I don't trust Ryland

Michram.6853

Manipulative, liar, ruthless, ready to take any command, even helping Bangar to kill Commander, no respect to his mother or father whatsoever. And I'm pretty sure he killed Almorra!

We are going to play as Ryland, and we will kill Almorra from his POV. Yikes...

Respect for parents is an iffy thing even among humans, and the Charr's fahrar social structure means that cubs are often distant from their parents even at the best of times. Dialogue in the Grothmar and Bjora stories makes it clear that Rytlock is Ryland's biological male parent, but Bangar is his "dad". Ryland probably has at least a little respect for Crecia, but if I were her, I wouldn't bank on it being enough to bet her life.

Crecia seems more ready that Rytlock at this point to face the reality of fighting Ryland, which I think is attributable to their different paths in life. Crecia apparently has mostly remained among the Charr, while Rytlock has been out and about the world and absorbed influences from the other members of Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch -- particularly human influence from Logan, though he'd never willingly admit it.

Overall, I think the story direction is pretty obvious. We're probably going to see Ryland kill Crecia, since she's the side character and Anet likes killing off female NPCs (Eir, Demmi, Almorra, Zojja might as well be...) and then we have to help Rytlock kill Ryland because he can't bring himself do the deed.

Hey, I predict it was that bastard Bangar who killed Almorra. Ryland maybe witnessed it, same as when Bangar shot Commander. I think that Ryland is not ruthless, hes prolly just brainwashed by charr machinery. It may change though when he witnesses the friction among the charr that Bangar have caused. We will see soon though :)p.s was just a rude word for a charr changed to a kitten?, good one XD <3

@"Jimbru.6014" said:Respect for parents is an iffy thing even among humans, and the Charr's fahrar social structure means that cubs are often distant from their parents even at the best of times. Dialogue in the Grothmar and Bjora stories makes it clear that Rytlock is Ryland's biological male parent, but Bangar is his "dad". Ryland probably has at least a little respect for Crecia, but if I were her, I wouldn't bank on it being enough to bet her life.

Crecia seems more ready to face the reality of fighting Ryland than Rytlock at this point, which I think is attributable to their different paths in life. Crecia apparently has mostly remained among the Charr, while Rytlock has been out and about the world and absorbed influences from the other members of Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch -- particularly human influence from Logan, though he'd never willingly admit it.

Overall, I think the story direction is pretty obvious. We're probably going to see Ryland kill Crecia, since she's the side character and Anet likes killing off female NPCs (Eir, Demmi, Almorra, Zojja might as well be...) and then we have to help Rytlock kill Ryland because he can't bring himself do the deed.

I think this story is meant to show the dark side of the fahrar system. Charr cubs are taken and moulded into gears in the charr war machine. Familial ties are cut to ensure they fit properly into thier new roles. Ryland isn't Rytlock and Crecia's son anymore, he's a cog in Bangar's machine.

I doubt Crecia is going to die. She seems to be the brains of the outfit and the best candidate to be imperator after Bangar bites it. Ryland's fate is up in the air, he could stay loyal to Bangar to play up the tragedy side or he could see what Bangar really is and turn on him to play up the hope side.

@Yasai.3549 said:Ryland is gonna fight his dad a 100%.And either he's gonna die or Rythlock is gonna die, and the survivor continues on with the Commander.

I can smell it coming already.

Damn I hope not, that just screams cliched and generally subpar storytelling. I hope to God that Anet is smart enough not to do that.I think they are at least smart enough not to kill off another Destiny's Edge member, especially the one that arguably the most popular

Edit:

@Fjaeldmark.9043 said:I think this story is meant to show the dark side of the fahrar system. Charr cubs are taken and moulded into gears in the charr war machine. Familial ties are cut to ensure they fit properly into thier new roles. Ryland isn't Rytlock and Crecia's son anymore, he's a cog in Bangar's machine.Totally agree with you on that, honestly I'm not sure what genuinely -good- side there is to the fahrar system, surely you could make as strong and close-nit fighting (or working) units without completely tearing apart and erasing the nuclear family and the bonds therein. To think there are people that'd advocate for a similar system for real life when it doesn't quite seem to be working even fictionally. Don't most non-Legion charr, like the Olmakhan and the Lion's Arch charr, usually raise their own children as families instead? Makes you wonder how natural the warband system is to the charr as a species.

@Yasai.3549 said:Ryland is gonna fight his dad a 100%.And either he's gonna die or Rythlock is gonna die, and the survivor continues on with the Commander.

I also think either Rytlock or Ryland is going to die by the end of the Saga. Rytlock seems more likely though, very sadly, because his story seems to be over with Kralk, as Almorra's was and I really don't think Ryland would die in <1 season after being given so much attention and character buildup during the season itself.

The way I predict things going right now is: Bangar kills Rytlock, Ryland snaps out of his brainwashing and helps take down Bangar, and Ryland continues on with the Commander and DW to atone for his mistakes, while Crecia becomes the new Blood Legion Imperator.

Another way I could see it go is Bangar and Ryland go directly to Jormag, one or both get icebrooded, and we have to kill one or both of them.

@Poormany.4507 said:

I also think either Rytlock or Ryland is going to die by the end of the Saga. Rytlock seems more likely though, very sadly, because his story seems to be over with Kralk, as Almorra's was and I really don't think Ryland would die in <1 season after being given so much attention and character buildup during the season itself.

The way I predict things going right now is: Bangar kills Rytlock, Ryland snaps out of his brainwashing and helps take down Bangar, and Ryland continues on with the Commander and DW to atone for his mistakes, while Crecia becomes the new Blood Legion Imperator.

Another way I could see it go is Bangar and Ryland go directly to Jormag, one or both get icebrooded, and we have to kill one or both of them.

If Anet is dumb enough to kill off Rytlock and replace him with Ryland then they deserve every bit of scorn that gets heaped upon them.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

If Anet is dumb enough to kill off Rytlock and replace him with Ryland then they deserve every bit of scorn that gets heaped upon them.

Rytlock + Grecia definitely has a ton of potential and comedic relief packed into it. It'd be foolish to kill Rytlock off, since his interactions, imo, are some of the spiciest and most well-written stuff in the story at this point.

@Fjaeldmark.9043 said:

@"Jimbru.6014" said:Respect for parents is an iffy thing even among humans, and the Charr's fahrar social structure means that cubs are often distant from their parents even at the best of times. Dialogue in the Grothmar and Bjora stories makes it clear that Rytlock is Ryland's biological male parent, but Bangar is his "dad". Ryland probably has at least a little respect for Crecia, but if I were her, I wouldn't bank on it being enough to bet her life.

Crecia seems more ready to face the reality of fighting Ryland than Rytlock at this point, which I think is attributable to their different paths in life. Crecia apparently has mostly remained among the Charr, while Rytlock has been out and about the world and absorbed influences from the other members of Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch -- particularly human influence from Logan, though he'd never willingly admit it.

I think this story is meant to show the dark side of the fahrar system. Charr cubs are taken and moulded into gears in the charr war machine. Familial ties are cut to ensure they fit properly into thier new roles. Ryland isn't Rytlock and Crecia's son anymore, he's a cog in Bangar's machine.

I doubt Crecia is going to die. She seems to be the brains of the outfit and the best candidate to be imperator after Bangar bites it. Ryland's fate is up in the air, he could stay loyal to Bangar to play up the tragedy side or he could see what Bangar really is and turn on him to play up the hope side.

I would love to see Crecia take over; she's definitely the most qualified currently. I don't see that happening, though. There has always been an irrational bias in favor of Rytlock, both from the developers and a vocal portion of the community. (Just skim a few of the comments here and see how many of them can be summed up as "WOO RYTLOCK RULZ!). I feel that ultimately Rytlock will end up in some position of power even though he is not qualified for it, has never done anything to deserve it, and admittedly doesn't even want it. Why? Cuz shut up, that's why.

I don't see him getting killed by Ryland for the same reason.

@"Juillin.5361" said:I would love to see Crecia take over; she's definitely the most qualified currently. I don't see that happening, though. There has always been an irrational bias in favor of Rytlock, both from the developers and a vocal portion of the community. (Just skim a few of the comments here and see how many of them can be summed up as "WOO RYTLOCK RULZ!). I feel that ultimately Rytlock will end up in some position of power even though he is not qualified for it, has never done anything to deserve it, and admittedly doesn't even want it. Why? Cuz shut up, that's why.

I think people's love of Rytlock is exactly why he won't be imperator. Since if he becomes imperator then he's going to have to stay behind and run things. From a narrative point of view Crecia works perfectly as imperator. She enters the story, expands on Rytlock's backstory, gets enough development for people to like her and then steps out of the story when Anet wants to move on to something else because she has to stay behind and be imperator.

Charr culture has little to no family values lol

For most Charr their family is their Warband, biology has little to no importance to them.Rytlock is kind of a minority in this regard and it's only recently that he's even been openly giving a damn about his cubs.We never even knew he had any for most of the years we spent traveling with him, he has changed likely because of these travels and his relationships and exposure to so many other cultures and races.

Ryland would not share any of that experience.. in many ways he is a lot like the Rytlock we knew several years ago when Gw2 first released.

@Fjaeldmark.9043 said:

@"Juillin.5361" said:I would love to see Crecia take over; she's definitely the most qualified currently. I don't see that happening, though. There has always been an irrational bias in favor of Rytlock, both from the developers and a vocal portion of the community. (Just skim a few of the comments here and see how many of them can be summed up as "WOO RYTLOCK RULZ!). I feel that ultimately Rytlock will end up in some position of power even though he is not qualified for it, has never done anything to deserve it, and admittedly doesn't even want it. Why? Cuz shut up, that's why.

I think people's love of Rytlock is exactly why he won't be imperator. Since if he becomes imperator then he's going to have to stay behind and run things. From a narrative point of view Crecia works perfectly as imperator. She enters the story, expands on Rytlock's backstory, gets enough development for people to like her and then steps out of the story when Anet wants to move on to something else because she has to stay behind and be imperator.

And we've seen that she has credentials for actually running things and making decent decisions - there are a lot of hints that until now she's succeeded in being a moderating influence on Bangar, that forging the truce with Flame was largely her idea, and so on. Rytlock, on the other hand, may be a Tribune on paper, but he doesn't seem to have actually acted in that capacity since Sohothin got pulled into the Mists in season 2, and generally doesn't seem interested in gaining political power.

I actively resent the idea that anything that isn't traditionalist—and of what I have to assume is of American culture—is somehow evil. I mean, one can be as confederate and traditionalist as they want but there's a fine line between that and a fixated obsession with depicting a fictional race as evil. Just because the fahrar doesn't embody traditional family values doesn't mean that this is an examination of its lack of virtue, what it could be is an introspective examination of its depth serving to illustrate the nuances of such a complex system in an unbiased manner. Not everything need be—or indeed is—portrayed in such a perversely simplistic way.

This is a video game featuring fictional species, fictional societies, with fictional histories, lore, and traditions. It goes a little too far to assume negativity based upon something that one is drawing on from outside of the game. It's only a hop, skip, and a jump from calling the charr SJWs. We don't need that. I'd even posit that it'd be fair to expect better than that. It's incredibly toxic and harmful to the community to drench threads in negativity based upon something that's been drawn in from outside of the game. It can really wear one down to constantly see threads devolve into who's the most evil because some can't keep reality-focused perspectives of ethno-superiority out of a video game.

I see so much negativity aimed at the charr by this toxic, problematic contingent and I know of those who've actually left the game because they're sick of it. They loved the charr but they were just tired of having to deal with this. I know others who're on the verge of quitting and I'm among their number.

I honestly hope that it turns out that Almorra is fine and the her death was greatly exaggerated—Jormag's mind control et al. Just as I hope that it turns out that Bangar's behaviour was similarly influenced by Jormag and he has a face-heel turn at the end of the Icebrood Saga. Nothing would please me more than to see Bangar come out vocally against racism and prejudice because at this point I'm just really sick of this. I mean, just the other day I saw a thread about how the Olmakhan must be evil for shooting a Pact airship out of the sky to gut it and murder its crew, it couldn't possibly have been the Inquest living just next door who did that.

The negativity is out of hand and it comes up with everything related to the charr.

The thing is is that you don't see charr players claiming that the contemporary humans are evil—we don't—because that's not the kind of enjoyment we get out of the game. I think most players actually appreciate the Pact and the ongoing alliance of races. I'd love to see the dredge, tengu, and even the skritt included in that some day. As it stands, though... This is untenable. It's repugnant.

No, the fahrar system isn't evil, it's just a system. It's like any other system. It's complex. It doesn't need to be anything more than that. That's all it should be. Sadly, we can't just leave it at that whenever the charr are involved because they have to be scheming, Machiavellian, evil, and whatever else. Even when ArenaNet included the Olmakhan to beat this over the heads of those who persist with bringing this negativity into the game. They introduced the Olmakhan for that reason. It's clearly not enough, they need to do more.

As someone who's experienced bigotry and prejudice all my life I'd rather not see those toxic, horrible, disgusting views brought into a video game. The Pact races are the good guys in this setting. ArenaNet should take a stance that people need to get used to that or move along.

@Hypnowulf.7403 said:I actively resent the idea that anything that isn't traditionalist—and of what I have to assume is of American culture—is somehow evil. I mean, one can be as confederate and traditionalist as they want but there's a fine line between that and a fixated obsession with depicting a fictional race as evil. Just because the fahrar doesn't embody traditional family values doesn't mean that this is an examination of its lack of virtue, what it could be is an introspective examination of its depth serving to illustrate the nuances of such a complex system in an unbiased manner. Not everything need be—or indeed is—portrayed in such a perversely simplistic way.

This is a video game featuring fictional species, fictional societies, with fictional histories, lore, and traditions. It goes a little too far to assume negativity based upon something that one is drawing on from outside of the game. It's only a hop, skip, and a jump from calling the charr kitten. We don't need that. I'd even posit that it'd be fair to expect better than that. It's incredibly toxic and harmful to the community to drench threads in negativity based upon something that's been drawn in from outside of the game. It can really wear one down to constantly see threads devolve into who's the most evil because some can't keep reality-focused perspectives of ethno-superiority out of a video game.

I see so much negativity aimed at the charr by this toxic, problematic contingent and I know of those who've actually left the game because they're sick of it. They loved the charr but they were just tired of having to deal with this. I know others who're on the verge of quitting and I'm among their number.

I honestly hope that it turns out that Almorra is fine and the her death was greatly exaggerated—Jormag's mind control et al. Just as I hope that it turns out that Bangar's behaviour was similarly influenced by Jormag and he has a face-heel turn at the end of the Icebrood Saga. Nothing would please me more than to see Bangar come out vocally against racism and prejudice because at this point I'm just really sick of this. I mean, just the other day I saw a thread about how the Olmakhan must be evil for shooting a Pact airship out of the sky to gut it and murder its crew, it couldn't possibly have been the Inquest living just next door who did that.

The negativity is out of hand and it comes up with everything related to the charr.

The thing is is that you don't see charr players claiming that the contemporary humans are evil—we don't—because that's not the kind of enjoyment we get out of the game. I think most players actually appreciate the Pact and the ongoing alliance of races. I'd love to see the dredge, tengu, and even the skritt included in that some day. As it stands, though... This is untenable. It's repugnant.

No, the fahrar system isn't evil, it's just a system. It's like any other system. It's complex. It doesn't need to be anything more than that. That's all it should be. Sadly, we can't just leave it at that whenever the charr are involved because they have to be scheming, Machiavellian, evil, and whatever else. Even when ArenaNet included the Olmakhan to beat this over the heads of those who persist with bringing this negativity into the game. They introduced the Olmakhan for that reason. It's clearly not enough, they need to do more.

As someone who's experienced bigotry and prejudice all my life I'd rather not see those toxic, horrible, disgusting views brought into a video game. The Pact races are the good guys in this setting. ArenaNet should take a stance that people need to get used to that or move along.

Player opinions of the Charr are not helped by the fact that GW1 was entirely human focused from the player perspective, and Anet spent a frightening amount of time and effort creating a monster of in-game racism, making humans DESPISE the Charr to the point of attempted genocide. The opinions of old GW1 players are still colored by that heavy handed writing from Anet. I have an old GW1 friend who STILL talks about the Searing like it actually happened to him personally in reality instead of in the game, hating the Charr and obsessing about Ascalon to an extent that is genuinely disturbing. ANet has never been able to fully escape that trap they wrote themselves into, and I doubt they ever will.