How are people able to make legendaries?

@Comus.7365 said:

@Comus.7365 said:@"Cristalyan.5728" said:"Conclusion - you don't need (too much) gold. You need patience. You can complete the Frostfang in one year playing 30 minutes per day. With some sessions of extra time for map discovery. "

a 1 year commitment to a game.. hmm

i just started looking into crafting and leveled weaponsmithing up to 500 since i noticed i had unlocked some nice ascended recipes. when i was done leveling that i sat at less than 10 gold. looked up what the expected cost would be for 1 of those weapons (2.5k gold) and instantly lost interest.

MMOs are designed to be played long-term, for thousands of hours over several years. Some of us have been playing GW2 for over 7 years now and it's still a relative new comer compared to some games. Of course that won't appeal to everyone, but there's plenty of other games out there with shorter lifespans, or you can play an MMO and accept that there are some long-term goals which won't be practical to achieve, and that you'll miss whatever is released after you stop playing.

eh i feel this approach is just overkill. it's like play the game for years and you'll be able to get the thing you wanted passively(which by then you'll probably don't even want anymore) or shell out a lot of money to get it now.

but whatever.. i'll just stick to exotics.Its not an "approach". Its simply the way an MMO is played and there is a reason why all of them have "gemstores" one way or another... because people get impatient and shell out money.

We have played this game for soon 8 years now and people are up to 20,000+ hours (personally I am just barely approaching 10,000). We spend alot of time in GW2. Alot. But then again I've never spent so little money on other games in my life during these years. So dont think its all dedication - its also laziness because I'm hesistating to make any sort of investment in other games. I've already had brief stints with Archeage and ESO thinking they maybe could have matched GW2, but nope that was a waste of time.

If you dont want to spend so much time, there is always ascended items and boom you're top tier. Easy and fairly cheap nowadays. You dont need legendaries. Its convience and a longterm goal. Its not like we need the gold for many other things.

@Comus.7365 said:

@Comus.7365 said:@"Cristalyan.5728" said:"Conclusion - you don't need (too much) gold. You need patience. You can complete the Frostfang in one year playing 30 minutes per day. With some sessions of extra time for map discovery. "

a 1 year commitment to a game.. hmm

i just started looking into crafting and leveled weaponsmithing up to 500 since i noticed i had unlocked some nice ascended recipes. when i was done leveling that i sat at less than 10 gold. looked up what the expected cost would be for 1 of those weapons (2.5k gold) and instantly lost interest.

MMOs are designed to be played long-term, for thousands of hours over several years. Some of us have been playing GW2 for over 7 years now and it's still a relative new comer compared to some games. Of course that won't appeal to everyone, but there's plenty of other games out there with shorter lifespans, or you can play an MMO and accept that there are some long-term goals which won't be practical to achieve, and that you'll miss whatever is released after you stop playing.

eh i feel this approach is just overkill. it's like play the game for years and you'll be able to get the thing you wanted passively(which by then you'll probably don't even want anymore) or shell out a lot of money to get it now.

but whatever.. i'll just stick to exotics.

Year not years. That is also for the absolute most passive approach which is just an option not a requirement. There is wide range of time frames depending on how much effort you want to put in and how quickly you want to get it done.

There is also nothing that cost 2.5k even if you are in such a hurry as to use instant buy prices for everything. The gen 2.5 weapons top out at 2.4k for 2h weapons while gen1 are below 2k with most being below 1.5k

@Dawdler.8521 said:If you dont want to spend so much time, there is always ascended items and boom you're top tier. Easy and fairly cheap nowadays. You dont need legendaries. Its convience and a longterm goal. Its not like we need the gold for many other things.

It is not even much of a convenience, especially with the bugginess when templates are involved. The only good reason for crafting a legendary weapon is if you like the skin and/or the modified skill effects. Sometimes the modified skill effect is also a reason NOT to make it. I had to move my Meteorlogicus off my tempest because they changed Phoenix to use the generic Meteorlogicus projectile instead of a phoenix which looks much nicer.

if legendaries where fast and easy to get, they would not be legendaries.

They are supposed to cost you time.

That said, it is doable. Very doable in fact. Materials and gold can be farmed. There are guides. All it takes is the determination to do the same stuff over and over and over... if you can't do that, maybe legendaries are not meant for you.

that said, I am playing for a bit over 3 years now.I made:2 legendary weapons1 legendary backpack2 legendary trinkets6 legendary armor pieces

without going bankrupt or getting mad farming maps.

Ok, after bifröst, I swore never to do a legendary again... but at the moment I am just filling up mats for Claw of Khan Ur and Incinerator... (doing wvw. Lootbags for the win).

Legendaries are legendaries. If they were not massive time&material sinks, they would be ascended (and btw: ascended gear is so easy to get if you do lw3&lw4 and wvw/pvp it is borderline ridiculous)

Years ago is when I created first leg (Wings of Ascension)--it took all of my resources and lots of time (seasons). I said I'd never have enough patience/resources to do this again.

Fast forward to current day, I have made Nevermore, Astaralia, Exordium, Legendary Pvp Armor, Aurora, & am currently halfway complete with Vision. I completed all of these items casually and never used my credit card gem purchases (it was only a handful of times that I purchased gems) for resources; but cosmetic gem store items.

It is my belief that these items can be made casually--as long as you play a little bit of each area and GIVE IT TIME. Legendaries are a timesink.

Quite clearly some perspectives here are coming from a place of way too much free time.

Yes, Arenanet are trying to get you to buy your gold. No, it is not subtle.You need no more evidence for this than the homogenised and time-gated gold farms going hand in hand with content nerfs.

Lastly, my opinion on whether 2-3 months of 'grind' for a legendary, as some here have pointed out would be too 'little'.It is currently in a place where you would have to farm around 100 days of T4 fractals to outright buy some legendaries off the TP, equating to around 100 hours let's say.

100 hours sounds about right, 100 days? Er, no...

That being said, this game clearly has a massive issue with direction. Open-world farming has to be encouraged or the maps die, ergo both the company and the players are inevitably forced into this content, regardless of whether they enjoy it (probably one of the biggest turnoffs of MMOs, I'm sure you can all agree). Meanwhile in co-ordinated fashion, dungeon rewards are low and limited, fractal rewards are limited, raid rewards are limited.

I farmed what I wanted and bought the rest by turning gems to gold. Biggest thing I regret is doing the gift of exploration, I hated every second. I wish I would have just straight up bought the weapons off the TP. As an adult that works full time and doesn't play a lot of PvE the time investment is way too high for me. Its easier to just buy them which is no doubt part of anets plan. I just set back like $10-20 a paycheck for gems and eventually have enough to snag a new leggy

@Zexanima.7851 said:I farmed what I wanted and bought the rest by turning gems to gold. Biggest thing I regret is doing the gift of exploration, I hated every second. I wish I would have just straight up bought the weapons off the TP. As an adult that works full time and doesn't play a lot of PvE the time investment is way too high for me. Its easier to just buy them which is no doubt part of anets plan. I just set back like $10-20 a paycheck for gems and eventually have enough to snag a new leggy

This works for all involved: to you, because your time is money, and you value your time. To ANet, because purchasing gems is what keeps the company afloat. To the player who set the legendary in the TP, since they have more time than they know what to do with, and they bothered with all the hassle of making the weapon to make some gold.

Like it or not, this is capitalism at work, working as intended.

@Animism.7530 said:Quite clearly some perspectives here are coming from a place of way too much free time.

Yes, Arenanet are trying to get you to buy your gold. No, it is not subtle.You need no more evidence for this than the homogenised and time-gated gold farms going hand in hand with content nerfs.

This seems highly biased and baseless. Do you have any evidence to support your position. Many of these farms that got nerfed were harming other areas of the game.

Lastly, my opinion on whether 2-3 months of 'grind' for a legendary, as some here have pointed out would be too 'little'.It is currently in a place where you would have to farm around 100 days of T4 fractals to outright buy some legendaries off the TP, equating to around 100 hours let's say.

100 hours sounds about right, 100 days? Er, no...

It’s a legendary which is intended to be a long term goal. This is also as MMO which tends to involve a lot of grind. If this is an issue for you then you’re playing the wrong genre.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Animism.7530" said:Quite clearly some perspectives here are coming from a place of way too much free time.

Yes,
Arenanet are trying to get you to buy your gold
. No, it is
not subtle.
You need no more evidence for this than the homogenised and time-gated gold farms going hand in hand with content nerfs.

This seems highly biased and baseless. Do you have any evidence to support your position. Many of these farms that got nerfed were harming other areas of the game.

100 hours sounds about right, 100 days?
Er, no...

It’s a legendary which is intended to be a long term goal. This is also as MMO which tends to involve a lot of grind. If this is an issue for you then you’re playing the wrong genre.

1. Which part, the fact that all the methods of attaining gold are fairly and generally homogenised; that potential gold-farms are time-gated (FOTM, even raids for highly experienced groups), or that certain gold farms have been nerfed? -- Fear over the longevity of raids if people were able to farm it is moot; it's more an admission that the content is not repeatable for fun.

"Harming other areas of the game" is precisely my point about direction, with regards to open-world metas.

1. I already said 100 hours is reasonable for any legendary piece. 100 days if one were to pick a particular method (FOTM)? Or you could be forced into open-world to earn it sooner, or perhaps your wallet.

Thank you for reminding me what an MMO is at the end - it's not as though I bought both GW1 & 2 near to release.

There is an obvious content problem in this game which has existed since its release and has always hindered its potential; though I still keep playing.

@Animism.7530 said:

@Animism.7530 said:Quite clearly some perspectives here are coming from a place of way too much free time.

Yes,
Arenanet are trying to get you to buy your gold
. No, it is
not subtle.
You need no more evidence for this than the homogenised and time-gated gold farms going hand in hand with content nerfs.

100 hours sounds about right, 100 days?
Er, no...

1. Which part, the fact that all the methods of attaining gold are fairly and generally homogenised; that potential gold-farms are time-gated (FOTM, even raids for highly experienced groups), or that certain gold farms have been nerfed? -- Fear over the longevity of raids if people were able to farm it is moot; it's more an admission that the content is not repeatable for fun.

People tend to play the game for rewards more often than just for fun. Anet could add the often requested Marionette meta back to the game but if it lacked rewards, players would quickly stop doing it. While having both fun and rewarding would be nice, lacking rewards tends to make things fail regardless.

Gold from fractals is time-gated due to how much you get. I think players get like 50G from a full clear of the dailies and CMs. That would be crazy if it was not capped per day.

It is also a good thing if all gold farming methods are/were homogenized. This means that players could choose which best suits what they want to play. I believe that was the reason why Istan was nerfed. It was the most profitable farm by a large margin and was also causing T6 material prices to tank. Similar to how ABML caused ecto prices to tank.

Time is money.

Depending how you value your time, it might make more sense for you to buy enough gold with gems to afford your first legendary, sell that to fund your second, etc. Rinse and repeat at your leisure, on whatever timescale you prefer, and soon enough you will be wealthy enough to afford all the shinies you want. Your first legendary is the hardest. After that you only need the discipline and the patience to make to sell.

I bought my first precursor with gold from gems. That's it, the only time I ever needed to do the gems to gold thing. Now I got a lot of gold. You just need patience. And you really do need it if you're gonna follow that route. But that's what I did.

Hope that helps.Good luck.~TG

I play a couple of hours of wvw every week. Loot bags, reward track rewards, pip chests - they all fill up my mat storage nicely.

When I did my legendary armor, I did not need to farm mats, nor did I need to turn gems into gold. Just sell some stuff I did not need to buy the few things I did not have enough off.

Again, legendaries are not a 'must'. They are just shinies. They do not give better stats - the simple stat switching is nice to have, but not a must have.

Nothing is forcing a player to do legendaries - but if they choose to do them, they are many routes to the goal. Farming maps/metas, gold farming, gems-to-gold etc pp. Even just playing along and suddenly realizing you have everything you needed.

@Rickz.6230 said:I would welcome some kind of sound strategy to amassing the 600+ gold id need to finish Frostfang

Play more. That's the only sound strategy. You need to invest a lot of time (into farming events, or do other profitable content) in order to accumulate the gold required to craft a legendary. They are expensive for a reason. The less time you have for GW2, the longer it is going to take.

P.S. You don't need any legendaries, they are merely cosmetic, especially since ANet's equipment loadout system.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:P.S. You don't need any legendaries, they are merely cosmetic, especially since ANet's equipment loadout system.
[Laughs in Stat Selection]

I don't understand what's so funny. I merely pointed out that legendaries don't give you a special advantage anymore with GW2's loadout system, because using ascended gear instead is much cheaper and equally efficient now that your used equipment no longer takes up space in your inventory. Therefore, legendaries have become merely cosmetic and aren't worth the time and gold invested in them.

Still funny?

@Skotlex.7580 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:I farmed what I wanted and bought the rest by turning gems to gold. Biggest thing I regret is doing the gift of exploration, I hated every second. I wish I would have just straight up bought the weapons off the TP. As an adult that works full time and doesn't play a lot of PvE the time investment is way too high for me. Its easier to just buy them which is no doubt part of anets plan. I just set back like $10-20 a paycheck for gems and eventually have enough to snag a new leggy

This works for all involved: to you, because your time is money, and you value your time. To ANet, because purchasing gems is what keeps the company afloat. To the player who set the legendary in the TP, since they have more time than they know what to do with, and they bothered with all the hassle of making the weapon to make some gold.

I'm not an expert on economics and this is highly off topic it but I think MMO's with a system like this wouldn't be anything close to capitalism being every aspect is highly regulated by the developers. I could be wrong, maybe an experienced economist can lay it out in lay-mans terms. I know there are tons of papers around MMO economies.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

I'm not an expert on economics and this is highly off topic it but I think MMO's with a system like this wouldn't be anything close to capitalism being every aspect is highly regulated by the developers. I could be wrong, maybe an experienced economist can lay it out in lay-mans terms. I know there are tons of papers around MMO economies.

GW2 is a particular case of selling currency straight to the player. £8.50 GBP equates to 200 gold if you were to convert it as of right now.There are two things here... 200 gold for 8.50 would be considered a lot in terms of time. On the other and, 200 gold is nothing towards the vast majority of items that ultimately, every single player would want.

It's controlled capitalism.

This game is a perfect example of setting unrealistic, eternal grinds.

My thanks to everyone for your input! I do enjoy playing the game, so I will continue to do so without rushing. If I ever get to finishing the legendary, then it will feel earned I suppose. But I won't be working too actively towards it. In the end, for the money I have invested in this game to how long I've played, it's been a steal

@"Rickz.6230" said:My thanks to everyone for your input! I do enjoy playing the game, so I will continue to do so without rushing. If I ever get to finishing the legendary, then it will feel earned I suppose. But I won't be working too actively towards it. In the end, for the money I have invested in this game to how long I've played, it's been a steal

That is the best approach one can take, and you will fast realize, it is for many the most fun one too. :+1:

Just don't worry about it, enjoy the game and suddenly you will realize you have amassed so much "stuff", that the legendary is within reach (this might depend slightly on how ones personal spending habits are in game).