demeanorteef - hidden killer, cloaked in shadow, rending shade, quick pocketsengi - incendiary powder, bunker down, iron bloodedmes - chaotic interruption, bountiful disillusionment, mental defense, illusionary inspiration, malicious sorcery, elusive mindrev - vicious reprisal, lasting legacy, generous abundance

feel free to add your own, disagree, whatever.i'll update the list if you guys can help me out. i'm not terribly familiar with all gms so maybe a short explanation if you don't mind.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:so since we are seeing big reworks I thought I would make a thread to gm traits, imo the biggest build definer and first things that should be buffed. for competitive modes only, tried to leave traits that I thought were for pve (couldn't help on some). skipped trees that saw reworks. added auto procs even tho anet seems to not want to get rid on them completely since they don't belong in a gm slot. ignored borderline useless.

ele - all fire, transcendent tempestwar - dual wielding, last stand, martial cadence

Dual wielding was from an era where quickness was rare. It needs to do more. Martial Cadence is fine, it's just limited by soldiers focus which needs a shorter CD to actually be effective. I would add heightened focus to the list.

I would also add brave stride.

rang - empathic bond, invigorating bond, eternal bond

Add in all the Soulbeast traits.

necro - parasitic contagion, deathly chill, sand savant

PC heals for too little, but much more and it would get OP quick. Deathly chill needs more bleed stacks.

guard - shattered aegis, perfect inscriptions, pure of voice, battle presence, hunters fortification, quickfire, stoic demeanor

I know a certain some one who agrees with shattered aegis lol.

teef - hidden killer, cloaked in shadow, rending shade, quick pocketsengi - flashbang, incendiary powder, bunker down, iron bloodedmes - chaotic interruption, bountiful disillusionment, mental defense, illusionary inspiration, malicious sorcery, elusive mindrev - vicious reprisal, vindication, lasting legacy

feel free to add your own, disagree, whatever.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:teef - hidden killer, cloaked in shadow, rending shade, quick pockets

• Hidden killer is lying dormant for a cheese ferocity build.
  • Cloaked in Shadows, useful for fighting under watchtowers in WvW
  • Quick pockets, Essential to trickery power p/p (Small buff would be still good)

engi - flashbang, incendiary powder, bunker down, iron blooded

• Incendiary powder, Used for flamethrower builds
  • Iron Blooded, Bunker engi builds (mainly scrapper)

+necro - Spiteful Spirit

Empathic Bond has gotta be one the absolute worst grandmaster traits in the game (for competitive modes at least). It needs a complete rework. Invigorating Bond wouldn't be so lackluster if it didn't scale off of the pet's stats, making healing power completely irrelevant for a pure healing trait (unless running some meme healing Soulbeast build).

Conclusion: don't trust any trait with "Bond" in its name.

@Redpawa.4108 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:teef - hidden killer, cloaked in shadow, rending shade, quick pockets
  • Quick pockets, Essential to trickery power p/p (Small buff would be still good)

Quick pockets was nerfed due to staff/staff bunker on nodes. But since then staff get increased ini cost on skills, dmg also was nerfed and bug with jump with 3 skill was fixed. So i think they can revert nerf of this trait.

@Redpawa.4108 said:

• Hidden killer is lying dormant for a cheese ferocity build.
  • Cloaked in Shadows, useful for fighting under watchtowers in WvW

engi - flashbang, incendiary powder, bunker down, iron blooded
  • Incendiary powder, Used for flamethrower builds
  • Iron Blooded, Bunker engi builds (mainly scrapper)

+necro - Spiteful Spirit

Interesting thing few days ago saw someone with core engi flamethrower build trying to burn me. the guy got annoyed that i wanted to talk to him and ask him about the build instead of fight and wandered off.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:Why is Vindication on this list? It's might on crit and flanking attacks with no cooldown...

useful in zergs only? imo it could be changed to be useful in more situations.

Are you talking about the Citadel Bombardment part of the trait? I don't see how gaining might on almost every attack would only be useful in a zerg.

@Clownmug.8357 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:Why is Vindication on this list? It's might on crit and flanking attacks with no cooldown...

Are you talking about the Citadel Bombardment part of the trait? I don't see how gaining might on almost every attack would only be useful in a zerg.

the duration is so short. can you stack reasonable mights in a 1v1?

edityeah nvm idk what i'm talking about.

This highly depends on the format. Sand Savant is required for healing scourge in raids so its not useless. Parasitic Contagion has some niche uses in a few raids and in solo open world. I'll admit its not the most useful, but not useless. Deathly chill is a bit underwhelming.

The only useless grandmaster trait necromancer really has is Unholy Sanctuary. But they have a lot of underwhelming grandmaster traits including Signet of suffering, Death Nova, Corrupter's Fervor, Vampiric Ritual, Unholy Martyr, deathly chill, sand savant(now) and Feed from corruption. Basically every line has something that doesn't preform as well as it probably should.

@Lily.1935 said:

This highly depends on the format. Sand Savant is required for healing scourge in raids so its not useless. Parasitic Contagion has some niche uses in a few raids and in solo open world. I'll admit its not the most useful, but not useless. Deathly chill is a bit underwhelming.

The only useless grandmaster trait necromancer really has is Unholy Sanctuary. But they have a lot of underwhelming grandmaster traits including Signet of suffering, Death Nova, Corrupter's Fervor, Vampiric Ritual, Unholy Martyr, deathly chill, sand savant(now) and Feed from corruption. Basically every line has something that doesn't preform as well as it probably should.

almost all of the traits you listed are good in competitive, that's why I specified which mode I was referring to.

the duration is so short. can you stack reasonable mights in a 1v1?

edityeah nvm idk what i'm talking about.

Yup, the lack of a cooldown makes up for it.

almost all of the traits you listed are good in competitive, that's why I specified which mode I was referring to.

Necromancer under preforms in competitive. And those traits I listed do under preform. Signet under preforms because of lack of personal information, not because its bad but because necromancer design is bad. Death Nova under preforms because minion under preform in all game modes, corrupter's fervor under preforms because of the high aggression required to achieve its minimum, Vampiric ritual under preforms because what it provides is a bit too minimal when considering for building. Actually Vampiric ritual would be quite good if it had pulsing protection but it doesn't so it under preforms. Unholy Martyr is again extremely minor as a supportive trait and is taken more to patch up holes in shroud which does not make it a good trait. Deathly chill you say is useless I just say it under preforms which is more generous than you. As well as Sand Savant. Feed from Corruption is lacking due to a few factors in that corruption and stripping has been nerfed and it just doesn't compare to Demonic lore even in competitive which is a real shame since it in theory should be better for specific builds.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:so since we are seeing big reworks I thought I would make a thread to gm traits, imo the biggest build definer and first things that should be buffed. for competitive modes only, tried to leave traits that I thought were for pve (couldn't help on some). skipped trees that saw reworks. added auto procs even tho anet seems to not want to get rid on them completely, since they don't belong in a gm slot.

ele - all fire, transcendent tempestwar - dual wielding, last stand, martial cadence, heightened focusrang - empathic bond, invigorating bond, eternal bondnecro - parasitic contagion, deathly chill, sand savant, death novaguard - shattered aegis, perfect inscriptions, pure of voice, battle presence, hunters fortification, quickfire, stoic demeanorteef - hidden killer, cloaked in shadow, rending shade, quick pocketsengi - incendiary powder, bunker down, iron bloodedmes - chaotic interruption, bountiful disillusionment, mental defense, illusionary inspiration, malicious sorcery, elusive mindrev - vicious reprisal, lasting legacy, generous abundance

feel free to add your own, disagree, whatever.i'll update the list if you guys can help me out. i'm not terribly familiar with all gms so maybe a short explanation if you don't mind.

half the things you mentioned are pve meta picks. perfect inscriptions is one of the reasons guard is so broken.incendiary powder is needed for condi engi, bunker down is ok sustain in pve at least. probably too low values in pvp because in pve it can heal a lot. its 250 hpslasting legacy and generous abundance are both meta aswelltranscendent tempest is awesome for fresh air tempest. persisting flames is ok aswell.

@Yasai.3549 said:The most useless GM ever is Generous Abundance from Salvation traitline.

HEALING ORBS SUCK PERIOD

Stop making us use Healing orbs gdi.

They are so bad that the trait is better than selfless amplification in a pure healing build.

@Lily.1935 said:

Necromancer under preforms in competitive. And those traits I listed do under preform. Signet under preforms because of lack of personal information, not because its bad but because necromancer design is bad. Death Nova under preforms because minion under preform in all game modes, corrupter's fervor under preforms because of the high aggression required to achieve its minimum, Vampiric ritual under preforms because what it provides is a bit too minimal when considering for building. Actually Vampiric ritual would be quite good if it had pulsing protection but it doesn't so it under preforms. Unholy Martyr is again extremely minor as a supportive trait and is taken more to patch up holes in shroud which does not make it a good trait. Deathly chill you say is useless I just say it under preforms which is more generous than you. As well as Sand Savant. Feed from Corruption is lacking due to a few factors in that corruption and stripping has been nerfed and it just doesn't compare to Demonic lore even in competitive which is a real shame since it in theory should be better for specific builds.

If the protection of wells would pulse it would probably come with the cost of reduced protection duration, because 5sec protection with every pulse would be way too strong.So your team would have to stand inside the wells to get full potential, which is not rly optimal (since you are trying to hit your enemies for dmg, resulting in enemies AND your team to sit on each other) atleast not in wvw, where i see the most use of wells.

5 sec of protection, lifesteal and reduced cd is quite good on a necro playing with wells.Dont think that trait underperforms.