Free Equipment Respec

Nether.9741

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:If free respeccing is a thing, why shouldnt it become a thing in pve, too? Most or all pve meta builds need changing after a) new stat introduction (see diviner stats) or b) balance changes (see power sword weaver and condi sword weaver, staff weaver is dead, chrono killed etc). Should those players not get a free respec, as well?

How many MMORPGs do you know that throw out free respecs and free gear changing after each balance patch?

FF14 lets you change your class on demand. Dragoon got nerfed? Guess I'll play Ninja now.

You have to level every class in FF14. Just because you have a max level Dragoon doesn't mean they give you a max level Ninja the second you switch. You can level a new class in GW2 just as much as you can level a new class in FF14. Chrono got nerfed... guess you'll play thief now. Also what does this even have to do with the question he asked? FF14 doesn't give a free gear change respec every time they come out with a patch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:If free respeccing is a thing, why shouldnt it become a thing in pve, too? Most or all pve meta builds need changing after a) new stat introduction (see diviner stats) or b) balance changes (see power sword weaver and condi sword weaver, staff weaver is dead, chrono killed etc). Should those players not get a free respec, as well?

How many MMORPGs do you know that throw out free respecs and free gear changing after each balance patch?

FF14 lets you change your class on demand. Dragoon got nerfed? Guess I'll play Ninja now.

FF14 has a progressive gear grind...

And? I fail to see the mechanical difference of grinding your ass off for skins vs stats. Getting BiS gear is so easy you're gonna end up grinding for alt classes on your toon just because you've run out of shit to do between content drops.

@"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:You can level a new class in GW2 just as much as you can level a new class in FF14. Chrono got nerfed... guess you'll play thief now.

Assuming you have a character slot open

And quit the "every time they come out with a patch" bullshit

The OP is explicitly talking about the "900 skill/trait" changes patch coming soon which is unprecedented in it's scale

So tired of this stupid "oh you want this one thing this one time? You must want it all the time for everything!" argument that the internet loves

@Substance E.4852 said:

FF14 has a progressive gear grind...

And? I fail to see the mechanical difference of grinding your kitten off for skins vs stats. Getting BiS gear is so easy you're gonna end up grinding for alt classes on your toon just because you've run out of kitten to do between content drops.

Really? 7 years in too? Because last I checked, FF14 has had multiple gear extensions so far, and the game is hardly 8 years old. That's how long ascended has been available in GW2. So I fail to see the connection here. Changing class in FF14 is akin to changing characters in GW2. Gearing in GW2 is hardly as punishing or as lengthy as it is in FF14, so I fail to see that connection too.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:You can level a new class in GW2 just as much as you can level a new class in FF14. Chrono got nerfed... guess you'll play thief now.

Assuming you have a character slot open

FF14 has a subscription. Extra character slots don't even show up on the radar m8. Even then, ascended gear is account bound, meaning you can transfer it within weight classes. Sorry but you are not going to convince anyone that ANY popular MMORPG in the western market even comes close to the ease and low amount of game play required for BiS gear as GW2. Not to mention the ability to stat swap this gear.

@Substance E.4852 said:And quit the "every time they come out with a patch" kitten

The OP is explicitly talking about the "900 skill/trait" changes patch coming soon which is unprecedented in it's scale

So tired of this stupid "oh you want this one thing this one time? You must want it all the time for everything!" argument that the internet loves

yes, and some of us are tired of players complaining about having nothing to do, then at the next moment ask for even the slightest of game play necessity to be removed.

From a pure game health perspective, the established systems are more than able to cope with any change in gear which might be necessary. I specifically used MIGHT, because chances are very high best in slot gear will remain best in slot gear, as it always has with every major patch.

@Cyninja.2954 said:FF14 has had multiple gear extensions so far, and the game is hardly 8 years old.

What do you expect people to be doing during that time if not grinding for gear? Have you ever even played another MMO besides GW2?

FF14 has a subscription.

Ya and you get your money's worth while Anet seems to only want to shunt cash into side projects

yes, and some of us are tired of players complaining about having nothing to do, then at the next moment ask for even the slightest of game play necessity to be removed.

Oh yes, I'm sure people mean they want more leveling and crafting to deal with, not more actual content to play. Forget new pvp modes/support and new instanced content, gimme more reasons to click the crafting UI.

You also realize the entire reason for even respecing after this change is for WvW change up's?

Almost every skill tone down or change is pvp/wvw only. People complain about needing to gear up toons for WvW precisely because it impedes their ability to play the game and is the one game mode where you are going to be using bizarre stat combos.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:FF14 has had multiple gear extensions so far, and the game is hardly 8 years old.

What do you expect people to be doing during that time if not grinding for gear? Have you ever even played another MMO besides GW2?

DAoC, Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft, Aeon. All of them multiple years. But I like how you are shifting the issue away from what I was referring to:Gearing in EVERY other MMORPG is significantly longer and of less permanent value than GW2.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:FF14 has a subscription.

Ya and you get your money's worth while Anet seems to only want to shunt cash into side projects

Sure, but that's not the issue of this topic and your personal opinion to which you are entitled.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:yes, and some of us are tired of players complaining about having nothing to do, then at the next moment ask for even the slightest of game play necessity to be removed.

Oh yes, I'm sure people mean they want more leveling and crafting to deal with, not more actual content to play. Forget new pvp modes/support and new instanced content, gimme more reasons to click the crafting UI.

You also realize the entire reason for even respecing after this change is for WvW change up's?

Almost every skill tone down or change is pvp/wvw only. People complain about needing to gear up toons for WvW
precisely
because it impedes their ability to play the game and is the one game mode where you are going to be using bizarre stat combos.

Yes and I know how much players were complaining about having nothing to do after Episode 1 of this Living World Season. Then again complaining about having to much to do with Episode 2, yet somehow it seems having things to work towards, even if it's grind, keeps players more entertained this episode than last one. Players in this game love to complain, constantly.

So I'll just go with, I'm pretty sure:A.) the meta will not drastically change in WvW gear wise except between condi and power but within those it will likely remain similar to the current sets (if it changes between damage types)B.) players will happily work and build craft and try things out, then revert to using builds from metabattle builds weeks in, then complain they have nothing to do no later than 2 months after the patch

In short: players whine and complain without even knowing how some change will affect them only cause they want free stuff. Then they leave the game because they are bored.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Gearing in EVERY other MMORPG is significantly longer and of less permanent value than GW2.

Again, irrelevant because the entire purpose of engaging in pve in those games is to gear up and chase that treadmill. It's not an issue for those people because they bought the game knowing it was part of it.

People didn't clog up WoW Classic's queue because they hate doing dungeons/raids for loot. You can't separate it from the content like you can in GW2 no matter how badly you want to try and make some point.

your personal opinion

It's actually a fact but w/e, going further into it will just bring the mods down on my head

Yes and I know how much players were complaining about having nothing to do after Episode 1 of this Living World Season. Then again complaining about having to much to do with Episode 2, yet somehow it seems having things to work towards, even if it's grind, keeps players more entertained this episode than last one. Players in this game love to complain, constantly.

People complain in every game, get over yourself.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Gearing in EVERY other MMORPG is significantly longer and of less permanent value than GW2.

Again, irrelevant because the entire purpose of engaging in pve in those games is to gear up and chase that treadmill. It's not an issue for those people because they bought the game knowing it was part of it.

People didn't clog up WoW Classic's queue because they hate doing dungeons/raids for loot. You can't separate it from the content like you can in GW2 no matter how badly you want to try and make some point.

I'm not separating loot or gear from the content in GW2, you are. You do not consider gear as part of this game PVE progression, I do. That's the difference between us.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I'm not separating loot or gear from the content in GW2, you are. You do not consider gear as part of this game PVE progression, I do. That's the difference between us.

I'm talking about other games in which you seem eager to hold up treadmills like it's some negative that the players begrudgingly accept

It also is separate because selling everything you loot to buy gem store content or otherwise unattainably rare items is a thing and people who hate crafting so much they made anet create alternate methods to acquire ascended equipment

Seems like you're just upset that people don't value the game content the way you do and I don;t know what to say to that other than that's beyond your control

@Substance E.4852 said:

I'm talking about other games in which you seem eager to hold up treadmills like it's some negative that the players begrudgingly accept

I'm not holding up treadmills as a negative, it is a great system which works amazingly well in other games. It's far less common in GW2, but given this game is competing in the same market as those other games, I find it out of place to distance ones self even more from the competition with the little grind that is in place here. Especially given how it already causes issue in player retention.

@Substance E.4852 said:It also is separate because selling everything you loot to buy gem store content or otherwise unattainably rare items is a thing and people who hate crafting so much they made anet create alternate methods to acquire ascended equipment

Ascended gear was available outside of crafting when originally introduced (rings, accessories), and the most effective and cheap way to get it is still playing the games content. So unsure what you are referring to.

@Substance E.4852 said:Seems like you're just upset that people don't value the game content the way you do and I don;t know what to say to that other than that's beyond your control

I'm not upset. Unlike most players I am quit content with what this game offers, and what it doesn't offer. I am just anti short sighted decision making based on singular events like huge patches which come once every blue moon.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:This is the only benefit for legendary armor and you want to take it away.

Not really. At least I assume OP means this as a one time thing(or maybe each time there is a major enough balance change).

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm not sure this would even be possible.

I believe it's been done before.

It was done before on equipment that was stat selectable only in the first place. We didn't get to respec equipment that was fixed stats on creation.

It was done before on gear that used to have Magic Find as a stat and those items were not stat selectable to begin with..

@"Substance E.4852" said:And quit the "every time they come out with a patch" kitten

I went back and read my comment, couldn't find where I wrote "oh you want this one thing this one time? You must want it all the time for everything!"

This game isn't the first game to ever do a large meta shifting patch, and once again, when other games have huge patches that change their games drastically, they also don't give all their players new gear just because things changed.

I can't really imagine how any gear respeccing system could work without really messing up the economy, or having other issues.Allow respec for all equipped items? Players will complain they had stuff in storage that they wanted respecced, and didn't realize they needed it equipped on their character at some particular point.Respec everything, including in inventory/storage? I could then imagine large numbers of players holding on to that unspecced equipment to respec to whatever is the meta and then selling it.I'm also not sure how one would handle respecs where the target is more valuable than the base - for example, ascended viper just takes more material than ascended berserker. Do people get that upgrade for free? What about sigils and runes?While I certainly like the idea of Anet letting us do it, for the reasons above, I really don't see it happening. Though the one way I could see them doing this is selling a respeccing item (for gems), that you apply to a certain piece of equipment that lets you respec it. In that way, Anet could make money from this. They could also conceivably be nice and give a few of those respec items to each account or for each character, but almost certainly not enough to meet the demands. And in most cases, it would probably be cheaper to just make new equipment than spend the gems on such a respec item.

• 3 weeks later...

@Cyninja.2954 said:How many MMORPGs do you know that throw out free respecs and free gear changing after each balance patch? How many MMORPGs do you know that, once a player has reached max gear, treat that gear as always best in slot? Not even GW1 did that, and that's barely an MMORPG.

STO Online gives a free re-spec when they make a major change.

I want to play the game not fundraise. Anet should have more respect for the work I put in to get what I have.@Cyninja.2954" Please send any of your extra gold my way since you have so much. LOL

Balance changes drive the market. Changing stats requires buying and/or crafting the materials. This raises the demand for crafting components and complimentary materials. This helps to prevent over-saturation. Besides, most veteran players either have oodles of gold, oodles of materials, or the knowledge on how to make gold very fast, so at worst re-speccing yourself is just a minor inconvenience.

@Nether.9741 said:With the new balance patch please give all accounts a free equipment respec.I fully understand your need to do a balance patch but someone that plays all the classes and has more than once account this massive patch will make it impossible for me to pay for all the fixes. Your need to fix the game should break my gold bank account that I worked so hard to get (and trust me it is not a lot).

Honestly, I would so appreciate that you not only balance the game but not punish the player in the process

That's never going to happen. You will have to invest in different gear. If you are passionate about the game mode, you will have to work for it.

@LostInDarkness.5460 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:How many MMORPGs do you know that throw out free respecs and free gear changing after each balance patch? How many MMORPGs do you know that, once a player has reached max gear, treat that gear as always best in slot? Not even GW1 did that, and that's barely an MMORPG.

STO Online gives a free re-spec when they make a major change.

STO also has a progressive gearing system which takes far far far longer to reach max gear and max gear level was raised multiple times over the last few years.

@LostInDarkness.5460 said:I want to play the game not fundraise. Anet should have more respect for the work I put in to get what I have.

Yes, so much work. 1 minute of buying things off the trading post when going for exotic gear, slightly more when going for ascended. Gimme a break.

So, since there will probably be followup patches for balance, do you expect a full respec option every single time?

@LostInDarkness.5460 said:@Cyninja.2954" Please send any of your extra gold my way since you have so much. LOL

Nah, given you will likely quit the game since this is such a huge issue for you, I'd rather send it to someone who'd remain active. If you don't quit, what are you complaining about?

@Rasimir.6239 said:Giving people an instant way of adapting their characters/equipment to the reworked skills and traits cuts out a major part of the benefit of the balance update, to the point of making the investment of developing the whole thing useless.And here i thought that the main benefit of making the investment into balance updates was to keep the classes balanced. Silly me.

Let's face it: one of the main reasons ANet has to even do balance changes is to keep people busy and playing the game, not only by giving them incentive to learn and adapt to the new skill balance, but also by giving them incentive to go after new equipment that better suits the newly balanced skills and traits.Ironically, it's one of the reasons why i play less now. At some point the changes to my builds happened so often, that i started lagging behind. It was not just about gear, mind you - even though there was a point where playing catchup with chrono builds would cost you a fortune. Keeping current wih rotations however was so painful, that eventually i just started to give up on playing some classes in more demanding content modes. Ultimately, it was one of two main factors (the other one being social) that resulted in me abandoning said more demanding content modes completely.So, as far as I am concerned, Anet has definitely did a great job in keeping me playing the game....oh wait.

I still do not see a reason for free respeccing. I just disagree with the idea that balancing stuff just so people have to regear/relearn their classes is a good idea. It isn't. Not in GW2 anyway - the game that attracts people that dislike regearing.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@LostInDarkness.5460 said:@Cyninja.2954" Please send any of your extra gold my way since you have so much. LOL

Nah, given you will likely quit the game since this is such a huge issue for you, I'd rather send it to someone who'd remain active. If you don't quit, what are you complaining about?

Well, you can always send it to me! ... Except I already have enough gold and materials to stat-swap all my ascended sets. If only I could do the same with trinkets.

Edit: To go further with my last statement: I would think expanded the current swap system to included trinkets would be a good thing, between the additional convenience and the additional value for jewelers.

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

Well, you can always send it to me! ... Except I already have enough gold and materials to stat-swap all my ascended sets. If only I could do the same with trinkets.

Yeah, it does make the Bloodstone trinkets rather useful (I haven't opted to get them myself on many characters, or any at all tbh as full set). At least the new Bjora map throws map resource at players. It's literally 1 free trinket per day of just opening some chest (amulet and accessory only though).

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Meanwhile, I am sitting here in wvw with my "non metabattle meta build", getting more kills than ever, getting the job done, like i used to... The more you know

No no no, you are doing it wrong. The true meta game is coming to the forums and complain. /s

On a more serious note, I've been enjoying the WvW shake up a lot myself too.

@Ultramex.1506 said:

@"Rasimir.6239" said:Let's face it: one of the main reasons ANet has to even do balance changes is to keep people busy and playing the game, not only by giving them incentive to learn and adapt to the new skill balance, but also by giving them incentive to go after new equipment that better suits the newly balanced skills and traits.

Giving people an instant way of adapting their characters/equipment to the reworked skills and traits cuts out a major part of the benefit of the balance update, to the point of making the investment of developing the whole thing useless.

You are not playing a static single player game, but an online game that changes and evolves. There is no such thing as a finished character, since updates always have the chance of changing stuff you've gotten used to. Adapt to it, either by accepting that your equipment is not the theoretical best for whatever you plan to play (but is still plenty good enough to keep the whole game easily playable for you), or by going out and getting new equipment if what you have no longer satisfies you after the update.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that the game will continue to change and evolve. There's no guarantee ever that what seems best now will always stay the best, but even if it no longer is the best, this game fortunately is playable in a lot of setups, and while you can't count on your best in slot equipment staying best in slot, you can count on the fact that it will still be good enough to be viable in all game modes.

If only those "PvP players" understand instead of quitting.

PvP players have no problem with gear.

WvW? That’s a different story.

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Meanwhile, I am sitting here in wvw with my "non metabattle meta build", getting more kills than ever, getting the job done, like i used to... The more you know

Despite having legendary for two armor classes, I haven’t done more than tweak the traits and upgrade components.

My weapons and armor are still running the same stats... And it isn’t condo.