Silver lining for Power Heralds - OW

Turkeyspit.3965

Small consolidation, but at least Power Heralds got a huge sustain buff out of the rework, mainly via battle scars.

I always found my sw/sw Rev to be very squishy in OW HoT+ content, and was one of the reasons I relegated him to WvW play. But since the rework, his self sustain through attacks is majorly upgraded. At lunch I did the Corrupted Facet on him, and I purposefully tanked the damage to see if I could outsustain it. I know I was getting some sustain from other members of the group, though we were a small bunch of about 5-6, but I know that pre-rework i would not have lasted, much less never drop below 50%.

I'm just running standard buildDev: 2-3-3Invocation: 1-3-3Herald: 3-1-3

Thrill of Combat +Dance of Death is big time self sustain, especially with Shiro + Impossible odds.

Doesn't diminish the dumpster fire that Power Herald is in WvW/PvP atm, but if at least you can play it in metas and stuff now ^_^

That's the inherent problem with Battle Scars in general. They're extremely good in PvE, likely too good to the point that the only thing that'll kill you in PvE is one shot mechanics.

Yet they're completely worthless in competitive game modes due to the numbers. After the nerfs are handed out to the appropriate builds (FB, condi rev, core necro), this should be one of the things they take a look at improving.

It's abundantly clear that the PvE value of ~300 base heal per stack is too much, and at the same time it's clear that the PvP value of 58 is too little. This mechanic should definitely have different values in each gamemode, but a difference greater than fivefold leaves the trait unusable in comp gamemodes and robs power herald of its sustain.

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:That's the inherent problem with Battle Scars in general. They're extremely good in PvE, likely too good to the point that the only thing that'll kill you in PvE is one shot mechanics.

Yet they're completely worthless in competitive game modes due to the numbers. After the nerfs are handed out to the appropriate builds (FB, condi rev, core necro), this should be one of the things they take a look at improving.

It's abundantly clear that the PvE value of ~300 base heal per stack is too much, and at the same time it's clear that the PvP value of 58 is too little. This mechanic should definitely have different values in each gamemode, but a difference greater than fivefold leaves the trait unusable in comp gamemodes and robs power herald of its sustain.

Improving something? You really have been away for 6 months rofl ;-)

OW Battle Scars is basically combining Focused Siphoning and Assassin's Annihilation.

Nothing really changed, except yu no longer have passive sustain just by using Devastation.The only real change is that yu pick Dance of Death now, and can gain stacks by applying Vuln and that yu can get vastly more healing out of it when yu drop below 50% hp.

Thrill of Combat straight up needs to be made a minor still.

Yeah, Battle Scars feels pretty nuts in PvE. With all the vuln application available to the class, sustain feels godly. Honestly it makes me enjoy playing power Rev a lot more in OW.

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:That's the inherent problem with Battle Scars in general. They're extremely good in PvE, likely too good to the point that the only thing that'll kill you in PvE is one shot mechanics.

I think they kinda shot themselves in the foot by balancing it around a mechanic that has so much variation in its application. Dance of Death in particular is what "breaks" the balance for the trait. I imagine it would be hard to balance around a condition that has such a giant discrepancy between its application minimum and maximum potentials. I dunno, I imagine they had to balance Dance of Death as if people are optimizing for maximum vuln application potential, but that makes the trait lackluster in every other application.

Band-aid fixes aren't fixes. They are merely patch work to help tide one over until and I it can be fixed~ Power revs were hated, whined about and now we are here with condi-rev being not far behind. Im pretty sure rev will be dead without major changes if they keep it up~

@Justine.6351 said:

Improving something? You really have been away for 6 months rofl ;-)

You're right, this is power herald I'm talking about after all, what's changed? Lol. The nerfs for the last year have absolutely been deserved as the class has been overperforming for a ridiculous amount of time, but this time, they were just too much. Now that the outliers have been nerfed (although I don't understand why NOT nerf condi herald in WvW) maybe we can start to see a gradual improvement of some things that are just trash. Battle Scars is on that list, although I would argue that power mirage and weaver are far bigger priorities to buff than a siphon trait on the class that just dominated PvP for 2 years.

If you think Herald isn't cutting it anymore for you, there's always Core you can try. It's in a pretty good spot, I play it as Berserker Amulet all the time when I need some direct damage instead of Conditions and the damage is pretty dope at up to 7k Deathstrike and 5k Chilling Isolation.

@Shao.7236 said:If you think Herald isn't cutting it anymore for you, there's always Core you can try. It's in a pretty good spot, I play it as Berserker Amulet all the time when I need some direct damage instead of Conditions and the damage is pretty dope at up to 7k Deathstrike and 5k Chilling Isolation.

Last year when I played power Herald zerk amulet arleady was the logical choice, because being their role to +1 the vit stat in marauder felt lke a total waste. 12k between DS and CI sounds cute: you can almost halve the life of a condi Rev or a Necro stacking those two hits (assuming that aegis, a barrier or something equaly instantaneus and balanced doesn't suddenly appears).

• 2 weeks later...

@Justine.6351 said:

@Kuma.1503 said:Battle scars is broken in OW. You get a stack every time you apply vuln with no ICD. Icerazer's Ire essentially acts as a second heal skill with the trait. With traits. Darkrazer applies AoE vuln which also procs the trait.

Renegade probably needs some nerfs then.

Nah, it's the overal design of revenant at work. Since you have no energy to do anything but hit auto attacks, battle scars procs off vulnerability, and sword 1 stacks vulnerability....working as intended!!!