Sohothin Great Sword Skin

@One Kiss Away.9180 said:I always thought he was an Assassin ..usings a Sword and some kind of off hand but have only even seen him swing his Sohothin. Too bad the Reverent does not get a Greatsword instead of the staff, but a lot of characters already get a Greatsword. Fun to play, though.

Characters like Destiny's Edge and (ugh) Dragon's Watch are unique mechanically, they have skill combos that players, mobs and the red shirt npcs don't get. Prior to becoming a Rev Rytlock was a warrior, but one that used a combination of warrior and thief skills.

• 2 weeks later...

One handed swords being more of a mechanical thing in gw2 rather than based on any real sword classifications.In reality there are various types of sword that would be used one handed, 2 handed or in some cases can be used in either style.Im no sword expert but im pretty sure that the length of the Sword is usually the main factor there.

My guess is that Sohothin is a hand and a half type of longsword, more commonly known as a bastard sword.Hand a half swords are defined by having shorter blades than longswords but longer blades than shortswords which give them the ability to be used effectively with one hand or two.Rytlock normally uses Sohothin as a one handed sword but has been seen using it with two hands as well.In the Icebrood saga trailer you see him with both hands on the sword as shown here.

(Edit Figures Bast-Sword would get ironically kittified XD, Most of you guys will probably know what kind of sword im talking about either way.)

tZozpVw.jpg

@"Teratus.2859" said:One handed swords being more of a mechanical thing in gw2 rather than based on any real sword classifications.In reality there are various types of sword that would be used one handed, 2 handed or in some cases can be used in either style.Im no sword expert but im pretty sure that the length of the Sword is usually the main factor there.

My guess is that Sohothin is a hand and a half type of longsword, more commonly known as a kitten sword.Hand a half swords are defined by having shorter blades than longswords but longer blades than shortswords which give them the ability to be used effectively with one hand or two.Rytlock normally uses Sohothin as a one handed sword but has been seen using it with two hands as well.In the Icebrood saga trailer you see him with both hands on the sword as shown here.

tZozpVw.jpg

Can't help but chuckle at the "other" name for hand-and-half swords being censored. Speaking of which, while they are indeed defined by the length of the blade, they're also defined by the length of the hilt. A one handed arming sword typically gives you just enough space to fit your hand in and little more, a long-sword gives enough space for two hands, while and hand-and-half sword is rough in between as when using one with two hands you'll typically have to grip it partly around the pommel with the bottom hand (which is useful if you want to end your opponent rightly XD ).

Swords in GW2, both kinds, kind of throw all that out the window. On top of the blades being pretty ridiculous, the hilts are pretty crazy too, with one-handed swords having hilts fora long sword and, hell, some of the greatsword hilts are almost long enough for a short spear. The wide scope of hand sizes among the different races probably the reason for such a discrepancy, making more realistic hilt lengths and make them resize to match each of the races would probably been a royal bitch for the devs. There's also the possibility that many of the devs and designers are Anet don't really know the difference between different types of swords.

As such, lorewise we don't really know if Sohothin is an arming sword or a hand-and-half sword. I suppose it would be logical that in order for a charr to use a sword originally meant for a human to be a hand-and-half sword (relative to humans) otherwise Rytlock's hand might not fit.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:i would very much prefer not making it available, it would cheapen a 'god weapon'

the opposite could be said for the Fellblade, i was rather disappointed they made it a greatsword instead of a 1-handed sword as it was in GW1

There is the purple glowing one-handed version of it though.

that midget? no, i want my giant bad ass fellblade back ?

IF they did it, and only if, it would obviously be a new generational Legendary that would be crazy expensive to make. The reason I say this? The Shining Blade was a rare and powerful weapon as well given to the order, The Shining Blade, by the Seer. Same goes with the legendary dagger The Claw of the Khan-Ur, being only one in existence. So yes, they could do this, but it's doubtful since they've mentioned they didn't like the idea of putting this out there since the Fiery Dragon Sword is already a thing, just needing to play GW1 and linking your account to get it. While I'd LOVE to have it for my Revenant, because dual Sohothin would be killer, I can also see why they wouldn't want to and I respect that.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:One handed swords being more of a mechanical thing in gw2 rather than based on any real sword classifications.In reality there are various types of sword that would be used one handed, 2 handed or in some cases can be used in either style.Im no sword expert but im pretty sure that the length of the Sword is usually the main factor there.

My guess is that Sohothin is a hand and a half type of longsword, more commonly known as a kitten sword.Hand a half swords are defined by having shorter blades than longswords but longer blades than shortswords which give them the ability to be used effectively with one hand or two.Rytlock normally uses Sohothin as a one handed sword but has been seen using it with two hands as well.In the Icebrood saga trailer you see him with both hands on the sword as shown here.

tZozpVw.jpg

Can't help but chuckle at the "other" name for hand-and-half swords being censored. Speaking of which, while they are indeed defined by the length of the blade, they're also defined by the length of the hilt. A one handed arming sword typically gives you just enough space to fit your hand in and little more, a long-sword gives enough space for two hands, while and hand-and-half sword is rough in between as when using one with two hands you'll typically have to grip it partly around the pommel with the bottom hand (which is useful if you want to end your opponent rightly XD ).

Swords in GW2, both kinds, kind of throw all that out the window. On top of the blades being pretty ridiculous, the hilts are pretty crazy too, with one-handed swords having hilts fora long sword and, hell, some of the greatsword hilts are almost long enough for a short spear. The wide scope of hand sizes among the different races probably the reason for such a discrepancy, making more realistic hilt lengths
and
make them resize to match each of the races would probably been a royal kitten for the devs. There's also the possibility that many of the devs and designers are Anet don't really know the difference between different types of swords.

As such, lorewise we don't really know if Sohothin is an arming sword or a hand-and-half sword. I suppose it would be logical that in order for a charr to use a sword originally meant for a human to be a hand-and-half sword (relative to humans) otherwise Rytlock's hand might not fit.

Haha yeah it's all kind of screwy with the sizing and the different races and their anatomy etc

I don't think lorewise there is any thought on what kind of swords certain skins are supposed to represent.Sohothin originally being Prince Ruriks sword and used with one hand in Gw1 then becoming Rytlocks sword in Gw2 again used with one hand but in pictures like above clearly having the hilt space for a Charr to 2 hand it.Logically considering the size difference between Charr and Human hands that would pretty much make Sohothin a 2 handed longsword/greatsword to a human xD

There is one thing about the blade that maybe relevant though, it was Balthazars originally so it is essentially a divine god weapon so it may have the ability to change it's form and size to suit it's wielder..A little while back Sohothin and the Firey Dragon Sword did get a new slightly bigger and more detailed skin so that could be a thing the devs could write into the lore.