GW2 - Cantha Expansion

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL --Cantha . Nah we don't want it. We don't want anywhere we have been before. You only want it because of the nostalgia.Saga/Eye of the north stuff. - yeah we are going to the Norm lands! wow the nostalgia !Really some of you need to stop being so selfish.

With the 250 year time jump between GW1 -> GW2, anything Cantha-related will probably not resemble what people remember, so there would not be any nostalgia to be had. I would expect complaints because Cantha wouldn't be what it once was, which is what (seemingly) everybody who wants Cantha is looking for. I'd rather ANet not waste resources in that direction.

@Dami.5046 said:LOL --Cantha . Nah we don't want it. We don't want anywhere we have been before. You only want it because of the nostalgia.Saga/Eye of the north stuff. - yeah we are going to the Norm lands! wow the nostalgia !Really some of you need to stop being so selfish.

Norn stuff? more like charr time with norn as the joke again. What I wouldn't give to have a proper norn story and not this dumpster-fire they call a plot with rytlocks brat, and daddy issues paired with edgy scar from the lion king. As a norn I just want to wipe the charr out~ Not like it would hurt tyria one bit.... all they do is destroy everything anyhow.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Dami.5046 said:LOL --Cantha . Nah we don't want it. We don't want anywhere we have been before. You only want it because of the nostalgia.Saga/Eye of the north stuff. - yeah we are going to the Norm lands! wow the nostalgia !Really some of you need to stop being so selfish.

Norn stuff? more like charr time with norn as the joke again. What I wouldn't give to have a proper norn story and not this dumpster-fire they call a plot with rytlocks brat, and daddy issues paired with edgy scar from the lion king. As a norn I just want to wipe the charr out~ Not like it would hurt tyria one bit.... all they do is destroy everything anyhow.

I don't think they should of made humans and charr 'friends' myself and still have that on going lore but that's nothing to do with Cantha.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

@zityz.6089 said:If we ever do, it won't be until the dragon problems are solved. Pointless to go traveling to another continent when you got dragon frat boys causing trouble in your neighborhood.

There's literally a dragon that is living in the ocean right now without a name... They can easily tie that Elder Dragon to Cantha

As far as I know, this dragon is already tied to Cantha. He is blocking the sea ways to that continent and probably the reason why Cantha went into isolation again.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@zityz.6089 said:If we ever do, it won't be until the dragon problems are solved. Pointless to go traveling to another continent when you got dragon frat boys causing trouble in your neighborhood.

There's literally a dragon that is living in the ocean right now without a name... They can easily tie that Elder Dragon to Cantha

As far as I know, this dragon is already tied to Cantha. He is blocking the sea ways to that continent and probably the reason why Cantha went into isolation again.

That was Zhaitan. He had fleets forming a blockade between Tyria and Cantha, the DSD so far has had no effect aside from forcing races out of the depths of the oceans(Krait, Quaggans, and Largos.)

on topic,

the Cantha of today will look nothing like the Cantha of GW1, large portions of the city, will be gone including most of the Shing Jea Islands due to the rising of Orr, which we know sank the Battle Islands. The Jade sea is once more a sea, both the Kurziks and Luxons have been forced to be part of the Empire, add to that the empire itself is extremely xenophobic which is a huge problem given that 4 out of 5 races wouldnt be allowed to even entire the country and then -ALL- races aside from humans have been forced out of Cantha or killed.

Give me new locations over a crowded, disgusting looking city please the rose tinted glasses is strong here.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"zityz.6089" said:If we ever do, it won't be until the dragon problems are solved. Pointless to go traveling to another continent when you got dragon frat boys causing trouble in your neighborhood.

That was Zhaitan. He had fleets forming a blockade between Tyria and Cantha, the DSD so far has had no effect aside from forcing races out of the depths of the oceans(Krait, Quaggans, and Largos.)

on topic,

the Cantha of today will look nothing like the Cantha of GW1, large portions of the city, will be gone including most of the Shing Jea Islands due to the rising of Orr, which we know sank the Battle Islands. The Jade sea is once more a sea, both the Kurziks and Luxons have been forced to be part of the Empire, add to that the empire itself is extremely xenophobic which is a huge problem given that 4 out of 5 races wouldnt be allowed to even entire the country and then -ALL- races aside from humans have been forced out of Cantha or killed.

Give me new locations over a crowded, disgusting looking city please the rose tinted glasses is strong here.

We don't know how long it would take for the Jade Sea to liquefy again, if we ever did get to see the Jade Sea again it would likely (baring a 'derp' from Anet) be part way through the process, a mix of sea water and giant chunks of jade. An equivalent should go for Echovald Forest.There is also no reason for Shing Jea to be submerged when Istan, which is much closer to Orr, was not (plus Shing Jea is very mountainous while Istan barely was above sea level in some places). Similarly, while the coastline around Kaineng will be different than in the past, the city not going to be missing huge swaths to the risen sea level.As for rose tinted glasses....iB5xwIJ.gif

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@"zityz.6089" said:If we ever do, it won't be until the dragon problems are solved. Pointless to go traveling to another continent when you got dragon frat boys causing trouble in your neighborhood.

on topic,

We don't know how long it would take for the Jade Sea to liquefy again, if we ever did get to see the Jade Sea again it would likely (baring a 'kitten' from Anet) be part way through the process, a mix of sea water and giant chunks of jade. An equivalent should go for Echovald Forest.There is also no reason for Shing Jea to be submerged when Istan, which is much closer to Orr, was not (plus Shing Jea is very mountainous while Istan barely was above sea level in some places). Similarly, while the coastline around Kaineng will be different than in the past, the city not going to be missing huge swaths to the risen sea level.As for rose tinted glasses....
iB5xwIJ.gif

Yes, it is an opinion. as is the opinion that Cantha was an amazing place to go to :)

I think anet has the ability to take us to lands weve never seen, the world of Tyria(not just the continent) is -massive- there are whole continents weve never been to, lets go to those first. i really am getting tired of going to places weve gone to before.

I don't think that it is rose tinted glasses, GW1 was just a much better game than GW2, and that might just be "my opinion man" but the game play was great, so many awesome characters, environments and the classes felt unique in their identities. Mesmer, assassin, and ritualist all had unique and interesting ways they were played. And you CHOOSE your skills. Who could forget the amazing characters, Brother Menhlo and Master Togo in Factions, Gwen and her crusade in the EOTN, and Kormir and her rampant stupidity in her fight against Abbadon. Giant sea turtles used for battle across a sea turned to jade.

What do we have now, 7 classes that provide the same roles, same boons, same mechanics, with standardized armor and health. And the same copypasted story about "coming together" to fight one generic evil baddie dragon who just "wants to destroy" everything, and killing them with tanks, airships, cannons, and portals.

@"Metalripper.5406" said:I don't think that it is rose tinted glasses, GW1 was just a much better game than GW2, and that might just be "my opinion man" but the game play was great, so many awesome characters, environments and the classes felt unique in their identities. Mesmer, assassin, and ritualist all had unique and interesting ways they were played. And you CHOOSE your skills. Who could forget the amazing characters, Brother Menhlo and Master Togo in Factions, Gwen and her crusade in the EOTN, and Kormir and her rampant stupidity in her fight against Abbadon. Giant sea turtles used for battle across a sea turned to jade.

What do we have now, 7 classes that provide the same roles, same boons, same mechanics, with standardized armor and health. And the same copypasted story about "coming together" to fight one generic evil baddie dragon who just "wants to destroy" everything, and killing them with tanks, airships, cannons, and portals.

What are the 2 Professions that don't provide the same roles, etc.?

@"Metalripper.5406" said:Who could forget the amazing characters, Brother Menhlo and Master Togo in Factions

I unfortunately can't forget those two... The worst written characters in the entire franchise. Trahearne has more of a personality and character than either of those, and that says something because I didn't like Trahearne.

Gwen and her crusade in the EOTN

Yep I liked Gwen too, I liked a lot of characters in Guild Wars 1, just outside Factions, that only got good in Winds of Change. Minister Reiko was a very good villain imo, much better than any other villain in Guild Wars 1

What do we have now, 7 classes that provide the same roles, same boons, same mechanics, with standardized armor and health.

We have 9 classes I'm not sure where you got that number 7. I'm looking at a "healing" role for a Thief... since they all provide the same roles, or a way for my Elementalist to provide the Alacrity boon since they all provide the same boons. Same mechanics is weird, I can't find shatter skills on the Warrior, a pet on the Guardian, or Attunements on my Engineer. Also I think you missed something with standardized armor and health because in Guild Wars 2 health varies... it was the same in Guild Wars 1 though so not sure what you are talking about there. Maybe you confused the two games?

And the same copypasted story about "coming together" to fight one generic evil baddie dragon who just "wants to destroy" everything, and killing them with tanks, airships, cannons, and portals.

And the story of "coming together" to fight the generic evil ghost person who wants to destroy everything is so much better (that was needlessly changed later). Even worse when you remember -how- you brought together the Kurzicks and the Luxons against Shiro. Or maybe the fight against the generic evil god person who wants to destroy everything was to your liking?

I think you are all missing the point.Cantha wouldn't be the same as it was 250+ years ago. Of course it wouldn't. There would be new areas there now for example. I wouldn't want it to be a carbon copy of the game in GW's time. I want to see how it would of changed.
We are already going to places we have been before in the Saga we have now.To Recap.Saying you would rather go some place new when the game is still taking us to places we had in GW and not complain about that, is making the reason we shouldn't go to cantha null and void.Saying Cantha would be different and people would be 'disappointed' is indeed null and void.

But like I said, I'm not fussed about season one being playable, but they 'listened' worked on getting it in game and it's coming. I haven't made thread and thread, post after post saying how much I don't want it, but i bet alot here are happy we are getting content we have had before, right? I mean we had something quite similar in GW to the 'visions of the past' and people are happy about that.Maybe they will make Cantha a Saga too (hahahahha belly laugh) so you get it for free, so I'm guessing you would just not bother logging in right, just to prove a point?My final point is, if you like playing a game sometimes you will like things and some times you won't. Not really fair to gang up on people who what this in Gw2, when they could quite easily do Cantha and get you your new land as well.

@"kharmin.7683" said:So ... if Cantha wouldn't be like it was 250 years ago, it would be completely new.

Because it doesn't have to be one of those two extremes? It doesn't have to be either a slavish reproduction of the old game, or Mars. It's a big continent, there's plenty of room for variety. We could get places we've seen that now look completely different, places we've seen than still resemble the past, places that are in transition, and of course places that are completely new because we actually haven't seen the majority of the land mass.

Why not just go to someplace completely new, then?

Sure, but compared to the lands of "Wetland" and "Not Real", Cantha has a stronger foundation for the narrative and distinctive cultural aesthetics for weapons/armor/skills from the Canthans/Luxons/Kurzicks/Tengu/Naga/Yeti/Wardens etc. Maybe the aesthetic isn't for you, but it might be for many others and odds are Cantha is our only chance at it.

@hatsamu.4327 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:So ... if Cantha wouldn't be like it was 250 years ago, it would be completely new.

Because it doesn't have to be one of those two extremes? It doesn't have to be either a slavish reproduction of the old game, or Mars. It's a big continent, there's plenty of room for variety. We could get places we've seen that now look completely different, places we've seen than still resemble the past, places that are in transition, and of course places that are completely new because we actually haven't seen the majority of the land mass.

Why not just go to someplace completely new, then?

Sure, but compared to the lands of "Wetland" and "Not Real", Cantha has a stronger foundation for the narrative and distinctive cultural aesthetics for weapons/armor/skills from the Canthans/Luxons/Kurzicks/Tengu/Naga/Yeti/Wardens etc. Maybe the aesthetic isn't for you, but it might be for many others and odds are Cantha is our only chance at it.

This here.Cantha already had a gigantic city for it's time in GW1 with Kaineng. I would love to see how Kaineng has developed after 250 years, especially with all the new technology available.

Same goes for other stuff. I loved being a Luxon back in GW1 and maybe this clan could have survived in some way, but still changed alot? For example, if the Jade sea really is no more, maybe they have adapted and became a society with under water cities and going on raids with submarines, for example?

Cantha just has so much potential for cool stuff, while still having some ties lorewise to the things we know from back then.

Honestly i would like cantha but completely different from what we're used to, something more along the lines of neon tokyo.they already excluded themselves from the rest of the world, maybe they advanced way further then the rest of the world because they have no outside interference.what if some exiled (but not evil) asura got there and advanced kaineng city further then what any cantha citizen could ever do, now they have it quite luxurious with it's own modern problems. (like a yakuza kind of gang and an ancient dragon of their own controlling the underworld)

@Kodama.6453 said:

Same goes for other stuff. I loved being a Luxon back in GW1 and maybe this clan could have survived in some way, but still changed alot? For example, if the Jade sea really is no more, maybe they have adapted and became a society with under water cities and going on raids with submarines, for example?

The empire forced both factions to become part of the empire utterly absorbed them, this is stated in the lore page of GW2.

Its nice and all to have such ideas but unless anet changes the lore(which is possible but unlikely, especially given how much they need that Asian market.) what theyve put out about the events in Cantha in between GW1 and GW2 probably remains set in stone. They had to get rid of the entire Canthan district in Divinitys reach because of it(the crater) and instead of putting it in the game later, they turned it into an Arena for a yearly event.

@Dante.1763 said:

The empire forced both factions to become part of the empire utterly absorbed them, this is stated in the lore page of GW2.

Its nice and all to have such ideas but unless anet changes the lore(which is possible but unlikely, especially given how much they need that Asian market.) what theyve put out about the events in Cantha in between GW1 and GW2 probably remains set in stone. They had to get rid of the entire Canthan district in Divinitys reach because of it(the crater) and instead of putting it in the game later, they turned it into an Arena for a yearly event.

The Luxons and Kurzicks maintaining their respective cultures in secret is a certainly possible, actually its arguably probable as it would be the logical reaction to the Empire trying to absorb the Factions. Real world history has had numerous examples, plus it would be a great plot point for us to help the Faction regain their freedom.

@sorudo.9054 said:Honestly i would like cantha but completely different from what we're used to, something more along the lines of neon tokyo.they already excluded themselves from the rest of the world, maybe they advanced way further then the rest of the world because they have no outside interference.what if some exiled (but not evil) asura got there and advanced kaineng city further then what any cantha citizen could ever do, now they have it quite luxurious with it's own modern problems. (like a yakuza kind of gang and an ancient dragon of their own controlling the underworld)

Like that idea, still get the sentimental hit, but new as well. Obviously the sprawling city would need to be an important feature. Flying would need to be banned in the city ofc, as it would destroy that maze like aspect. City has grown taller over the centuries and gliding could be really cool.

Cantha is a tricky subject, you know. By lore, it was a highly traditional kind of country, which went to an extent of expelling every races except of humans from within their borders. And it also was a distinctively asian country.

Now, taking into account amount of So-Just-Whining crap GW2 contains, how do you suggest to go about depicting a country like that, if such DLC would be issued? Do you want Anet to show how bad Cantha was, expelling all these people, and see stories of "liberal" rebellions inside its borders? )) Quite a huge chunk of asian population on the planet Earth won't be happy about it. Or do you want them to show how good Cantha rulers were, doing all this stuff, and get an uproar all around the internet that GW2 now literally stays for every bad, bad "-ism" out there? ))

These days you're only allowed to talk crap about "evil" white people, yellow people is a touchy subject (see the whole lot of Blizzard / China recent controversies, for example) ;) Especially with NCSOFT, asian company, owning Anet now ;)