Blurred Frenzy in retaliation

Quadox.7834

Formula for retaliation:(0.050 * Power) + 133Blurred frenzy hits eight times. Assuming a guardian is running berserker + lynx rune and has zero might, we get:((0.050 * 2375) + 133)*8 = 2014 damageNow let's look at blurred frenzy damage. Formula:Damage done = (Weapon strength) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient) / (target's Armor)Guardian has base armor 2167 without toughness. Weapon strength of sword is 922. The coefficient of blurred frenzy after patch is 0.128, so assuming we are also running berserker + lynx, we get:(922*2375*0.128/2167)*8 = 1035Or if we include critchance and critdamage, which has the following formula:Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 + Critical Chance * ( Critical Damage - 1 ) )We get:1035*(1+0.48*(2.1-1)) = 1581

TL;DRBlurred frenzy against a target with retaliation will deal much more damage to mesmer than to the opponent.

@Quadox.7834 said:Imagine hitting 3 targets and suicide into it while you just tried to have some evasion there... Especially relevant on wvw where retal hit fore more, spammable boon, yay.Now, dont forget about GS1, I'm sure mesmer does more damage to himself than to enemies as well, working as intended /sWe asked to give the same treatment to BF as they did to PW. Decrease amount of hits and preserve the same damage, zero ***ks given

The rev has something called "Vengeful Hammers". Wanna calculate that through too?

Retaliation is a counter to professions that hit very often, like mesmers ,revs etc.While other classes have one strong attack (for example deadeye, Warrior GS F1), they can be countered with aegis.

those boons have their own uses

That's a hard question to answer, I think. With what retaliation is it either falls on the side of being useless, or OP. Personally I think this is fine for a couple reasons.

1. Blurred frenzy is a 2 in 1 skill (defensive and offensive) so it shouldn't do a ton of damage really.
  2. Retaliation is only really strong against multi-hit attacks so that already narrows its usefulness.
  3. You always have the option to watch your opponents boons and wait out retaliation or corrupt/strip it. If you can't do that then just don't hit with a bunch of multi hit attacks.

That being said I do think it should have some limitations.

1. Retaliation should only be able available from your own skills. No applying retal to others
  2. You should be limited to only taking 1 source of retaliation damage. (If you attack two+ people with retaliation, you only get damaged as if you were attacking a single person with retaliation).

@"Zexanima.7851" said:That's a hard question to answer, I think. With what retaliation is it either falls on the side of being useless, or OP. Personally I think this is fine for a couple reasons.

1. Blurred frenzy is a 2 in 1 skill (defensive and offensive) so it shouldn't do a ton of damage really.
  2. Retaliation is only really strong against multi-hit attacks so that already narrows its usefulness.
  3. You always have the option to watch your opponents boons and wait out retaliation or corrupt/strip it. If you can't do that then just don't hit with a bunch of multi hit attacks.

1. Retaliation should only be able available from your own skills. No applying retal to others
  2. You should be limited to only taking 1 source of retaliation damage. (If you attack two+ people with retaliation, you only get damaged as if you were attacking a single person with retaliation).
  1. Do you really think blurred frenzy is balanced because it is a "2-in-1 skill"? Then compare it to something like axe 3 "axes of symmetry", which does 25% more damage than blurred frenzy, inflicts 3-6 confusion, with 1 hit (meaning less retaliation dmg), evades for 0.75 seconds (vs blurred at 1 second), while also retargeting clones, breaks target, teleports you, has longer range, with just 5 seconds more cooldown.
  2. In 2017 they reduced number of hits of pistol whip from 8 to 4 while retaining damage, why not simply do this to BF?

@Quadox.7834 said:

@"Zexanima.7851" said:That's a hard question to answer, I think. With what retaliation is it either falls on the side of being useless, or OP. Personally I think this is fine for a couple reasons.

1. Do you really think blurred frenzy is balanced because it is a "2-in-1 skill"? Then compare it to something like axe 3 "axes of symmetry", which does 25% more damage than blurred frenzy, inflicts 3-6 confusion, with 1 hit (meaning less retaliation dmg), evades for 0.75 seconds (vs blurred at 1 second), while also retargeting clones, breaks target, teleports you, has longer range, with just 5 seconds more cooldown.

This sounds like expansion power creep. Instead of buffing stuff to as strong as expansion skills, they need to nerf expansion related skills that overshadow core ones.

1. In 2017 they reduced number of hits of pistol whip from 8 to 4 while retaining damage, why not simply do this to BF?

They probably shouldn't have done this tbh. PW is a good example of something that should be weak to retaliation.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:That's a hard question to answer, I think. With what retaliation is it either falls on the side of being useless, or OP. Personally I think this is fine for a couple reasons.

This sounds like expansion power creep. Instead of buffing stuff to as strong as expansion skills, they need to nerf expansion related skills that overshadow core ones.
  1. In 2017 they reduced number of hits of pistol whip from 8 to 4 while retaining damage, why not simply do this to BF?

They probably shouldn't have done this tbh. PW is a good example of something that should be weak to retaliation.

PW damage output was insanely higher than retal could ever hit him. BF damage was always low and stationary and hence why its evasion duration was longer(still took tons of retal damage). In attempt to nerf mirage evasion without touching mirage they ruined weapon and vigor access for the entire class, magnificent decision /s

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:That's a hard question to answer, I think. With what retaliation is it either falls on the side of being useless, or OP. Personally I think this is fine for a couple reasons.

1. I'm not asking for blurred frenzy to be powercrept to pof levels, I'm asking for it to not deal 0 dmg. This has nothing to do with expansions, since BF did not do 0 dmg in core guild wars. The skill was infinitely stronger back in 2012 so perhaps you should change your stupid comment to say "that sounds like vanilla powercreep". It would be more accurate.

But fine, by your "2-in-1" logic, let's remove evade from blurred frenzy and make it deal actual good damage instead. That would be a big improvement. Thanks for your input.

@Odik.4587 said:

PW damage output was insanely higher than retal could ever hit him. BF damage was always low and stationary and hence why its evasion duration was longer(still took tons of retal damage). In attempt to nerf mirage evasion without touching mirage they ruined weapon and vigor access for the entire class, magnificent decision /s

I think BF is a good example of what retal should be strong against and things like PW should be adjusted match. PW is just an overloaded skill imho. I get the frustration of basically melting youself but at the same time it's a very avoidable situation.

@Quadox.7834 said:

1. I'm not asking for blurred frenzy to be powercrept to pof levels, I'm asking for it to not deal 0 dmg. This has nothing to do with expansions, since BF did not do 0 dmg in core guild wars. The skill was infinitely stronger back in 2012 so perhaps you should change your stupid comment to say "that sounds like vanilla powercreep". It would be more accurate.

Whoa dude, no need for insults. You asked an opinionated question and I gave you my opinion and my reasoning for it. Retal hasn't changed much much since release, having actually been slightly nerfed. They changed BF specifically to be affected by retal. That means retal was meant to counter this specific kind of attack. Everything needs to have its counters. If something has no counter play then that's bad design.

But fine, by your "2-in-1" logic, let's remove evade from blurred frenzy and make it deal actual good damage instead. That would be a big improvement. Thanks for your input.

I think its fine like it is. It still has tons of uses both defensive and offensive. Just because you can occasionally be countered by retal which is suppose to counter it I dont think is a good reason to change the skill.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

Whoa dude, no need for insults. You asked an opinionated question and I gave you my opinion and my reasoning for it. Retal hasn't changed much much since release, having actually been slightly nerfed. They changed BF
specifically
to be affected by retal. That means retal was meant to counter this specific kind of attack. Everything needs to have its counters. If something has no counter play then that's bad design.
  1. Stop being a fragile snowflake.
  2. I refuted your statement about "expansion powercreep. In reality the skill was far stronger in vanilla as I have described. We are not talking about some broken pof skill, we are talking about a bad core skill which is currently worse than at any point in vanilla.

I think its fine like it is. It still has tons of uses both defensive and offensive. Just because you can occasionally be countered by retal which is suppose to counter it I dont think is a good reason to change the skill.
  1. Nah, blurred frenzy is clearly too strong, they should remove the damage portion entirely from this obviously overpowered powercrept skill. Sarcastic of course, but it would still be an improvement vs ele, guard among others.
  2. I know
    you
    think that it is a good skill and has "tons of uses", that doesn't change the fact that you are wrong.

@Quadox.7834 said:

Whoa dude, no need for insults. You asked an opinionated question and I gave you my opinion and my reasoning for it. Retal hasn't changed much much since release, having actually been slightly nerfed. They changed BF
specifically
to be affected by retal. That means retal was meant to counter this specific kind of attack. Everything needs to have its counters. If something has no counter play then that's bad design.

Calling someone a snowflake doesn't make you're being toxic acceptable.

1. I refuted your statement about "expansion powercreep. In reality the skill was far stronger in vanilla as I have described. We are not talking about some broken pof skill, we are talking about a bad core skill which is currently worse than at any point in vanilla.

You compared it to a PoF skill and I was saying it's not that BF was so much worse as much as PoF powercreep is making other things a lot better.

1. Nah, blurred frenzy is clearly too strong, they should remove the damage portion entirely from this obviously overpowered powercrept skill. Sarcastic of course, but it would still be an improvement vs ele, guard among others.
  2. I know
    you
    think that it is a good skill and has "tons of uses", that doesn't change the fact that you are wrong.

How does it not have uses? It allows you to use it to pressure and evade damage. It's not a lot of damage and it's not a long evade but you have the choice to use it for one reason or the other or both. It use to be "stronger" because everything else was weaker. If its really that bad then don't use. Not every weapon on every profession is always going to be great.

The existence of retaliation is fine in principle for punishing multi-hit skills, but it's unfortunately just one of those boons that mostly just "happens" and rarely something actively applied in anticipation.

Honestly, when someone kills themselves to retaliation I have on myself, it's just a case of serendipity rather than me ever being all "I'll apply this neat boon to punish something I think is about to occur!".

It's implementation in the game has always been a bit daft and yeah, Blurred Frenzy should probably be changed to fewer hits to deal with the daftness.

@"Simonoly.4352" said:The existence of retaliation is fine in principle for punishing multi-hit skills, but it's unfortunately just one of those boons that mostly just "happens" and rarely something actively applied in anticipation.

Honestly, when someone kills themselves to retaliation I have on myself, it's just a case of serendipity rather than me ever being all "I'll apply this neat boon to punish something I think is about to occur!".

It's implementation in the game has always been a bit daft and yeah, Blurred Frenzy should probably be changed to fewer hits to deal with the daftness.

Exactly right, it's not the case of a guard player going "hey, ill use retal and purpsefully tank this blurred frenzy", like some sort of multi-hit equivalent of reflect. It would be interesting if that were the case but is more of a passive ticking dps, like a stack of confusion. And since it hasn't been nerfed along with the majority of power skills in the game, that leaves it comparatively strong.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

specifically

Calling someone a snowflake doesn't make you're being toxic acceptable.Faux-sensitivity.
  1. I refuted your statement about "expansion powercreep. In reality the skill was far stronger in vanilla as I have described. We are not talking about some broken pof skill, we are talking about a bad core skill which is currently worse than at any point in vanilla.

You compared it to a PoF skill and I was saying it's not that BF was so much worse as much as PoF powercreep is making other things a lot better.

2. I know
    you

How does it not have uses? It allows you to use it to pressure and evade damage. It's not a lot of damage and it's not a long evade but you have the choice to use it for one reason or the other or both. It use to be "stronger" because everything else was weaker. If its really that bad then don't use.
  1. Yes of course it has uses.
  2. No, it used to be stronger becase it was stronger. It has been nerfed multiple times. And I'm one of the most ardent complainers/critics of expansion powercreep but fact is that power shtter mesmer used to do far more damage than it does now, completely disregarding other classes' power level.Not every weapon on every profession is always going to be great.

It is the retal interaction which is questionable.