GW2 - Cantha Expansion

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:Also: 'Yay! Another Cantha thread...'

Yeah, at this point, it's a very dead meme.

If we're EVER going to Cantha, people, which is doubtful, then Anet will let us know about it when the time is right. Until then, creaming your pants every time a new expansion is even mentioned, by people other than Anet, is not going to make you feel better. It'll just make you bitter when nothing happens. Be like us SAB fans when it comes to World 3: expect nothing, thus you don't get disappointed. If it comes, then you can get excited about it. Until then, your dreams will remain just that, dreams.

The fake trailer looks cool, but honestly we got enough human focus in PoF. I'd rather we go to somewhere that's more focused on other races in the future. Not necessarily a playable race... Just not more human stuff, they're easily the most boring race in the game.

@Lini.2698 said:The fake trailer looks cool, but honestly we got enough human focus in PoF. I'd rather we go to somewhere that's more focused on other races in the future. Not necessarily a playable race... Just not more human stuff, they're easily the most boring race in the game.

Well cantha is all about freedom fight for all races since avicaras, tengus, and other speciemens were defeated or droved outside the continent.

Actually the avicara clan I lions arch is cantha native, that zone will open as introduction to cantha as i imagine they will start to recover their old areas or help the player.

Cantha is more than about Luxons and kurzixk that where defeated long time ago by some cantha ln emperor, it’s about every specimen returning to their land and fight for freedom.

About cantha in gw2... its way to soooon for it.

As Elric stated there is something to be said about Cantha's very different and unique environments: an enormous sprawling urban center, a a forest of giant stone trees with mansions and cathedrals carved into them, and a sea frozen into jade. Tyria and Elona could be seen as kind of plain and repetitive in comparison.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@SkyCakeLight.3750 said:I wasn't a huge fan of Cantha and wouldn't want an expansion based on it. Don't think Cantha is bad or anything. Would rather something new.

New sucks.

Remake old stuff is better.

Ask Hollywood and Nintendo

That's highly subjective. I don't enjoy pretty much anything that comes out of Hollywood because of the amount of re-makes. It's like they don't have any imagination and I get tired of the same ol' things.

With the track record around here, those who keep pining for Cantha -- be careful what you wish for. I'd wager that you will be quite disappointed should it actually happen.

I don't really want to revisit the lowest point of the franchise. Terrible/messed up lore, bad dialogue, laughable, barely realized cultures (the amount of time you spend with the Luxons/kurzicks is very limited to understand them), a horrible villain with bad motivation and even worse story ( that was retconned heavily in Nightfall), badly written characters like Togo.

It had variety of locales and some pretty areas. The gameplay was solid but that won't translate to GW2. The rest is nostalgia, and how you filled the glaring gaps in the story/lore with your imagination.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@SkyCakeLight.3750 said:I wasn't a huge fan of Cantha and wouldn't want an expansion based on it. Don't think Cantha is bad or anything. Would rather something new.

New sucks.

Remake old stuff is better.

Ask Hollywood and Nintendo

That's highly subjective. I don't enjoy pretty much anything that comes out of Hollywood because of the amount of re-makes. It's like they don't have any imagination and I get tired of the same ol' things.

With the track record around here, those who keep pining for Cantha -- be careful what you wish for. I'd wager that you will be quite disappointed should it actually happen.

Well, I would argue that the issue of poor and unimaginative writing goes SOOOOOOOO much farther and deeper than just the remakes of movies and tv shows but instead is pervasive throughout all entertainment media, including video games. As such I myself don't think Anet would really do any better at the level of story telling quality if they took us to Cantha or made up a new region all together. I would again like to emphasize that we would get access to some really different areas, relative to what's been seen in GW2, and that the 'physical' world we play in is just as if not more important than the story.

@zityz.6089 said:If we ever do, it won't be until the dragon problems are solved. Pointless to go traveling to another continent when you got dragon frat boys causing trouble in your neighborhood.

No, they would have to tie the elder dragons into a Cantha expansion in someway. I don't believe Guild Wars 2's narrative will ever be about a post- elder dragon world, they're just too tied into the core of GW2's story and themes.